Start by marking “Working With Unix Processes” as Want to Read:
Working With Unix Processes

Working With Unix Processes

A crash course in Unix programming for the uninitiated. Working With Unix Processes (WWUP for short) is a look at programming with the building blocks of a Unix system, something that's been done for decades. WWUP is the only book addressing Unix programming specifically for the modern web developer.

Learn the semantics of powerful concepts like forking, signals
Published December 20th 2011

To ask other readers questions about Working With Unix Processes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Working With Unix Processes

Start your review of Working With Unix Processes
Bo Jeanes
There was some useful information in here but for the most part I felt like the whole thing would be better suited as a series of blog posts. The writing style is weak and ranty at times and there wasn't enough history, depth, or context to the sections. It felt like a summary of RDocs.

There were also a few moments when reading this that I felt the author described things incorrectly and gave me the impression that he had not explored this topic beyond what Ruby offers. I was really hoping this
Stuart Nelson
Apr 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
storimer had a clear style, fantastic formatting, and relevant examples.

he kept it short and concise.

this was interacting with the kernel entirely through ruby, although he did always reference methods by their man page.

awesome for a ruby dev, good for someone that isn't a c programmer and wants some info on how processes work, what can be done with them, and common unix idioms (pre-forking, e.g.)

i'm very much looking forward to his books on socket
Kien Trung
Jan 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book explain quite detail about how unix process works
Luis Segura
Aug 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good overview and examples.
Mohsen
May 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a ruby on rails developer. I enjoyed a lot. snippets written in Ruby. Nice processes tricks are explained.
Gary Boland
Quite light but well aimed at beginning rubyists and I appreciated that it wasn't another tomb
surendranath chowdary bobba
Quick read for ruby programmers. Not so much depth in the content, but helpful for novice unix users.
Tom Purl
Jun 21, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

It's difficult for me to identify the target audience for this book. It's got some good stuff for lots of different people, including systems administrators, Unix scripters, and Ruby developers.

In a nutshell, this book gives you a medium-level tutorial on creating, managing, and forking new processes on Unix-based systems. Specifically, the author shows you how to use many powerful features of the Unix system API using Ruby.

This topic may sound mundane or even useless to
Karim El-Husseiny
Jan 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Such great book to give an introduction about how UNIX processes communicate with each other under the hood. I've learned a lot about process resources and file descriptors, and I've got a deep knowledge about how forking processes really works, the lifecycle of daemon process, how to spawn terminal process and even good understanding of how preforking web servers work such as Unicorn versus non-preforking web servers.
Now go forth and read the book! And may the fork(2) be with you! :)
Murali
Nov 28, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good, focused look at UNIX processes. Useful for me as I'm trying to get my system administration skills up to scratch; not sure if it would have general appeal, however.

It's a very short book; this is helpful in some ways, as it only covers the fundamentals of process management and job controls on Unix systems, nothing extraneous, but some people might feel hard done by having spent £13 on it.

Max
Nov 08, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is very short and to the point. It was informative, but about as informative as attending a one-day class in UNIX programming. Somehow, I expect more from programming books. That said, if you have only a small amount of time, you don't know much about pids and ssids and fork and exec and pipes and streams, and you want to learn something small, consider picking up this book.
Katherine
Sep 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well-written and concise. For sure most who spent reasonable years as a Ruby developer know how to find running Ruby process and kill them, daemonize a process, use gems like god and unicorn but probably have never considered understanding the code behind what makes all of these tasks possible. It's very interesting and could be useful in the future.
Nikhil Mulley
Although I am not a Ruby guy, I think the doc does provide a beginner friendly better perspective and pragmatic approach to understanding and handling UNIX/Linux processes. The coverage on zombie and orphan processes could be synthesized and improved for much better reading though. (No offense, Wikipedia has better wiki on these topics though).
Milad Khajavi
Jun 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
خوبیش اینه که به جای زبان سی، مفاهیم پردازهها رو با زبان روبی توضیح میده. اینطوری کمتر وقت آدم درگیر جزئیات پیاده سازی زبان سی میشه و بیشتر به مفاهیم تکیه میکنه تا مسائل پیاده سازی.
خوبه قبل از کتاب Linux Advanced Programming خونده بشه.
Michał Szajbe
Dec 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read. Learned things I wasn't previously exposed to as a Rails programmer. Good introduction to Unix systems in general.
Joe James
Sep 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Learnt so much from this book, I have an underlying knowledge I rely on for my day job!
Philip Cristiano
Jun 04, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great intro to UNIX processes. If you use Linux and haven't worked with processes much this will get you up to speed very quickly!
Steve
Jul 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Super duper awesome.
Hector
Jan 03, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Concise and useful, especially if you're developing with Ruby on UNIX.
Marcel Hlopko
Aug 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
clear, focused and short. I learned all the missing pieces and didn't "waste time" with the boring stuff. Perfect book.
Gmarik
Aug 04, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Easy to follow and understand!
Recommended!
Charles Wood
May 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very clear examples and terrific understanding on how UNIX processes work. Clear explanation on how Ruby uses the utilities provided by the kernel as well.
Nathan Powell
Apr 01, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So far this is a great book. It's short, but well written. I am looking forward to referring to it in the future when trying to solve problems that require I interact with processes.
Dan
Jul 19, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love this book. Short, to the point, very informative. Not too sure on how I could use the information learned but still enjoyed the read.
Scott
Jun 21, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good short read on UNIX processes. Useful for system administrators as well as programmers. As I was reading it I thought of some possible future uses for some of my own sysadmin tools.
Jeffrey L. James

• Async JavaScript
  • Programming Clojure
  • Understanding Computation: From Simple Machines to Impossible Programs

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »