Start by marking “Torch in the Forest” as Want to Read:
Torch in the Forest

Torch in the Forest

Eighteen-year-old widow Eleanor of Strathcombe is stunned to realize she has a powerful attraction to Hugh of Wykeham, the arrogant, neighboring lord returned from the Crusade. But he wants to marry her sister, and when he learns that poachers are running rampant he blames her and feuds with her over the control of their forest boundaries.

As she struggles to keep control o
Published February 16th 2013 by Entangled Publishing, LLC

To ask other readers questions about Torch in the Forest, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Torch in the Forest

Angie
Mar 21, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: adult, read-2019
+Medieval Romance! I don't read a lot from this time period, so it's always interesting when I do. For instance, Eleanor is considered an old maid at 18! Crazy!
+Eleanor is feisty! She is no wilting flower who needs a man to take care of her and her lands!

-Boring.
-Hugh keeps repeating the same few thoughts over and over and over and over and over...mostly about how Eleanor is obviously sleeping with every man in her employ, because that's what women do.
-I solved the mystery as soon as
Jess the Romanceaholic
Ehh... I don't really mind the lack of steam (okay, maybe a little, but not so much that it affected the final rating), but as much as I enjoy enemies to lovers, it felt like Hugh went from being a total jerk who didn't even LIKE the heroine (though he certainly seemed to feel attracted to her), to being in love with her all of a sudden.

Maybe it was the chaste rating, but there never really felt like there was any true chemistry between them. We're told that she has somewhat naughty dreams of h
I was intrigued by the premise of this story:
Eleanor is a young widow who is content with her life. She takes good care of her people and lands. She even is able to watch over her younger innocent sister. Her husband was a mean spirited, arrogant man who she does not miss. Her neighbor basically accuses her of not doing a good job tending to her portion of the forest. He is sure it is because she is incapable of doing her duty. Poachers are threatening his part of the forest & he is sure it
Susan Bien
Aug 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Page turning historical romance novel.

Marcie Kremer you are amazing! I just finished Torch In The Forest last night, and I really, really loved it. It has all the elements of a great book, love, intrigue, romance, a beautiful young female protagonist and a page turning plot. (This was the first romance novel that I have read – and to be honest I was not sure what to expect). The heroine, Lady Eleanor, really brought the novel to life. It was so fascinating to see life, during medieval times, thr
Meradeth Houston
May 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The book was a quick, fun read, with lots of fun historical details and a plot that kept me turning the pages. I really liked Eleanor and her steadfast character. Hugh ticked me off from time to time, but that was actually what he was supposed to do :) I loved getting a peak into the Middle Ages and how the forest and castles were tended, especially the role of women (for better or worse) at this time. It was a fun read, and by the end I was cheering for Hugh and Eleanor!
Madison Vessels
Feb 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: own
I love the historical writing and how light and easy it was to read. The characters, on the other hand, were a bit more of a miss for me. Both were exceptionally too stubborn to the point where they were irrational. . Hugh's love for Eleanor seems to just materialize out of no where when for the majority of the novel it seems like the only interest he has in her is an attraction. .other than that he is an ass. . the book was decent and I was entertained by it but once again, Im not a huge fan of ...more
Susan Sackett
Nothing to get excited about

Very simple plot with no surprises. It was a very quick read. I will not be reading the other books in this group.
Anne Bradford
No Romance...physical or otherwise

While the author writes an interesting story, the romance was omitted. Needs a sword fight or two! Some more excitement or two.

Shauni
In Marcie Kremer's Torch in the Forest we find a story about greed, politics, passion, loyalty and basic human nature. Set in Medieval Times (King Edward Plantagenet my favorite king of this era) upon return from the crusades. Landowners have left their lands in the hands of spouses, servants and paid employees and come home sometimes major upheaval. Torch of the Forest touches on these issues as well the ones mentioned above.

When the arrogant Hugh of Wykeham returns from crusades, he discovers
Cerian
Mar 11, 2013 rated it liked it
I can't help but feel disappointed in this medieval romance by Marcie Kremer. I love romances set in the medieval era, and this book's blurb sounded very promising.

Unfortunately there were several areas that were lacking for me.
Firstly there was no real chemistry for me. Hugh and Eleanor seemed to share this intense attraction to each other, but it didn't materialize until the end of the book. It didn't feel like they should be attracted to each other at all.
Secondly, I just didn't like Hugh. At
Stormi (BMReviewsohmy)
This is my first book by Marcie Kremer and I thought it sounded like a very interesting book so I really wish I would have liked it more. Maybe it was because it was such a short read and I didn't feel every in touch with the characters, I am not sure.

The Eighteen-year-old widow Eleanor is in charge of the land after her husband died and there has been some poaching in not only her forest but the neighboring one as well. She is a fair and trusting young lady who doesn't think anything is amiss
Julie G
May 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Married at fourteen to a hideous man, many years her senior, Eleanor is already a widow at eighteen. Intelligent, strong, and beautiful, the young Countess is mistress of the lands and people of Strathcombe on behalf of her liege lord, William of Litchfield. Sadly, like her late husband, the Earl of Litchfield is a rather disgusting, lecherous man of little honor who controls her future.

The story begins as Eleanor receives a letter from her neighbor, Hugh of Wykeham, newly returned from the Crus
Debra Taylor
Feb 24, 2013 rated it liked it

Young widow Eleanor of Strathcombe is shocked that neighboring Lord, Hugh of Wykeham, blames her for the poaching in their forest. He makes it clear that he thinks she is incompetent, and far too trusting. He also wants to marry her younger sister, who he thinks he can control. But it is Eleanor that he dreams about each night. Meanwhile, Eleanor has her hands full trying to thwart the marriage plans of the conniving leige lord, while fighting her growing feelings for Hugh.
I enjoyed this story
Andrea Guy
I have to start out saying, OMG the guy on this cover looks like Simon Le Bon. I'm glad this was an ebook, or I would never have been able to finish reading it, because I'd be too busy drooling on the cover.

Beautiful as the cover is, the story needed something. It was a little too short for a medieval romance and the romance never really took off. In fact, the fact that Eleanor and Hugh got together in the end is a huge surprise, because there was no sign of affection between them throughout mos
Farrah
Mar 09, 2013 rated it did not like it
Unfortunately, I wasn't a fan of this book. I really hoped to like it, but I didn't at all.

The idea for Torch in the Forest sounded so good. I had high expectation for it. But, it didn't meet them.

Eleanor was okay. I liked that she was a strong character. But, I couldn't for the life of me figure out why she liked Hugh, who was the biggest weak point in the story. And that inability to understand her feelings for Hugh ruined her character for me.

The plot was unexciting. Not much happened. And wh
Melody  May (What I'm Reading)
Rate 3.5 Stars

Originally posted on What I'm Reading

The other day I read Torch in the Forest by Marcie Kremer. First off, this is not normally a book I would read. However, I'm always looking for new reads, especially when it comes to historical romance novels. So, today I bring to you a Medieval tale today.

The tale starts out with a very young widow, Eleanor of Strathcombe who has a lot on her plate. First instance, she has an arrogant neighbor Hugh of Wykeham, who has an issue of her managemen
Shash
Oct 19, 2015 rated it liked it
I liked this book and enjoyed reading it. The contrast between Eleanor and Hugh was stark. Trust, loyalty and honor were of utmost importance to Eleanor. Hugh trusted no one. He mistook her trust in others for naivety and believed others could easily manipulate her for their own purposes. I loved the way Eleanor stood up to Hugh and to William. Though she was bound by constraints placed on women at the time, she used her intellect and words skillfully to fight her battles. I hated the way Hugh t ...more
B Wiseman
Mar 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Marcie Kremer’s Torch in the Forest was a delight to read. I typically don’t read romance novels but this intelligently written (yet easy to follow) page turner pulled me in immediately. Protagonist Eleanor is a leading lady in every sense, especially considering the political upheaval and the unfair treatment of “the fairer sex” in this medieval romance. Kremer succeeded at creating strong realistic characters committed to honor and loyalty- not that they realized this of each other yet! Hugh, ...more
Nix Whittaker
Oct 21, 2015 rated it liked it
A young widow is struggling to keep herself free and her lands running smoothly. The men around her are arrogant and want only to use her in one way or another. A bit of a slow start and it takes a while to like the young widow as she seems way too innocent and sheltered for a widow even a young widow.
I liked Hugh straight off. Though he is a bitter, angry man it brings out the ‘I want to save him’ ridiculous that seems to be in every woman.
I could have wished for a faster pace but it was approp
Alex Sharrock
Mar 16, 2013 rated it it was ok
Reviewed for Book Chick City

Click here for full review

VERDICT:

Torch in the Forest is an accessible, well written historical romance. It is very consistent when it comes to language of the time period and even though I had mixed feelings and varying opinions throughout the novel, it still sustained me as a reader and I did enjoy it. I would recommend this if you were new to historical romance and if you wanted to get a sense of what the genre is like.
GONZA
Feb 21, 2013 rated it it was ok
Strange book that left me with mixed feelings. She is a strong heroine, but he is am A-class asshole alpha male, and most of the time he doesn't even speak. So two stars but they could have been more.

Strano libro che mi ha lasciato con sentimenti contrastanti, lei é una donna forte, ma lui é un coglione maschio alfa insopportabile, che la maggior parte del tempo grugnisce invece di parlare. Solo due stelle, ma potevano essere di piú.

THANKS TO NETGALLEY AND ENTANGLED PUBLISHING LLC FOR THE PREVIE
My Book Addiction and More MBA
TORCH IN THE FOREST by Marcie Kremer is an exciting Medieval Historical Romance set in 1272 England. A quick fun read filled with danger and romance. Follow Lady Eleanor and Lord Hugh on a journey of Medieval intrigue and passion. Simply scandalous! Fast paced and a page turner. I read it in one setting. A must for historical readers who enjoy a quick read filled with everything you could want in a romance from intrigue to passion and everything in between. Received for an honest review from the ...more
Angie
Mar 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book was interesting. Eleanor and Hugh had a chemistry and neither really liked the other. It was interesting watching these two find out about each other and realize that what they originally thought wasn't true.
Bookish Enchantment (Katherine Quirke)
Quite a good book. I got a little bored about a quarter of the way through but it did pick up. A little different from other romances and certainly a nice change. Not overly sloppy.
Haley ~ YA-Aholic
Feb 24, 2013 rated it liked it
I really liked the ending, I wish there would have been more steamy-ness between Eleanor and Hugh though! But overall I enjoyed this, it was something different then what I would normally read (:
Jen
Apr 07, 2013 rated it did not like it
Over-dramatic to the point of being too silly to enjoy.
Eric
Rebecca
Jul 31, 2018
Fran
Dec 18, 2013
Clean Romances: Clean Romance Reviews Interview; Please Stop by May 28!! 1 6 May 25, 2015 01:56PM
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 2 Feb 28, 2015 09:47AM
Growing up in Europe and seeing castles on a daily basis made me sure I wanted to live back in the Middle Ages. Since that wasn’t likely to happen, being a child of the 20th century, the next best thing I could try to do was to write about this enthralling period in history. Having studied medieval history in college, I loved doing the research about how people really lived and spoke and dreamed a ...more