Start by marking “Forging Zero (The Legend of ZERO, #1)” as Want to Read:
Forging Zero (The Legend of ZERO, #1)

Forging Zero

(The Legend of ZERO #1)

The Legend of ZERO begins the epic journey of 14-year-old Joe Dobbs in a post-apocalyptic universe following a massive alien invasion of Earth. The oldest of the children drafted from humanity’s devastated planet, Joe is impressed into service by the alien Congressional Ground Force—and becomes the unwitting centerpiece in a millennia-long alien struggle for independence. ...more
Published March 13th 2013 by Parasite Publications (first published March 12th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Forging Zero, please sign up.
Tyler Wozniak
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Justin This book is utterly insane! Its not as good as book 2 or 3 as its just a prelude to the story though.
The carachters are so deep and intricate and it…more
The carachters are so deep and intricate and it has tons of humor and lots of intrigue. However it has no space battles or very much info on the ships they use. If they use a ship its to blow up a planet with a ekta bomb.
Its more ground based combat and the main characters life story and the story of his friends and congress .

This series is in my top 3. Maybe even number 1. I like space opera genre only thought(less)

Start your review of Forging Zero (The Legend of ZERO, #1)
Riley
Mar 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed reading this story very much. I found the first half to be a bit harrowing to poor Joe and the humans. After they arrived to their training planet, I felt the story got much more interesting, and from that point on, I couldn't put it down. In fact, I stayed up until 4am to finish it.

I loved the well rounded-characters, their personal growth, including their physical growth that did not match their mental growth. This was very realistic and well done. I liked that Ms. King included thei
Mark
Sep 17, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Forging Zero was the first book that I read based on the Kindle advertisement and high number of five star reviews on Amazon. I finished it and it kept me reading, but several times throughout I had the following feelings:
1) It seemed like a YA book, but was wasn't.
2) The writing was OK and character development wasn't bad, but it felt like a first novel from a promising author rather than a fully-fledged work.
3) The science fiction element was lacking in internal consistency in a way that left
Hannah
Feb 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Hannah by: Fredrik Løvik
Fred recommended this to me, after going around explaining to me why furglings are worse than furgs - which told me he was really into it. I finally got around it to it - and now I'm going around calling things jenfurglings. The scary bit is that it sounds perfectly normal.

I'll be the first to admit - I love to champion character writers (finally! another author who admits that their characters hijack the book!) and small publishers. It was a pleasure to read a well written and well edited book
Sherwood Smith
Another youngsters in jeopardy, though this is children 5-12, except for 14 year old Joe. They are given hormonal treatments to make their bodies grow for the aliens who invaded earth and took the kids to serve in the army of Congress, which has thousands of species. (But the one that deals with the humans seems to have gender binary.)

Too much brutality to kids, one-dimensional characters, and uneven writing (imaginative bits alternating with overused plot points) and prophesies that foretell ou
Kim B
Mar 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
With all the political strife out there right now in real Earth time, this hits on what it means to be human; what we fight for, live for and die for. It contains rich, character driven plots, prophecies, and has enough twists and turns like a great mystery novel. Nothing is predictable. “The Legend of Zero” held me captive to the events, emotions and possibilities that unfold from the very first page, everything wanted when I read a really great book, here’s why.
Usually science fiction books ta
Ed Morawski
This is one wow of a book. Not only is it 575 pages, but it is unique in almost every way. It's an alien invasion tale, but most of the action happens away from earth. It has dozens of fascinating characters - including the aliens. The main characters are children, but it is in no way a children's or a young adult book (in fact I wouldn't let anyone under 16 read it). It is extremely well written as the author invents an complete alien world including the most minor details and language.

For a lo
Tawnya Raab
I didn't want to like this book, I didn't even want to get that deep into it. As soon as I saw that children were being used in the storyline I balked and tried to make myself put it down but the nagging thoughts of what if, would my child survive in that setting and I would so want my child to be like him made me keep going. To me this book was an Orson Scott Card meets Larry Niven or Isaac Asimov. It had me on the edge of my seat the entire time, sometimes laughing other times crying and lots ...more
Jack
Jul 10, 2014 rated it did not like it
When I read the little thing that the author wrote about her writing, I was honestly touched--- No, really I was touched. Even now I would be touched...

Joe Dobbs, an ordinary boy who will be forged from hero to soldier zero!!! This unassuming boy who has a prophecy foretold before even humans could make fire!!! Amazing! See him picking up fights with his saviors! Watch him back down and cower when he meets anyone with an edge over him, and in general, cower when he can't bully people into submis
Fabi

Liam Owen did such a fantastic job narrating this one.

I just spent close to 19 hours listening to this incredible story. The whole time cringing and flinching from the gruesomeness and visciousness of the details.

This is not a YA novel

The characters are human children and alien species (monsters). However, do not mistake this for a YA novel. In no way does this read as YA. It is harsh. It is brutal. It is honest and it is emotionally draining.

I lived each of Joe's trials. I fretted over
Stacey Thomas
Mar 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
OMG!! Why do all the good books keep you up all night?? I have to force myself to stop around 1 or 2 am just so I can get some sleep!

Zero is a wonderful book full of wonderful characters and amazing places. What does go on in Sara King's mind?? (kinda scary?!?!?) The ship, the planet, the ferlii and its spores - a vivid picture of what could be out there.

The characters are well written and believable. The story is gripping, intriguing, dark, funny, sad - the list goes on and on. Only a good (GRE
Gene J Franzen
Aug 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
An extremely talented writer

An extremely talented writer

This is my first book review despite being an avid reader. I had to chime in and thank the many other positive reviews that convinced me to try this author out because she is absolutely well worth it. This has been one of the most enjoyable books I've read in a long time and I'm very much looking forward to reading more in the series. Just keep in mind it is a war story so get ready to lose some characters you really will fall in love with.
Sue "DavinciKittie" Brown-Moore
Mar 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sara-king, scifi
Falling Skies meets Ender's Game, The Legend of Zero is a coming-of-age story in a hostile alien landscape, where every alliance is critical and every mistake might be your last. It is an immersive whirlwind journey through youth, war, political intrigue, the resilient human psyche, and the fragile yet immutable bonds of friendship. It is breathtaking and beautiful, brutal and unforgiving, and I didn't want it to end. I can't wait for the next chapter in this amazing series.
D
May 02, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: scifi-fantasy
Didn't really care for it.

The story is very one-dimensional. The characters have potential, but the plot is too thin to give them much to do.

The so-called superior alien race are really just a bunch of bullies with the emotional maturity of 13 year old's. Their simplistic motives get repetitive and boring. And the brutality is, at times, gratuitous. The inconsistency between this race's supposed superiority and their juvenile behavior is just too much to ignore. And this is just one aspect of
Diane
Dec 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
4.5

It's been a few days and I'm still thinking about this book. This book was phenomenal. It kind of left me speechless. I decided to wait until after I listened to Ender's Game before I commented on this. The two don't even compare. This one was much more brutal and compelling.

Aliens show up and demand 98% of all children ages 5-12 be given to them to form a human division of their congressional army. Joe (aged 14) is taken when he sets his brother and several hundred other kids free before th
Joan
I'm not going to rate this book simply because I don't know whether to give it one star or five! Fast-paced, action-packed, gratuitous violence, aliens, dragons, torture, .... this is not a book for the faint of heart, but the writing is good and the characters believable. I loved the way the author slips in details without making them info-dumps, but the over-use of italics made some sections difficult to read.

I had a feeling I had read something like this before but I can't place it. There ar
Shanna Cushing
Mar 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The first few pages will draw you in. I could not put this book down, and I am so thankful that there is a second book for me to read. I loved her book Outer Bounds (Parasite Publications), and I am surprised the characters in this book are even more interesting. Sara is really good at writing about aliens, and making you see what is being written. On to the next Zero book! I can't wait!
Jenny Schwartz
Feb 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction
"Forging Zero" by Sara King. Fascinating, immersive sci-fi. An alien bootcamp that human children have to survive. Introduces a complicated world where not everything is as it seems and actions most definitely have consequences.
G.G.
Aug 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just finished reading this book and I have no idea how to rate it. In some twisted way, I loved it but the thing is I also hated it.

Let me try to explain. The violence on the children was overboard. Some of the twists were...unbelievable—among other things, congress has a strange way to train their rookies. Although I had problems with the alien language and expressions at first, for the most part the writing was great and imaginative. Towards the end, I could not put the book down. I wanted
Michael Tuccillo
Dec 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book deserves more than 5 STARS!

I don't know about you, but when I find an exceptional writer in sci fi, I feel like I struck gold. Too much? Well, I challenge you to take a read and prepare to follow the greatest adventures a young men from earth can make. Well, actually, in the universe! We are introduced to a very interesting "what if". What if these totally very highly technical space aliens arrive, establish their government and takes children from their homes to serve in their army? A
Anita
Yesterday I finished Outer Bounds: Fortune's Rising (Outer Bounds, #1) by this author and was completely sold on her. It was the third book I'd read by her (I've also read the 2 Guardians of the First Realm books), and I gave all three books 5 stars. So I immediately bought this book, the first in her Legend of ZERO series, but at 12% into the ebook, I couldn't take it anymore. I stopped reading and returned the book to Amazon. Why? Cruelty to children. It's a hot button for me. The set up is dy ...more
Amanda
Jun 17, 2015 rated it it was ok
can't make it through the book, characters too one dimensional, maturity level off all characters equal to that of the 14 year old main character.
Wesley Fox
Dec 30, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: science-fiction
I made it through 140 pages before surrendering to frustration. Judging by the positive reviews and strong sales, I am missing something. Forging Zero is pointlessly cruel with shoddy world-building and annoying characters. If the book was meant to be a spoof of some kind, it wasn't funny or clever. Somehow, it has found an audience out there that enjoys it.

Forging Zero tells the story of Joe, a teenager who survives a devastating alien invasion at the hands of a octopus-like race called the Oor
Ben
Feb 01, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I'm only about 25% of the way through this book, and I'm having a hard time staying interested in it. I bought this book (and audiobook version) on sale after having Amazon constantly pushing it on me. Plus it had thousands of five star reviews. I had a feeling it wasn't for me, but figured I could give it a shot for $1.99.

I should have stuck to my intuitions. This story was written squarely in the YA category (rife with emotional outbursts and lunchroom bullies). I have read all three "Hunger G
Mike Nemeth
Jun 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Sara King takes first contact through the eyes of the young. The premise of "Forging Zero" is that Congress, a conglomerate of alien races lands on Earth and makes the following demand: "Join or die. And guess what? Give us your kids so we can forge them into the fiercest fighters the universe has ever seen." The hero is Joe Dobbs, who's too old to be chosen. But he ends up rescuing his younger brother and 900 other kids and is taken as a consolation. He and the other recruits, who are all 5 to ...more
Kandie Miller
Dec 20, 2013 rated it did not like it
I can't get past the violence toward children. Maybe because I can't help but imagine my own kids in their place. Either way, it's not for me. I'm out.
Michael Pang
May 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Much like Ender's Game, but better IMO.
Sam
Feb 10, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi
Great idea but flawed execution. Great diversity of physically non-anthropomorphic aliens that somehow talk and act EXACTLY like every Hollywood version of bootcamp ever created.
M Hamed
a muddled weak ending ,too much training narrative
a solid average
unlikable
Harold
Apr 02, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book had promise but there are a few problems that pulled me out and made it worse and worse for me. The first is the length. This book doesn't need to be as long as it is. I ended up skipping most of the third arc and could figure out what was happening in the climactic battle scene in the end. There are flashbacks, needless fights, Joe being placed into situations where he has no reason to be in and being forced to confront things that don't make sense, and the government doesn't make sen ...more
Colin
Oct 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Wow, this book was a gem. I kind of hate that Amazon seems to know what books I'm going to like in all the emails it sends me, but for $2 I'm willing to overlook the shameless mind-reading efforts of theirs because Forging Zero was worth the $2 (and the $4 I'll spend on every subsequent book in the series I'm sure).

Joe Dobbs is your ordinary 14 year old boy, until the congress occupies Earth and forces the military recruitment of every child between 5 and 12. Joe, because of his unfortunate tend
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Is Forging Zero an Execellent Read or Not? 6 41 Jul 09, 2017 09:35AM
Genre Specific Re...: Amazon review guidelines 2 60 Jul 16, 2015 01:25PM

• The Ark (Children of a Dead Earth, #1)
  • Quantum Tangle (Sethran Kada, #1)
  • Emergence (Dark Tide #1)
  • Peace Force (Harriet Walsh, #1)
  • Daybreak
  • Drifters' Alliance, Book 1 (Drifters' Alliance, #1)
  • The Grid 1: Fall of Justice (The Grid Trilogy, #1)
  • Outcast Marines Boxed Set
  • Betrayal (The 1000 Revolution, #1)
  • The 28th Gate: Volume 1
  • Outlaw (Rebel Stars, #1)
  • First Contact (In Her Name: The Last War, #1)
  • Crimson Tempest (Survival Wars Book 1)
  • Fall to Earth (Pillars of Fire and Light, #1)
  • Uncommon Purpose (The Hope Island Chronicles Book 1)
  • In the Heart of Darkness (Belisarius, #2)
  • Seeing Red (Ambassador, #1)
  • Poor Man's Fight (Poor Man's Fight, #1)
After a long, twisted road, Alaskan Fury is my 15th book. The rest (aside from the first five or so ‘practice books’) spent the last 3-6 years languishing on my hard drive as I waited for some really cool editor at a big, traditional publishing house to notice me. It didn’t happen, even with a world-famous agent doing his damnedest to get my books out there.

So, because I’ve got a stubborn streak a

The Legend of ZERO (3 books)
  • Zero Recall (The Legend of ZERO, #2)
  • Zero's Return (The Legend of ZERO, #3)