Start by marking “A/B Testing: The Most Powerful Way to Turn Clicks Into Customers” as Want to Read:
A/B Testing: The Most Powerful Way to Turn Clicks Into Customers

A/B Testing: The Most Powerful Way to Turn Clicks Into Customers

How Your Business Can Use the Science That Helped Win the White House

"Dan and Pete are changing the way business is done and decisions are made. By pulling together concrete examples of how A/B testing has made an impact, they are inspiring a new generation of companies to make thoughtful, data-driven decisions. Their new book is smart, valuable, and proves just how indisp
Published August 19th 2013 by John Wiley & Sons (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about A/B Testing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A/B Testing

Start your review of A/B Testing: The Most Powerful Way to Turn Clicks Into Customers
Stephanie Sun
May 08, 2014 rated it liked it
In the intro to Lean Analytics, the authors admitted that they had difficulty convincing any startups to disclose their experiences as case studies for that book.

This book has the case studies (Obama 2008, Clinton-Bush Haiti, ABC Family, Lumosity, Formstack, Wikipedia, Cost Plus World Market, IGN, Etsy, and more) and is also better written and full of a lot more practical advice (including how to sell A/B testing within your organization), despite being a much shorter and faster read.

Highly rec
Ricky
Aug 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Unlike the few other business books I have read in my life this isn't just one chapter repeated over and over with a few simple word changes. The book actually does a great job helping people understand what A/B and multivariate testing are then moves on to explain the value proposition and provides valuable advice about how to get started and what to test.

I may be biased because I work at Optimizely, but I would be thrilled if all of our clients read this book before they started testing.
Bing Wang
Aug 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is not a technical book instructing you how to do A/B testing. Instead, it is more like a career summary from an experienced professional. You may expect what A/B testing could do in various scenarios, what are the common mistakes, heart-breaking lessons and brilliant-ideas in his legendary A/B testing history. Still very insightful for a data scientist, product manger and even people who in charge of developing big strategies.
Cliff Chew
Dec 26, 2018 rated it liked it
This is a light introductory book to A/B testing. It covers some organizational concerns that beginners should take note, and also covers lightly on some of the theoretical concepts of A/B testing. It highlights many (I don't think it's all, but I don't know what I don't know) of the issues and concerns of starting and executing A/B tests in any organization, and I think overall, for the amount of time that you will require to read this book, I think it's still worth the read (This is really a r ...more
Annabel Nguyen
Jan 01, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: business
Practical and down to earth knowledge for A/B testing. However, I think this book is like a bunch of (successful) case studies which helps to highlight the importance of A/B testing (if you already knew it, well, this book is hardly valuable much).

Instead of reading this book, you can go and read lots of articles about A/B testing similar like this on internet as well. Still, a good and easy read.

Abinav
Apr 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
The art of A/B testing is mentioned in a glance at this book. For a number guy who believes numbers and data can rule the world this book reaffirms and restores faith in the process of analytics. Especially the Obama campaign and the use of A/B testing in it roused my curiosity and quenched it too.
A good read and simple read and very useful if implemented in user experience facing products.
Vicky
Jan 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
An absolute must-read for tech/internet professionals. Beginner level, but has lots of good examples, and the appendix allows you to dig deeper. List of tests and success metrics can be used as reference.
Shaw Lu
Mar 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short and concise cases.

A very good introduction to AB testing. Too much emphasis on political campaign and fundraising. Would love to see more in depth examples on how it works in big tech companies.
Michael Corley
Nov 05, 2019 rated it liked it
This book was not nearly as technical and diving into the design of the experiments as I would have hoped. It's a light read. I finished it very quickly.

It is good for getting idea's on what types of A/B tests to run, but not necessarily for getting into the detail of how to do them.
Jesse Richards
Jun 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
All business books should be written this well. Would have appreciated a bit more detail in Appendix 2.
Edaena
Aug 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great introduction to A/B testing. This booked is packed with examples and explanations. It also talks about building a test culture in an organization.
Jadwiga
Aug 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
Really basic stuff. As the stars say - it was ok. Nothing less, nothing more.
Dawid Szkiełka
Nov 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Basics . For beginners. Nice intro for A/B testing.
Alex
Oct 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed the book A/B Testing because it was to the point and a great overview of why you would want to do A/B testing, what A/B testing can tell you, and how to get started.

I work in social media and I completely understand how important testing website design is and how it can covert people into customers. This book is one that you could hand to someone who was interested in how this would work and how to get started.

I found that I liked the summations at the end of each chapter
Jenny
Mar 28, 2015 rated it liked it
This book helps people understand why A/B testing is important, but as a UX designer who already has some A/B testing knowledge, 1/3 of the book is meant for beginners as it repeats stuff I already know. However, I like the examples/case studies. It's easy to understand with the visuals and impressive stats.

Of course, a book written by the authors of Optimizely is meant to sell you the product. Thus I find the book too biased, or you can say framed. For example, in Chapter 7 - Deciding which wa
Niffer
Sep 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book through a Goodreads First Reads giveaway.

It's not often that I pick up a nonfiction book and find myself compelled to read it from the first few pages. But this book accomplished that. I was really struck by the logic of the author's thought processes and how his logic translated into practicality. I didn't agree with all of his points but overall I found this book to be a valuable read and I expect I will refer back to it in the future.
Joc Cing
Oct 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book can be read in a day or two, but i think its simple message and clear illustration of how A/B testing is supplanting web design strategies is deliberate. Definitely worth reading, you will come away with a conviction that digital marketing is undergoing democratization, no longer the cloistered playground of consultants and creative agencies.
Nadya Tsech
If you've never heard about a/b testing this is an ideal book for you.
It explains principles with lots of real-life examples
Teresa
Sep 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
I won this book free through Goodreads. I think that this is a great book for companies and businesses that need some help with marketing and needs to know how to attract customers to their business. This book gives you a step by step process on how to do it.
Taylor Troncin
Jan 01, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: pre-2016-read
I won this book through a goodreads giveaway.

I do not have a lot of business experience... But this book has opened my eyes to some of the more intricate details that I may not have ever considered ...
Tony Sheng
May 27, 2014 rated it liked it
Only for very very beginners. Read it in 30 minutes. The cases are fun but nothing groundbreaking. A testament to the popularity of A/B testing, I suppose, that the book feels so obvious and dated so soon after publication.
deleted d
Jan 18, 2015 rated it liked it
Very good advice, one that in my business I try to do every 3 days. Split testing can make a ton of difference and looking back I regret I didn’t know of it in my previous 2 businesses. If you have visitors to a product, online or not, A/B testing is a concept you must use!
Maria-Paula
Sep 06, 2013 rated it liked it
I learned some interesting things as I was reading the book. I would definitely recommend to anyone marketing online for their business. Received as an ARC.
Emily Reeves
Oct 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This books is a great 101 for those just starting to A/B test components of website design. I highly recommend it.
Hrag Saatjian
Mar 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: am-training
Not a bad book at all. I enjoyed it and learned some new things about A/B testing.
Hannah
Jan 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Excellent introduction to the concept with concrete examples.
Abhinethra
Feb 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
It is an awesome book for the starters in A/B testing
Ji
Apr 29, 2015 added it
Shelves: technical
Well written on the topic of A/B testing from the what, the why, to the how.
Edgard Kozlowski
Dec 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A book that every designer and people who works with online products should read! =)
Ugljesa Eric
Apr 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting book for people who are new to A/B testing. For ones who are more experienced, nothing special, but few reminders that can refresh your knowledge.

• Brain Rules: 12 Principles for Surviving and Thriving at Work, Home, and School
  • Effective Speaking
  • Effective Writing: Improving Scientific, Technical and Business Communication
  • 100 Things Every Designer Needs to Know about People
  • Nice Girls Don't Get the Corner Office: 101 Unconscious Mistakes Women Make That Sabotage Their Careers
  • Trustworthy Online Controlled Experiments: A Practical Guide to A/B Testing
  • You Should Test That: Conversion Optimization for More Leads, Sales and Profit or the Art and Science of Optimized Marketing
  • The Man Who Solved the Market: How Jim Simons Launched the Quant Revolution
  • AI Superpowers: China, Silicon Valley, and the New World Order
  • Range: Why Generalists Triumph in a Specialized World
  • Test-Driven Development: By Example
  • Don't Make Me Think, Revisited: A Common Sense Approach to Web Usability
  • Crushing It!: How Great Entrepreneurs Build Their Business and Influence—and How You Can, Too
  • Flash Boys: A Wall Street Revolt
  • Secrets of Power Negotiating: Inside Secrets from a Master Negotiator
  • Scrum: The Art of Doing Twice the Work in Half the Time
  • Indistractable: How to Control Your Attention and Choose Your Life
  • 13 Things Mentally Strong People Don't Do: Take Back Your Power, Embrace Change, Face Your Fears, and Train Your Brain for Happiness and Success

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Dan the CEO and co-founder of Optimizely. The original inspiration for Optimizely came from his experience as the Director of Analytics on the Obama 2008 campaign. Prior to Optimizely, Dan served as Product Manager for Google Chrome and AdWords. Dan has extensive experience speaking about the benefits of A/B testing including guest lectures at Stanford and Berkeley business schools and keynotes at ...more

News & Interviews

“A mistake that some companies make is to start moving a bunch of levers around without clear planning upfront for what they're trying to optimize—and what will be impacted by those changes.” 0 likes
“Incrementalism can lead to local maxima. Be willing to explore to find the big wins before testing smaller changes and tweaks. Conversely, sometimes it's the incremental refinements that prove or disprove your hypotheses about what your users respond to. Use the insights from small tests to guide and inform your thinking about bigger changes. Consider entirely new alternative approaches to your principal business goals. Be willing to go beyond just testing “variations on a theme”—you might be surprised. If you're working on a major site redesign or overhaul, don't wait until the new design is live to A/B test it. A/B test the redesign itself.” 0 likes