Start by marking “Go-Boy!: Memories of a Life Behind Bars” as Want to Read:
Go-Boy!: Memories of a Life Behind Bars

Go-Boy!: Memories of a Life Behind Bars

Published January 1st 2003 by Hushion House Publishing (first published 1978)

Start your review of Go-Boy!: Memories of a Life Behind Bars
Petra Morin
Apr 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
I read this during my Prison Memoir stage in the 90's and when I heard that Roger Caron had passed away I got hold of a copy to read this one again. (at a used bookstore, I believe it is O/P) It's fascinating, scary and sad. I can only read so much at one sitting because it is so disturbing at times. Still an awesome book. ...more
Kate
Mar 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Growing up there is this depiction of what a "bad person" is and this monster as we know them will get what they deserve from the "good guys". You are lead to believe that these "bad people" must go to jail and that it will cure them of their ills before they come out into society again. There is strange notion that here's the problem, and here's the fix. It's all black and white, and it's all good. As I have gotten older I have a better understanding that life is full of grays. And when I came ...more
Dionne Sonya
Aug 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Caron illustrates how a person can become a career criminal and manages to rationalize his actions in a way that makes the reader understand his point of view. He talks about his childhood and how his criminal activity began, but he also explains how he didn't know how to stop. There was quite a bit of action and adventure in this story that kept me engaged.
I took this book out from the library not knowing that it takes place near my house. This made it even more engaging! It caused me to quest
Chris Tschirhart
Mar 03, 2019 rated it liked it
An interesting read and a peak into the penal system in Canada. Also a look into a tortured soul who struggles to get out of the life he finds himself in.
Steen
Jul 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
I'm actually kind of surprised just how much I enjoyed this book. I feel like a jerk saying that considering this was about a mans life in prison. I think the reason why is that many of the places he talked about I am somewhat familiar with considering I am also from Ontario and I actually went to college in Kingston so I passed by the Kingston Pen many many times.

Roger Caron spent most of his life behind bars mainly because he liked robbing banks. It also seemed like he spent most of his time
Rivkah
Jun 19, 2011 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Amazing and tough book to read. But it gives insite to prison life extensively. And sadly, these things may still be happening in prison.

The one thing in this book I am finding strange, is that he dosn't seem too sory.
Another thing is that almost half his life (Since he was thirty ad least) was behind bars.
Although this is a great book, it is violent (Obviously) and has lots of swearing/mature matter, so I would **Not reccogmend for younger audiences
Ian Mctavish
Sep 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I taught an essential English class and this was one book that my students read from cover to cover. Roger Caron lead a rough life, but his writing transformed his own life as well as the people who read it.
Veronica Thomas-lee
Sep 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
i was one of the most informative and enlightening book that was so inciteful of what actually went on behind the prision walls in Canada.
Brody
Feb 08, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Go Boy 1 4 Sep 27, 2011 11:54PM

• Sara Payne: A Mother's Story
  • The Strange Case of Thomas Quick: The Swedish Serial Killer and the Psychoanalyst Who Created Him
  • Olive, Mabel and Me: Life and Adventures with Two Very Good Dogs
  • The Secret Barrister: Stories of the Law and How It's Broken
  • Accomplices to the crime: the Arkansas prison scandal
  • The Mystery of Mercy Close (Walsh Family, #5)
  • Thinner
  • Sphere
  • Psychopath (Frank Clevenger, #4)
  • Helter Skelter: The True Story of the Manson Murders
  • Hell's Angels At War
  • Confessions Of A Cannibal: The Shocking True Story of Depraved Child-Killer Albert Fish
  • Born on a Rotten Day: Illuminating and Coping with the Dark Side of the Zodiac
  • The Architect (Frank Clevenger, #6)
  • The Only Astrology Book You'll Ever Need
  • The Enforcer: Johnny "Pops" Papalia: A Life and Death in the Mafia
  • The Bone Collector (Lincoln Rhyme, #1)
  • One Second After (After, #1)
Excerpts from Wikipedia: Roger Caron:

Roger "Mad Dog" Caron (April 12, 1938 – April 11, 2012) was a Canadian robber and the author of the influential prison memoir Go-Boy! Memories of a Life Behind Bars (1978). At the time of publishing, Caron was 39 years old and had spent 23 years in prison.

Bibliography:
1978 Go-Boy! Memories of a Life Behind Bars, Hushion House, 292 pages, ISBN 0-9682522-3-0