Start by marking “Systems Performance: Enterprise and the Cloud” as Want to Read:
Systems Performance: Enterprise and the Cloud

Systems Performance: Enterprise and the Cloud

The Complete Guide to Optimizing Systems Performance Written by the winner of the 2013 LISA Award for Outstanding Achievement in System Administration
Large-scale enterprise, cloud, and virtualized computing systems have introduced serious performance challenges. Now, internationally renowned performance expert Brendan Gregg has brought together proven methodologies,
Published October 26th 2013 by Prentice Hall (first published September 27th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Systems Performance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Systems Performance

Start your review of Systems Performance: Enterprise and the Cloud
Yevgeniy Brikman
Jan 11, 2017 rated it liked it
This isn't a book, so much as it is a reference manual or an appendix. It's nearly 800 pages of dense, low-level discussions of performance issues related to the CPU, memory, hard drive, OS, and so on. The writing is very structured, repetitive, and dry and resembles a list of facts more than prose. If you have a specific performance issue and need to know how to, say, use DTrace to diagnose an issue with a memory leak, this book is perfect. If you're looking for something you can read cover to ...more
Mosab
Jun 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Highly recommended!
Athanasios
Jan 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Do not let the size daunts you however. Chapters are self-contained, as the author understands that the book might be read under pressure, and contain useful exercises at the end.

What really makes this book stands out, is not the top-notch technical writing or abundance of useful one-liners, is the fact that the author moves forward and suggests a methodology for troubleshooting and performance analysis, as opposed to the ad-hoc methods of the past (or best case scenario a checklist and $DEITY
Brandon Antone
Jan 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great book for any Linux Operations guys out there to test and determine metrics for your infrastructure.
Paul
Dec 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely amazing book on performance measurement. Contains a lot of theory how to measure performance (starting from "what performance really is" - and it is not so obvious) to example how to drill down. This books contains a lot of practical examples on performance issues investigation. Looks slightly outdated (tap, solaris, DTrace) but it is really worth reading for admins and every person who cares about performance.
Sayedhadi
Oct 29, 2017 rated it liked it
The book addresses two different questions:
1. How to analyze systems performance? (Methodology)
2. How to use tools to achieve these goals? (Tools)

The first question is thoroughly answered in the book. However, the second question is pretty outdated for Linux.
David
Nov 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Though at risk of being a tad ranty about how Solaris is better than linux, Brendan Gregg's detail and understanding of Kernel development and performance is comprehensive and both introduces the topic and then guides the reader through how to measure it. It's a must-read for Linux developers.
Ernestas Poskus
Aug 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Grail of performance issues/improvements.
Ivan
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Внушительный справочник по перфомансу, читать один раз явно недостаточно.
Ankit
Dec 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Brings down performance analysis to actual commands and methodologies you can directly use. Quite nice read.
Jose Luis Prieto Priego
Apr 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I bought and started to read this book to prepare myself for a job interview. Really recommendable.
Ps: I finally got the job :)
ferhat
Jul 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018_read
Good to skim through to learn about what is possible and out there, but it's more like a reference book to check when needed with a specific performance problem.
Dmytro Sirenko
Jan 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
An in-depth look at modern Linux introspection, functioning, tools and metrics.

The USE method is very helpful for an SRE.
Janis Orlovs
Mar 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Bible of following topic
huydx
Feb 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
One of my most favourite everything-reference when I need to do system benchmark/trouble-shooting. This book covers almost all aspects of low-level stuff from kernel to network-protocol, or file system, disk system. Highly recommended.
Terry
Jul 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: it
This book is nightmarishly good. I figured it would take months to slog through it, but was able to in 4 months. I was a bit nutty, since I took handwritten notes.

Book I wanted to have when I first started my career. All the stuff in OS classes and things gleaned from experience wrapped up in one, with exercises at chapter's end to test your knowledge, well-written text, graphics that accurately capture and describe topics and a mild amount of human humour injected where appropriate.

This is a
Manzur
Dec 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A very good introduction into systems performance. This book touches system's performance
all the way from bottom(hardware) to up(to the application level). The systematic approach
taken in each chapter will teach principles and methods of system performance along with the tools like DTrace. It shows how to use tools on the real world cases giving a solid introduction on the "why" part of performance issue.

I hope the future edition will include more modern tools for Linux like eBPF. Otherwise,
Franck Chauvel
Jun 07, 2016 rated it liked it
This book details how to approach software performance issues. It explains how to observe, measure and visualise what is happening in the OS and beyond (only on the Linux and Solaris platforms). I don't think the book reads very well from cover to cover, but I did devour the first chapters that explain the concepts and methodologies, as well as the final the case study. To my opinion, the rest seems more of a reference to consult when faced with a particular performance issue as they covers CPU, ...more
Anuj Bahuguna
Nov 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: computer-science
My favorite book ever. I haven't read a book better than this on the topic of system performance. Brendan is definitely one of the foremost Engineers in the world. This should be a mandatory reading for everyone willing to become a performance engineer. Can't recommend this book highly enough.
Gary Boland
Nov 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A brilliant book. Gregg takes a microscope to the operating system and shows what goes on under the hood. One of the best computer science books I have ever read.

Note: get the dead tree book or the pdf. Epub formatting is dreadful.
Bhaskar Chowdhury
Dec 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Excellent .
André Santos
Jan 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great book, provides a wide view of systems performance. Must read for anyone interested in the subject.
Kaspars
Dec 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of must-read books for systems people.
Covers methodologies ask and tools for performance analysis as well as explains systems internals.
Jaedon Kim
Oct 16, 2015 rated it liked it
Good introductory book for computer architecture from HW/SW perspective.
Good reference book for performance monitoring.
Johan
Jan 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Excellent all-round intro how to look into performance issues
Bubbly

• A History of Western Philosophy
  • The Young Lions
  • Advanced UNIX Programming
  • Elastic: Flexible Thinking in a Time of Change
  • The Negative Calorie Diet: Lose Up to 10 Pounds in 10 Days with 10 All You Can Eat Foods
  • Collected Short Stories
  • Cuba
  • Introduction to Search with Sphinx
  • Fall, or Dodge in Hell

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
“Beyond 60% utilization, the average response time doubles. By 80%, it has tripled. As disk I/O latency is often the bounding resource for an application, increasing the average latency by double or higher can have a significant negative effect on application performance. This is why disk utilization can become a problem well before it reaches 100%, as it is a queueing system where requests (typically) cannot be interrupted and must wait their turn.” 1 likes
“2. Methodology” 0 likes