Start by marking “Indelible (Grant County, #4)” as Want to Read:
Indelible (Grant County, #4)

Indelible

(Grant County #4)

4.17  ·  Rating details ·  35,416 ratings  ·  1,241 reviews
An officer is shot point-blank in the Grant County police station and police chief Jeffrey Tolliver is wounded, setting off a terrifying hostage situation with medical examiner Sara Linton at the center. Working outside the station, Lena Adams, newly reinstated to the force, and Frank Wallace, Jeffrey's second in command, must try to piece together who the shooter is and h ...more
Published September 27th 2005 by HarperTorch (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Indelible, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Indelible

·  35,416 ratings  ·  1,241 reviews

Start your review of Indelible (Grant County, #4)
Karin Slaughter
Aug 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)

What I like about this book is you get to see where Jeffrey grew up.
Matthew
Jun 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A solid thriller/mystery

As I am getting more and more used to Slaughter's writing style I have been enjoying them a lot more. Her stories are dark and brutal. The mystery is twisted and not always what it seems. There are lots of characters you love to hate. Throughout the story you never know who is innocent and who is guilty - and it is changing all the time.

Another word of warning on her brutality. The male characters tend to be angry, deviant, abusive jerks - and some of that even describes
Jonetta
Jun 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-suspense
Sara Linton visits Jeffrey at the police station and becomes embroiled in a deadly shootout and hostage situation. The story alternates between this tense showdown and that of Sara and Jeffrey's early relationship.

I thought the alternating stories were done brilliantly. At first, I was impatient, wanting to get on with what was happening at the station. But soon I was just as hooked by the revelations of Jeffrey's past. It wasn't immediately clear how the two would relate but I trusted that it
Susanne  Strong
Oct 08, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audiobooks
2 Stars.

My least favorite of this series so far!

The Present: A Hostage situation at the Police Department. Lives hanging in the balance. The day of the shooting is Detective Lena Adam’s first day back on the job. She never imagined it would start like this.

The Past: At the beginning of their relationship, Jeffrey and Sara take a road trip to his hometown where everything goes awry and Jeffrey and Sara find themselves in the middle of an investigation where Jeffrey’s best friend is accused of mur
Beverly
Jan 31, 2019 rated it liked it
Mo
Sep 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Author's note.

"Sticklers for order who ask "where do I start" reading the Grant County series have two choices. You can go with Blindsighted, which is technically the first book, or you can start with Indelible, which is the "origin story" for Sara and Jeffrey. I always write my books so that anyone can pick up any book and know what's going on and who is who, but I am the type who has to read in order, so I know this is an important question."

Do I agree? Mmmmm ... not su
Karina
Dec 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5

This was not my favorite book in the series but the ending saved it to one star up. This wasn't as grisly or gory as the others I've read but it did go back in time to give the reader more history on the Jeffrey and Sarah relationship. It goes back to when they were a new couple visiting his hometown of Alabama to the present in Grant County.

It starts with 2 men asking for the Chief of Police at the police station and what follows is a mass shooting and hostages.

I didn't guess almost until
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
This is my absolute favourite of this series.

I have read Indelible several times, and now listened on audio. A brilliant, exciting, tense plot whichever way you choose to 'read' it.

Highly recommended.
DeAnn
Jul 27, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 Origin Story Stars

I'm slowly making my way through this series. I seem to go get one of these when I have tons of other books to read, but none of them are appealing!

At any rate, this installment #4 tells the origin story of Dr. Sara Linton and Police Chief Jeffrey Tollinger. We travel to Jeffrey's hometown and he comes from a strange place! I think it helped Sara to see all the things he's overcome to become the man and police officer he is today.

This one doesn't feature Lena as much as #3 a
Kelli
May 16, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio
Leave it to me to select the audio without realizing it was part of a series. In my defense, it didn't indicate that but luckily, the author herself states that those new to the Grant County series can start here at (gulp) book four or at the logical beginning with book one. This reminded me on some level of my days when I read anything Patricia Cornwell. It was entertaining enough but I didn't love it. There is a good chance that is because I didn't begin at the beginning, but it is just as lik ...more
Indelible is the fourth installment in Karin Slaughter's crime thriller series titled Grant County. While this series has focused on developing the female leads up to this point, Indelible adds extra emphasis on the male characters as well as the dynamics of a small town's law enforcement team.

In my opinion, Indelible isn't as dark and gritty as the other Grant County books have been which allows it to be a much appreciated reprieve for some, but makes it my least favorite installment to date (
♥Sharon♥
Jul 25, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My head is about to explode! Wow! Just Wow!!!

This one is definitely the best so far. KS is amazing! I love her writing. Gritty. Intense. Shocking.

Flipping between past and present was a turning point for me. Getting the insight of Jeffrey’s past and the things/people who shaped him was extremely enlightening. Learning of his and Sara’s relationship in the early stages was important to understand the couple they have become.

So crazy shit happened in this one. I wonder what KS has in store for m
Shannon
Aug 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This series is SO good 🙌🏼
Kate
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I do not have enough good things to say about this series. This book in particular was one of my favorites. My jaw was dropping within the first 5 pages and I continued to be surprised throughout the whole book.

In this Grant County novel, the story is being told from present day but also flashes back to when Sara and Jeffrey first met. At first this kind of threw me off but you really get to hear the background on their story and we get to find out a lot about Jeffrey's past which I really love
Bill Garrison
Feb 06, 2013 rated it it was ok
After reading INDELIBLE by Karin Slaughter, I will have now read all of her novels. I realized after reading that I always liked the character Jeffrey Toliver, because he seemed to be the only normal character of the bunch. Well, not after reading this book. It is Tolliver's turn to have his sordid, twisted past revealed. The novel opens with a horrific shootout at the police station where kids are taken hostage and cops are killed.
With the hostages in a standoff, the story skips back in time to
Hollis
Totally not sure how to rate this one. Unlike the early Grant County novels, this isn't a horror show and instead is a total drama-fest. Like.. my mind is blown and I'm overwhelmed by the drama. Not really in a good way, either, as I feel it went a little bit past acceptable amount and into overkill (no pun intended). These characters are exhausting me.

That said, I really liked how the action of this plot unfolded in the present day scenes. That was seriously fucking intense. But of course it wo
Brenda H
Apr 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Indelible is the 4th book in the Grant County series by Karin Slaughter and my favorite so far.

Sara Linton, the town's pediatrician and part-time ME, is at the police station dropping off an autopsy report. While there, she stops to talk to Jeffrey Tolliver, the Chief of Police - as well as her ex-husband and current lover. While there, 2 young men enter the station and begin shooting the police officers, including Jeffrey. This begins a tense hostage situation.

The hostage storyline alternates w
Jenny Jo Weir
This book started out incredible!!! I loved the shock value at the beginning. It was a big bang...but then it goes back in time and starts telling the story of what leads to the incident and well, it was all just a little too much for my liking. There was a LOT of drama and too many problems. It seemed overly done and lost me due to it. Overall though, its a very good book and I'm still a huge fan of the series, just feel maybe she crammed a little too much into this one book.
Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥
Another great read by Karin Slaughter...I don't know what else to say. She is a master at dark, emotional, heartbreaking suspense. Couldn't put it down.
✨Susan✨
I think this is the best book in this series so far. In the last couple of books it was going towards a soap opera drama. This was a fast pace mystery with two time lines.
Mike
Only 2 Stars for this one. Virtually no character in the book is attractive or sympathetic. Depressing scenery, confusing timelines with flashbacks every other chapter. Loved the first book of hers that I read, Triptych, but the Grant County series hasn't clicked and actually I only finished this one because I wanted to see how little I could care about the characters. Except for a couple of minor players, don't care about any of them. ...more
WendyB
Dec 18, 2016 rated it liked it
I don't like Jeffrey, and Lena is annoying the crap out of me.
Janet
Oct 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Indelible is book four in the Grant County series. As the blurb states, the book starts off with a powerful opening. A shooting taking place in the police station kicks off the storyline with timeframes switching between past and present. Here we find out a lot more of Chief Tolliver's background, where he grew up and how events come together to lead to today's shooting.

I can't say I liked this book as much as the others in the series. I enjoyed learning more about Linton's and Tolliver's relati
Teresa
I've been binge-listening to the Grant County series, and this is my favorite book in the series so far! Indelible is recounted in the past and present day. The past is three months after Sara and Jeffrey started dating and are trying to move their relationship to another level. In the present, a hostage situation occurs at the police station on Lena's first day back. Two gunmen storm the station and kill several police officers, injuring Jeffrey, and taking everyone else hostage, including Sara ...more
Marnie  (Enchanted Bibliophile)
This is definitely my favorite book in the Grant County series!

This is the origin story of Jeffrey and Sara, combined with the most horrible of events anyone of them has ever faced.

I never were a Jeffrey fan, but after Indelible I am in love...
Also seeing a younger version of Sara just made her so much more real.

I can't wait to see what is next in line for them.

O, and Lena...
Lena is finally growing up!
Kirsten "every vote counts"
These books are incredible. This one in particular was very tense. It also gave us a wonderful glimpse into Jeffrey and Sara's past. My favorite of the Grant County series so far!

The tension of the hostage scenes was nicely broken up with the flashbacks to the past. I really love these books. In this one, you really got a sense of what made Jeffrey who he is.
Wendy
Nov 25, 2010 rated it really liked it
Re-Read
Indelible is book #4 and a wonderful addition to the Grant County series!
Els
Oct 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book again did not disappoint.
Debra
Apr 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed the two storylines in this book. The past and the present day collide inside of the Grant County Police Station. I found this was of telling the story really worked. I loved how it told us a lot about Jeffrey's past and his relationship with Sara. We see both characters as we have not seen them before. This gives us some insight into the man and into their early days.

Gunmen come into the Police Station and shoot an officer at point blank range. Jeffrey is shot and lays wounded o
Coni (coni_reads or skingproject)
This book starts with a shooting and hostage situation at the police station and then alternates back to the beginning of Jeffrey and Sara’s relationship with him showing her the small Alabama town he grew up in. The two events are tied together but it takes a bit to find out how and why.

I really liked the back and forth. Both situations were very tense but I did find the stuff in the past the most interesting. I loved how so many people were not telling the entire story about a situation which
What was the mystery around Smith's watch? 2 47 Oct 14, 2015 07:56AM
Gwinnett County P...: Karin Slaughter - Grant County series 1 25 Jan 03, 2013 09:16AM

• Hide (Detective D.D. Warren, #2)
  • Live to Tell (Detective D.D. Warren, #4)
  • The Killing Hour (Quincy & Rainie, #4)
  • The Neighbor (Detective D.D. Warren, #3)
  • Love You More (Tessa Leoni, #1; Detective D.D. Warren, #5)
  • One by One
  • Alone (Detective D.D. Warren, #1)
  • The Third Victim (Quincy & Rainie, #2)
  • Catch Me (Detective D.D. Warren, #6)
  • When You See Me (Detective D.D. Warren, #11; Gardner Universe, #20)
  • Say Goodbye (Quincy & Rainie, #6)
  • The Perfect Husband (Quincy & Rainie, #1)
  • Gone (Quincy & Rainie, #5)
  • Fear Nothing (Detective D.D. Warren, #7)
  • The Other Mrs.
  • The Sinner (Rizzoli & Isles, #3)
  • The Next Accident (Quincy & Rainie, #3)
  • Vanish (Rizzoli & Isles, #5)
Karin Slaughter is one of the world’s most popular and acclaimed storytellers. Published in 120 countries with more than 35 million copies sold across the globe, her nineteen novels include the Grant County and Will Trent books, as well as the Edgar-nominated COP TOWN and the instant NEW YORK TIMES bestselling novels PRETTY GIRLS, THE GOOD DAUGHTER, and PIECES OF HER. Her most recent book, THE LAS ...more

Grant County (6 books)
  • Blindsighted (Grant County, #1)
  • Kisscut (Grant County, #2)
  • A Faint Cold Fear (Grant County, #3)
  • Faithless (Grant County, #5)
  • Beyond Reach (Grant County, #6)