Start by marking “The Geography of You and Me” as Want to Read:
The Geography of You and Me

Read Excerpt

The Geography of You and Me

3.68  ·  Rating details ·  29,987 ratings  ·  3,338 reviews
Lucy and Owen meet somewhere between the tenth and eleventh floors of a New York City apartment building, on an elevator rendered useless by a citywide blackout. After they’re rescued, they spend a single night together, wandering the darkened streets and marveling at the rare appearance of stars above Manhattan. But once the power is restored, so is reality. Lucy soon mov ...more
Published April 15th 2014 by Poppy

To ask other readers questions about The Geography of You and Me, please sign up.
Tadashi Hamada Personally I liked TIWHLK more. (I gave it 5 stars while I gave this 4 stars.) But some people complained about TIWHLK being boring and cliche, so I…morePersonally I liked TIWHLK more. (I gave it 5 stars while I gave this 4 stars.) But some people complained about TIWHLK being boring and cliche, so I think some people will find TGOYAM better, depending on how they found the previous book. :)(less)
Amariah Dixon Yes! There's definitely a good bit of traveling. One of the main things the plot revolves around is traveling. Long-distance relationships. This and…moreYes! There's definitely a good bit of traveling. One of the main things the plot revolves around is traveling. Long-distance relationships. This and The Statistical Probability of Love At First Sight (by the same author) are good "travel" books. :) (less)

·  29,987 ratings  ·  3,338 reviews

Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Jul 29, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-in-2014, arcs
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

1 Star with a bonus Star for a good cover/title.

WARNING: I SPOIL THE CRAP OUT OF THIS BOOK

Lucy is super emo because her parents are never around and she’s friendless. (How do you avoid the oft present “we’re dealing with teenagers, where the hell are the parents” question? Well, this book just ships the parents off to Paris, leaving their 16 year old daughter at home in New York City all alone. Problem solved.)

Owen is super emo sinc
Aj the Ravenous Reader

Funny how the story started with a total black out from New York all the way to Canada when our own power went out too. It’s like fate or something and just like fate, some things/people are just meant to be together like the spoon and fork. There are certain instances when they have to part ways because soup only requires a spoon while pasta only needs a fork but that’s perfectly okay because deep down papa spoon and mama fork know they will be together eventually. This is usually the common th
Farah
"A blackout in New York City brings together two teenagers in Jennifer E. Smith's new romantic YA novel."
Let me tell you one thing, in my opinion Jennifer E. Smith is one of the best YA authors ever (+1 for the fact that she is a nerdfighter). Her books are just awesomesauce and they may not float everyone's boat but hell to the YES they make me feel all fluffy inside so long story short: I CAN'T WAIT TO READ THIS BOOK!
Hailey (HaileyinBookland)
SPOILER FREE REVIEW: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-K6on...

3.75*
This book was basically just what I needed: a mindless, cute, fun romance that was just really easy to read. I see my reading slump coming to an end very very soon.
Giselle
Jan 24, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, ebook

Super cute as expected. Jennifer E. Smith has given us another sigh-inducing, feel-good read that leaves you with a smile on your face. I adore these books of hers and each one is like a little escape into a fairy-tale kind of perfect romance story. While The Geography of You and Me may be my least favorite of hers, it's far from a disappointment!

If you're a fan of this author you pretty much know what to expect when you get into one of her books. Her characters are likable, the romance
Daiane
Not this time Smith... Not this time.
Ash Wednesday
2.5 STARS
The point wasn’t the distance. It was the homecoming.

God, I just love that sentiment.

And I truly felt that this had a lot of beautiful moments and heartfelt intentions that just got lost in that thick bog of mediocrity with a droning narrative, a climax-less plot, a pair of charmless protagonists and the non-existent chemistry between them. In yet another exercise in frustration, this wasn’t offensively bad, but the stilted potential just shoves the disappointment obnoxiously THERE. F
Ari
Adorable and quite emotional!

The Geography of You and Me is mostly descriptive - it shows snippets of moments suspended in time, it describes deep emotions, and still the author managed to 'show' not simply to 'tell' and I was soon very much in love with the beauty of this story.

There was so much that I loved about it:
- their first meeting, even the one in San Francisco, with the fiasco ending;
- the insights into their lives, their personal struggles with family or friends;
- the cards, so meani
Arianne (in uni)
Weee! 2014 is going to be a great year!
description
Cherry
Jun 16, 2016 rated it liked it
Goodness. With all the fluffiness and cuteness in the world.

description
It all starts off with a sudden blackout in the city...
Have you ever imagined a city with No electricity, No connections, and Only darkness...
A city only lit by the moon and stars...

The story's realistic and relatable and the story itself is what makes the whole book seems so adorable.

Crossed path of two young people. Blackout. Separation. Travels. Settlement. Meet up of two young people at last.

Song:
See you again
"We've come a long way,
May 03, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: z2015, ya
3.5/5. This book was exactly what I was expecting. It was a light quick read and it was cute. When I pick up these books I don't really expect them to be life-changing or that meaningful so I hardly ever give them 5 stars. I expect these books to just give me a little bit of enjoyment and I did enjoy this book.

The characters were likeable and I liked the story. I felt the execution was okay. I think Jennifer E. Smith could have done a lot better. There was no insta-love which is always a good t
Maida
(This review has been edited to include an addendum, which will hopefully illustrate what I mean by "bad writing").

After reading & falling in love with Laura Kaye's Hearts in Darkness, I jumped at the chance to read another novel about two strangers who are trapped in an elevator in the middle of a citywide blackout. I was hoping that The Geography of You & Me would be a Young Adult (PG-13) version of Hearts in Darkness. Sadly, however, the only similarity between these two novels IS
Susane Colasanti
Jennifer E. Smith represents the absolute best in YA writing, and readers will carry this poignant love story in their hearts far after the last sentence is read.
Natalie Monroe
"His eyes caught hers through the darkness and the elevator felt suddenly smaller than it had been minutes ago."

I am becoming increasingly frustrated with YA contemporaries of late. Ever since the success of Anna and the French Kiss, there have been an influx of the same cookie-cutter romance, with their own brand of a unique 'twist', but reads more like a sad imitation of Meg Cabot in her heyday.

The Geography of You and Me falls into the same trap, except it cut more because I was expecting,
Thyago | MrsMargotBlog
O livro podia ter sido muito mais, merecia ser muito mais.
A história é do género young-adult e tem um início muito bom, fazendo-nos de caras ter empatia pelos personagens principais, gostamos tanto deles que queremos saber o que acontece depois da primeira noite.
E depois começam as viagens, até aí tudo bem, mas começam a ser demasiadas viagens tornando-se um pouco cansativo a sua leitura, mas uma pessoa quer saber mais... e aí depois chega o Fim, que para mim após uma jornada literária e geográf
Cora Tea Party Princess
5 Words: Postcards, e-mail, family, moving, travelling.

This was quite a sweet story, and I quite liked it.

But it was quite... Well. How many times have I just used that word?

As lovely as this story was, I don't think it's something that's really gonna stick with me. Sure, it was sweet and enjoyable, but there was nothing truly stand-out about it, nothing that would compel me to read again.

It was something nice to pass the time, but something that I've also quite forgotten by the time I started t
Gayathri
Mar 31, 2018 rated it it was ok
The story starts with Owen and Lucy stuck in an elevator when the whole city plunges into darkness. It is instant chemistry and once they are rescued they roam around the city and end up chatting for hours. They end up spending their night gazing at stars from their rooftop. As fate intervenes, they both leave New York City soon and part ways.

Owen and his father are trying to get over their loss of their mother and go on a road trip across America. Lucy joins her parents in London who are avid t
Kate (GirlReading)
Jul 14, 2017 rated it liked it
The Geography of You and Me was a cute contemporary read. Unfortunately I wasn't too invested in the characters and I've never been the biggest fan of instalove but I thoroughly enjoyed the vivid descriptions of each individual city and country this book travelled to. Having now read a few of Jennifer E. Smith's books, I'd say this was my least favourite when it came to the writing. For me, it didn't flow as smoothly and have the same fun, quick dialogue as the previous books I've read of hers. ...more
Gonca Özgül (Evetherneyse)
3,5
"Sonunda kitap bitirdim." cümlesindeki mutluluk gözyaşlarını bulunuz.
Parissa Ahmadi
هيچوقت دو كتاب از دوتا نويسنده امريكايى رو پشت سر هم نخونيد. :-D . ممكنه بعضو وقتا دلتنگ بشين براى عشق هاى دوره نوجوانى يا دلتون كتابى ميخواد كه اميدوارتون كنه هنوز هم عشق وجود داره، كتاب بدى نبود در كل اما من كلا از رمان هاى امريكايى خسته شدم چون اول اگر بمانم حالا هم اين كتاب. نميدونم چرا كلا ديگه اين ماجراهاى عاشقونه و اينا خيلى بهم كيف نميده ولى برا كسى كه اين موضوعات واينا براش جذابه كتاب دلچسب و قشنگيه.
Kathleen
Jul 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Rating: 3.5

I actually really ended up enjoying this book. It’s a nice fluffy contemporary.
Angela Aagenborg
Om te beginnen: wat een geweldig mooie cover. Prachtig in zijn eenvoud! En dat geldt ook voor het boek. Duizend kilometer tussen jou en mij wordt om en om door de ogen van de beide tieners geschreven. Wat ik zo typisch vind aan dit boek is dat ik eigenlijk niet eens het gevoel heb dat het over zulke jonge mensen gaat. Natuurlijk zijn er de aanwijzingen dat ze jong zijn, maar door de manier van schrijven hadden het ook midden twintigers kunnen zijn. Een zeer volwassen boek, ondanks dat het Young ...more
Marieke
Wat een ontzettend lief verhaal! Maar er waren toch een aantal dingen waar ik niet helemaal tevreden mee was. Zo was het verhaal naar mijn idee echt te voorspelbaar.. En dat vind ik ontzettend jammer. In eerste instantie heb ik dit boek 4 sterren gegeven, maar daarna ging langer nadenken over het verhaal. Daardoor heb ik mijn rating toch nog veranderd naar 3 sterren. Het verhaal was echt niet slecht hoor, maar dit is ook geen boek dat me nog weken bij zal blijven.

Ik vond het begin echt heel erg
Donna {Book Passion for Life}
Have you ever finished a book and felt as though not a lot happened during the story? Or have you ever finished a book and felt very underwhelmed by it? Well, that’s how I feel about The Geography of You and Me and, I’m starting to feel as though maybe I’m just not meant to enjoy any of Smith’s work.

The premise of The Geography of You and Me is very cute. It’s about two teenagers – Lucy and Owen – who live in the same apartment complex but they don’t meet until they find themselves stuck inside
Angela
Jul 31, 2013 marked it as maybe-read  ·  review of another edition
Hmm... not sure yet. Jennifer E. Smith still hasn't wrote a book that wows me. Maybe this will be the one?
Amanda G. (Nellie and Co.
In the midst of problems: personally, mentally, physically, emotionally and financially, throughout the general pressure and stress of finding my way through those problems and moving on with life, I found The Geography of You and Me on NetGalley. I'd been interested in this book ever since I knew it would exist, going as far as it being my first ever Waiting on Wednesday post, and the moment I saw it, I knew I had to request it; it sounded and looked fantastic, so sitting and waiting, waiting a ...more
Carrie
Oct 03, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lucy and Owen live in the same apartment building in New York but had never actually met one another until one day they end up in the same elevator when the power goes out. Stuck together the two make conversation and find they like one another. After getting out of the elevator Lucy and Owen spend an amazing night together while waiting out the blackout.

Unfortunately for this pair other circumstances end up splitting them apart as each of their families make plans to leave New York. Getting in
Chelsey Ellice
This book was such a fun and cute read, one that I just wanted to keep picking up to finish and see how it ended. Long distance would be so hard but it is possible. I loved how Lucy and Owen had little in jokes and I loved that on there first post card to each other they wrote the same thing. They accidentally met but they couldn't forget each other after it and loved all the little post cards. I wish we still wrote post cards
Lizzie
Feb 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Such a fun and cute contemporary! I loved the two main characters, as well as the duo POV's. The travel aspect was one of my favorite things about this book; I really enjoyed getting to read about London, Scotland, Paris, etc.
I think that the story overall was well written and I'm looking forward to reading Jennifer's other novels. :)
Andrea
Apr 18, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: young-adult
2.5 Stars
Think of a shiny, beautiful red balloon, inflated to capacity. All that promis!! And then, a slow leak. Ffffllllllluuubbbbppppp.
That was the plot. Intriguing hook at the start, likable characters....but then it never really goes anywhere special. And everything falls flat. Oh well.
  • #16thingsithoughtweretrue
  • My Not So Super Sweet Life (My Super Sweet Sixteenth Century, #3)
  • The Chance You Won't Return
  • Bright Before Sunrise
  • The Last Forever
  • The Summer I Found You
  • Nantucket Red (Nantucket, #2)
  • Tabula Rasa (Tabula Rasa, #1)
  • Heartbeat
  • Breakfast Served Anytime
  • This Side of Salvation
  • A Blind Spot for Boys
  • The Art of Lainey (The Art of Lainey, #1)
  • The Edge of Falling
  • Being Sloane Jacobs
  • Where You'll Find Me
  • Open Road Summer
  • The Museum of Intangible Things
Jennifer E. Smith is the author of eight books for young adults, including WINDFALL and THE STATISTICAL PROBABILITY OF LOVE AT FIRST SIGHT. She earned her master's degree in creative writing from the University of St. Andrews in Scotland, and her writing has been translated into 33 languages.
“But there's no such thing as a completely fresh start. Everything new arrives on the heels of something old, and every beginning comes at the cost of an ending.” 163 likes
“There was no point in waiting for someone who hadn't asked, and there was no point in wishing for something that would never happen.” 125 likes