Start by marking “Buzz Kill” as Want to Read:
Buzz Kill

Read Excerpt

Buzz Kill

In this fresh and funny teen mystery, seventeen-year-old Millie joins forces with her classmate, gorgeous but mysterious Chase Albright, to try to find out who murdered Coach Killdare.

Putting the dead in deadline
To Bee or not to Bee? When the widely disliked Honeywell Stingers football coach is found murdered, 17-year-old Millie is determined to investigate. She is chasing
Published May 6th 2014 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Buzz Kill, please sign up.
Morgan
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of Buzz Kill
Maria V. Snyder
Nov 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a great mystery book! The main character, Millie has a very strong voice throughout the story and there's plenty of intrigue and drama.
Nasty Lady MJ
To see full review click visit Howdy YAL.

Disclaimer: I do not own Sherlock Holmes. The original or the BBC adaptation. I am merely using the character and characters from the series to illustrate just how stupid Buzz Kill is.
Sherlock: Bored. Bored. Bored.

Watson (Rolls eyes): Don’t start shooting things.

Sherlock: Well, what am I supposed to do? There’s nothing interesting to do around here. All the cases we’ve gotten lately have been so typical. Five second solvers. I need something new. Somethi
Jenelle
Do not read this book.

LISTEN to it.

Some of the featured reviews here are pretty negative, and based on those, I didn't expect much. But now, after finishing the book and rereading those reviews, I think the audio version is what made this work for me.

While the characters are pretty standard, the narrator, Erin Moon, manages to give them that needed breath of life. She has a great "teen" voice-over, er, voice, and differentiates characters in an over the top way reminiscent of cartoon comedy. B
Debbie Narh
good

0.5 Stars

When I was younger, I hated reading. I really did, my mother forced me to stand in front of her and read to her and it felt like a complete hassle to do it. Yet, this one series of books made all that bearable and although wasn't the book that made me start loving books, it did help. Cam Jensen will forever be one of my favourite protagonists and I see a lot of similarities between that series and this book.

Buzz Kill should not be targeted towards young adults, it should be targeted
Liviania
Jul 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
The tone of BUZZ KILL reminded me of NO ONE ELSE CAN HAVE YOU. It is both chipper and dark. Millie Ostermeyer, the heroine, is a school reporter who gets nosy after Coach Killdare is murdered. In many books, there's a murder of a nice person that then reveals their dark secrets. In BUZZ KILL, Coach Killdare was hated, but his death reveals some good things about him.

BUZZ KILL is hard to put down, almost every chapter ending at a place designed to keep you reading. The mystery keeps things moving
Ami
May 27, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnfed, stand-alone
Nope, Nope nope nope nope. This is one of the worst books I have ever read. I could see where the plot was going from the start. From the first page, I could tell I was NOT going to enjoy this book. I was going to try and push through it, because I love murder Mysteries, But I stopped at page 50. It was just... Horrible.

First of all, The characters.
Millie is typical nerd who only has one friend and reads 24/7. Vivian is her arch nemesis, who’s a cheerleader. Chase is a loner on the football te
Wendy
Apr 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Wendy by: Goodreads Giveaways
"Buzz Kill"is an innovative and funny young adult murder-mystery that begins when seventeen year old Millie Ostermeyer and the high school custodian find the unlikeable and loud-mouthed Honeywell Stingers football coach in a storage room under the bleachers. When Vivienne Fitch, Millie's boss on the Honeywell High Gazette and her arch-rival, targets her father as a chief suspect in the murder, she starts her own investigation. What she doesn't expect is to be helped by the good-looking, but secr ...more
Tawnie
Jun 09, 2014 rated it did not like it
"Fresh & funny" is definitely a stretch. I will admit, I'm not finished this book, but I seriously doubt that it matters.

This book is about a high school senior - who acts & talks like she's in middle school. She is lazy, awkward & has a "bulldog nose" I still haven't figured out the latter.

What I keep wondering throughout this book is: how has this girl made it to her senior year in HS? She sleeps through all of her classes, and doesn't speak any French - yet she's in an advanced class. Riiii
Becky
Sep 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book manages to have a lot to say about grief and guilt - with a murder mystery plot to boot - while carrying a deceptively light-hearted tone. The audio production is fantastic. Funny, cute, a bit romantic, and with enjoyable librarian-pandering.
Rebekah
Mar 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I’m not good at explaining stuff but 10/10 story! If you want a great love story that has absolutely amazing and crazy development over the story, a brooding boy who has the best development, a crazy main girl whose probably the funniest main character I’ve ever read and is so strong willed and passionate AND RELATABLE, mixed with an amazing crime story that will have you changing your suspect left and right then this is the book for you! Like seriously I can usually figure out the killer almost ...more
Ellie
Feb 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
awwwWWW I LOVE NANCY DREW SO I LOVED THIS TOO ALSO I REALLY LOVE BETH FANTASKEYYUWHSJSKXK
☆erin☆
great mystery young adult novel! Not much else I can say about considering I read it 4 years ago. If you are looking for a good mystery this is it!
Abby
May 11, 2014 rated it it was ok
I desperately wanted to enjoy this book. I really did. I love mysteries, especially of the teen fiction variety, so everything in me wanted this book to be good.

But it really, really wasn't.

The main character is supposed to be in high school, but her narration made her sound like she was permanently in sixth grade. There was a total of, I believe, one curse word in the entire book. High schoolers use profanity - and a lot of it too. At one point, there are stars to block out language. Stars. In
Alex
Feb 25, 2015 rated it liked it

This wasn't a terrible book, but there was definitely something off about it. It was a cute book - even with murder thrown in! - but it was also pretty disjointed most of the time.

Millie is supposed to be a high school senior, yet she sounds like she is about 14 years old. I found myself spending more time wondering how on earth she has made it this far in school (she's in an Advanced French class but can't speak a word of the language, for instance) than I did wondering who the kille
.·:*¨ × Shannon♥Beel Stole & Ate My Heart × ¨*:
3.5 Stars.

I won this for free through Goodreads First Reads.

I have been an avid fan of Ms. Fantaskey ever since I discovered Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side back in '10. I loved her sharp, witty writing, her amazing development in terms of characters and romance, especially Jessica and Lucius. However, I sadly can't say the exact same thing for Buzzkill. I know I shouldn't compare the two since they are different except for the school setting and the typical more perky girl/brooding g
Sheyenne
WARNING:SPOILERS

This story was really cute. It started off kind of slow but I actually liked it more than I expected to. Millicent Ostermeyer maybe a little nutty but she's very brave.

Coach Killdare or Hollerin' Hank as the kids call him has been murdered! And what's strange is that just a year before Millie came up with a list of suspects of who would murder him. Since her dad happens to be one of the suspects and not just for her for everyone else Millicent decided to figure out who murdered c
Victoria
May 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
First off, I am a fan of Beth Fantaskey’s writing style and could not wait to get my hands on Buzz Kill. To date, I have absolutely enjoyed each and every one of her books.

This fun mystery is a humor-filled cliff-hanger that keeps you guessing right up to the very end. Like the game Clue, I found myself constantly guessing who did it with what weapon and in what place.

Millie, our spunky, wit-filled teen journalist and narrator, captures our attention with her comical ability to deal with painfu
Joy Smith
Aug 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
Millie Ostermeyer's senior year is a rollercoaster ride full of angst, attraction to the aloof quarterback, classroom and classmate problems--and murder. Millie is rebellious and intelligent.

The story begins with her attempts to investigate the football coach's murder, and while she's not a stereotyped teenager, I thought she was at first, but the story begans to unfold with deeper issues. There's a reason for the mysterious classmate and quarterback's withdrawal from everything except football
Stephanie
My Summary: When Millie interviews the school janitor about the cracks in the bleachers, the last thing she expects is to uncover a story of epic proportions: Hollerin' Hank - the school football coach known for his temper - is found dead under the bleachers after a week of not showing up to work.

Now, to clear her father's name, Millie must find out who had it in for the coach. But it won't be easy, and she finds herself teaming up with the mysterious Chase Albright - someone who, it turns out,
Paige
Aug 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Buzz Kill by Beth Fantaskey was a good YA mystery. I am not one for mysteries, but I enjoyed this one. I just think that it had some unnecessary parts. The romance is not over whelming, which I like, and it had a nice plot twist.

I liked how the main character, Millie, sticks up for her dad and isn't a female character that relies on a boy and can do things for herself.
I also liked Chase and how he wants to help Millie and cares about her. He doesn't give up and is a well-written character.

I thin
Heidi
This was shockingly fantastic! One of my top YA reads/listens of the year. The narrator was fantastic, and so was the story. Fall spells mystery mood for me, and this comedic one fit the bill. I usually find contemp YA high school tales overly eye rolly, but this was fun and fresh and surprisingly mature. Loved the main character, loved the romance, all in all I totally recommend it for those readers wanting to infuse a little Nancy Drew-ness into their lives.
Ubah Khasimuddin
Jul 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book, Millie the main character is great! She doesn't conform nor does she want too, but she is not uber alternative either I.e. a goth. I'm not young adult but I loved the romance in the book, my favorite part! Author does wonderful job of building characters, like Chase and Millie's father. Mystery is easy to solve but story itself is fun. Clean Perfect for teens. Love me beth fantaskey books!
Jpaulson
Jun 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Millie is a fantastic character! I loved this book from page one! Fantaskey writes with such charm and humor, the reader feels like she is in a conversation with Millie instead of reading about her conundrum surrounding the murder of "holler in' hank Kildare. Romance, a secret past, and a rivalry round out this adorable book.
Lisa Nocita
Jun 04, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ya-2014
Very appropriate for middle grade readers despite having high school aged characters. The mystery is not so mysterious and the main character, Millicent, comes across as a good deal younger than her age would suggest.
Amy
Jan 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: srjh-book-clubs
One thing I tire easily of in YA novels is when the female character is continually self-deprecating. "He'll never date me... I'll never be... I'm not enough..." That was one thing I didn't like. It picked up at the end.
Carlo Maples
Mar 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you do not understand the high school mindset don't read this book. students are not perfect people and are whinny, stubborn, and complain a lot, if you do not like characters reacting to the situations they are in in realistic ways, don't touch this book. The book is accurate to the average high school student and not to the average book reading adult. If you aren't reading the character with a side of sass, you might not be truly getting the good experience. I feel this book is amazing for ...more
Mari
Jan 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Funny and quirky high-school romance-slash-murder-mystery. Millie is all sorts of crazy and I loved her for it while Chase is not your average brooding jock. Read it!
Heather
Nov 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Cute, clean, fun, murder mystery.

Angel
Mar 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Wow. Nancy Drew turned modern and less goody two-shoes! DEF worth the read and five stars.
Natalie Diaz
Apr 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is amazing because of the action, but it also had a little romance which was also good. It was cool because of the murdering.

• Curveball: The Year I Lost My Grip
  • Trouble Makes a Comeback (Trouble, #2)
  • Trouble Never Sleeps (Trouble, #3)
  • Trouble Is a Friend of Mine (Trouble, #1)
  • Trust Me, I'm Lying (Trust Me, #1)
  • Famous Last Words
  • Live and Let Shop (Spy Goddess, #1)
  • They All Fall Down
  • Six Months Later
  • This Is Our Story
  • I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You (Gallagher Girls, #1)
  • People Like Us
  • Find Me (Find Me, #1)
  • What I Like About You
  • Rules for Being a Girl
  • Today Tonight Tomorrow
  • Remember Me (Find Me, #2)
  • Moment of Truth (Love, Life, and the List, #3)
Hi! I'm Beth Fantaskey, author of Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side, Jessica Rules the Dark Side, Jekel Loves Hyde, Buzz Kill and my new middle grade novel, Isabel Feeney, Star Reporter. I live in rural Pennsylvania - the setting for most of my books - with my husband, three children, a slightly dysfunctional cat, a completely dysfunctional dog, an immortal goldfish and a hermit crab nam ...more