Start by marking “Test-Driven Web Development with Python” as Want to Read:
Test-Driven Web Development with Python

Test-Driven Web Development with Python

(Test-Driven Development with Python)

By taking you through the development of a web application from beginning to end, this book demonstrates the practical advantages of test-driven development with Python. You’ll learn everything from the basics of database integration and the use of JavaScript to browser-automation tools like Selenium, and advanced topics such as NoSQL, Web Sockets, and async programming.

Id
Published June 22nd 2014 by O'Reilly Media (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Test-Driven Web Development with Python, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Test-Driven Web Development with Python

Start your review of Test-Driven Web Development with Python
Matthew
Jul 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: computer
This is by far my favorite book on Django. In addition, it's probably one of the best written computer books I've read.

If you want to learn the Django syntax, read the Django documentation and go through the tutorial. Learning the syntax of a programming language or framework is the relatively easy part though. The harder part is learning how to efficiently and practically use the language/framework to create an actual application. That's where Harry Percival's Test-Driven Web Development with P
Case
Jun 22, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Once again I am tricked by the book title. This book would better find its target audience if it was titled Intro to Test-Driven Development with Selenium and Django. That has all the right keywords and would not mislead the reader into believing it serves a more general purpose than it does.

The writing is clever, however, and I have a singular appreciation for his git-centric tutorial approach. If you are looking for an intro to some subset of Selenium, TDD, Django, and Git, I think this will
Juan Argote
Sep 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: programming
This is an excellent introduction to the Test Driven Development programming paradigm. Harry manages to make this book accessible and entertaining while at the same time delving into the details of complex concepts. The text can also be used as an introduction to web development using the Django framework. If you are interested in developing tools the right way make sure to take a look at this book and obey the testing goat.
Michael
Jul 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Read a rough cut, so it isn't quite finished, but it has a load of interesting approaches and ideas. Definitely a keeper. ...more
Roger Camargo
Jun 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Amazing book! you can learn also about good practices and many concepts!
Hoda
Apr 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thanks to covid-19 which gave me the time to finish this book, after long time that this book was in my reading list!
I really enjoyed reading this book. I did know about unit tests and functional tests before reading this book and had written many unit tests for java projects. But this book shows many new aspects of testing. I specially liked the author's explanations from development level all the way to staging and production and how to make everything automated.
Obeying the testing goat is def
Johnny
May 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book offers a good and detailed introduction into testing your Python code. The author explains tools that will make testing a lot simpler and shows in detail how you can test complicated tings like CSS well enough so that your tests find bugs and not your users. I do not use the same frameworks as the author; therefore, the last 200 pages got a bit boring. Nevertheless, this is a good book that offers a lot.
Constantine
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: the-list
The best book I've ever read on programming and Django in particular! Even if it says "Test-Driven Development" you'll find so much more than that. Like application design, OOP practices, deployment and even CI! I always knew that tests are important but dreaded to try it. Now I can't wait to implement the knowledge I got from this book. It's a must read 100%! ...more
Paul Schmidt
Jan 21, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent introduction to Test-Driven Development, Web Frameworks, and Django! Worthwhile for the beginner programmer as well as the intermediate.

That said, it’s only after finishing that I realized how clear and easy-to-follow the Django docs are. Much of the content can be found there. (Although the philosophy of TDD is only briefly mentioned.)
Dan
Jun 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Truly excellent. The author doesn't just introduce Test Driven Development. He also includes a full demo of Django plus intros to Bootstrap, server setup, git-based deployments, and more.

I'm using this now to build a web application for my union and it's been very helpful.
Son Dang
May 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent books for web development and TDD beginner

The book strikes wonderful balance between theories and practical stuffs, a good sense of humour and coverage. Totally love it and will read it several times.
Tomas Chmelevskij
Sep 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dev
Really good explanation of TDD. Some of the concepts and approaches I've carried to other languages. One thing though as somebody mentioned. It's quite focused on Django. But other than is quite transferable. ...more
Silver
Jul 01, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: programming
Very, VERY outdated.
Omar Trejo
Apr 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A very good introduction to TDD. Nice writing.
Ivan
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Великолепное введение в TDD, море практики, отлично разьяснение.
Steve
Apr 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Very much appreciated this step-by-step intro to TDD. Well-organized for learning from big picture through finer points.
Geoff
Mar 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: computer-science
An excellent, very readable introduction to TDD and Django.
Ramy Mohamed
Mar 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
The book is awesome but TDD is too idealistic to be a practical way of building software.
Gökmen Görgen
If you want to learn Django from scratch using Test Driven Development methodology, this book will be good choice for understanding how a Django developer prepares views - templates - models, deploys and develops the project with TDD, and uses CI tools.

But if you already a Django developer, this book may come boring. Even though I read the book and thanks to Harry for his effort.
Chaitat
May 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I love this book so much. I read it 2 times already (different early release versions) as I am new to testing in general. It is worth every Baht I paid for to O'Reilly. Thanks to my friend who introduces this book to me and thanks to the author too. I will have to read it for the third time after I practice about the mocking. I got lost at that chapter. It is a difficult topic as the author said. ...more
Pavel Karateev
Nov 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: python, dev, percival
This is realy a great book, Harry is an outstanding professional and he used a simple language to describe a lot of testig topics and best practise. I definitely recommend it to anyone who works with Django and "web"-Python.

However there is a problem - Django is not mentioned in the title and it absolutely should. Short "Web" is not enough. If you know nothing about Django and you not a web developer you will lose a lot of time and maybe even fail to finish the book.
Anton Antonov
Nov 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: technical
A must read for every TDD enthusiast and Python and Django devs. It teaches you Django and JS testing and mocking. Yes, I said mocking. A real gem for TDD learning and understanding. Even if you practice TDD, you surely can learn something new along the way.

Also the Automation and Deployment parts were really useful even for experienced 'deployers'.
Brian Palmer
Aug 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
The integration of testing into a 'real' (simplified) python application fills a real hole on my bookshelves; too often testing is about work with a 'calculator' or similar toy program, or is shown in Java (which uses very different approaches in its testing). ...more
alejandro do nascimiento
Jun 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Great book, recommended for everyone, if your a beginner you'll get a great tutorial for Django and TDD.

For the more experience the selenium and mock info is highly detailed and useful.

It was an enjoyable read.
Olexiy Kutsenko
Aug 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pr
Outdated code.
Deepak Dohare
Apr 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: n-njn
i want to read this book
Tihomir
Sep 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
It is a good book on TDD. I found it useful building all the tests on a real project. The advanced topics are also quite useful.
Shashank Sharma
Oct 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Amazingly well written and very very good content ! Deserves a minimum of 5 stars !
Oluwaseun Popoola
Mar 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
A great book but could have been titled TDD with Django and Selenium. Prior Django/Linux knowledge is not required but helpful.
Try before you buy? CC-licensed copy 1 7 Jul 28, 2014 07:24AM

• The Clean Coder: A Code of Conduct for Professional Programmers
  • Think Python
  • Clean Architecture
  • Python Tricks: A Buffet of Awesome Python Features
  • Automate the Boring Stuff with Python: Practical Programming for Total Beginners
  • The Pragmatic Programmer: From Journeyman to Master
  • Two Scoops of Django: Best Practices for Django 1.8
  • Design Patterns: Elements of Reusable Object-Oriented Software
  • The Simpsons and Their Mathematical Secrets

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »