Start by marking “The Dark” as Want to Read:
The Dark

The Dark

Christy Barnett is sleeping when her aging German shepherd Molly growls into the darkness outside her bedroom. She wakes to a dim glow provided by her Kindles screen, thankful that she had fallen asleep while reading again. The power has gone out, the world outside her window is eerily dark and silent. And Molly is wary of something that waits in the hallway, hiding in the ...more
332 pages
Published February 8th 2013 (first published February 5th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Dark, please sign up.
April Taylor There is the sweet crush between the teenagers…moreThere is the sweet crush between the teenagers (less)

Start your review of The Dark
Rachel the Book Harlot
Aug 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars

This was fun in all its creepy and suspenseful goodness. In fact, the opening scene creeped me out so much that I was forced to turn all the lights on in my apartment. I mean, really, what could be more shudder inducing than (view spoiler)
Um yeah, there would be a cartoon sized, person shaped hole in my wall as I got the hell outta there.
Michaelbrent Collings
Apr 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this! A fun "popcorn" book that I'd say was the equivalent of a good summer blockbuster. If you're looking for something to change your life, this ain't it. BUT it's a heckuva lot of fun, with engaging characters and a plot that carries you along well. The baddie is enjoyable, brings good threat, and (most important sometimes) kept me coming back to it. I mean, this is a book that I actually kept sneaking back to read in odd moments, and considering that I get a huge number of ...more
Theresa
Feb 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
The first word that comes to my mind to describe this book is creepy. For a horror novel that's a good thing though. I enjoyed the ensemble of characters, with Walter being my favorite. I would have liked to see a little more development of Aaron and Stephanie, but I liked their characters and back story. The plot was dark, creepy and well thought out. The story progressed logically, and the characters had believable/realistic reactions to the chaos around them. (view spoiler) ...more
Jannah
Feb 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Once again Jason Brant knocks it outta the park. The Dark is both action packed and terrifying. I found myself emotionally connected to each and every character. I could feel their terror. I could feel their anguish. It was as if I could reach out and touch the darkness they feared. This is one I will definitely read again and again. Highly recommended.
Maureen
Jul 22, 2017 rated it liked it
So Dean Koontz and Stephen King somehow managed to conceive a love child, and he wrote this book. Early in his career, very early. It really was an interesting story, but relatively short. He doesn't have the ability to pad things out yet by another couple of hundred pages, like his dads. I did like it.
Terri Baldwin
Feb 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I was excited to get this book to beta read, and it did not disappoint! From the very beginning, I had goosebumps and was looking over my shoulder. Jason has a way of making you part of the story, as if youre following the characters around and experiencing everything they do. His characters were all unique from each other, yet they combined to make an excellent cast.

As the town was shrouded in darkness, I knew no more than the characters did. Being kept in the dark just added to my terror. The
Rosemary
Jul 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
For someone who breaks out in a sweat at the thought of going out into the dead of night, this book was really scary, but I actually found myself so engrossed in the story and tragedy unfolding that I was surprised when I got to the end without once, having to take a break.

The characters were all well thought out and their reactions to what was going on around them was exactly how I think, or hope, some of my braver friends would react - me on the other hand, I would probably hide out in a
Greg at 2 Book Lovers Reviews
When the lights go out and everyone disappears and there is not even a star in the sky, what do you do?
You keep your artificial light on and you protect it with your life. When you hear voices, familiar yet hollow voices telling you to turn out the light, what do you do?
You keep that light on.
When you see someone turn out their light, let out a blood curdling scream and you cant find them again, what do you do?
RUN FOR YOUR LIFE!!!

The best word that I can use to describe The Dark is "Kingesque"
Donna Rader
Feb 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I have always prided myself as being brave and having been raised on horror since I was a kid I felt nothing could spook me. Boy was I wrong! Jason Brant did an exceptional job with this book! I was enthralled from the first chapter and never once did I loose interest. I even went in to work 4 hours late because I couldn't put it down... If you aren't scared of the dark read this.. you will be! One character in the book was saved from "The Dark" by the light on her Kindle. I now keep mine on ...more
Sara
Feb 26, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2015
This book could have been vastly improved by providing a sense of time passed through chapter headings or people looking at their (glow in the dark/backlit) watches. Some charactors were able to walk long distances in the same about of time it took others to drive a few blocks. Most importantly, the tension at the end could have been greatly increase with a countdown of sorts. This was really distracting for me. The story was line was I interesting and timely otherwise.
Stacy
Jan 16, 2015 rated it liked it
I thought it was a good book. Great plot for a movie.
AudioBookReviewer
Sep 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
ABR's original The Dark audiobook review and many others can be found at Audiobook Reviewer.

Are you afraid of the dark?????

While Im not my sister was so we had to sleep with the lights on. She had this idea that if we turned off the light The Dark would take her ..This story by Jason Brant matches my sisters belief.

The Dark tells the stories of the three main characters and how they survive the sudden darkness that befalls their town. Christy with her dog Molly, Walter, and two teens move around
Mike
Apr 21, 2014 rated it liked it
Reminiscent of movies like Vanishing on 7th Street and Alan Wake, The Dark follows a group of people who have accidentally survived a mysterious event that results in anyone not in light of some sort to disappear.

Firstly, the book jumps right into the action and keeps things taut from there. The writing is good and the pace quick, which makes this a quick read. The characters are generally likeable and are diverse enough for the reader to distinguish them.

The story is good, but a bit formulaic
Heidi
Feb 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Have you ever been afraid of the dark, or get that creepy feeling that someone is watching you as you sleep? I believe that Christy and her companions will for a long time. During the middle of the night a darkness creeps over a town, so dark that you can not even see the stars or moon. Then you start to get that eerie feeling that someone is watching you from the shadows.
Jason Brant has unleashed the demons of hell in his newest novel. This thriller kept me on the edge of my seat from the
Carrie
Mar 14, 2013 rated it it was ok
This book could have been so much better if someone else wrote it. ANYONE else. The writing was juvenile. I felt like I was reading a book for pre teens.

That being said, the plot was very good and had it been tackled by someone else could have truly been scary. Unfortunately it wasn't and left so much to be desired. The characters sucked and lacked any depth at all. The ending was retarded and explained nothing. It was almost as if the author ran out of ideas so he just decided to end it right
Brad
Jan 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Wow what a book!
I knocked this one over in 2 days, and for me, that is fast! It really was a page turner!

I loved the horror of it, and the thoughts of the dark coming alive was spooky to say the least.

My only grievance? About half way through the book, I realized the similarity of this book to the Stephen King classic "The Mist". And once that got in my head I couldn't see past it.

So not sure if the author had read "The Mist"... sometimes we all have an idea, and then find out that someone else
Mark
May 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
If you're at all afraid of the dark you'll want to avoid this novel at all costs. It is a a brilliantly executed thriller/horror novel that starts with a bang and keeps rolling forward to an inevitably thrilling conclusion.

Brant weaves a suspenseful novel with wonderfully terrifying moments that disturb and chill. Well written and tightly executed.
Darlene
This isn't the stereotypical zombie story I was expecting. The events happened around a military experiment gone bad. Not my usual genre to read, I found this book engaging and couldn't help but keep flipping pages. All the action keeps you interested.A and, the first night I started reading it, I kept checking to make sure there was a light on.
Anthony
Feb 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved it. It has a quiet unassuming pace that deliberately draws detailed, easy to relate to characters while all the time drawing the reader in to the story. If you're a fan of the nineteen fifties sci-fi genre you'll love this twenty first century twist.

You don't want to be caught in the dark.
Laurel Heidtman
Mar 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: thriller, paranormal
Loved this book as much as I loved Jason Brant's Hunger series and that's saying something! The Dark is a truly scary story and the explanation behind what happens in it is both imaginative and believable. The characters are great--I was especially fond of Aaron. And Molly, but who doesn't love a good dog character! Read this with all the lights on!
Scott Wieczorek
Mar 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
I posted a review of this on my blog. This was a really good book. I enjoyed it highly and thought the author did a great job of advancing the plot and developing the characters. I highly recommend it.
A. Hunt
Apr 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book captured me- I read it in a day and a half! Had life not gotten in he way, I'd have finished it sooner! It was different and spooky. Brant gave an explanation without being too technical but didn't dumb it up either. A good read.
Jonathan Stark
Sep 30, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
No, this book just didn't scare me or do anything for me. The writing itself is fine but nothing really happens and the characters are a pretty much stock. An experiment goes awry at the local military base. You've heard it all before.
Mel
Mar 23, 2015 rated it liked it
I started The Dark months ago. It was actually a good read. I have no idea why I didn't pick it up in the meantime. There were scares and action. We could have learned a little more about the cause (besides the astrophysicists ramblings) and, what happened after. But, I would recommend.
Kohl MiWe
Jul 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book is amazing!!! It has a real punch to it where it just keeps you turning the page. I would highly recommend it!
Stuart
Dec 14, 2015 rated it it was ok
Started off very good, but didn't really have any point or direction to the story, a book to no where, it just ended. disappointing.
Jackie Primo
May 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
If you're not afraid of the dark you will be after reading this. Great book...can't wait to get my hands on more of his books.
Robert Wood
Aug 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Be afraid! Awesome book.
Laura Carling
May 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Holy crap! I've only read 2 chapters and they scared the hell out of me! Can't wait to finish!
Diane
Aug 25, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror
3.5

Could have been a 4 star if more explanation had been given for The Dark.

• The Rise of Magicks (Chronicles of The One, #3)
  • Kitty: A Pride and Prejudice Variation
  • My Name Is Mister Grief (Tales of the Unusual)
  • Red Eye: Season Two, Episode Three: An Armageddon Zombie Survival Thriller
  • Chase Darkness with Me: How One True-Crime Writer Started Solving Murders
  • Rise Of The Rams (Safe Haven, #1)
  • Alive for Now (The Infected Dead #1)
  • Carpet Diem
  • The Lie
  • Limited Wish (Impossible Times, #2)
  • Pride, Prejudice and Jasmin Field
  • The Picture On The Fridge
  • Survive for Now (The Infected Dead #2)
  • Capital Falling - RESURGENCE: Book 3
  • Five Roads to Texas (Five Roads to Texas, #1)
  • Red Eye: Season Two, Episode Four: An Armageddon Survival Thriller
  • After the Roads: Sidney’s Way, Volume 1 (Five Roads to Texas, #2)
  • Young Blood
"JASON BRANT" is an anagram for Bas Trojann, a former Bigfoot hunter who, after being abducted (and subsequently returned) by aliens, decided to hang up his ghillie suit and enter the world of professional arm wrestling. Despite back-to-back first place finishes in the South Dakota World International Championship League, Bas receded from athletics to invent cheese and give Al Gore the initiative ...more