Nicole's Reviews > Secrets of My Hollywood Life

Secrets of My Hollywood Life by Jen Calonita

Dec 20, 2008

Read in December, 2008

242pp. Park Avenue, New York.
Little,Brown and Company. $7.99
ISBN: 978-0-316-15443-7

“What if? Your picture was taped inside teenage boys' lockers across America, your closets were bursting with never-worn designer clothing, and the tabloids constantly asked whether you were losing your "good girl" status?”

The quote above was how this book, Secrets of the Hollywood by Jen Calonita grabbed my attention, I' m pretty sure it pulled yours too. You will really gobble this one up. The narrator is Kaitlin Burke, one of the hottest teen celebrities in town who stars in an OC type prime time soap. Calonita sold me on the idea that Kaitlin life, though more glamorous, has some of the same problems any typical teenager has. Exhausted, Kaitlin is tired from all the expectations of her parents and her attempts to please them. So, she cooks up a plan to get the break she wants, a very interesting one too. Fans of Meg Cabot’s Princess Diaries or Ann Brashares’s Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants will totally love this one.

16 year old Kaitlin Burke has been on the same nighttime soap -- Family Affair -- for the past twelve years. In between interviews, press junkets, trips abroad, and other smaller parts, she's had to deal with her mother who seems to be living her own life through that of her daughters, and her lifetime enemy, Sky Mackenzie. Kailtin has everything, from friendship to enemy, love to hate, career to school and every single problem a teenager faces. But she never gives up.

Sounds grim, doesn’t it? Nope, it’s pretty interesting. A fantastic author like Calonita includes interesting plots that brings you to a whole different world – filled with love, hate, friendship, betrayal and family, better yet, it contains humor too.

As times flies, Kaitlin realizes that there's more to life than being on Teen People's list of hottest young stars, Sure, there's an audition for a new movie by hot director Hutch Adams that she'd love to land, but she's also supremely fatigued. Working nearly nonstop for twelve years has comes to the end of the line, when Kaitlin has cooked up the perfect plan to take a break over hiatus-- she'll attend Clark Hall, not as Kaitlin Burke, BUT as regular student Rachel Rogers, a girl from London visiting the U.S. for two months.

Absorbing and extraordinary, Kaitlin, or should I say Rachel, will experience everything for the first time. Behind the Gucci bags, Abercrombie & Fitch, and more, Kailtin is just a typical teenager, overcoming obstacles she faces one step at a time, with a helping hand of her extremely bad temper makes things even more exciting!
Just when she thought everything is going along according to plan, rumors start to spreads and as her double life is threatened by exposure, Kaitlin will have to learn what's really important in life-- true friends and family, whether they know her as Kaitlin or Rachel; the belief in herself as an actress; and the blessing and curse that is the media.

From this book, I learned that no matter what happens, your family will still be by your side, even if it’s a selfish act, they will still stand by you and they got your back, just like Kailtin’s parents, they helped her went through the bad times.

This fascinating book kept surprises around every corner and I never knew what was coming. Along with the problems that most teenagers faced, you will devour it in no time. Not everything is as great as Paris Hilton, Lindsay Lohan, or Nicole Richie would like us to believe, but it sure is filled with excitement!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Secrets of My Hollywood Life.

01/22/2014 marked as: read

message 1: by Megan (new)

Megan omg, I saw this book on the bookshelf but I was hesitated to read it, and ended up buying something else. Now that I've read your review, I want to read it! I wonder if Kaitlin would get exposed? Anyways,I was capitived from the start. Good Job Nicole!

message 2: by Conor (new)

Conor Well, only because I don't like books like that I'm probably not going to read it. However, from the start your review has grabbed my attention and made me consider everything. You really made this review to the extraordinary taking it to the next level. I can tell you spent a lot of time interpreting the book. You made great real life connections and the theme of the story is evident. Your explanation of the plot really interests me and I'm really looking forward to hearing more about this series and your book reviews. Well done, Nicole. I liked it a lot!

message 3: by Conor (new)

Conor You made necessary assumptions towards the middle and your review was very persuasive

Nicole Conor wrote: "Well, only because I don't like books like that I'm probably not going to read it. However, from the start your review has grabbed my attention and made me consider everything. You really made this..."

Thanks Conor (:

Nicole Megan wrote: "omg, I saw this book on the bookshelf but I was hesitated to read it, and ended up buying something else. Now that I've read your review, I want to read it! I wonder if Kaitlin would get exposed? A..."

You'll just have to find out by reading the book ! Maybe i can borrow my book to you(: And Thanks

message 6: by Alexander (new)

Alexander i really like your review! you make the book sound really interesting because you talk about how materialism isnt important and how theres so much more to a person than the brand they wear. good job!

Nicole Alexander wrote: "i really like your review! you make the book sound really interesting because you talk about how materialism isnt important and how theres so much more to a person than the brand they wear. good job!"

Thanks Alex , And alex do you know if irene or philip posted their reviews yet ? (:

Irene I really like your book review, it just really grabbed me in. I totally enjoyed it. You made it sounds so interesting I want to read it now! I recommend True Confessions of a Hollywood Starlet and (the next sequel) More Confessions of a Hollywood Starlet if you haven't read it, yet.

Nicole Irene wrote: "I really like your book review, it just really grabbed me in. I totally enjoyed it. You made it sounds so interesting I want to read it now! I recommend True Confessions of a Hollywood Starlet and ..."

Thanks =)

Nicole nour wrote: "WELL I LOVE YER BOOK REVIEW.
just 'cause yu wrote it=DD
"

I love you Nour (:
Thanks =D

Nicole nour wrote: "hahha[: yer welcome.
(and fer the record im always on yer side before wendys=D shes mean to everyoneee[= ttralallalalaa"

Aw thanks =)
Glad you notice lol jk

message 12: by Serack (new)

Serack Nicole Wow Great Review.
Agreeing with Conor when I started to read your review it did grab my attention. I liked how you made a real life connection to the story. I liked how you said No matter what happens, your family will still be by your side and thats ture.. Excellent review