Start by marking “Deep in the Count” as Want to Read:
Deep in the Count

Deep in the Count

Brandon plays baseball for Virginia Tech. Although his coach is confident he has a successful career ahead of him, Brandon's not so sure. What if he doesn’t make it? What will he have to fall back on? He wishes he were smarter. He looks at his friend's roommate and thinks he’d give anything for that confidence and those brains. Because brains and confidence? That’s sexy! ...more
Published July 5th 2013 by M/M Romance Group @ goodreads

Start your review of Deep in the Count
Exina

A cute geek-jock story with an unordinary approach to the personalities of the characters: nerdy math genius Corey is confident and driven, while baseball player Brandon is not so sure in his future. But he is sure and confident in one thing, that Corey and he would make a great couple.

I loved the charming and smart way Brandon captured Corey’s heart and swept his resistance away.

And the strip tutoring was fun! ;)

Deep in the Count is a lovely, enjoyable story.

☆ Todd
Sep 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This short, free read was cute, sweet and utterly adorable.

Tall, blond Brandon is the pitcher for Virginia Tech's baseball team and he happens to think that nothing is much hotter than smarty, nerdy boys.

And how fortuitous for Brandon that his best friend and fellow team member, Jack, just so happens to live with such an enticing nerdlet.

Talk, dark and dorky Corey is the very epitome of geekdom. He studies non-stop, constantly fiddles with his Rubik's Cube, works at the math tutoring center
Ami
A cute young adult story with slightly different jock/nerd theme that managed to make me smile and feel happy. Here are my reasons:

+ Corey -- the "nerd" is the one that is more confident throughout the story. He is indifferent to Brandon's thinking that Corey's attractive. Corey is so focused on his dreams, he already has his life mapped out, and he doesn't have time for boyfriend. I love that. Usually it's the other way around so I love that it's NERD POWER!!!

+ Brandon is just so sweet and
~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
Heavy on the cuteness, low on the steam; geek + jock prove opposites do attract.

Brandon did all the work here. I wanted Corey to try harder. The stripping games were fun, though.

One star deducted for the obnoxious ending. I want to read, not solve a puzzle.
Christina Marie
This was so frakking adorable.

I have a soft spot for a good nerd & jock romance, so this was perfect for me. If you’re in the mood for something quick and sweet, then Deep in the Count is perfect for you too.

Brandon: The Jock

photo BaseballLean_zpsf258d989.jpg
Brandon is on the Baseball team at his university. He’s not exactly the typical jock character. He is out, a little awkward, and oh so adorable. Brandon needs help with his Statistics homework. He goes to the tutoring center where he meets Corey, who he is
Macky
Jul 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I love jock /geek stories, I love that these two cute guys defied the normal J/G relationship, the code breaking at the end is a fun idea and for me its another brilliant edition to the LHNB series of shorts. Thank you Madison, you've given us another winner. I loved the story.
Anyta Sunday
4.5

Madison Parker is an autobuy author for me. This short story sealed the deal. What a funny, sweet, well-developed jock/nerd romance.

What I really LOVED about the story was:

The details. This story didn’t feel generic, it felt like Brandon and Corey were real people each with their own likes and dislikes that gave them distinct personalities. Particularly the scenes from Corey’s perspective. These really got into his ‘nerd’ voice, and his inner ramblings on math and deciphering encryptions
Bev

Woohoo, this LHNB event just keeps getting better and better. Loved this twist on a jock/geek story, really cute. 4.25 stars and

Brandon is a jock, but doesn't feel that baseball is giving him everything he needs or wants...in fact, he's starting to wonder whether baseball is the future for him. One of his friends on the team Jack, is rooming with a math genius Corey, who is also very fond of cryptology (code breaking) and playing with a Rubik's Cube...yep go figure!! Jack is cool with the fact
Meags
4 Stars

I've yet to meet a Madison Parker story I didn't like. This was a great little story featuring my much loved nerd/jock combo. We have Brandon, the baseball playing jock who struggles with statistics and Corey, the super nerd who plays with rubix cubes, works as a tutor on the side and dreams of one day being a successful cryptologist. Opposites very much attract here and it was all sorts of sweet and adorable to watch these two come together.

I loved the strip games! I feel like strip
Deeze
Jul 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
A very enjoyable little short.

I loved the twist of the Jock/Nerd in this one.

The Cryptology slant was interesting, albeit way over my head lol. I can do the simple letter change ones but after looking up Kryptos I was lost lol.

This was a real feel good read. Perfect for when you want something light-hearted, sweet and romantic lol.
Bárbara
Oct 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was a fantastic short read!

It was different from what I expected, in a very, very good way: it was the fluffy, adorable story that I was needing expecting, and it was incredibly fun to read. The characters were all fantastic and really easy to love, which is even greater because in such a short space it's something hard to accomplish. Everything about this story is amazing.

There was also the very interesting factor that made the reading much more entertaining (view spoiler)
Cole Riann
Don't hate on me haters! This isn't out yet, but please visit the link near the end of the review, which will take you to Madison's blog where she talks about the story, the characters, and cryptology!

Review posted at The Armchair Reader.

This story is not yet available, just so you know. But, seeing it already on Goodreads meant that I just couldn't wait! So, Madison sent me a copy and let me know I could post it whenever I wanted, since we don't yet know when it will be posted. And this is me
Serena Yates
Aug 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gay
This is a very cute version of the jock/nerd story, with a solitary and withdrawn nerd who is determined not to "waste time on a boyfriend", and a jock who is fed up with being Mr. Popular all the time and never being on his own, not to mention his question whether "jockdom" is actually for him. Add to that the fact the nerd is into cryptology, and the fun can most definitely begin.

Brandon plays baseball, has a scholarship on that basis, but he isn’t the typical "dumb jock". He's pretty good at
Cindi
Full review can be found at On Top Down Under Book Reviews and at On Top Down Under's sister Young Adult site Greedy Bug Book Reviews.

I am a big fan of this author so I was eager to jump into Deep In The Count. It did not disappoint. Brandon is an openly gay jock (shocking, I know) and he falls for Corey, his friend's nerd roommate. Corey has his life planned out for him. Brandon, not so much. Once they meet, Brandon goes to great lengths to win Corey over. The way this is done is very unique
Rissa (an M/M kinda Girl!!)
Sep 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Rissa (an M/M kinda Girl!!) by: Heather
Shelves: m-m, read-m-m
HOMERUN!!

This is definitely in the top 3 of my favorite LHNB stories and it's probably even in my top 5 of favorite jock/nerd type stories!

I was thrilled that Corey wasn't your typical nerd..yes he was into numbers, cyrptos and rubix cubes but he was confident (mostly). Brandon was more the shy and unsure guy and I found that very sexy for the baseball jock.

There study session was way steamy, the messages were a fabulous idea and although they weren't sweet the idea was uber sweet, the 'quiz'
Gigi
Aug 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm-baseball
This is a big-fun-feel-good-collage-aged-M-M-love-fest and I loved every minute! Recommended!
Madison Parker
For more behind-the-scenes goodies, including character interviews and exclusive background info, please visit the Love Has No Boundaries Dear Author Post.

Photo prompts:

Amy
Jun 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! Very sweet story about Brandon, baseball playing jock with a big heart, and Corey, the sexy and self confident geek. I love that it’s Brandon that actually pursues Corey! I also love that Brandon’s guilty pleasure is reading nerd/jock romances :) And those “that’s what she said” jokes, OMG hysterical!! 5 STARS!
Pjm12
This is what Madison Parker does best - young, hopeful boys happy in themselves. The prompt is great, and her response to it is everything a reader would want.

Loved Brandon's cryptic courting, and Corey's subsequent sexy striptease. The two best friends, Jack and Samantha are both encouraging and teasing fun.

Terrific stuff.

Justin
Jun 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
5 stars!
This is a definite HOME RUN!! I've been anxiously awaiting the release of this story for weeks and boy was it worth the wait. Sweet & romantic jock/geek story with a smoking hot dorm room scene....need I say more.
Thank you Ms. Parker for participating in LHNB.
Karl
Oct 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Rounded up as it was an amazing free read for LHNB. I haven't decoded the last message yet (lazy, I know!) but all the cryptography included in this story added another dimension to this sweet romance- so wonderfully geeky! Thank you Madison Parker for contributing to LHNB!
Alona
Dec 12, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m, short
It was cute!
The first half was a bit slow (yes, I know, it's a short, how slow can half of a shortie be?? But... I was a bit bored)
The second half was sweet and lovely!
Nina
It's not a bad story at all - actually, it's quite sweet and enjoyable - but the hype had led me to expect something more witty and original.

This will never be a shining beacon of creativity, but I can appreciate the - personality reversal, is that it? - between the jock and the nerd: the brawny baseball player is actually sweet and insecure, while the nerd is confident and likes to tease. The problem is that once the author chose the MCs' personalities they came out too black and white, and the
Jo
I have always been and huge puzzle geek and then add two of my other favorite things, free and cute guys and

description

itwasahomerun
Sorry had to get that out. laughing to self

I love the twist of having Brandon, the hot jock, be crush awkward and chase after Corey the math nerd. So cute. I was scrambling for scratch paper and pen at 4 in the morning when I was reading. Always fun when a books peaks outside interests in subject matter.
Ann
A great story and a bonus puzzle, what's not to love? This was a unique and fun story. I loved the twist on the jock/geek stereotype that can be so predictable. Corey was confident without being cocky and Brandon has a truly sweet romantic heart. Very well done.
rameau
This came as close to perfection as I've seen a short story get in a long while. The plot and characterisations where there as were some of the details. I would've liked a bit more description, which I don't say often.
dbbks3
Jul 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Loved the role reversal of confident geek and insecure jock. Many smiles in this one. The use codes and the cube were creative. I love baseball stories. Too short as usual for these wonderful stories. I want more. "That's what she said."
Tami
Jun 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Feel good romance between jock and geek.

And in a very nice way. No drama, no angst.
And what I loved especially: no confidence issues for the geek.

Two very likable main characters, a nice set of secondaries and a sweet and enjoyable story.
Mercedes
Jun 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mm-romance
This story was totally adorable!
Jamie Deacon
Aug 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
We’re all familiar by now with the traditional nerd/jock romance, where the shy nerd falls for the handsome jock, and, despite the rift in their social status, succeeds in winning his heart. It’s a much-loved format, and one I admit to having rather a soft spot for. Yet, in this sweetly sensual novella written for the Goodreads M/M Romance Group’s Love Has No Boundaries event, Madison Parker has flipped this formula on its head in a way I found to be both original and incredibly refreshing.

In

• Five Dares
  • The Biggest Scoop
  • Punch-Drunk Love
  • Silent
  • Blame It on the Mistletoe (Blame It on the Mistletoe, #1)
  • Reading the Signs
  • Tonight
  • Gideon (Finding Home, #3)
  • Love Lessons (Love Lessons, #1)
  • Rule Breaker (Mixed Messages, #1)
  • Straight Men Can't Cook
  • Best Love
  • Want Me (Extracurricular Activities, #1-7)
Madison Parker grew up in Germany where she feasted on Gummibärchen, wandered through the woods on many a Volksmarch, and dreamed of one day living in a castle on a mountain with a boy who knew how to rock a pair of lederhosen. The Fates had other plans for her, but she’s not complaining.

Madison began writing LGBTQ fiction to help address issues of bullying and low self-esteem in young adults.