Start by marking “Thinking in Java [With CDROM]” as Want to Read:
Thinking in Java [With CDROM]

Thinking in Java [With CDROM]

4.13  ·  Rating details ·  1,688 Ratings  ·  67 Reviews
The O'Reilly book is popular because it takes common programming problems and provides the solutions in Java. Programmers love learning this way. Schildt's programming solutions are more unique, less common but more interesting, and matched with his writing style and name recognition makes for an easy buy. The PTR Java book is aimed more at the beginner, rather than someon ...more
Published December 6th 2002 by Prentice Hall PTR (first published February 19th 1998)

Zach
Mar 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bruce's approach to teaching the Java fundamentals is refreshingly different from most Learn Java books. I have been working with Java for three years, starting with college courses and the very basic Teach Yourself Java books. Most books simply go into syntax and fundamentals from a 'how-to' approach. 'Thinking in Java' is more concerned with explaining the Java language's design and behavior, and how the current topic fits in with Object Oriented Programming. I found myself having constant, "O ...more
Jonathan
Feb 08, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book suffers from the same problem that many computer science books have. It seems that Eckel believes that learning a programming language should be completed on an exponential curve.

0 - basic... "This is a a variable" type stuff.
10 - this is how you make a function.
100 - you need to develop classes in this manner
1000 - when you're calling from the stack...

I know that one should have some computer science background when reading this book, however it seems to me that one should either star
Anton Petrov
Mar 15, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Intermediate programmers that want to learn Java.
Shelves: in-english
I lived to see the last page of that book!

It definitely expanded my vision and understanding of the programming world of Java. The book is full of details and examples. I found them a bit too many. They would serve much better as a reference rather than to teach something about the language itself. Nevertheless they absolutely satisfied my curiosity at the points where I had some extra in my bag.

I would recommend this book to the intermediate programmer. I don't think it is a book for the very b
Denis
Jan 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Книгу не сразу понял, но продолжал ее изучать.
Когда же дошел до середины, осознал всю прелесть ее изложения. И простоту примеров, их понятность и то, как излагаются основные концепции языка.

Вся книга построена на описании реализации концепций ООП на языке java. И делается это очень лаконично и красиво!
Must have!
Vladimir Ryashentsev
Книжка очень объемная. Помимо того что написано в оглавлении, автор делает два шага влево и спиралью исследует все вокруг. Эффективнее было бы разделить ее на 3 книги:
- то что указано в содержании;
- методики программирования;
- прочее не указанное в содержании, но содержащееся в книге.

Еще из минусов - встречается плохо читаемый код, не очень хороший пример для начинающих программистов.

Плюс здесь в основном в обхвате тем. Прочитав эту книгу будешь знать шаблоны, потоки, ввод/вывод... и много др
Anurag Misra
Jun 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: programming
Excellent read. Recommended for new comers, as well as experienced developers. This book gives an insight and perception into writing code, and working of the language no other programming reference manuals come close to. This book will help you develop your approach to design and object oriented programming.
Dmytro Karataiev
May 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A bit outdated, code listing are hard to follow due to a bad text formatting.
Stepan Soboliev
Feb 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book. Many moments described in detail. But not very good translation into Russian.
Janez Perme
Nov 02, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Janez by: Amazon in Goodreads reviews
This one is definitely not for a beginner. You better have some previous knowledge about Java. Knowing C/C++ would be a plus. At least elementary knowledge.

Pros: Has some good tricks explained. Sometimes it goes into great details. Also, it presents some examples that could be quite useful in everyday tasks. Anonymous classes were clearly explained. The same goes for Exceptions.

Cons: Explanations of patterns were inconvenient. Explanations of generics were also inconvenient - not clear enough. M
Ezequiel
Nov 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good intro to Java, although it's a bit outdated now (the fourth edition focuses on Java 5 while the latest standard is Java 8 from 2014), but it's good to have an idea of several aspects of the language. Coming from C++ I found it entertaining and clear, the auther often makes a parallel between both languages. I'll try to compensate by reading Java 8 in Action next.

I didn't go through the last chapter as I've heard that there's a new way of implementing a user interface, and also I'm not inter
Phúc Võ
Feb 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The first book which inspires me a lot, convert me to the Java Religion (just kidding). It tells you from the fundamental of programming concepts, represented in Java, to a interesting sample projects that spans through multiple chapters.
Josh Hamacher
Oct 01, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: programming
I'm giving this book four stars despite not having read it cover-to-cover. It's a massive tome; doing so would be impractical. But as a reference it can't be beat. I've found answers to most of my questions about Java in this book. My usual workflow:

1. Google my question.
2. Read a couple web pages.
3. If those don't make sense (which is often the case), consult this book. Often I can find clear, concise answers and advice.
Eric
Oct 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In my mind, this book is a seminal work. It was the first real programming book I ever read, and although I've never done anything significant in Java, the author's explanation of the various object-oriented concepts has served me well over the years. My only sorrow is that the version I read was concerning the rather early Java 2 (1.2) and so many of the new OOP concepts (generics and dependency injection anyone?) I have had to learn fresh.
Rahul Mahindru
Sep 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book to understand the basics of java and how things work internally. It's one time book for java developers. If you want to know the best practices for java, I will refer "Effective Java". But to understand "Effective Java", you should be very clear about java basics and this book is best for understanding the basics :)
Ben Seymour
Feb 06, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: New Java programmer
Shelves: it
I read this for the first time when I had been programming in Java for about 9 months, and I really wished I had read it on day 1. (It was an earlier version that I read at this time).
The author has the confidence to make it freely available online, and know that people will still go out and buy it, even if it is just by way of a thankyou.
Daniel Apatiga
Feb 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book at first looks like it is tailored to people who have no understanding of Java, data-structures, or other languages, but it is! Although my professor did not use the book very much in class and it was required, I learned a lot from it. Thanks big book.
Maciek Zalewski
Jun 20, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you want to learn Java, this book is for you. This is probably the best book about the language (at least that's what I've heard ;)). However, maybe that's because of translation (I've read it in Polish), sometimes the book was really difficult to read and understand.
Hanji
Sep 14, 2011 rated it liked it
Not as good as I'd hoped. It definitely scores points for completeness and accuracy, but I do not feel that the material is presented in a very beginner-friendly way. If you are just starting out with Java, this is an okayish book but not the best.
Said A
Sep 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: programming
That's the first book I read to learn more about Java programming language. After a little research I found that this book was among the "must read"'s for Java developers. Good insights, to the point and no unnecessary clutter text...
Zigurd Mednieks
May 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Most of the time you will find an excellent explanation of Java constructs and concepts in this book. This is what I tell readers of Programming Android to get for places where they need to bolster their knowledge of Java basics.
João Fernandes
Too slow on basic concepts. So if you join that with the fact that just the size of the book is scaring enough... I just felt that the book was never able to motivate me. That said, sometimes is a good reference.
Aaron M
May 11, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bruce Eckel really nails it. I'm not a fan of Java, but when I need to brush up this is the book i turn to. It really does encourage you to think in Java. Which somehow is different than just thinking like a programmer. HA!
Khaled
Oct 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent book on Programming in Java, although not recommended for total beginners to programming. A prior hands-on experience in Java or C/C++ is required. The book covers the basic and several pitfalls. Recommended for intermediate programmers.
Ambarish Hazarnis
Jan 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: technical
I doubt whether this book is made for someone who is starting with Java or programming. However, with some background knowledge, the book will aid you to you in realizing and start using the power of Java.
Salvatore
Mar 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
While the book is old and not up to date on the newest versions of the Java programming language, this was (and in many ways still is) the go to book for learning Java. Well written and a pleasure to read. And worthwhile as a reference source for someone new to Java.
Naveen
Jan 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Masterpiece to excel in java
Manoj Kumar
Sep 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: java
Bruce Eckel continues to amaze as always
Anandh
thinking java is good enough to survive
Dmytro
Jul 29, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
nice book
not so structured as famous SCJP book - but with own strong point
Rachel
Jan 19, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not awful, but the (free) Sun tutorials are just as good and much more up to date.
  • Spring in Action
  • Java Concurrency in Practice
  • Effective Java Programming Language Guide
  • Java Generics and Collections
  • Java Performance
  • Core Java 2, Volume I--Fundamentals (Core Series)
  • Refactoring: Improving the Design of Existing Code
  • Enterprise Integration Patterns: Designing, Building, and Deploying Messaging Solutions
  • Head First Servlets and JSP: Passing the Sun Certified Web Component Developer Exam
  • Programming in Scala
  • The Ruby Programming Language
  • Java Persistence with Hibernate
  • Agile Software Development, Principles, Patterns, and Practices (Alan Apt Series)
  • Design Patterns: Elements of Reusable Object-Oriented Software
  • Head First Java
  • Test Driven Development: By Example
  • Modern Operating Systems
  • Applying UML and Patterns: An Introduction to Object-Oriented Analysis and Design and Iterative Development

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »