Start by marking “Don't Push the Button!” as Want to Read:
Don't Push the Button!

Don't Push the Button!

There's only one rule in Larry's book: don't push the button.

(Seriously, don't even think about it!)

Okay, quick. No one is looking... push the button.

Uh, oh.
Published November 1st 2013 by Sourcebooks Jabberwocky

To ask other readers questions about Don't Push the Button!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Don't Push the Button!

Jon(athan) Nakapalau
Dec 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Don't push the button! Things happen when you do...great book for children - and maybe some of our politicians?
Sandra
Nov 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Update: At this point we have read this book many, many, many times. Countless times. We have read this book so many times I have started to change its words just for fun. I say "Hi, my name is Robert", and my youngest one yells "No! He is Larry!", because he doesn't read but of course knows every single word in this book. "There is only one rule: Don't pick your nose". "No! Don't push the button!". I would give this book 5 stars all over again...

Original review:

How not to push the big, red, tem
Storywraps
Oct 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
This fun, interactive book stars Larry, the purple monster. He is friendly, happy and completely non-threatening. He is having a meltdown because he has privy to a red button and he knows you are not to push it. He agonizes over the fact that that button is off limits...but oh he wants you to push it sooooooo badly. He tempts the reader to just give it a little tap and of course when that happens Larry's world changes. His beautiful purple turns him yellow, them gives him spots and then multipli ...more
Kathryn
May 05, 2016 rated it liked it
Cute and fun in terms of the interactive element but I'm glad it was just a library check-out and for my home library will gravitate to other titles in the genre that don't encourage doing something you're not supposed to do (though there are consequences and it could be a good springboard for discussion). I can see older kids would be "in" on it but it might send mixed messages with very young ones.
Dani ❤️ Perspective of a Writer
description
Check out more Picture book reviews @ Perspective of a Writer...

"There's only one rule in Larry's book: don't push the button. (Seriously, don't even think about it!) Even if it does look kind of nice, you must never push the button. Who knows what would happen? Okay, quick. No one is looking... push the button."

My nephew played with this book the entire week we had it... Since I knew his anticipation was building to read it we waited until it was the last book left... and boy did that pay off!!
Cheryl
Dec 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Well, it's an awful lot like Press Here, and almost as good. But that instruction is framed positively, and this negatively, so imo that one wins. (Also, I like that the other does not have a character guide, and also it does make me giggle out loud every time I 'play' it.) I do hope to find more by the author of this, though.
La Coccinelle
Nov 28, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
I got Don't Push the Button! and Don't Touch This Book! from the library at the same time, and I just read both in quick succession. I have to say, I think that this one is the weaker of the two, despite being the book that started it all.

We meet Larry, a purple monster, who introduces himself and shows us the button, which we're not supposed to push. We're not given a reason why. We're just told that we shouldn't. And what happens when someone tells you not to do something (especially when they
Sue Edwards
It starts on page one when Larry the monster warns the readers “Don’t push the button.” The warnings get stronger and stronger until Larry just can’t stand it. He has to know what happens when someone does push the button. What could possibly go wrong?

Larry has all the sass of Mo Willem’s Pigeon (Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus) and just as clearly recognizes both that sass and a few defiant tendencies in young readers. But don’t think he is just Pigeon in a monster suit. Although Larry speak
Vidya Tiru
Oct 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
My thoughts: Don’t – well of course, means ‘Do’; and ‘not push buttons’, well, not going to happen. That is exactly what this book expects from its readers – the title makes sure of it, the words tempt us, and the bright, super-cute illustrations seal the deal.

This book is temptation for the littlest readers – the cute little devil that prompts them (and even us) to do all that parents do not want us to do – I am sure looks like Larry.

I can just hear the giggles resulting from reading this book
N
Dec 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
I didn't want to like this as much as I did. There are quite a few books floating around already that are interactive. We have Press Here as well as Tap the Magic Tree. There's also the fact that Don't Push the Button! owes much credit to The Monster at the End of this Book (Sesame Street). I've never been a fan of riding the coattails as they say.

However, this is the first of the mentioned four fourth wall breaking books that I have decided that would work well with a large group of children (
Nathalie Hansen
Sep 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A cute interactive book to read!
Ethan
Jul 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
I want to give this 5 stars because this book makes me giggle and laugh. The beginning of the book is hard for me to handle because when my mom reads the word "Don't," I react with a mini-tantrum because I think I'm in trouble. Please consider a second, revised edition of the book.
Sharon Tyler
Nov 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Don't Push the Button! by Bill Cotter is an interactive picturebook schedule for release on November 1 2013. Larry is a monster, and he has only one rule; that no one press the button in the book. However, curiosity becomes too much for Larry and he urges the reader to press said button when no one is looking. Pressing the button has some unexpected consequences, which leads to more button pressing, book shacking, and all sorts of fun.

Don't Push the Button! has delightful illustrations and a fun
Coranne
Sep 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
There are few books that I am so enamored by in the children's book world that I will actually get the e-arc version (because typically e-arcs and children's books don't tend to play nicely together. I think that the reverse psychology that is used in Don't Push the Button worked so well that it got me to request this book!

Don't Push the Button follows the idea of past books like The Monster at the End of this Book, the Pigeon series, and other books that break the third wall in kids books. I lo
Samantha
Jan 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a fun and interactive children's book.

This is about curiosity and what child does not want to push a button, especially when they have been told not to? Larry the monster gets too curious and encourages the reader to push the button when no one is looking. But from pressing the button, Larry gets a shock and perhaps is a warning to all the kids who want the push the button in future....

This is a perfect story to share with children as adults enjoy it too, its full of fun, it's bright an
Karly Winters
Jun 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a really cute book that would be great for early readers. There are not too many words on the page and is highly entertained. The author did a really good job at keeping as few words as possible to a page. The colors used in the book contrast with each other creating a visually appealing picture book. Kids will be highly entertained as the book interacts with them while being able to "push the button" and seeing the consequences that follow with it. It will allow kids to not only practic ...more
Julie
Jun 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I read this to my two year old who was absolutely in riots throughout the book! Very fun and interactive! He loved seeing what would happen when he pushed the button. The illustrations and text were simple and engaging. Highly recommend to anyone with young children!
Rachel
Dec 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Forrest got this book from his grandparents for Christmas--it's been 24 hours and I think we've already read it about 24 times, so I think it's safe to say that he loves it a lot.
Emily
May 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Few books keep Aiden entertained (I know..the book lover in me is dying) but this one had him engrossed. He even shouted, "Oh no!" after pushing the button. So this one's a winner.
Jos M
Fun, if slightly derivative of Press Here, Larry the monster dares the reader to press the button and watch changes occur. It's just not as strong as Press Here's vibrant primary colours, and Press Here's metatuxtuality is so striking, making YOU the character in the book, whereas I think having an avatar figure kind of detracts from that somewhat.

In addition, I question why Larry is a male monster rather than simply non-gendered? I suspect there is meant to be a comic dissonance to his mundane
gina
Jul 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Any book that both allows and encourages my son to poke and shake it is going to come out on top of the Bedtime Favorite Reading List each night. He couldn't get enough of this book and had it memorized by the time it was returned to the library. And god help you if you forget any of the words. Poor Grandma who's eyesight and exact reading of picture book words is not exactly the best, may have gotten a good talking to about reading the book right. From the three year old LOL. Definitely recomme ...more
Rachael Terry
Nov 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Interactive (kids are prompted to touch the button illustrations)
Gina
Aug 11, 2018 rated it liked it
No plot, just various pictures depending on the participation of the child in pushing the button after being told not to push the button.
Kris
Jan 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Really fun and interactive. Some of it was lost because my son is a little rebel who started breaking the rules on the first page. 😂
Renee
Aug 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My almost three year old thought this was hilarious and I got a chuckle out of it as well.
Camille Sylvester
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So cute and engaging.
Danielle
Aug 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
I got this book personalized for my nephew with his name and picture! It's super cute and he loves it!! We have so much fun reading it!
Baby Bookworm
Nov 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: our-reviews

Hello, friends! Today, we read Don’t Push The Button! by Bill Cotter, a delightful interactive book that’s full of laughs and surprises.

There’s only one rule in Larry’s book: don’t push the button! Even though it’s a really cool-looking button. I mean, nobody’s looking, maybe you could just push the button once – uh oh! Now there’s all sorts of problems that you and Larry must solve!

This book
Katelyn Patterson
Jun 21, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: picturebook
picture book

Published 2013 (Note: Press Here by Hervé Tullet was published in 2011)

Larry the Monster has one rule: Don't push the button. But it probably won't hurt anything if you do. What will happen?!

So this is pretty much a rip off of Hervé Tullet's amazing book Press Here. But that doesn't make it any less exciting to toddlers who love how interactive it is. One thing I don't care for is that Larry kind of peer pressures the audience into pushing the button saying, "Psst! No one is looking.

• Tap the Magic Tree
  • The Monstore
  • The Snatchabook
  • Ah Ha!
  • Big Bad Bubble
  • Is Everyone Ready for Fun?
  • Quit Calling Me a Monster!
  • I Spy on the Farm
  • Fraidyzoo
  • There Are No Cats in This Book
  • Polar Bear's Underwear
  • Super Hair-o and the Barber of Doom
  • The Line
Bill Cotter is an artist who lives in Brooklyn, NY. Bill spends his time teaching art and music to children, playing live music around the city, and perfecting his ping pong skills.