Start by marking “Implementing Domain-Driven Design” as Want to Read:
Implementing Domain-Driven Design

Implementing Domain-Driven Design

Implementing Domain-Driven Design presents a top-down approach to understanding domain-driven design (DDD) in a way that fluently connects strategic patterns to fundamental tactical programming tools. Vaughn Vernon couples guided approaches to implementation with modern architectures, highlighting the importance and value of focusing on the business domain while balancing ...more
Published February 6th 2013 by Addison-Wesley (first published 2013)

Start your review of Implementing Domain-Driven Design
Alessandro
Apr 14, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: it
The amount of frustration I felt reading this book is directly proportional to the value I see in domain-driven design.

As others have noted you'll have to read a lot for little information. I totally agree and here are a couple of examples I have at hand:
[p. 402 - Repositories - Introduction]
"there are circumstances under which a collection-oriented design will work for you, and circumstances when it is best to use a presistence-oriented design. I first discuss when to use and how to create a co
Piotr
Oct 10, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: it
It was a really painful book to read. I had some rough idea what DDD is about beforehand and most of the time I was bored. There were some new inspiring insights, some useful structured explanation how things should be done, but most of the contents were rather dull. I hope there is a better introductory book for DDD, as I cannot recommend this one.

Whenever there was a text explaining an example code, I usually read about 10% of it, because 90% of it talked about things that were obvious by look
Sebastian Gebski
Feb 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's good, but it was supposed to be better.
First, it doesn't repeat the basics from the Blue Book - that's a pro.
Second, it extends the DDD content by some ideas that appeared in DDD lingo after Blue Book appeared (like Domain Events) - that's a pro as well.
Third, it contains a very, VERY good appendix about event sourcing - that's a big pro.

But the majority of content is ... a bit unconvincing, you can't feel much of the value added. Examples are said to mimick RL, but they don't seem really c
Rob
Apr 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Seriously serious software engineers and their architects.
Shelves: technical, 2016, 2017
Short version: excellent book on the DDD philosophy, and both the strategic and tactical patterns that you can use to apply that philosophy to your software projects. Be forewarned though, this all comes with a cost, and requires significant discipline. For best results, read as part of a group or book club.

A few additional details:

1. If you're in a hurry, read Domain-Driven Design DistilledDomain-Driven Design Distilled. Given that IDDD is over 600 pages, it is... comprehensive. If you just nee
Tomasz Bartczak
Dec 13, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: software
It's quite slow and steady, and some Java examples are really not presenting what they should, e.g. Publish-Subscribe implementation with crazy ThreadLocal in there... https://books.google.pl/books?id=X7Dp...

Miloš
DDD Masterworks: the Red Book - check!

Let me first start with a list of the book's failings.

First off, I can't see anyone taking in everything that this book has to offer without first going through the Blue Book (colloquial name for Eric Evans's seminal DDD book) and let's be honest - that one can be a tough nut to crack and people can get stuck reading it (guilty as charged, had to return to it and start from the beginning half a year later).

Secondly, I wish the author took his own advice on d
Ieva Gr
Jun 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: technical
Follows “real life” team navigating from bad to good design decisions
Provides considerations of benefits and drawbacks for most decisions taken (which I think is awesome for exercising your own critical thinking – trying to see with how many of these you could come up yourself)
Provides implementation examples with code snippets and explanations
Additional information about things like Architecture styles, RESTful’ness and etc.
Ranil Wijeyratne
It's a terrible read, don't get me wrong: what's being said is great it's just soooooo long and not fun to read. I'd recommend his "distilled" book and then dive into the specific subjects when needed with other resources (incl. this book) ...more
Guilherme Labrego
Dec 06, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: creditas
This book was so terrible and painful to read that I almost forgot to write a review and tell why I disliked this. I think that Alessandro’s review reflects exactly what I felt reading this “big ball of mud”.

Benjamin
I don't remember ever struggling more to get through a book than when reading this one. I kept feeling like the requirements to properly understand the book included "having read this book already" – kind of difficult.

Much of this came down to the author's decision to start with the strategic patterns before covering the tactical ones. He gives a reason for doing so, which I can't remember, but I do remember that he references the tactical patterns an awful lot before actually covering them. I d
Kaspars Laizans
Got it, because was recommended by a colleague, who did read Evan`s Blue Book (BB) and this. He said, that this is easier to read and better suited for getting into DDD. Haven't read BB yet, but IDDD seems a bit chaotic, as if it's meant to be a reference book. First chapters often refer to last chapters, which require some understanding of previous chapters. I would call it a dependency hell.
It does have some good points and examples, but generally wouldn't recommend as a book for a beginner.
Dina Bogdan
I've read the book from a junior perspective that faced before some DDD principles and implementations. Also, I've read before the book several articles and viewed some talks about Domain Driven Design. The book helped me to understand what I've already faced before, to create a mindset of how I should develop a project from a DDD perspective, or how to improve your team velocity using DDD strategies and tactics.
The book is structured really well, has a lot of code examples that are pretty simpl
Lai Duy Ha
When you doubt about what you believed before about N-Layer. When you are struggling for determine the logic with big service layer, and dump (anemic) models with ORM & DTO then this book is for you.

As DDD - Tackling Complexity could be consider as theory textbook. Implementing DDD filling the gap between theory and practical.

It points out the pitfalls of our current architecture design (N-layers), and show how could we re-thinking about design approach with practical examples. You will find you
Oleksandr
Hard language, not very good examples. I started reading Evans book, I didn't understood why I even started reading this book. ...more
Nicolás Laurito
Tedious. Repetitive, ambiguous explanations. Too implementative. Unnecessarily long.
Shahriyar Nasir
Jun 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An essential read for all software developers, Implementing Domain Driven Design provides practical guidance on how to understand and model the problem spaces encountered by software. Vaughn Vernon goes into depth in each chapter starting out with the Strategic DDD patterns and finishing up with the Tactical patterns. I especially liked the story that he laced throughout of a team that encountered domain modeling challenges. This team used DDD to overcome each challenge. IDDD is a dense book and ...more
Michał Olejnik
Aug 03, 2020 rated it liked it
Ok, so I have definitely mixed feelings about this book. I'm a big fan of the DDD itself and the original book by Eric Evans. I've heard a lot of good things about this book as well and my expectations were high. And I'm afraid they weren't quite met unfortunately. The part dedicated to strategic DDD is good. The concepts are explained thoroughly and understandably, the examples are easy on point and the whole part reads well enough and stood the test of time. But the part dedicated to tactical ...more
Peter Rybarczyk
Sep 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ok, I made a big mistake by taking this book before the blue one. But still, there is a lot of knowledge worth of reading. But now for someone (like me) who just want to start a more professional journey with DDD. After some discussions with colleagues, I skipped the last few chapters of this book and i am going to start with Destiled and Evans book. Later, read Folwer Enterprise Patterns one more time.

And then, for sure I'm going to read this book one more but another way than I just did, read
Vinicius Souza
Dec 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
DDD is, in some contexts, a very conceptual topic. After reading the origin Evans's book you will probably end up with a lot of questions about how to implement some of the ideas of the book. This book answers most of these questions. It is a complement to the original book, with a more practical view and a lot of code samples. Speaking for architects and developers, I believe this book delivers more value than the Evans's, once it is much more close to our daily challenges.

In addition to DDD, t
Benoit Blanchon
Feb 25, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love this book. The content is very valuable. I just wished it was written differently: something easier to read and lighter... maybe Domain-Driven Design Distilled is what I want?
Anyway, it is a great complement to Domain-Driven Design: Tackling Complexity in the Heart of Software, and reading both is definitely worth it.
Regis Hattori
The best part of the book is its introduction. After reading Evan's DDD and do not understand so much, Vernon makes good work summarizing the most important parts in a few words.

Unfortunately, the same cohesion and didactic is not repeated in the rest of the book. It varies a lot in quality. Some parts are really good, some are not. At least its chapters are better organized when comparing to Evan's book.

It is not a kind of reading in which you read by pleasure. But because of the importance of
Toby
Jan 16, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Verbose and the “cowboy logic” parts didn’t make any sense but that aside, a comprehensive walkthrough of good software design techniques and principles in the DDD world, though some are universal. Some content feels dated, particularly specific references to Hibernate for example, and the major focus on OOO. Quality of chapters varies. I found the book to be a good companion to the blue book because it explains concepts more concretely. Like anything, these ideas have to be used purposefully in ...more
Victor
Mar 20, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-tech
This book takes a more practical approach than the Blue Book. It doesn't try to redefine all the DDD concepts. The author shows how to apply DDD on a project and how the DDD patterns can influence your design (strategic and tactical), with pros and cons. I liked the fact that all examples were part of a single domain, even though they were not very challenging.

Chapters that I enjoyed most:
- Domain, Subdomains and Bounded Contexts
- Domain Events
- Aggregates
- Aggregates and Event Sourcing
Ben
Apr 14, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
DDD introduced a new way of looking at enterprise software engineering. Whilst the "Strategic modeling" part is vague and difficult to apply, the "tactical modeling" is very applicable and I found useful. All in all, I wish this book would be 200 pages shorter. To many chapters are not engaging enough. I highly recommend book when working on a DDD codebase - the book provides good theory, but without practice it won't stick. ...more
Selim
May 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It greatly explains most of things that you may not get in the first time while reading Blue Book. Chapters are organized well and well explained by real world examples and trade-offs. For me, Blue Book was mostly theory but this book is the practice. Now many of the things are clear for me because after reading Blue Book I had a lot of questions in mind. Really recommended for people who are interested to learn more about DDD.
DANIEL
Jan 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Before you read this book, you have to read "Domain-Driven Design" by Eric Evans.

This is the book where you can find a reference about how to implement in real life the thoretical concepts regarding to DDD. It is a dense book, like the previous one, but it is full of code examples where you can take a real good idea about how to implement this pattern.

It is useful if you want to start a microservice applications based on this design.
Renanreismartins
This book is ridiculously repetitive, it feels like it was not even reviewed by the publisher. The author introduces a lot of well known and old concepts of good practices of OO with a new name, as if it is a completely new thing. The code examples have really strange practices even for the time it was written.

There are some good concepts inside the book, but could be way more concise. I would suggest another title, this is too dense for very little useful information.
Christoph Kappel
Dec 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Well, finally managed to read the big one. I must admit I am surprised, the book was way more readable than I expected. I read the distilled version before and it is was horrible and most of the time just an an advertisement. Cowboy logic? 🤠

I wonder why he implemented all of the stuff by himself, but when you consider the time of writing it is probably fine and the chapter aged pretty well.

This wasn't my first book about DDD, but it really helped me to understand DDD a bit more.
Gishu Pillai
Good book although it started going over my head from Chapter 13 onwards.

NOT a page turner and the running example of a building a project mgmt tool didn't help at all. In fact, it contributed more to the drudgery of finishing this book.

Didn't care much for the cowboy duo and their jokes either.
Dmitry
Apr 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Vernon gives thorough treatment to the DDD topic, covering lots of ambiguity in concepts that I had in mind after finishing Evans’s DDD. Highly recommended. Also, make sure to check out sample code on github.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Accelerate: Building and Scaling High-Performing Technology Organizations
  • Refactoring: Improving the Design of Existing Code
  • Growing Object-Oriented Software, Guided by Tests
  • Designing Data-Intensive Applications
  • Monolith to Microservices: Sustaining Productivity While Detangling the System
  • Team Topologies: Organizing Business and Technology Teams for Fast Flow
  • Microservice Patterns
  • Effective Java

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »

News & Interviews

“Developing software that delivers true business value is not the same thing as developing ordinary business software. Software that delivers true business value aligns with the business strategic initiatives and bears solutions with clearly identifiable competitive advantage—software that is not about technology, but about the business.” 1 likes
“It is more desirable for Entities to have equals() and hashCode() methods that are based on the object’s unique identity rather than other attributes.” 1 likes