Start by marking “Smile and Say Murder (Nancy Drew Files, #4)” as Want to Read:
Smile and Say Murder (Nancy Drew Files, #4)

Smile and Say Murder

(Nancy Drew Files #4)

In the glitzy world of magazine publishing Nancy Drew searches for a ruthless killer. A series of death treats send Nancy undercover at Flash, the country's top teen magazine. The target is Yvonne Verdi, co-owner of Flash and wonder-girl of the magazine world.
Published December 31st 1998 by Armada (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Smile and Say Murder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Smile and Say Murder

Start your review of Smile and Say Murder (Nancy Drew Files, #4)
Kelly
This installment in the series was a letdown.
1) Nancy and Ned - what?? (view spoiler)
2) The whole concept of the teen magazine as a crime setting could have been great and very 90s, but the problems between Ned and Nancy really interfered with the
3 Stars
Leah
Feb 18, 2010 rated it liked it
I love the 80s description of clothes. Not one of my ultimate favorites because of Nancy's attitude toward Ned and how easily the case is to be solved.
Ari
Sep 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
I absolutely loved it! A much more modern spin on the classic detective, with just the right hint of romance, danger and intrigue! Ive already started looking up the rest of this series! Nancy gets hired to figure out whose writing threatening letters to the magazine owner, but get a lot more than she bargained for, including a bout of jealousy!
Morgan
Shelves: 2019-reads
3.5 STARS
Stacey Goans
Feb 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
I came across 2 old Nancy Drew books at a book sale and I had to snatch them up. I spent some time this afternoon with the girl detective, and it was just as much fun now as it was when I was in middle school (even if they didn't call it middle school back then). The stories hold up, although there was a line about a store not taking an out of town check that made me giggle...that, and cameras with actual film (gasp!). Definitely worth the time today.
Michelle
Nov 17, 2014 rated it did not like it
Whew! What a load of relationship drama in here. Nancy was called by Yvonne Verdi who co-owned top teen magazine after she received a series of death threats. Nancy went undercover and got Ned to help her as well. Dangers surrounded their investigations and a couple of near deaths experiences to both Verdi and her partner, Mick. Despite the exciting description, this book seemed to focus more on the angst and drama of Ned and Nancy’s rocky relationship. Nancy seemed clumsy and stupid in here by ...more
Jerry
Jul 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
A Quickie Review

Much like a reliable TV series, the Nancy Drew Files books deliver the goods again and again. If you've read one and didn't like it, you probably won't like the others...but, for fans like me, this is a treat. It's decidedly different than the original series, but still good fun nonetheless.

Content Concerns:

Frightening/Intens
Cassie
Jan 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This was a totally exciting and suspensful book! I loved it and recommend it to everyone reading this review.(especially girls because it has some relationship stuff between Nancy and her boyfriend.)
Julie_ian_curtis
the effort i went to in order to download this is worth 5 stars
Beth Wemple
Oct 14, 2016 rated it liked it
Omg, Nancy thinks her boyfriend of what, seventy some years, Ned Nickerson, is cheating on her. I'm pretty sure she's just pms-ing though.
Pam
Mar 31, 2020 rated it liked it
AUTHOR Keene, Carolyn
TITLE Smile and Say Murder
DATE READ 03/30/20
RATING 3.5/C+
FIRST SENTENCE Nancy Drew sank back into the cushioned seat of the commuter train that traveled between River Heights and Chicago and pulled a glossy new magazine out of her shoulder bag.
GENRE/ PUB DATE/PUBLISHER / # OF YA Mystery/1986/Simon & Shuster/137 pgs
SERIES/STAND-ALONE #4 Nancy Drew Files
CHALLENGE Good Reads 2020 Reading Goal 50/120;
GROUP READ ND
TIME/PLACE 1980's/IL
CHARACTERS Nancy Drew /girl detective and
Jamie (TheRebelliousReader)
2 stars. My least favorite in the series so far. This one was hard to read just because Nancy and Ned were both being such unlikable jackasses. Their relationship mess overshadowed the case which was annoying. Nancy had all of her damn nerve seeing as how she had that thing with that guy in the first book. Not to say that Ned was right for flirting (and kissing! wtf????) Sondra because he was trash af for that but she was ready to risk it all for ol' boy in the first book so she had no room to t ...more
Nadezna
May 31, 2017 rated it liked it
half of the book was all about Ned and Nancy's fight hahahaha
Shannon
Mar 30, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Nancy treated Ned like crap in this one and the book made it seem like it wasn't that big of a deal and it was partly his fault.
Rod
May 16, 2020 rated it liked it
Pleasant trip down memory lane (but somewhat predictable end)
Aishwarya
May 24, 2020 rated it liked it
3.5 stars.
Sarah Crawford
Jan 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is the fourth book in the Nancy Drew Files series. The story is about a magazine named Flash. One of the co-owners asks Nancy for help as she thinks the other co-owner, Mick, is trying to kill her. Nancy becomes an intern at the place and quickly finds out that almost all the workers there hate Yvonne, the person who asked Nancy for help.

Nancy is suspicious of David, a person who is being paid by a group that wants to buy out the magazine (another example of corporate greed at work). Ned e
Bookish Indulgenges with b00k r3vi3ws
I read Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys throughout my school and college days.
Nancy Drew is an amateur detective who solves crimes with occasional help from her best friends, Bess and George and, her boyfriend Ned. She also has occasional help from her father Carson Drew who runs a private law practice. From finding stolen goods to missing persons and solving mysterious happenings, Nancy is a force of nature.
Until I discovered that Carolyn Keene is a pen name for a whole bunch of ghostwriters, I used t
Maia
Apr 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book is very mysterious and you always think you have solved the mystery but then something crazy happens. I love Nancy’s writing because she leaves cliffhangers everywhere and then at the end she solves the mystery and the answer is the opposite of what you think it is. She is a smart thinker and an excellent writer. Each book that she writes is a new story and brand new ending. The book does not make up lame endings for each book because she thinks of amazing endings each time. These boo ...more
Kevin
Sep 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was the first book in the Nancy Drew Files series that I read back in 1986. I remember it for mentioning the Hardy Boys as a series of books about a year and a half before Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys began teaming up regularly in a series of SuperMysteries set in the same continuity as the Nancy Drew Files and Hardy Boys Casefiles.
Lenni Jones
Sep 23, 2016 rated it liked it
I've gotta say, this isn't the most puzzling Nancy Drew I've read. I figured out who had done it way before the end. And does someone's romance have to be messed up in every one of these books? I guess they're more for people who are big on romance and okay with mysteries. I gave this a 3.5 in my reading journal.
Nat
Nov 22, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: incomplete
I couldn't read all of this one either. I spent a good amount of dough collecting this series on Ebay, and it kind of stinks thus far.

This one had a lot of promise, but it fell flatter than a hotcake in the middle. Nancy was so annoying and paranoid with Ned.
Amy
Jun 07, 2014 rated it liked it
I used to love Nancy Drew as a kid. It was one of the main series that made me into such an avid reader; however, reading them as a more sophisticated and educated young adult now, I was not blown away.
Terah
May 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This book was my favorite when I was a kid. It was the one I picked whenever someone whould ask me when my favorite book was. To this day I still love Nancy.
Meaghan
Dec 03, 2008 rated it really liked it
--The very first Nancy Drew book I ever read... Ah, the memories.
Megan
Apr 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing
It is a really good mystery I recommend all the Nancy Drew books!
Marts  (Thinker)
Jun 25, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: nancy-drew-books
A killer, a teen magazine.... Another great Nancy Drew files mystery
Ingrid
Apr 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing
you will have a blast reading this spectacular book smile and say murder. nancy drew uncovers the threats a young designer expexts her to but there is only one suspect although it doesn't add up...

• Ghostbusters Movie Novelization
  • Brave: The Junior Novelization
  • Dead in Bed (Sweetfern Harbor #2)
  • Captain Dead Man (Sweetfern Harbor #3)
  • Posies and Poison (Sweetfern Harbor #1)
  • Diary of a Wimpy Vampire (Wimpy Vampire, #1)
  • The Jester
  • Casket For Sale: Only Used Once
  • Inspector Flytrap
  • Inspector Flytrap in The President's Mane Is Missing
  • The Terrible Two Get Worse (The Terrible Two, #2)
  • Inspector Flytrap in the Goat Who Chewed Too Much
  • I Have a Bad Feeling about This
  • Judy Moody was in a Mood. Not a Good Mood. A Bad Mood. (Judy Moody #1)
  • The Greatest Zombie Movie Ever
  • The Mummy
  • All Mixed Up
  • Despicable Me: The Junior Novel

Edna and Harriet Stratemeyer inherited the company from their father Edward Str

Nancy Drew Files (1 - 10 of 124 books)
  • Secrets Can Kill (Nancy Drew Files, #1)
  • Deadly Intent (The Nancy Drew Files, #2)
  • Murder On Ice (Nancy Drew Files, #3)
  • Hit and Run Holiday (Nancy Drew Files, #5)
  • White Water Terror (Nancy Drew Files, #6)
  • Deadly Doubles (Nancy Drew Files, #7)
  • Two Points to Murder (Nancy Drew Files, #8)
  • False Moves (Nancy Drew Files, #9)
  • Buried Secrets (The Nancy Drew Files, #10)
  • Heart of Danger (Nancy Drew Files, #11)