Start by marking “Declan's Cross (Sharpe & Donovan, #3)” as Want to Read:
Declan's Cross (Sharpe & Donovan, #3)

Declan's Cross

(Sharpe & Donovan #3)

3.88  ·  Rating details ·  985 Ratings  ·  147 Reviews
An escape to an idyllic Irish seaside village is about to turn deadly in this riveting new novel by master of romantic suspense Carla Neggers

For marine biologist Julianne Maroney, two weeks in tiny Declan's Cross on the south Irish coast is a chance to heal her broken heart. She doesn't expect to attract the attention of FBI agents Emma Sharpe and Colin Donovan, who are in
Published August 27th 2013 by Harlequin MIRA (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Declan's Cross, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Declan's Cross

Jonel Boyko
Oct 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is one of those novels that make you want to go to Ireland. Neggers’ describes the countryside so vividly and eloquently that you’re just dying to be there. You can see and feel everything that happens. Everything flows so well that you are never caught off guard, even if the storyline does take a few twists and turns. I was quite intrigued by the way that the author played with the story’s pacing to match with the current events. The pace varied throughout, along with minute changes in the ...more
Mary
Jul 13, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, netgalley
Declan's Cross is the third book in the Sharpe and Donovan series by Carla Neggers. While I haven't read the first two, I have read other books by the author in the past.

The good news is that you don't need to read the first books in the series but it might help with a little background information on the characters.

I wanted to like Declan's Cross. Set in Ireland with some mystery and some romance. Alas, it just didn't work for me. My two main issues were the details of the storyline and the p
AH
Declan's Cross by Carla Neggers was a nice, relaxing read. First, I was transported off to a very green Ireland (as I look out at the snow-covered lawn), to the fictional town of Declan's Cross where the sheep outnumber the two legged inhabitants. The story revolves around an art theft that had taken place 10 years earlier. Everyone in the story seems to be attached to this art theft to some degree. The main characters are in US law enforcement. Emma Sharpe works for the FBI where her specialty ...more
Anita
Sep 24, 2013 rated it liked it
Fair warning - you really need to read these books in order if you want the full story on these characters. Julianne was a waitress at Hurley's restaurant in Rock Point, Maine. She is a graduate student in Marine Biology on a trip to Declan's Cross, Ireland to try and heal her broken heart and decide how to live without Andy Donovan. When she arrives, she finds her ride from the airport a no show. Since Julianne doesn't know Lindsey Hargreaves well, in fact, Julianne has just met the woman, she ...more
Cardyn Brooks
Declan's Cross is written in a style that assumes every reader has a memory disorder. Aside from the gorgeous descriptions of the lush Irish countryside and village, it's mostly dialogue in which the characters rehash the same information multiple times. Emma and Colin are referred to as FBI agents on practically every page.

An odd pattern of constantly referring to most characters by their first and last names (even when Emma is thinking about her own grandfather, with whom she's very close) co
Mar 21, 2014 rated it did not like it
I really felt I had to finish listening to this audiobook, because I'd listened to the other two. But it was not enjoyable at all, apart from some descriptions of Ireland.

The pace is SO slow, and the author feels obliged to repeat things several times but in dialogues between different people - just in case we didn't quite understand the first time.

The storyline is inadequate and even unlikely, especially the link between a 10-year-old art theft and a present day "probable accidental death". I
Meg
I have been a fan of Carla Neggers' books from way back when, and after a few years' break happily jumped into this one. Unfortunately it didn't "sing" to me as I'd hoped it would. The great setting of a small seaside Irish village was a big plus for this one. A good mystery storyline was another. However, these were overshadowed by repetition, such as the gross overuse of "FBI agent", constant rehashing of the art theft stuff, and the rehashing of various relationship problems. Maybe this was a ...more
Becky Condit
Jul 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Declan’s Cross was somewhat repetitive and the book was stretched where it didn’t need to be. The mystery of the art thief is not resolved by the end, which was a bit frustrating. I liked the characters but the writing style and the plot development were not satisfying. I think another reader may enjoy it more than I did but it was a stretch for me.
Julie
Jul 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Declan's Cross by Carla Neggers is a Harlequin MIRA publication due for release in August 2013.
This is the third installment of the Donovan/Sharpe series.
Set in Ireland, Colin and Emma are still looking into a decade old art theft, while being on a vacation of sorts.
Julianne and Andy Donovan, Colin's brother, went through a bad break-up. Now, Julianne is off to Ireland to Declan's Cross as well. She was to meet up with a new friend of hers named Lindsey, a fellow marine biologist enthusiast. Bu
Jeffrey
Sep 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
In Declan's Cross, the latest Sharpe Donovan novel, Carla Neggers increases the mystery element of this romantic suspense series, when Lindsey Hargreaves, a marine biologist, disappears in this idyllic Ireland village.

Julianne Maroney has journeyed to Ireland to meet with Hargreaves and join her marine biology project and also to escape her latest misadventure in love with Colin Donovan's brother. But Hargreaves has disappeared.

Meanwhile, Emma Sharpe and Colin Donovan are in Ireland to try to re
Mina De Caro (Mina's Bookshelf)
My full 4.5 star review (REVIEW OF DECLAN'S CROSS AND A SIP OF IRISH SWEETNESS) available on MINA'S BOOKSHELF http://minadecaro.blogspot.com/2013/0...

A serial art heist, a thief on the loose, a murder mystery that had me scratching my head to the very end, a light touch of romance, and all the breathtaking beauty of an old Irish village tucked on the Celtic Sea cliffs...the visual impact of this third installment of the Sharpe & Donovan series is simply spectacular. A master of her craft, Ne
The Lit Bitch
3.5 stars.

The first thing I have to say about this novel….the author makes the assumption that you have read the other books in the series. There was a limited recap for new readers. For me, I really struggled with the first part of the book because I didn’t understand the dynamics of Emma and Colin’s relationship or any of the references to past books etc. I was a little lost, but that said the story was still engaging.

For me, not having the author fill in the gaps or at least give a little mo
Steven Walle
Jul 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Declan's Cross is a great read. Declan't Cross is a fictional town in Ireland. It is set near Artmore in the hills of Ireland. The book concerns art thieves, murderers, divers and many lovers. The plot is very stacked and fun to work out who done it.
If you look up "Declan's Cross" on youtube you will see some beautiful slides of the area of Ireland.
Enjoy and Be Blessed.
Diamond
Kimberly
Nov 24, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery
I finished the book and said," ugh, finally". I think the plot was drawn out. There was mention of an art thief throughout the book. I thought they might catch the art thief by the end, but no. I guess that's how the author gets someone to read the other books in the series. This was my first book I read in the series and I don't think I will be reading books by her in the future.
Ayny
Made it to page 160, and just could not finish. TOO repetitious and predictable. The book could be edited by a third, easily.
Dee

Finally like characters
Only took three books
Darlene
Apr 14, 2016 rated it it was ok
Too much time on the romance and too little on the mystery.
Fran
Oct 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Declan’s Cross: Carla Neggers

A chance meeting, a hidden secret, lies and two paths that cross begin the third in the Donovan/Sharp series titled Declan’s Cross. Lindsey Hargreaves and Julianne Donovan were about to start a business venture that would give Julianne the chance to use her skills as a marine biologist helping Lindsey set up her new field station in Ireland. But, there is much more to this story as we meet Colin Donovan and Emma Sharpe visiting Declan’s Cross hoping to finally uncove
Doris Mahala
Jun 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I am finding it hard to say anything about Carla's stories!
Each and every book she writes has its' own characters and characterization and eucnicue situation, criminal factors.
I love the Irish flavor she gives each book and I love the Sharpe & Donovan series with the familial flavor as well.
I will I think for ever and ever I read this author give a high star count the reason being is that I have read many of her books and have yet to find one that 'disagrees with my genre expectations'.
I hi
Mary Ladd
Nov 12, 2017 rated it it was ok
I really enjoyed the first book in this series, felt the second wasn't quite as good but would still recommend it, Declan's Cross on the other hand was so boring I had to force myself to finish it.

The first two books are mysteries with a touch of romance, this one is a slow paced romance novel with an unlikable leading man. Colin is rude, makes jokes when others are trying to be serious, keeps secrets (which is part of his job) but expects Emma and others to divulge all their secrets and basical
Loretta
Sep 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
An interesting plot. I didn't catch on to the plan. There were lots of characters in this continuing story of FBI agents and their friends. Most of the story took place in Ireland, a favorite place of mine, and in Maine. The plot involved the theft of paintings, a murder, broken relationships and a budding one. A good book to read on the plane on a long flight!
Gwyn
Nov 11, 2018 rated it liked it
I wasn't huge on this book, very mediocre. I think you do really need to read the first two in order to know what's going on (despite others in the comments section stating it could be read as a stand-alone)
Writing wasn't bad, but I just didn't give a shit about any of the characters.....
Victoria
Jun 28, 2018 rated it liked it
My 2nd Sharpe & Donovan title. Enjoyable, but not extraordinary. If I came across another one, I’d probably read it, but these are characters that will just be acquaintances, not true imaginary friends.
Liz
Jan 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
OK, I am now officially addicted to this series, each succeeding book gets better and better. Interesting dynamics between the main characters, good plots, good stories. Free e-book from the library.
Ellen
Jan 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery-thriller
Meh. The story is OK, but the writing is just so-so.
Alex Belden
Aug 26, 2017 rated it did not like it
I could not finish it :(
Barbara Lack
Jun 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love this book. Carla Negger’s writing is so descriptive that I feel as though I’m in Ireland with all the characters. Suspense and intrigue always follow Sharpe & Donovan.
Dpic
Jul 28, 2018 rated it did not like it
Not much tension, And no satisfying conclusion
Tom
May 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Interesting little knot of characters.
Marlene
Sep 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Originally published at Reading Reality

Declan’s Cross is the third book in Carla Neggers' Sharpe & Donovan series, and just like the first two books in the series, Saint's Gate and Heron's Cove, the suspense part of this romantic suspense story involves both a case from Emma’s past as a art recovery expert for her family’s firm from before she became an FBI agent and a mystery out of her grandfather’s murky past.

The case also explores more of Father Finian Bracken’s backstory in Ireland and
  • Shades of Passion (SIG, #3)
  • Nacho Figueras Presents: High Season (The Polo Season #1)
  • Berried to the Hilt (Gray Whale Inn Mystery, #4)
  • Dark Star (Rockers of Storm Crow #3)
  • Nowhere to Run: Not Without Risk / A Man to Die For
  • Connecting Strangers (Discovering Emily Series, #1)
  • Almost True Confessions: Closet Sleuth Spills All (Closet Sleuth #2)
  • Mercy (Beartooth, Montana, #5)
  • Red, White & Dead (An Izzy McNeil Mystery #3)
  • Wall-to-Wall Dead (A Do-It-Yourself Mystery, #6)
  • Dangerous Refuge
  • Summer at Castle Stone
  • Hard As Ice (Fortis, #1)
  • Secrets Lost: Secrets Remembered
  • Saving Paradise
  • The Tenth Circle (Blaine McCracken #11)
  • Witness: An Anthology
  • Some Like It in Handcuffs
Carla Neggers is the New York Times bestselling author of the Sharpe & Donovan series featuring Boston-based FBI agents Emma Sharpe and Colin Donovan, and the popular Swift River Valley series set in the small, fictional New England town of Knights Bridge. With many bestsellers to her credit, Carla loves to write now as much as she did when she climbed a tree at age eleven with a pad and pen a ...more

Sharpe & Donovan (8 books)
  • Saint's Gate (Sharpe & Donovan, #1)
  • Heron's Cove (Sharpe & Donovan, #2)
  • Harbor Island (Sharpe & Donovan, #4)
  • Keeper's Reach (Sharpe & Donovan, #5)
  • Liar's Key (Sharpe & Donovan, #6)
  • Thief's Mark (Sharpe & Donovan, #7)
  • Impostor's Lure (Sharpe & Donovan #8)