Start by marking “Камъкът на раздялата (Спомен, Печал и Трън, #2)” as Want to Read:
Камъкът на раздялата (Спомен, Печал и Трън, #2)

Камъкът на раздялата

(Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn #2)

В това обширно, динамично и вълнуващо продължение на “Престолът от драконова кост” разпръснатите съюзници, които се противопоставят на изменника Елиас, върховния крал на Остен Ард, и на Инелуки, Краля на бурите, си проправят път към Камъка на раздялата в древния, изоставен град Енки-е-Шао’сейе. Момчето Саймън, тролът Бинабик и техните спътници пренасят Трън, един от трите ...more
Published 2004 by Бард (first published August 7th 1990)

Dirk Grobbelaar
My review of The Dragonbone Chair did not do the novel justice. It was written in haste, a few quickly typed lines before I launched into The Stone of Farewell. See, The Dragonbone Chair ended on such a note that I just did.not.have.the.time to think about a decent review. I simply had to know what happened next.

The first novel went to great pains to establish the world, so there wasn’t such a lot of exposition required for The Stone of Farewell. This freed the author up to do what he apparently
Claudia
Aug 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A bit too long even for my taste, although, if you ask me, I don’t know what could have been cut from it. We follow our heroes’ quest throughout Osten Ard, but now we have more threads. The remaining ‘good guys’ are scattered throughout the land, each trying to reach the Stone of Farewell, the last safe bastion from the Storm King.

There is a single wow moment, for me at least, and it was at 96%. However, there isn’t a single dull moment in the whole book. It’s just that their journeys are taking
Wanda
As I look back on the reading experience for Stone of Farewell, I wonder exactly why I enjoyed it so much? I mean, not an awful lot happens. Simon returns to being a pouty, immature boy more often than not. There’s an awful lot of walking, while keeping a look-out for the bad guys. In fact, you could probably sum up the whole book in one sentence: Most of the good guys get to the Stone of Farewell.

I guess what made it worthwhile for me was learning quite a bit more about the Sithi (Williams’ ver
Solseit
Jun 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a great second book in a series.
Plenty of characters, great characters, challenges which showed more of the main characters reactions and humanity.
Amazing plot, properly written and developed. Just the right amount of cliffhangers.
Also, great female characters, stronger than average and annoyed by being contained in a stereotype.
I felt completely immersed in the story and invested in the characters.
Amar
Mar 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2018
Tamam kad mu htjedoh dati trojku, Tad se izvuče na samom kraju. A što sam samo trojku htio dati? Jer za mene ova knjiga pati od sindroma druge knjige, gdje se glavna priča samo minimalno pomakela naprijed. Imamo mnogo arcova ovdje, od kojih mi je samo Simonov bio baš zanimljiv, dok su ostali bili za moj ukus previše razvučeni.
Oko priče se slabo može sta novo napisati, jer se baš malo oko glavne priče desilo, ali Williamsova naracija je i dalje perfektna. Krajolici Osten Arda su tako divno opisa
Ahdam Rana
Ok first review of 2018 and what do you know its 5 stars out of 5

Anyway this book is a huge improvement on the previous book which was already fantastic, I think what stood out for me in this book was the pace and tension kept building as it wasn't like in the great hunt where it starts all over again for each book. I felt the story moved much more here than in Dragonbone chair and I was invested into what the characters were up to as they got on with there tasks set for them in Osten Ard.

That
Kaitlin
This is book #2 in the Memory, Sorrow and Thorn series and it's a pretty classic fantasy series. I find that classic fantasy often tends to fall into some of the tropes I don't love very much (sloooooow pacing and not so developed characters were the two major complaints with this book) but when I am in the mood to read a classic fantasy series I do enjoy a good one and I think this one is that :)

Simon is the main character for a lot of the first book but I feel like in book two we start to bran
Chris Gousopoulos
  The apocalypse that has befallen the world of Osten Ard is fully unveiled. It might be a slow unravelling but it is a very satisfying one. The worldbuilding is tremendous. Our view of the world expands and its full of magnificent places, people and their stories. Especially the various subraces of the elvenkind are awesome. Apart from the Middle Earth this is the only place that I can say that I love the Elves. They share the grandeur and the drama of their Tolkien counterparts but they are at ...more
Kitvaria Sarene
It has been about 7 years since I read the first book - and it took me quite a while to get back into the story. Once I remembered the multitude of characters, I was quickly sucked in again.
On the one hand I really enjoyed the story - on the other hand it was veeeery long in places. A lot of description, that didn't feel entirely necessary in some scenes - while at other places it felt perfectly balanced, even though it had some minute details.

What bugged me (as everyone knowing me will expect)
Aurora
Sep 09, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I hate this book. Here, let me sum it up for you so you don't waste all the time I did hoping this monstrosity would get better.

Some people walk through a forest. A fight happens. Someone falls down and has a prophetic dream that they never tell anyone about. More walking through the forest.

Repeat ad nauseum.
Yes, that was the entire book. People 'falling senseless' or whatever the heck every ten pages, a lot of whining, and the occasional anticlimactic pointless battle followed by more passing
Dawn
++SPOILERS++

Whereas the first book was a nice comfort read, this one gave me anxiety through much of it.

Lots of stuff going on, a bit more conflict but few resolutions, which I expect will come in the last book.

There is alot of back and fourth with different characters POV's as they all strive to their own purposes.

I have grown to dislike Mirabele, who in the first book seemed strong but has now turned to a stupid shallow child. I hate that she gave herself to the earl..little whore.. I also hat
Sara J. (kefuwa)
#ReturnToOstenArd: Re-read this as part of a bookstagram group-read with Tange, Jacob & Nadine in anticipation of the Witchwood Crown coming out in June 2017!

23/5/17: Annnnd I'm done! Not going to stop to write anything atm as it will be mostly fangirling as per the review for Dragonbone Chair. Used mostly my ebook version to get through this one as well - I will stick a review on the ebook version later on too (urgh - so many mistakes Hachette UK!) - I also need to add a new edition for the
Marina
Aug 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is amazing. Full of magic and intrigue, characters were awesome. Plot was engaging, but it is still bit too long. Picking this book would be great way to loose couple of hours or, in my case, weeks. I'm slow reader, but it was worth reading this book.
Kat  Hooper
Mar 31, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Re-read on audio. Will review at www.fantasyliterature.com.
Taylor
Nov 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is definitely my favorite out of the four Tad Williams books that I've read so far! Stone of Farewell is pure awesomeness! :)

My Goodreads Rating/Score: 5 out of 5 Stars / 10 out of 10 on my own scoring system.
Aldi
Celine
Stone of Farewell, the sequel to The Dragonbone Chair and the second book in the Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn epic fantasy series continues the journey of our cast of main characters - quite literally.

Simon and his friends might have found the sword Thorn, but a single sword is not enough to bring down King Elias. Meanwhile, Prince Josua flees from the Norn that have destroyed his army and his city. Miriamele and the mysterious Father Cadrach try to reach her uncle to appeal to him and get his to s
Jacob
Oct 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, favorites
When I first read this book twenty years ago I was frustrated with the side characters/stories because I had no patience and thought this story should be about Seoman alone. Now I can laugh at how foolish and shallow I was and marvel at how beautiful the story truly is. Tiamak's inner struggles alone would be worth a story about. This is an excellently crafted tale that adds depth and life to this trilogy.
Jessica
Jul 20, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
On my third (possibly fourth) reading of this book, I realized something: it was just as good as the first time I read it.

The splendid cast of characters, all real individuals, are just as engrossing. The layers of plot (and plotting) are just as tight and as fascinating.

Thus I maintain my stance that this is one of the best fantasy series of all time.
Kiwi Begs2Differ  ✎
Beautiful prose, interesting and complex world, an extensive cast of well defined characters (even females!), however the pace was slower that I would have liked, I wasn’t exactly bored but I felt I was meandering along the story.
3.5 stars rounded down
Elwen
Auch beim 2. Mal wieder toll <3
Einerseits möchte ich die Reihe gleich weiterlesen, andererseits hab ich auch Lust auf was neues und noch soviel Ungelesenes... Luxusprobleme eines Bücherwurms^^
Matthew Quann
While I loved the world-building and moderate pace of The Dragonbone Chair , I found myself missing the compulsive readability of a lot of modern fantasy. All the same, there were nuggets of classic fantasy I read as a fledgling that stoked the fires of nostalgia, while the signs of fantasy pivoting from its roots gave me a bit of historical satisfaction. You can imagine my pleasure when I discovered that Stone of Farewell picks up the pace and deepens the richness of Osten Ard.

I found myself f
Bogdan
Solid second book in the series, maybe a little long in some chapters like some other readers have stated, but a good atmosphere overall, so I can`t complain much.
The whole story and the way this is written has a classical tone and evolution to it and being a big fan of this peculiar aspect I could say that I enjoy this volume quite a lot.
Yeah, definitely good stuff for me!

Scott
Jun 23, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, re-read
This one is a tough one for me.
It's a re-read and I haven't read this book since it was first released 30 so years ago.
My memory has always told me that it's my favorite fantasy series of all time and I loved the last book...this one was not as good.
The writing is beautiful, almost poetic.
The characters are amazing, probably a hundred or so, all fully formed. Interesting, conflicted, complex.
The plot is just what I like - epic, huge, sprawling, majestic.
But
This book was slow and let's be serious
Jenn
This amazing fantasy series continues in the second volume with more excellent plotting, characterizations, and world-building. It reminds me of the Two Towers, which is also a "middle" novel, where events continue to progress from the first novel (and there's a lot of traveling and characters moving around). I'm impressed with Williams' ability to create so many characters who are given interesting roles and backgrounds, and to weave their stories so effortlessly, but sometimes feel resentful w ...more
Nikki
May 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
There are many things about this series which are just rather typical. You can predict a lot of the narrative beats and tropes, because it’s drawing from the same well of story as a lot of other epic fantasy. However, if you made it through the first book (a feat in itself just because of how long it is), you’re probably aware of that and on board for the characters. And I’m pleased to note that they don’t disappoint: Simon gets less annoying, Rachel the Dragon continues to play her part, Binabi ...more
GrilledCheeseSamurai
It's true, what they say, there is a lot of walking in this book. In fact, one could say that the entire book is, for the most part, one big journey. Don't be fooled, however, this is no mundane trek through a predictable fantasy world full of whimsy. It is a journey fraught with peril - filled with Giants and creatures that crawl beneath the ground - and not all the dangers are as mysterious as the creatures of legend, for the evils of man are just as treacherous as the teeth of the most fearso ...more
Aleah
Dec 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, epic-fantasy
Readers of fantasy know that, quite often, the second book in a trilogy suffers from the dreaded "black sheep" syndrome. Book two is the slightly overlooked middle child. Less respected than the first and less spoiled than the last -- but necessary nonetheless. Characters often go on long journeys in the second book and think about things ad nauseam, all in preparation for whatever climax awaits in book three.

Luckily for us, Tad Williams is a master of the genre and handles this unfortunate yet
David
Feb 22, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stone of Farewell picked right up from the abrupt ending of Dragonbone Chair. I was extremely pleased that all of the characters managed to find themselves in a variety of interesting situations, always keeping me turning those pages. I found this book to be considerably more entertaining than the first. It wrapped up with a satisfying conclusion. I'm jumping right in To Green Angel Tower (Part 1).
Vivone Os
KUMSKI BOOK CLUB READING CHALLENGE 2017 - 6
(naknadno dodana, fantasy book, book over 400 pages)
Moram reći da je puno puno bolja od prvog dijela. Prvi me apsolutno smorio, a drugi dio je od početka napet, zanimljiv, pun akcije. Likovi su odlični, pratimo ih nekoliko, raznolike, zanimljive, a ne kao u prvom dijelu pola knjige samo Simona.
Toliko mi je dobro sve napravljeno da sad jedva čekam vidjeti što će s kim od njih biti i kako će se izvući iz svojih nevolja.
Fantasy Buddy Reads: Stone of Farewell [May 15, 2018] 20 21 Jun 03, 2018 08:15PM
Fantasy Buddy Reads: Stone of Farewell 17 31 Jun 22, 2017 12:44AM
Fantasy Book Club: Stone of Farewell****Buddy Read**** 36 40 Mar 30, 2016 09:25AM
Goodreads Librari...: Multiple parts of the translated edition of one book 4 32 Aug 31, 2013 05:57PM
  • The Star Scroll (Dragon Prince, #2)
  • Crown of Shadows (The Coldfire Trilogy, #3)
  • A Sword from Red Ice (Sword of Shadows, #3)
  • A Man Rides Through (Mordant's Need, #2)
  • Sea without a Shore (Moontide and Magic Rise, #2)
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Warhost of Vastmark (Wars of Light & Shadow, #3; Arc 2 - The Ships of Merior, #2)
  • A Darkness At Sethanon (The Riftwar Saga, #4)
  • The Eye of the Hunter (Mithgar, #14)
  • The Blood Knight (Kingdoms of Thorn and Bone, #3)
  • A Song for Arbonne
  • The Dragon Revenant (Deverry, #4)
  • Prince of Dogs (Crown of Stars, #2)
  • The Prophet of Akhran (Rose of the Prophet, #3)
Tad Williams is a California-based fantasy superstar. His genre-creating (and genre-busting) books have sold tens of millions worldwide, in twenty-five languages. His considerable output of epic fantasy and science fiction book-series, stories of all kinds, urban fantasy novels, comics, scripts, etc., have strongly influenced a generation of writers: the ‘Otherland’ epic relaunches June 2018 as an ...more

Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn (3 books)
  • The Dragonbone Chair (Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn, #1)
  • To Green Angel Tower (Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn, #3)
“Not everyone can stand up and be a hero, Princess. Some prefer to surrender to the inevitable and salve their consciences with the gift of survival.” 11 likes
“Now I end my death song. I give my farewell to mountain and sky. It has been good to be alive.” 5 likes