Start by marking “Elevated” as Want to Read:
Elevated

Read Book* *Different edition

Elevated

The last person seventeen-year-old Eleanor Livingston wants to see on the elevator—let alone get stuck with—is her ex-boyfriend Travis, the guy she's been avoiding for five months.

Plagued with the belief that when she speaks the truth, bad things happen, Elly hasn’t told Trav anything. Not why she broke up with him and cut off all contact. Not what happened the day her fat
Published February 14th 2014 (first published September 14th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Elevated, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Elevated

Crank by Ellen HopkinsImpulse by Ellen HopkinsIdentical by Ellen HopkinsGlass by Ellen HopkinsBurned by Ellen Hopkins
Novels in Verse
284 books — 681 voters
To All the Boys I've Loved Before by Jenny HanIsla and the Happily Ever After by Stephanie PerkinsWe Were Liars by E. LockhartSince You've Been Gone by Morgan MatsonWhat I Thought Was True by Huntley Fitzpatrick
2014 Contemporary YA
257 books — 1,974 voters

More lists with this book...

Hazel (Stay Bookish)
Dec 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry-and-verse
Originally posted at Stay Bookish

Having never read Elana Johnson before, I was excited to check out her upcoming YA Contemporary, which was why I jumped at the chance to get to read it. The synopsis was very appealing to me because I found the scenario of being stuck with an ex-boyfriend in an elevator to be funny and cute. Apparently, Elevated was a far cry from cute which surprised me in the best way possible!

“I ride this elevator everyday for hours, hoping you’ll get on.”

Elevated is
Michelle Wrona
4.5 star rating

Yay, Elana Johnson has done it again! After reading her Possession series, I was totally looking for more from this fantastic author, and then when I found that she was releasing a contemporary-romance novel about exes who get stuck in their apartment elevator, I bought the book right away and couldn't wait to start.

This book was absolutely amazing. I enjoyed it so much and it's definitely a book that I'd come back to and would want to read again one day. The perspectives
Tiffany
Jan 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya-romance
Amazing!

Me: A book completely in verse? that couldn't possibly be for me.
Book: Oh come on, just give me a try...my cover is pretty right?
Me: Yes... it is. But you're still in verse.
Book: True, but it's a love story and you love love stories!
Me: Well... maybe.
Book: The main characters get stuck in an elevator and I'm more than just a pretty cover. Promise!
Me: You had me at elevator.

Oh wow... this is one talented author. After a chapter I didn't even notice that it was in verse anymore. Really! I
Rossy
Feb 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya
Elly and ex-boyfriend Travis get stuck in an elevator and have to deal with secrets that lead the two of them not speaking for the last five months.
Heart-wrenching story, written in verse, which makes it even more amazing and sentimental.
It doesn't have a particularly HEA, that's why I didn't give it 5 stars (I'm such a romantic sometimes, ugh!), but it was definitely GREAT.
Fiza
Feb 25, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: young-adult
….Just not my cup of tea. The book was written in poetry style, but was very easy to read. And while I do enjoy a poem every now and again, I do not like to read an entire book in that style.

description
Zoe and the Edge

DISCLAIMER
I'm not very proud of this review. It probably needs some editing and probably doesn't make a lot of sense. But I think it gives you a good idea that this book is really all over the place. At the same time, I think I should mention that it most definitely works as a whole coherent novel. Just please don't trust everything I say. K.Thnx.Bye.

REVIEW
The only reason this wasn't a DNF was because it's very fluid and easy to read writing. I suppose really the only thing wrong with this book
Suey
Jul 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Whoa! Such emotion!
Kim at Divergent Gryffindor
When I first looked at the cover of Elevated and its synopsis, I immediately wanted to read the book! So when it became free on Amazon, I was extremely excited! Sadly, I was disappointed.

Elly Livingston has been avoiding her ex-boyfriend Travis, who lives in the same building as her. Because of this, she avoids riding the elevator and takes the stairs instead, for the fear of running into him. But when she can't get upstairs without using the elevator, and she gets stuck there with Travis becaus
Christine Fonseca
Dec 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014-reads
There is so much to love about this book! First, the writing - it is no secret that I like Elana's books. And this one is no exception. But Elana takes her normal fantastic writing to a whole new level with this novel in verse. This is a format I personally love, and Elana does a great job with it. I sincerely hope there will be more novels in verse from her in the future!

The characters in Elevated are great: relatable and so perfect for the story. Which brings me to the story itself, this is a
Kathy
Nov 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2014
I'm not a fan of poetry so I was a little concerned about reading an entire novel in "verse". Shouldn't have been. Beautiful story that was 5 stars right up until the book ended to abruptly without enough resolution. (Needed an epilogue).

Content: clean but sex is implied
BookHookup
Feb 18, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc
The original review for this title can be found here on The Book Hookup.

Christina's Review:

**SPECIAL NOTE:** An eARC of this title was provided by the author in exchange for an honest review. However, that did not influence this review in any way. All thoughts, quotes, and opinions will be of this version and not of the published edition.

Initial Thoughts and Rating: Actual rating of 3.5 stars! The stylized structure in which the author chose to tell this story took some time to get used to
Alex Bennett
Please check out Electrifying Reviews for more reviews like this, plus giveaways, interviews, and more!

Elana Johnson is one of the coolest people in the world. It has been a pleasure to get to know her as an author and person over the years. When I got the opportunity to read her latest book, Elevated, I knew I couldn't turn it down. First of all, it's a verse novel. While it is her first venture into this style of writing, Johnson makes it seem as though all her books were written similarly. An
alia
Mar 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Okay, when i'm at first page, i was suprised that the book was written in verses.. I mean like seriously.... can i stand reading this for 244 pages.. But, i give it a try bcoz hey! who can resists a book that has
1) cute cover
2) plus, it's about boy n girl stuck in an elevator( ex or not) it sound promisng
3) the plot is different, it's not the usual good girl fall to bad boy
4) i juz had a good feeling about this book.

and so i read it ignoring my

The book has a good plot. a solid one. There isn't
Unabridged Bookshelf
Jan 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Elevated is a beautifully tragic and emotional read with a refreshing original writing style. The story jumps between the present of the elevator and the past events leading up to the elevator. Slowly the door opens to the whole story of why Elly is pushing everyone away. Elly has been suffering under guilt and grief for months, and she cannot be with the one person who makes her feel like she can face anything.

Elly is a very broken young woman whose guild and grief have been working together t
Carolee Dean
Feb 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This story will lift you up, tear you down, and explore every emotion in between. There's an abundance of love and heartache packed into this sparse and beautiful novel in verse. I was worried that a story taking place entirely in an elevator would be self-limiting, but Elana Johnson does a beautiful job of seamlessly weaving in the flashbacks that build this story to a heart wrenching climax.

At the beginning of the story, Eleanor "Elly" Livingston, is an emotional wreck, blaming herself for th
Laura Pauling
Nov 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I always look forward to verse novels because they usually dig deep into the motion and this one was terrific. Elly and Trav have a long and complicated history. When they get stuck in an elevator together after not seeing each other for a while, eventually, all the secrets come pouring out of Elly. But between the big reveals we get insight into her past, flashbacks that show when and how everything started to go wrong. I felt her pain and walked in her shoes. Did she make mistakes? Sure. But t ...more
Marlene Moss
Feb 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I have never read an in-verse novel before, I don't read poetry, I don't even read the little snippets of lyrics or poetry at the beginning of chapters. I thought reading an in-verse story would be incredibly tedious for my unexpanded little mind! Oh, so the opposite - at least in the case of Elevated.

Think of it this way: take a full novel and strip away everything that doesn't matter, everything that takes away the reader's ability to visualize, to put themselves in the story. Leave nothing bu
Ali Cross
Feb 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I'd never read a novel-in-verse before this one, and while I love poetry, I wasn't sure if I could enjoy an entire story told in this manner. I am thrilled to say, that I totally, completely, did.

Everything that I love about poetry blends with everything I love about angsty, contemporary romance--providing a delicious, emotional and DEEP story.

Probably my favorite parts were the glimpses into Trav's life and the TRUTH I read there. But I also loved little quirky things, like Elly's inability to
Keanna (KeyReadThat)
This was so heart wrenching made me just want to give Elly a hug, because of what she went through. When I found out that this was written in verse, I was surprised and I love when authors surprise me. This was quite different from her Possession trilogy, it was a bit darker, and heart wrenching, maybe, because I was fueling back up from the Abandon hangover.

Like Elana Johnson's books, they have a air of mystery about her characters. There were a couple of 'secrets' that El was keeping from Tra
Taffy
Jan 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014
Have a few hours you can snuggle under a blanket with a mug of hot cocoa? Then you'll want to add the book ELEVATED to this cozy scenario.
Elevated is a book in verse (kinda poetry-ish) about a chance encounter between a girl, Elly and her ex-boyfriend, Trav. The story explores their past and their feelings and why they still love each other. While there is angst in the story, it's just the right amount to pull me in and keep me reading.
Elana is able to add so much depth with little words! I was
A.B.
Jan 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya
There’s something about the off kilter narrative, the way we bounce back and forth through the present (in the elevator) and all the things that led us to this point that makes this book so good. It’s the sort of amazing that creeps up on you in the dark and stabs you right in the feels.

I wasn’t sure what to expect, with the narrative set up – the novel told in poetry – but it works really well, and it lends a very specific atmosphere. I never questioned the main character’s motivations or her f
Medeia Sharif
Dec 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Elly has several deep issues she’s been dwelling on. She has an ex-boyfriend she doesn’t want to talk to. She feels responsible for a horrific accident her best friend went through…there’s more, but I don’t want to become spoilerish. She has to face things head on when she’s stuck in an elevator with Travis, her ex. Talk about tension!

I adore novels-in-verse, so I was ecstatic when I received an ARC of Johnson’s ELEVATED. It’s a great addition to this genre and style. The author is skilled in ve
Graham Bradley
Apr 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
I was expecting a generally whimsical teen romance with a little bit of angst, and good character development; I was surprised to see that the whole book was written in verse, with no chapter breaks or anything. It jarred a little at first, but it flows very easily after a page or two.

Kudos to Elana for the unexpected and serious turns this story took. It deals with serious teen issues without being crass or gratuitous, which I find enjoyable.

So yeah, good book :)
Veray
Jan 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book I ever read that is written in verse. I wondered how I would like it and I LOVED IT! Elana knows how to grab your heartstrings and pull. Elly and Travis have such a sad story and yet I was rooting for them to make it through and be together. Elana likes to leave her endings open which usually I don't like because I like everything all wrapped up in a neat package, but this ending leaves you with hope that things will be okay with both of them, so I was okay with it.
Precy Larkins
Oct 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars!

My first novel-in-verse, and I enjoyed it immensely. The flow and pacing are wonderfully smooth, and though the storyline weaves back and forth between the past and the present, I didn't have a hard time following it. This is actually more angsty than the cover portrays (when I got it, I thought it would be kinda light and maybe funny? But it's not. Still, it was an excellent read, and besides, who doesn't like poetry?)
Dawn
Apr 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I am not one for books written in verse but after reading the Amazon reviews, I decided to give it a shot and purchased the book. I am so glad I did. The verses didn't rhyme which made it easier for me to get into. The book was well written and describes the trauma and stress of the main character really well, and is a strong read all the way around. I would recommend this to anyone.
Fida Islaih
Feb 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: novel-in-verse
I love novel-in-verse. And I love this book.

The book
the characters
the poetry
it all made me hurt
made me think
relate to them.

I know of isolated young ladies.
and I like sensitive young men.

I love the little things that happened. Like rooftop talks. Video games and cooking. The little childhood games she does to figure things out. How she changes that. I want more of their world.
Cortney Pearson
Jun 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This was such a delicious read. Elly has so many conflicting emotions--it's really touching to see her come to terms with them all. And I LOVE novels in verse because of their ability to portray emotion so well with so few words. Elevated didn't disappoint! So well done!
Aditi
Okay. I was truly enjoying it in the beginning but the teenage angst decided to stretch itself too far.I mean, unnecessarily far to a pointless verge. I applaud the book for this verse-style but to me, it was weak. I am leaving it incomplete. I cannot go any further sorry.
Jenny
Feb 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Way, way darker and more serious than I thought it was going to be but this story packs a powerful message. Really ended up loving it.
Goodreads Feedback: This topic has been closed to new comments. Five-Star Ratings Negatively Impact Average Rating 3 98 Dec 28, 2015 09:00AM

• Fragile Line
  • The Evolution of Emily
  • Solving for Ex
  • The Way He Lived
  • Bright Blue Miracle
  • Mythology: The Wicked (Mythology #2)
  • The Loser's Guide to Life and Love
  • Understudy
  • Essence
  • City of Angels (Rhea Jensen, #1)
  • Lock 'N' Load (Federal K-9 #1)
  • The Lost Marble Notebook of Forgotten Girl  Random Boy
  • A Laird For Christmas (The Highland Bachelors, #1)
  • Flight (Flight #1)
  • Soul Cutter
  • Risen (Blood Eternal, #1)
  • The Romeo Club
  • Castration Celebration
I am the author of the POSSESSION series, which includes novels POSSESSION, SURRENDER, and ABANDON, as well as short stories REGRET (ebook only) and RESIST (free here on Goodreads).

ELEVATED and SOMETHING ABOUT LOVE, YA contemporary romances in verse are both out now.

My next futuristic fantasy series includes ELEMENTAL RUSH (novella), ELEMENTAL HUNGER (novel), and ELEMENTAL RELEASE (novella). All
“I couldn’t compete with Honesty,

With her dark blonde hair streaked with auburn,
With her captivating blue eyes,
With her legs that stretched into forever.
She had the brains,
The body,
The perfect resume for girlfriend.

And me?
I had the perfect resume for
Best friend.
All the boys said so.”
2 likes
“I thought three minutes and twelve seconds would undo me.
Now I’m trapped.

I cannot survive in this elevator.
Not with him,