Start by marking “PostgreSQL: Up and Running” as Want to Read:
PostgreSQL: Up and Running

PostgreSQL: Up and Running

If you’re thinking about migrating to the PostgreSQL open source database system, this guide provides a concise overview to help you quickly understand and use PostgreSQL’s unique features. Not only will you learn about the enterprise class features in the 9.2 release, you’ll also discover that PostgeSQL is more than just a database system—it’s also an impressive applicati ...more
Published July 6th 2012 by O'Reilly Media (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about PostgreSQL, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about PostgreSQL

Louis
Sep 21, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: computer
Compared to most books that introduce a full featured relational database management system, PostgreSQL: Up and Running is surprisingly short. It achieves this by being focused on its purpose, and doing it well. It is aimed at someone who knows a little bit about databases, although not necessarily a full featured client-server one, and brings them up to speed on both database server administration in general and PostgreSQL administration in general. It continues to introduce you to features tha ...more
Sebastian Gebski
Jun 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very useful.

Doesn't start with (re-)introducing SQL standard, focusing on PostgreSQL specifics instead. Covers specific topics like table inheritance or FDW. 3rd edition (the one I've read) is up-to-date with PostgreSQL 10 - which is really nice. All (well, can't guarantee that ...) Postgres-specific syntax enhancements are also described.

What did I miss then? Each DB has it's own implementation quirks - ones you should know to be able to truly optimize now only your queries, but also your opera
Ulas Tuerkmen
The idea for this book is in fact rather good: A quick reminder of features that set PostgreSQL apart and how one can start using them quickly. This is also achieved to a decent extent. PostgreSQL is an extremely versatile and complete database, with lots of features the average programmer does not know about. This causes many developers to resort to hacky alternative methods (such as writing slow code to achieve what PostgreSQL does natively and faster), or to other persistent stores that tout ...more
Erlend
Jan 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have been using PostgreSQL for years, but only learned things as I went. I read this book to get an overview of modern PostrgreSQL usage and to fill gaps in my knowledge, and for that it worked quite well. The only negative thing is that quite a lot of the book is really just summarizing documentation without really adding anything to it.
Atif Rahman
Oct 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great intro book to a tech stack is one that makes you quickly get the core gist of all key features and differentiators and this book with its quick read and very convincing examples and snippets showcase the key capacities of postgres without sifting through the internet.

A great quick read (a couple of sessions) means you get the gist very quickly and are 'up and running' in no time.
Arthur
Oct 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Like I have already mentioned in my previous blog post databases are lately in the spotlight, left and right. This was the primary reason for me to choose yet another book on databases for review*. I know that NoSQL data stores are more trendy for now, but the traditional RDBMS' would not give its sheer install base out quite easily like that yet to them. The secondary reason was, while I am a full time in SQL Server, I suspected I may be missing something by not getting familiar with what most ...more
Anton Antonov
Oct 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: technical
The best PostgresSQL book to date. I was reading it this year in early Q2 and just now I remembered that I forgot to check it in goodreads.

Either way the book does not offer more than you can read in the PostgresSQL docs, but it's way more accessible. I'm not a fan of the PostgresSQL documentation, in fact I find it extremely confusing and hard to read. But through the PostgresSQL: Up and Running book I undestood a lot of new concepts about Postgres between versions 9.1 - 9.4.

The psql chapter is
Kaido
Oct 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: it-developement
At the beginning, when I saw that this book was just 164 pages, I thought that "Ok, you can't say anything special with so few pages" but in the end I was facinated how well this technical book was writen. The authors really wanted to give you something new in every chapter. Like in Data Types chapter, they didn't go this old number-varchar-date way, they provided some useful and tricky types and exaples where and how to use them.

I also liked that exaples were designed for both windows and linux
Leandro López
Jun 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There's a waste of space with a whole chapter to an external tool, pgAdmin. I understand it might make things easier, but it seems like the authors made a profit every time they mention it.

The chapter on replication is a bit disappointing.
Suvash Thapaliya
Jan 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2016, databases
amazed how well packed this book is, though I skipped admin related chapters and mostly skimmed through the rest. will come back to this as a reference for postgres specific information.

Also, postgres is a beast.
Seto Elkahfi
May 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A brief-yet-complete introduction to the most advance database system.
Ney Guerrero
Dec 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is super clear, to the point and offers an intro to all Postgres niceties, is great for beginners in Postgres but not for beginners in Databases.
Katjp
Mar 15, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Useful book for anyone who has used postgres before and wants to improve their efficiency.
Matthew Lanham
Oct 11, 2015
David
Dec 31, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: computing, sql
Nice intro to key features of PostgreSQL.
Brock Corbett