Start by marking “Proxy (Avalon, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
Proxy (Avalon, #0.5)

Proxy

(Avalon 0.5)

Proxy is an action-packed introduction to a world like nothing readers have seen before, and it sets a spark to the powder keg that will explode in Mindee Arnett's sci-fi thriller Avalon.

If you need something stolen from any star system in the Confederation, you need look no further than the Shades. Jeth Seagrave and his band of teenage mercenaries have been making a name
Published December 3rd 2013 by Balzer + Bray

Justine
Dec 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017-read, novella
This is a prequel novella for the Avalon duology, and it does a decent job of introducing the set up and the main characters. I'm not sure it's completely essential, though it's sometimes hard to say in advance with prequels.
Sara Saif
The narration is lifeless. There is no excitement whatsoever.
ranne
Nov 01, 2013 marked it as to-read
Proxy is supposed to be released BEFORE Avalon but I got to read Avalon before Proxy's release. What kind of cruel joke is this? I need this now! Better yet, I NEED book 2 NOW!
Adriyanna Zimmermann
Dec 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Actual rating 4.5 stars.
Alexa
Jan 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2014
FIRST READ: January 20, 2014
SECOND READ: December 16, 2014

THOUGHTS AFTER REREAD: It's still an impressive novella! Sets the stage for the series by introducing these characters, and letting them have a little adventure.

Proxy is a seriously strong novella. As it's set a little before the events of Avalon, it works its magic when it comes to building up my curiosity and investment in the series.

Proxy introduces us to Jeth Seagrave and his legendary teenage crew. It was really cool to get a chance
Lucia
Nov 18, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, young-adult
Me había llamado la atención la sinopsis de Avalon y cuando vi esta historia corta quise ver qué tal era antes de decidir si quería leer la novela.
Entiendo que Avalon transcurre años despues que Proxy, pero me pareció un poco ridícula la idea de darle tanta responsabilidad a una tripulación de preadolescentes, además que no parecían pensar y comportarse como chicos de su edad.
Las personalidades de los personajes me parecieron demasiado cliché, y algo que especialmente me molestó es que el plan
Maranda
Feb 07, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: novellas
Proxy introduces people who you'll see in book 2 so I recommend reading this before you read Polaris.
Jan 25, 2014 rated it liked it
This was an okay story and I liked the action. I did lose interest after a while though, which is exactly what happened with the first book in this series.
Emily Leathers
I couldn't figure out why this novella was called Proxy.
Kristina Thomas
Dec 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very great addition to the series. Read it all with out taking a break. Not as good as Avalon but very well written and besides its shorter and if it was longer it would be just as good as avalon😊 I rated this book 5 stars because it is an amazing book and i love this series so far. I liked the suspense and future like aspect. The only thing i disliked is that its only 90 pages and I wish it was longer but its a great short novel for a quick read. I would recommend this book to anyone who likes ...more
Lpstabbiecat
Feb 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OK. Thinking about this, I realize I still enjoyed this, just as much as Avalon. At first I wasn't getting the same vibes I did but as the story got going, and how it ended, made me realize that this--the aspect of the world and bond between the characters--is what makes me love this world and series.
Gemini
Mar 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Ehh it was good.
Jun 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Nice prequel novella. It's been awhile since I've read sci-fi, but I am in the mood for some books set in space.
Alison Eldridge
Oct 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A quaint, quick, easy-to-read introduction to the characters and their backstories for Avalon. Not long, but chock full of the same level of action from Avalon. Pleasant prequel.
Dani
Aug 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: novella, sci-fi
A spacefaring crew of teenage thieves? An exciting universe populated by monarchies, competing crime lords, a (possibly insidious) pervasive bureaucratic organization? A conflicted thief who wants nothing more than the safety of his sister and to regain ownership of his family’s spaceship? A beautiful, yet ruthless, rival?

Ok. Yes. I want more of this, please.

Orphaned with his means of freedom leveraged over him, Jeth Seagrave finds himself leader of the Malleus Shades, a gang of thieves who do t
Kristin (Blood,Sweat and Books)
Proxy is a prequel Novella to a book called Avalon releasing early next year. In Proxy we learn a little bit about the world Jeth and his sister Lizzie live in and also what sort of work they do as members of the Shades crew.

What I liked about this Novella was how it set the world and the people within it without divulging too much about the characters in the process. For instance we learn that the Shades are compiled primarily by Teenagers and that by 20 most age out of the group. However, we d
Kimberly (Book Swoon)
Proxy is the prequel novella to Mindee Arnett's new sci-fi novel Avalon. This new space thriller is a great introduction to the the sci-fi world of Avalon and it's characters. There's plenty of action, snappy dialogue, and a pace that's warp-speed.

In Proxy we get to meet Jeth Seagrove, his younger sister Lizzie, and the rest of his crew, a group of ragtag teens with a knack for thievery, known as the Shades. These young mercenaries each have a special talent that they bring to group, and Mindee
Katherine
Aug 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
A good quick read with a nice glimpse of what's to come- or what has been if you're reading this post-Avalon as I am.
I liked getting to see them on a job again. It was fascinating seeing how Lizzie broke in with the crew, but I almost wish it had the old tech person on the job so that we could see how they worked in that circumstance. It also would have shown Jeth when he was more reckless which would have been fascinating. I really loved how it brought emotion out of Jeth though. Avalon being s
Carina Olsen
Apr 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
I wasn't sure I was going to read this short story, despite wanting to for over a year. But then I finished Polaris today. And I had to read it. I had to know more about Jeth. And the new character, Aileen. I'm glad I read this. Proxy takes place before Avalon starts, and I enjoyed reading it so much. It's exciting.

I don't want to share too much about this short story, as it isn't very long, but I really liked it. Had a few smallish issues, which is why this is a four star, but mostly I loved al
M
Dec 11, 2013 rated it it was ok
maybe I am getting the YA categorisation wrong, but really, I thought this was, even for a young audience, quite rubbish...

In fact, it only got two stars, because it doesn't hurt: style, description of characters and the overall plot are, though lame, not what I would call 'bad'. They are just boring and lame.

Yes, a YA interested audeince might read it, but really, can't we be a bit more intelligent about these things?

Also, I felt that the author didn't really know what this book wanted to be: t
Online Eccentric Librarian
Jan 10, 2015 rated it really liked it

More reviews (and no fluff) on the blog http://surrealtalvi.wordpress.com/

This short novella Proxy introduces us to the Avalon crew: Jeth, Celine, Shady, Lizzie, and Flinn. Chronologically, this takes place before the start of the novel Avalon.

Our protagonists are working for Hammer and have an assignment: steal a ruby from a royal palace. Teamed up with Jeth's former team leader, the group will encounter betrayals, set backs, and sheet bad luck. What seemed like a difficult but straightforwar
Pili
Mar 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Proxy is a prequel novella for the new science fiction series by Mindee Arnett.

In Proxy we meet all the main characters that we will be following in Avalon, the first book in the series, Jeth and the rest of the Shades. We are introduced to them and what they do for a living. We're thrown right away into the action and we get to know the characters by the way they act.

I was quite excited about Proxy cause it is an introduction to the world of Avalon and I'm happy to report that I'm already in lo
Rebecca
I'm going with the 2-star here because, according to Goodreads, 2 stars means "it was okay" and that's all this was - just okay. It's not terrible, but it's nothing special either. It's supposed to be a prequel novella to Avalon, and I think it was released before that book to give readers a "taste" of the world. Which it kind of does, but it's also not terribly interesting. I'm actually glad I read Avalon first, because if I had started with this I don't know if I would've been interested in co ...more
Melody
Jan 12, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: ebooks-read
I don't know what to think about this book. I am interested where the story is going but at the same time I wish there was more to the characters. It was just a sneak peak to what the characters are and I know there will be more developing in the noble.

I do like the relationship between the brother and sister. Also I do like the setting. The only thing it's bugging me is how young the characters are in this setting. I hoped they would be older.

I do see the whole comparison with Firefly which t
Cheryl
Jan 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Great prequel to lead off "Avalon"

I did things a bit backwards and read the novel "Avalon" before I read this prequel. I wish I had read "Proxy" first. It filled in some thin spots of the novel.

I actually enjoyed this novella a bit more than the book that follows. It is fast-paced and the momentum never ebbs. Plus there is more character development in this prequel.

But both "Proxy" and "Avalon" have fun storylines and characters I want to get to know better. I will be keeping my eyes open for th
Tina
Feb 20, 2014 rated it liked it
Arnett writes action scenes well. Having read this after the first two in the series, it was interesting to get the backstory of Trouble's interactions with the team. While I don't think you need to read this for the first book, reading this before the second will definitely enrich the story for you. It isn't badly written, and is a good intro to the team.
Rachel
Nov 05, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2013-read
It's kind of amazing how a story about a group of intergalactic teenage thieves pulling a heist at a swanky party could be so... boring.

I was extremely excited about Avalon when it was announced; I am slightly less so after reading this novella.
John Zeleznik
Dec 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Nothing overly heady here, just good, rollicking scifi fun. It felt like a episode of Firefly, which is what I think the author was going for. I'm really looking forward to Avalon and this was a nice primer.
Leslie
I absolutely loved this. The fangirl in me is happy to have a world similar to that of Firefly to escape to. It's so similar to Joss Wheadon's Firefly series. I'm so looking forward to Avalon to come out next month. That is one book I'll be buying in hardcover for sure.
Diana
Dec 22, 2014 rated it liked it
On a job to steal a priceless ruby, Jeth's sister Lizzie stows away, determined to join the crew.

This is a short but nice little story. It's a prequel, and shoes how Lizzie joins the crew. It also shows more of the normal life the crew had before the events of Avalon.
  • A Dawn Most Wicked (Something Strange and Deadly, #1.5)
  • Prophet (Struck, #0.5)
  • The First Star to Fall (For Darkness Shows the Stars, #1.5)
  • The Department of Alterations (Crewel World, #0.5)
  • Undone (Unraveling, #1.5)
  • Allies (Insignia, #1.5)
  • Going Dark (Blackout #0.5)
  • Born of Corruption (Born of Illusion, #1.5)
  • Glitter & Doom (Masque of the Red Death, #1.5)
  • Buried Above Ground
  • Valkyrie Symptoms (Valkyrie, #0.5)
  • Dress Your Marines in White (Monument 14, #0.5)
  • The Ash-Born Boy (The Near Witch, #0.5)
  • Origins: The Fire (MILA 2.0, #0.5)
  • Night of the Living Dante (Aurora Sky: Vampire Hunter, #4.5)
  • The Raid (The Eden Trilogy, #0.6)
  • Shadow (Paper Gods, #0.5)
  • The Awakening (Sapient Salvation #2)
YA Author of THE NIGHTMARE AFFAIR, a contemporary fantasy coming March 5, 2013 from Tor Teen (Macmillan) and AVALON, a YA sci-fi thriller coming Winter 2014 from Balzer+Bray (HarperCollins). Represented by the fabulous Suzie Townsend of New Leaf Literary. Addicted to jumping horses and telling tales of magic, the macabre, and outer space.

Avalon (2 books)