Start by marking “While We Run (When We Wake, #2)” as Want to Read:
While We Run (When We Wake, #2)

While We Run (When We Wake #2)

Abdi Taalib thought he was moving to Australia for a music scholarship. But after meeting the beautiful and brazen Tegan Oglietti, his world was turned upside down. Tegan's no ordinary girl - she died in 2027, only to be frozen and brought back to life in Abdi's time, 100 years later.

Published May 27th 2014 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about While We Run, please sign up.

Eavan No, I really wouldn't recommend that. There's a bit of backstory given so you're not completely in the dark, but you miss a lot of the character…moreNo, I really wouldn't recommend that. There's a bit of backstory given so you're not completely in the dark, but you miss a lot of the character introduction. (less)

Chiara (delicate eternity)
A copy of this novel was provided by Allen and Unwin in exchange for an honest review.

While We Run was so completely different to When We Wake. For one, our protagonist is Abdi, not Tegan. And boy do I have a lot to say about this boy.

Abdi’s character voice in While We Run is possibly one of the most unique that I have ever read. He’s bordering on being an unreliable narrator, simply because he is so very unemotional. He looks at everything from a mechanical viewpoint, and is always thinking ab
Kirsti (Melbourne on my mind)
3.5 stars.

I really enjoyed When We Wake, so I was really excited to read this sequel. Especially seeing as it featured the Somalian protagonist on the cover.

Abdi is kind of a hard protagonist to like at times. He's almost clinical in the way he looks at things, totally emotionless a lot of the time. That said, he and Tegan have been through a lot since we last saw them. They're effectively slaves, controlled by the government. They're being tortured regularly, and (view spoiler)
Liviania
Jan 07, 2015 Liviania rated it it was amazing
Abdi Taalib and his best friend Tegan, who he's very much in love with, are prisoners of the Australian government. They tried to expose the government's wrongdoings when it comes to a cryogenics project, but ended up captured, tortured, and forced to publicly recant their statements and support the project.

I haven't read WHEN WE WAKE, but WHILE WE RUN contains plenty of recap. In addition, at the beginning of the novel Abdi doesn't know much about what is going on and is pretty preoccupied with
Kathleen Dixon
I read the first in this series last year or the year before, and so a lot of the plot had slipped my memory. However, there is enough given within the plot of this one that it didn't matter. And bits came back to me throughout.

This is a fast-paced teen novel set in Australia's future. Tegan is the first successful cryogenic re-awakening (killed by a sniper's bullet meant for somebody else, a hundred years ago (which is also in our future)); Abdi is a Somali student on scholarship to Australia.
TheBookSmugglers
squee I can't wait and I love this cover so much
Melissa (i swim for oceans)
May 20, 2014 Melissa (i swim for oceans) rated it really liked it
View the full review here:

When I read book one in this series, When We Wake, I remember being distinctly impressed by the crossover nature of the novel, perfectly merging science fiction and dystopia into a melting pot of drama. So, naturally, as a series this excited me even more. Author, Karen Healey, has crafted a story in which our protagonists are out of touch with the reality in which they're now forced to live, giving readers a distinct "out of body
Amanda
While We Run by Karen Healey is the sequel to When We Wake, set in a futuristic version of our world. Abdi and Tegan have been on a two-month tour, enforced by SADU handlers, Diane and Lat. If they don’t play their parts they are punished, or worse, forced to watch the other receive punishment. But things are set to change: decisions must be made and it will be up to them.

I enjoyed When We Wake last year, and reading over my notes made me remember how much. The futuristic world was well thought-
Brooke ♥booklife4life♥
Title: While We Run
Series: When We Wake #2
Author: Karen Healey
Format: Hardback, 336 pages
Rating: 4.25 stars
Recommend it to: Science Fiction fans :]

My review:
Wow. This was a perfect sequel, it flowed perfect from the first book.

This one thou is from Abdi's POV, which was awesome. I loved seeing his view on the issues and how he saw the others.

The action is this book was sick, in a good way :] there was lots of it and i loved it all.

The plot twist was nice :] and now i badly need to see how th
Alison James
Oct 01, 2014 Alison James rated it really liked it
Wow, just wow! This was amazing. The first, maybe second time where I liked the sequel better that the first. Abdi, Abdi, Abdi. He was a amazing, he was strong, and broke down which made him stronger. I actually really like this book. The heavy stuff was well woven into the plot. Great job, Healey.
And. . . thanks for the shout out for K-Drama fans. Double trouble isn't a real drama yet, right? Just for that this book has made my special shelf.
Moonbeamkrw
Sep 02, 2013 Moonbeamkrw marked it as to-read
Yay!!! I loved When We Wake:)
Steph
Feb 27, 2016 Steph rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nbhs, read-2016
A satisfying sequel to "When We Wake".
Jasmine
This is a really good book, and together with the prequel it makes an even better set. Thought provoking in the way SF is supposed to be, and ethically complex. It's a really good book.
Julianne
Sep 04, 2013 Julianne rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, sci-fi
What a refreshing shocker! The story ends in 2 books! It was very good. I'd give it 4.5 stars.
Nikki
Jan 26, 2014 Nikki rated it really liked it
This book was in Abdi's point of view, which was very cool. I love the way these books handle political events of the present and the way they could evolve in the future!
Laura Martinelli
Apr 13, 2013 Laura Martinelli rated it it was amazing
Mandiann
May 21, 2017 Mandiann rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It just felt like such a poor follow up to When We Wake. While the torture at the beginning was an interesting start to the story the middle floundered, there was little to no world building and the ending seemed anticlimactic.
Lauren Shepherd
May 05, 2017 Lauren Shepherd rated it liked it
*3.5
Sherron
May 21, 2017 Sherron rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
Nope. The series doesn't get better.
Dark Faerie Tales
Jun 10, 2014 Dark Faerie Tales rated it really liked it
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: Fast paced story full of action, romance, and mystery. I really enjoyed this and would highly recommend this to anyone looking for a great young adult sci-fi book.

Opening Sentence: They always wanted me to sing “Here Comes the Sun.”

The Review:

Abdi Taalib has spent the last 6 months as a slave to the Australian government. He left his home in Djibouti to attend a prestigious school where he had a musical scholarship. Everything was going grea
Rachel (The Rest Is Still Unwritten)
Shaheen
Sep 13, 2013 Shaheen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An accomplished sequel, While We Run continues to explore a dystopian Australia which has closed off its borders to refugees and jealously guards her wealth and good fortunes. When Tegan Oglietti woke up after being cryogenically frozen for 100 years, she thought she'd been brought back to a better world. But she uncovered a huge governmental conspiracy that she made public at the end of the last book.

While We Run is Abdi's book. He's a thoughtful, nuanced character and I loved being in his head
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
For more reviews, Cover Snark and more, visit A Reader of Fictions.

Now that I’ve finished While We Run, I’m both admiring and a bit disappointed. So far as I can tell, this is a duology, though there’s room for more in this world if Healey decided to return to these characters. As it stands, I’d rank the When We Wake series very highly among the YA dystopian novels I’ve read. They’re very focused on the plot and world building, and, perhaps more importantly, they don’t follow the traditional YA
Andrea Arbit
This book was even better than the first in the series, When We Wake. I loved getting Abdi's POV; though as a fellow white female I expected to relate more to Tegan, I actually found a lot of myself in Abdi's staunch atheism, insightful mind, and deep empathy. Furthermore, watching Abdi's reaction to Tegan being appropriated for the mouthpiece of a rebel group was (as other reviewers have noted) like getting to see Mockingjay from The Hunger Games series from Peeta's POV. In The Hunger Games, ...more
Rich in Color
Review Copy: Library/Purchased

I have to say this straight out. I LOVED THIS BOOK!! So much that I read it twice and was enthralled the second time. While We Run is just that good. The first time I read it was during summer vacation and I think I read the book in a matter of hours. I couldn’t put it down. Karen Healey’s pacing in this sequel is much better balanced with heavy hitting points mixed with quiet moments between characters that really showcase the relationships in this novel. The theme
Rochelle
Aug 08, 2014 Rochelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Seriously, this book was beyond good. I thought I loved the first one, but this somehow managed to be even more amazing than the first.
While We Run is told from Abdi’s point of view, which I wasn’t expecting. Seeing everything through his eyes made me love him (and him and Tegan together) even more.

At the end of When We Wake, Tegan and Abdi hand themselves over to the government, who had them surrounded, after broadcasting the governments secrets about the cryonics project across the world.
I was
Ellen Bleaney
Jul 22, 2014 Ellen Bleaney rated it really liked it
At the end of When We Wake, Tegan and Abdi made the choice to resist the actions of a corrupt government. When We Wake was, fundamentally, a book about standing up and taking action. While We Run , on the other hand, is a book about actions having consequences... consequences which are brutal, enduring, and far-reaching.

While We Run never shies away from the reality of its own plot. When characters are hurt, physically or mentally, there are ramifications both obvious and subtle, and healing is
Lindsay
Abdi Taalib thought he was moving to Australia for a music scholarship. But after meeting the beautiful and brazen Tegan Oglietti, his world was turned upside down. Tegan's no ordinary girl. She died in 2027, only to be frozen and brought back to life in Abdi's time, 100 years later. Now, all they want is for things to return to normal (or as normal as they can be), but the government has other ideas. Especially since the two just spilled the secrets behind Australia's cryonics project to the wo ...more
Kit Meads
Aug 17, 2015 Kit Meads rated it really liked it
INTENSE: the best word I can think of to describe this novel. Fast-paced, thrilling, and with plenty of twists and shocks, While We Run certainly lives up to its predecessor (when we wake) - even surpasses it. Filled with the same kick-ass characters as last time as well as a few questionable additions, this book is one to slide into and stay into until the bitter end.

Narrated from the perspective of "thirdie" Djiboutian singing legend/talented teenager/fugitive/propaganda-spinner Abdi, this tal
  • Deception (Pandora Jones, #2)
  • Untitled (Annex, #3)
  • The Disappearance of Ember Crow (The Tribe #2)
  • Chasing Before (The Memory Chronicles, #2)
  • Starbreak (Starglass, #2)
  • The Cydonian Pyramid (The Klaatu Diskos, #2)
  • Awakening (Tankborn, #2)
  • Eat the Sky, Drink the Ocean
  • Crashland (Twinmaker #2)
  • Kaleidoscope: Diverse YA Science Fiction and Fantasy Stories
  • Echoes of Us (The Hybrid Chronicles #3)
  • Flame (Sky Chasers, #3)
  • Borderlands (Chasing the Valley #2)
  • Chorus (Coda #2)
  • Unravel (Linked, #2)
  • Baygirl
  • Earth Flight (Earth Girl, #3)
  • Inheritance (Adaptation #2)
Karen Healey writes books about tough girls with brains and interesting boys with secrets. She likes nail art, superheroes, and musical soundtracks. She technically lives in New Zealand, but really lives on the Internet.
More about Karen Healey...

When We Wake (2 books)
  • When We Wake (When We Wake, #1)