Start by marking “Elevated” as Want to Read:
Elevated

Read Book* *Different edition

Elevated

3.47  ·  Rating Details  ·  362 Ratings  ·  112 Reviews
The last person seventeen-year-old Eleanor Livingston wants to see on the elevator—let alone get stuck with—is her ex-boyfriend Travis, the guy she's been avoiding for five months.

Plagued with the belief that when she speaks the truth, bad things happen, Elly hasn’t told Trav anything. Not why she broke up with him and cut off all contact. Not what happened the day her fat
Published February 14th 2014 (first published September 14th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Elevated, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Elevated

Crank by Ellen HopkinsImpulse by Ellen HopkinsIdentical by Ellen HopkinsBurned by Ellen HopkinsGlass by Ellen Hopkins
Novels in Verse
62nd out of 260 books — 603 voters
Crank by Ellen HopkinsI Heart You, You Haunt Me by Lisa SchroederIdentical by Ellen HopkinsImpulse by Ellen HopkinsBurned by Ellen Hopkins
YA Novels in Verse
42nd out of 129 books — 220 voters

More lists with this book...

Hazel (Stay Bookish)
Feb 21, 2014 Hazel (Stay Bookish) rated it really liked it
Originally posted at Stay Bookish

Having never read Elana Johnson before, I was excited to check out her upcoming YA Contemporary, which was why I jumped at the chance to get to read it. The synopsis was very appealing to me because I found the scenario of being stuck with an ex-boyfriend in an elevator to be funny and cute. Apparently, Elevated was a far cry from cute which surprised me in the best way possible!

“I ride this elevator everyday for hours, hoping you’ll get on.”

Elevated is
Michelle Arrow
4.5 star rating

Yay, Elana Johnson has done it again! After reading her Possession series, I was totally looking for more from this fantastic author, and then when I found that she was releasing a contemporary-romance novel about exes who get stuck in their apartment elevator, I bought the book right away and couldn't wait to start.

This book was absolutely amazing. I enjoyed it so much and it's definitely a book that I'd come back to and would want to read again one day. The perspectives
Rossy
Feb 03, 2015 Rossy rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya
Elly and ex-boyfriend Travis get stuck in an elevator and have to deal with secrets that lead the two of them not speaking for the last five months.
Heart-wrenching story, written in verse, which makes it even more amazing and sentimental.
It doesn't have a particularly HEA, that's why I didn't give it 5 stars (I'm such a romantic sometimes, ugh!), but it was definitely GREAT.
Tiffany
Feb 28, 2014 Tiffany rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya-romance
Amazing!

Me: A book completely in verse? that couldn't possibly be for me.
Book: Oh come on, just give me a try...my cover is pretty right?
Me: Yes... it is. But you're still in verse.
Book: True, but it's a love story and you love love stories!
Me: Well... maybe.
Book: The main characters get stuck in an elevator and I'm more than just a pretty cover. Promise!
Me: You had me at elevator.

Oh wow... this is one talented author. After a chapter I didn't even notice that it was in verse anymore. Really! I
Zoe and the Edge

DISCLAIMER
I'm not very proud of this review. It probably needs some editing and probably doesn't make a lot of sense. But I think it gives you a good idea that this book is really all over the place. At the same time, I think I should mention that it most definitely works as a whole coherent novel. Just please don't trust everything I say. K.Thnx.Bye.

REVIEW
The only reason this wasn't a DNF was because it's very fluid and easy to read writing. I suppose really the only thing wrong with this book
Suey
Jul 27, 2015 Suey rated it really liked it
Whoa! Such emotion!
Kim at Divergent Gryffindor
When I first looked at the cover of Elevated and its synopsis, I immediately wanted to read the book! So when it became free on Amazon, I was extremely excited! Sadly, I was disappointed.

Elly Livingston has been avoiding her ex-boyfriend Travis, who lives in the same building as her. Because of this, she avoids riding the elevator and takes the stairs instead, for the fear of running into him. But when she can't get upstairs without using the elevator, and she gets stuck there with Travis becaus
Inspired Kathy
Nov 28, 2014 Inspired Kathy rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2014
I'm not a fan of poetry so I was a little concerned about reading an entire novel in "verse". Shouldn't have been. Beautiful story that was 5 stars right up until the book ended to abruptly without enough resolution. (Needed an epilogue).

Content: clean but sex is implied
Christine Fonseca
Feb 20, 2014 Christine Fonseca rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014-reads
There is so much to love about this book! First, the writing - it is no secret that I like Elana's books. And this one is no exception. But Elana takes her normal fantastic writing to a whole new level with this novel in verse. This is a format I personally love, and Elana does a great job with it. I sincerely hope there will be more novels in verse from her in the future!

The characters in Elevated are great: relatable and so perfect for the story. Which brings me to the story itself, this is a
Fiza
Feb 26, 2014 Fiza rated it it was ok
Shelves: young-adult
….Just not my cup of tea. The book was written in poetry style, but was very easy to read. And while I do enjoy a poem every now and again, I do not like to read an entire book in that style.

description
Unabridged Bookshelf
Feb 27, 2014 Unabridged Bookshelf rated it really liked it
Elevated is a beautifully tragic and emotional read with a refreshing original writing style. The story jumps between the present of the elevator and the past events leading up to the elevator. Slowly the door opens to the whole story of why Elly is pushing everyone away. Elly has been suffering under guilt and grief for months, and she cannot be with the one person who makes her feel like she can face anything.

Elly is a very broken young woman whose guild and grief have been working together t
alia
Mar 13, 2014 alia rated it it was amazing
Okay, when i'm at first page, i was suprised that the book was written in verses.. I mean like seriously.... can i stand reading this for 244 pages.. But, i give it a try bcoz hey! who can resists a book that has
1) cute cover
2) plus, it's about boy n girl stuck in an elevator( ex or not) it sound promisng
3) the plot is different, it's not the usual good girl fall to bad boy
4) i juz had a good feeling about this book.

and so i read it ignoring my

The book has a good plot. a solid one. There isn't
Alex Bennett
Please check out Electrifying Reviews for more reviews like this, plus giveaways, interviews, and more!

Elana Johnson is one of the coolest people in the world. It has been a pleasure to get to know her as an author and person over the years. When I got the opportunity to read her latest book, Elevated, I knew I couldn't turn it down. First of all, it's a verse novel. While it is her first venture into this style of writing, Johnson makes it seem as though all her books were written similarly. An
Carolee Dean
Feb 20, 2014 Carolee Dean rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
This story will lift you up, tear you down, and explore every emotion in between. There's an abundance of love and heartache packed into this sparse and beautiful novel in verse. I was worried that a story taking place entirely in an elevator would be self-limiting, but Elana Johnson does a beautiful job of seamlessly weaving in the flashbacks that build this story to a heart wrenching climax.

At the beginning of the story, Eleanor "Elly" Livingston, is an emotional wreck, blaming herself for th
BookHookup
Feb 18, 2014 BookHookup rated it liked it
Shelves: arc
The original review for this title can be found here on The Book Hookup.

Christina's Review:

**SPECIAL NOTE:** An eARC of this title was provided by the author in exchange for an honest review. However, that did not influence this review in any way. All thoughts, quotes, and opinions will be of this version and not of the published edition.

Initial Thoughts and Rating: Actual rating of 3.5 stars! The stylized structure in which the author chose to tell this story took some time to get used to,
Laura Pauling
Jan 05, 2014 Laura Pauling rated it it was amazing
I always look forward to verse novels because they usually dig deep into the motion and this one was terrific. Elly and Trav have a long and complicated history. When they get stuck in an elevator together after not seeing each other for a while, eventually, all the secrets come pouring out of Elly. But between the big reveals we get insight into her past, flashbacks that show when and how everything started to go wrong. I felt her pain and walked in her shoes. Did she make mistakes? Sure. But t ...more
Marlene Moss
Feb 17, 2014 Marlene Moss rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
I have never read an in-verse novel before, I don't read poetry, I don't even read the little snippets of lyrics or poetry at the beginning of chapters. I thought reading an in-verse story would be incredibly tedious for my unexpanded little mind! Oh, so the opposite - at least in the case of Elevated.

Think of it this way: take a full novel and strip away everything that doesn't matter, everything that takes away the reader's ability to visualize, to put themselves in the story. Leave nothing bu
Ali Cross
Feb 16, 2014 Ali Cross rated it it was amazing
I'd never read a novel-in-verse before this one, and while I love poetry, I wasn't sure if I could enjoy an entire story told in this manner. I am thrilled to say, that I totally, completely, did.

Everything that I love about poetry blends with everything I love about angsty, contemporary romance--providing a delicious, emotional and DEEP story.

Probably my favorite parts were the glimpses into Trav's life and the TRUTH I read there. But I also loved little quirky things, like Elly's inability to
Taffy
Feb 18, 2014 Taffy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014
Have a few hours you can snuggle under a blanket with a mug of hot cocoa? Then you'll want to add the book ELEVATED to this cozy scenario.
Elevated is a book in verse (kinda poetry-ish) about a chance encounter between a girl, Elly and her ex-boyfriend, Trav. The story explores their past and their feelings and why they still love each other. While there is angst in the story, it's just the right amount to pull me in and keep me reading.
Elana is able to add so much depth with little words! I was
Keanna (KeyReadThat)
This was so heart wrenching made me just want to give Elly a hug, because of what she went through. When I found out that this was written in verse, I was surprised and I love when authors surprise me. This was quite different from her Possession trilogy, it was a bit darker, and heart wrenching, maybe, because I was fueling back up from the Abandon hangover.

Like Elana Johnson's books, they have a air of mystery about her characters. There were a couple of 'secrets' that El was keeping from Tra
Precy Larkins
Nov 10, 2014 Precy Larkins rated it really liked it
4.5 stars!

My first novel-in-verse, and I enjoyed it immensely. The flow and pacing are wonderfully smooth, and though the storyline weaves back and forth between the past and the present, I didn't have a hard time following it. This is actually more angsty than the cover portrays (when I got it, I thought it would be kinda light and maybe funny? But it's not. Still, it was an excellent read, and besides, who doesn't like poetry?)
A.B.
Apr 11, 2014 A.B. rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya
There’s something about the off kilter narrative, the way we bounce back and forth through the present (in the elevator) and all the things that led us to this point that makes this book so good. It’s the sort of amazing that creeps up on you in the dark and stabs you right in the feels.

I wasn’t sure what to expect, with the narrative set up – the novel told in poetry – but it works really well, and it lends a very specific atmosphere. I never questioned the main character’s motivations or her f
Medeia Sharif
Elly has several deep issues she’s been dwelling on. She has an ex-boyfriend she doesn’t want to talk to. She feels responsible for a horrific accident her best friend went through…there’s more, but I don’t want to become spoilerish. She has to face things head on when she’s stuck in an elevator with Travis, her ex. Talk about tension!

I adore novels-in-verse, so I was ecstatic when I received an ARC of Johnson’s ELEVATED. It’s a great addition to this genre and style. The author is skilled in ve
Grace
Jun 14, 2015 Grace rated it liked it
Review Posted @ She Reads Things

The concept of a book written in verse is what drew me into this book. I recently discovered that I actually like poetry, both reading and writing, because there's just something so cool about how the words flow together and paint a picture. But I'd never read an entire book that was written in poetry form. So I thought I'd give it a shot with Elevated.

The plot was created in a very unique manner, flashing back and forth fro
FicTalk Blog
Feb 28, 2014 FicTalk Blog rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, reviewed-in-2014
As reviewed on fic-talk.com

When I agreed to review a copy of Elevated in exchange for a fair review, I didn't know what I was getting myself into. At least that's what I thought after reading reviews on Goodreads which spoke about how Elevated is formatted. I'm so not into poetry, quite frankly, and the close association freaked me the hell out. I don't think it's literally poetry, as I had feared, and I'm not sure of the technical term for it either. It's formatted into short paragraphs, and we
Nichole Giles
Feb 17, 2014 Nichole Giles rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance, ya, contemporary
ELEVATED is the kind of heart-wrenching story that you open and begin to read, and before you know it, you arrive at the last page and it's three hours later and you missed going to the gym and picking up your kids from school and taking them to sports practice or dance class or whatever and it's past dinner time and you didn't even know it because you were lost in this beautiful story. Really.

I absolutely loved Elly, and finding out why she clearly loves Trav, but doesn't want to talk to him.
Christina (Christina's Book Corner)
Veray Carter
May 06, 2014 Veray Carter rated it it was amazing
This is the first book I ever read that is written in verse. I wondered how I would like it and I LOVED IT! Elana knows how to grab your heartstrings and pull. Elly and Travis have such a sad story and yet I was rooting for them to make it through and be together. Elana likes to leave her endings open which usually I don't like because I like everything all wrapped up in a neat package, but this ending leaves you with hope that things will be okay with both of them, so I was okay with it.
LailaBC
I took this up because I got curious about it from reading a stellar review from one of the bloggers that I followed. From the look of the cover you would think that it is something light and a bit funny story but when I read the blurb it seems to convey a more serious theme underneath it. The moment I read the first page I was a bit confuse because I thought it opened with a poem. But by the time i moved on to the next chapter I realize that this novel was in verse format. It was certainly refr ...more
Graham Bradley
May 15, 2014 Graham Bradley rated it really liked it
I was expecting a generally whimsical teen romance with a little bit of angst, and good character development; I was surprised to see that the whole book was written in verse, with no chapter breaks or anything. It jarred a little at first, but it flows very easily after a page or two.

Kudos to Elana for the unexpected and serious turns this story took. It deals with serious teen issues without being crass or gratuitous, which I find enjoyable.

So yeah, good book :)
Goodreads Feedback: This topic has been closed to new comments. Five-Star Ratings Negatively Impact Average Rating 3 97 Dec 28, 2015 09:00AM
  • Fragile Line
  • Solving for Ex
  • Counting to D
  • My Life From Hell (The Blooming Goddess Trilogy #3)
  • Camp Forget-Me-Not (Camp Boyfriend, #3)
  • Road Rash
  • Ushers, Inc.
  • The Way He Lived
  • Nantucket Red (Nantucket, #2)
  • Life, Love, & Lemons
  • Understudy
  • Idle Playgrounds (Rhea Jensen, #3)
  • Not in the Script (If Only . . . , #3)
  • The Boyfriend List (Boyfriend #1)
  • Somebody
  • Mythology: The Wicked (Mythology #2)
  • The Loser's Guide to Life and Love
  • Second Star
I am the author of the POSSESSION series, which includes novels POSSESSION, SURRENDER, and ABANDON, as well as short stories REGRET (ebook only) and RESIST (free here on Goodreads).

ELEVATED and SOMETHING ABOUT LOVE, YA contemporary romances in verse are both out now.

My next futuristic fantasy series includes ELEMENTAL RUSH (novella), ELEMENTAL HUNGER (novel), and ELEMENTAL RELEASE (novella). All
More about Elana Johnson...

“I couldn’t compete with Honesty,

With her dark blonde hair streaked with auburn,
With her captivating blue eyes,
With her legs that stretched into forever.
She had the brains,
The body,
The perfect resume for girlfriend.

And me?
I had the perfect resume for
Best friend.
All the boys said so.”
2 likes
“I thought three minutes and twelve seconds would undo me.
Now I’m trapped.

I cannot survive in this elevator.
Not with him,