Start by marking “Conquerors' Pride (The Conquerors Saga, #1)” as Want to Read:
Conquerors' Pride (The Conquerors Saga, #1)

Conquerors' Pride

(The Conquerors Saga #1)

Мирът в междузвездната общност внезапно е нарушен. Четири извънземни звездни кораба от неизвестен произход атакуват безпричинно отряд с особено назначение на Мироопазващите сили и за шест изпълнени с ужас минути напълно го унищожават. Властите твърдят, че никой не е оцелял. Но лорд Стюарт Кавана, бивш член на парламента, успява да научи, че един човек може би е оцелял и е ...more
Published September 1994 by Spectra Bantam Doubleday Dell (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Conquerors' Pride, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Conquerors' Pride

Start your review of Conquerors' Pride (The Conquerors Saga, #1)
Mark
Oct 21, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Hard Core Fans of the Space Opera Genre Looking for Something New
Shelves: sciencefiction
"Conqueror's Pride" by Timothy Zahn is a good, solid space opera. It's a good read for fans of the genre.

By "space opera", I mean a science fiction book that doesn't really explore any hard scientific themes, but instead focuses on plot and adventure. Maybe there will be some character development, but you definitely won't have a lot of scientific explanations as to how people can travel huge differences without the relativistic time dilation effect, and the aliens encountered won't be really we
Mel Anie
Sep 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rating: 4

Conquerors' Pride is the first installment in The Conquerors Saga by Timothy Zahn, author of several StarWars books. Conquerors' Pride is a sci-fi space opera which focuses on adventure and story of its characters. The story is not as much complex as I feared it would be. At some points, I felt lost and had plenty of question. However, with progress, most of those questions found their answer while some of them probably will be answered in the next book.

We are introduced to the
Ron
Dec 11, 2016 rated it liked it
“When lives are at stake, you do what you have to, whether it’s personally comfortable for you or not.”

Typical Cold War-era space opera. Independently-minded heroes take on bumbling bureaucracy as well as the heinous enemy. Standard space opera opening: new alien obliterates friendly human greeters.

“No empire looks oppressive to those in power.”

Well conceived (first published in 1994) and well written. The technology and science aged well: despite being written before the advent of smart phones,
Dmitry
May 26, 2015 rated it liked it
An interesting start to the saga, though by itself this book is hardly a novel. Feels like a commissioned work, but a good one, with some interesting aliens and a vague human polity that tentatively rules the stars. Will start Conquerors' Heritage immediately, if only because of the abrupt - way way abrupt - ending here, with nothing resolved or exposed beyond barebones technical detail and very little in the way of worldbuilding. ...more
Apr 11, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
This book had a similar feel to the Thrawn Star Wars trilogy that Zahn also wrote. In my opinion, that's a good thing. Conquerers' Pride really sucked me in, and I had a hard time putting it down until I had read all 389 pages of it.

Part of the reason I liked the book is that as far as I can tell it was written solely to be entertaining, and that's what I was looking for when I checked it out at the library. It didn't try to teach me a lesson, it didn't have deep hidden symbolisms, etc.

Great bo
May 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: scifi-fantasy, scifi
(Update July 2013: The Conqueror's series is one of the most impressive stories I have ever read (I've read 2000). Although not all the books earned an A grade on first read because of the complexity, the overall series is a strong grade A. I suspect each story will earn a grade A on second read. The story includes more characters, situations, interactions, species, and concepts than most authors deal with in a lifetime. Yet the author manages to keep it all straight for the reader, an impressiv ...more
Jim
May 30, 2009 rated it really liked it
This is a trilogy that is one continuous story: Conquerors' Pride, Conquerors' Heritage, and Conquerors' Legacy.

The first book opens from the Human point of view. They detect an alien ship and try to open communications with them. As soon as they attempt to say hello, the aliens open fire on them. The Humans are fully justified in defending themselves and going to war with these Aliens.

The opening of the second book revisits this initial contact from the Alien point of view. They detect "alien"
Ford Prefect
Nov 29, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: science-fiction
I love many of Timothy Zahn's books, but not this one. I read the first 100 pages before giving up in boredom. There started to be more action occurring in the book before I stopped, but since I didn't care if the main characters lived or died, succeeded or failed, I stopped reading in spite of the action.

The good:
Solid action... when it occurs.

The boring:
Lack of interest in any of the characters. They were pretty bland and uninteresting.

Overall:
If you don't care about character development and
Janet Sketchley
One minor character in Conquerors’ Pride is a Sanduul artist who does threadings: pictures made of spiderlike silk. Her finished images reveal two different moods depending on the angle of view: the same subject, two separate effects.

This was my second reading of Conquerors’ Pride, and I enjoyed watching Timothy Zahn do his own “threading” of the story. In true Zahn style, the picture as viewed from the end of the book has a different feel from what you see while you’re reading. Re-reading, I co
An Odd1
Jan 15, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: action
"But we've got an hour. We'll think of something" p 310 Lord Cavanaugh.

Cliffhanger. Scary fighting. Politics behind scenes. War against alien Zzzrrrh, or something like that. We root for the sole human captive. Can he survive on till the few elite fighters bring his elder brother? (view spoiler) His doctor sister gets trapped on planet Dorcas, under first attack. What about the ultimate weapon, supposedly in parts scattered around the universe for safety after the last big
Luke Zwanziger
Dec 01, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
This was way better than "The Icharus Hunt." A well written story with many mysteries that slowly unfold. Zahn is able to balance several subplots while all the while introducing you to new concepts and new aliens.

While a classic "unknown aliens invading" story, mixed with the "rescue family member against all odds," it is nevertheless an entertaining read.

This book is definitely built as part of a trilogy. So don't expect all of your questions to be answered by the end, but more like a cathart
Royce Sears
Jan 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I finally went back and read Conquerors' Pride after finding Conquerors' Heritage in a used book store years ago. Zahn's in-depth development of the Zhirrzh species and his ability to tell the story from such a unique perspective in a relatable way makes the Conquerors Saga a page-turning thrill-ride from start to finish.

Royce Sears
Jun 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When his son is captured by previously unknown aliens after a sudden battle a retired politician enlists his remaining son and a daughter to mount a search. Pretty fair space opera.
M Hamed
Mar 05, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: military-sci-fi, 2017
he manged to make an interstellar war between aliens with superior tech and humans with a chance made super weapon
boring
Jonathan Koan
May 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Of the three main genre's that I like, Fantasy, Science Fiction, and Media Tie-In fiction, Sci-Fi is the hardest for me to jump into. I love a lot of Sci-Fi books, but they are really difficult to find an engaging story. By contrast, just about every Star Wars(or other Media tie in fiction) or Fantasy really draw me in instantly.

This book and author are the exception to the rule.

Timothy Zahn is always a "win" and this book was no different. The premise was interesting and instantly had me wantin
Jean-Luc
Oct 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
First contact with new alien species is always so exciting, but it's not as much fun when the aliens respond to "Hello there!" with overwhelming firepower. The book opens with a tense battle as Pheylan Cavanagh tries to understand how everyone is dying so quickly... and then the battle is over with him as the sole survivor. The aliens, which the human-dominated government dubs The Conquerors, take Pheylan hostage and begin interrogating him.

Pheylan's father Stewart notices his body wasn't found
Feb 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Oh I do enjoy Timothy Zahn's writing, and it's always fun to go back to it. I've only read his individual novels (outside of Star Wars), so I'm curious how a full trilogy holds up. So far it feels like there is less of the "systems" sort of approach I love in his sci fi (taking one ecological principle and running with it), but perhaps it just takes longer to develop across three books. Certainly enough hints at a more complex story that I'm happy to continue on.
Rylan S.
Mar 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Faster-paced, action-packed science fiction.

Certainly not a technical read, but there was enough futuristic/alien technology and novelty to the world Zahn constructs that I stayed engaged. He jumps from the perspective of one character to another in a way that I found really enjoyable. There is also some intrigue in this book that I didn't expect-some questions hang around that made me want to find the answers. Some weaker aspect of this book (granted, Zahn didn't appear to try to accomplish th
Scott
May 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
How is this not better known? I know Timothy Zahn's work from his revitalizing of the Star Wars franchise with his Thrawn books, but this original stuff by him is amazing! Very entertaining, and very good world building.
Pat Beard
Oct 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Solid invasion novel. Liked the family at the center of the story. Looking forward to the rest of the trilogy.
Loki
Feb 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
An interesting start to the series, a little short on Zahn's signature twistiness, but promising more to come.
Rob Markley
Mar 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: scifi
Didn't work for me. Not enough depth
Alan Miller
Jun 16, 2018 rated it it was ok
Man I did not enjoy this book, which is surprising because this stuff is my usual cup of tea. I would recommend anything by Mr. Zahn though
Amelia Nichole Defield
Jul 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, owned, scifi
Great book, lively characters and unique aliens.
Gary Jackson
Feb 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book

I liked a lot. It is nicely paved and has good characters. I look forward to the next book in the se r.
Bradley
Mar 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Not bad. Solid story. =)
Denis
Jun 25, 2020 rated it liked it
An interesting premise, but overly long - needn't have been a trilogy. Book 3 is the strongest and brings things together satisfyingly, but it takes an awfully long time to get to that payoff.
The Damsel in the Library
Turns out I do like space stories.

Full review:
John Sugden
Jul 14, 2015 rated it it was ok
I read some of Zahn's Star Wars books as a teenager and they were better than most. When I spotted this in the local second hand shop I picked it up in a mood of pure curiosity.

As the two star review should indicate 'it was ok'. It's a basic Space Opera world with touches of science, mainly difficulties of interstellar communication but not much else. The plethora of made up names and new words are meant to add colour, sometimes this works. At times they are plain irritating. What would have bee
Seth the Zest
Feb 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-read-2017
Well-written space opera. This book skews toward hard science fiction and rugged individualism but was still rather enjoyable. It pulled me in so I finished it about a day after starting.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Footfall
  • The Crowfield Curse (Crowfield Abbey, #1)
  • Iconoclast: A Neuroscientist Reveals  How to Think Differently
  • The Atomic Bazaar: The Rise of the Nuclear Poor
  • Transition
  • Legion versus Phalanx
  • Salvation Lost (Salvation Sequence #2)
  • Blind Man's Bluff: The Untold Story of American Submarine Espionage
  • Dark Force Rising
  • Star Wars Omnibus: Shadows of the Empire
  • A Forest of Stars (The Saga of Seven Suns, #2)
  • Superman: Birthright
  • Superman: The Last Family of Krypton (Elseworlds)
  • Superman: Secret Identity
  • Superman: Earth One, Volume 3
  • Superman: Earth One, Volume 2
  • Diamond Dogs, Turquoise Days
  • The Engines of God (The Academy #1)
Timothy Zahn attended Michigan State University, earning a Bachelor of Science degree in physics in 1973. He then moved to the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign and achieved an M.S. degree in physics in 1975. While he was pursuing a doctorate in physics, his adviser became ill and died. Zahn never completed the doctorate. In 1975 he had begun writing science fiction as a hobby, and he bec ...more

The Conquerors Saga (3 books)
  • Conquerors' Heritage (The Conquerors Saga, #2)
  • Conquerors' Legacy (The Conquerors Saga, #3)