Start by marking “Click, Clack, Boo!: A Tricky Treat” as Want to Read:
Click, Clack, Boo!: A Tricky Treat

Click, Clack, Boo!: A Tricky Treat

(Farmer Brown's Barnyard Tales)

Will the barnyard animals trick—or treat—Farmer Brown? Find out in this Halloween tale from the #1 New York Times bestselling creators of Click, Clack, Moo.

Farmer Brown does not like Halloween. So he draws the shades, puts on his footy pajamas, and climbs into bed.

But do you think the barnyard animals have any respect for a man in footy pajamas? No, they do not. For them,
ebook, (with audio recording), 40 pages
Published August 13th 2013 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Click, Clack, Boo!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Click, Clack, Boo!

Start your review of Click, Clack, Boo!: A Tricky Treat
Archit Ojha
Mar 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Farmer Brown's animals are absolutely ready for the Halloween Party. Farmer Brown was never interested in such activities. Barnyard animals do not care. They'll have their share of fun.

The surprise that awaits for Brown is worth reading.
Calista
I loved the book Click, Clack Moo!. It was funny and fresh. This title felt like part of that series so I had high hopes. It wasn’t funny or cute really. I didn’t care for this one. I don’t think I’ll try more in the series.

The animals put on a Halloween party while the Farmer is scared in his house in bed. It’s a weird little story in my opinion.

The nephew didn’t think it was funny either. He said this was a boring story and nothing really happens in it. He gave it 1 star.

I was disappointed.
Cheryl
Feb 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's been awhile since I enjoyed the rest of the books in this series, so I can't do a direct comparison of quality. But this reads just fine as a stand-alone, I believe. And so much fun... especially if read aloud, of course.

I do recall that some of the others were for older children, with political & economic themes.
This, otoh, is fun for pre-school, maybe even toddlers.

(I really need to be reminded of child development progression and milestones as I'm just not sure how sophisticated a
Abigail
Dec 09, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Farmer Brown's Animals / Readers Looking for Fun Halloween Picture-Books
It's Halloween, and Farmer Brown retreats to his house, frightened of everything to do with the holiday. The animals on his farm, by contrast, are having a blast at their party in the barn. The crunch-crunch-crunching of the mice, as they scurry across the field to the party; the creak-creak-creaking of the sheep, as they open the barn door; the tap-tap-tapping of the cats, as they knock for admittance - all of it keeps the good farmer up. But when he hears a knocking at his door, and then a ...more
Stephanie H (My Bookish Itinerary)
This is a fun story to read. I found it to be very cute!

We have our lovable farm animals and Farmer Brown returning to us in a fun Halloween tale.
Farmer Brown is afraid of Halloween. He does not like it. So he puts out a bowl of candy and a Do Not Disturb sign and turns in for the night. Then he hears creepy, spooky noises coming from outside. Meanwhile, the barn yard animals are having a Halloween Party in the barn. Dressed up in costumes, they are arriving (making noises) to the party.

The
babyhippoface
Farmer Brown does not like Halloween. Jack o'lanterns are creepy, witches are frightening, and the crunch, crunch, crunching of their feet on the lawn, the creak, creak, creaking of the barn door, and the tap, tap, tapping on the window make the holiday even more scary. The animals like it, though, and cook up a Halloween party in the barn.

This benign offering will satisfy young ones, but it lacks the humor of the original, Click, Clack, Moo.
Heidi
Farmer Brown does not like Halloween, so he puts a bowl of candy on the porch and goes to bed. But something seems to be happening down at the barn. When he hears someone on the porch pounding on the door, will he have to courage to investigate?

Strengths: This is a light fun read for younger children who aren't ready for more spooky stories. The text is short with plenty of sound words to read and have children mimic. And there is a slightly mysterious element to the story, who is the vampire?
Vern
Dec 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very cool. I kinda look like the farmer. Need to remember for potential Halloween costume.
Peacegal
Aug 13, 2013 rated it it was ok
Seems like a forgettable cash-in in comparison with the delightfully witty "Click, Clack Moo."
Anthony
Farmer Brown, who doesn't like Halloween, is summoned to the barn to investigate strange noises and finds a big surprise in store waiting for him.
Meg McGregor
Farmer Brown does not like Halloween; so he tucks himself in bed, pulls the covers up to his chin, and tries to sleep.

But he keeps hearing creaking, crunching, and tapping noises; so he gets up to investigates.

I am disappointed by this one though. It could have been a perfect addition to the series but it is really just a letdown.

The girls and I kept waiting for something to happen. Well, it didn't!

As my little Victoria likes to say: "This is not fun, Miss Meg!"

Victoria, you are so right! It
Katelyn
Oct 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I chose this book because there is a Jack-O-lattern on the book cover. I knew it is about Halloween. First, Farmer Brown does not like Halloween, because he feels scared. He puts candy on a porch and hides in his cover on his bed. Then he sees a black dark creature, and hears scaring sounds. The animals in the barn are having a Halloween party and have contest on whose costume is the best, who eats the most candies, and whose voice is the loudest. Farmer Brown gets out of his bed, walks onto the ...more
Jeanette Frank
Oct 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is one of my all time favorite children books. It's a classic and Doreen Cronin makes this Halloween tale fun for all ages. I teach third grade and I read this to the kids every year and they love it. We make up motions for all the onomatopoeia's that are throughout the book every year and we do them every time they come up. We also use this book to talk about Halloween and why Farmer Brown doesn't like Halloween. We come up with ideas on how to help him get over his fears on Halloween ...more
Alex  Baugh
Oct 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It’s Halloween and Farmer Brown doesn’t like it. He puts out a bowl of candy on the porch, locks up the house and puts out a “Do Not Disturb” sign, then he goes to bed. Little does he know that while the animals in his barn love Halloween and are having a party, a dark, spooky creature is heading towards Farmer Brown’s house. When Farmer Brown hears a tap, tap, tapping on the front door, he opens it and sees the bowl of candy is gone. But there’s a note on the door, and there’s lots of noise ...more
Meg McGregor
Mar 22, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: holiday-reads
Farmer Brown does not like Halloween so he tucks himself in bed, pulls the covers up to his chin, and tries to sleep.

There is really no magic in this Halloween story and the illustrations just pale in comparison to the other stories.
Chelsea
Oct 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Doreen Cronin is a hilarious genius that conveys crazy stories in an entertaining way that all children enjoy. With Halloween around the corner, reading this book during story time gets the children in the Halloween mood (not that they aren't already in the Halloween mood, but they become even more excited about it after and love talking about what costumes they are going to wear).

Read during a school visit on October 18th, 2018.
Paula
Aug 15, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013-reads
I love this series, but this book isn't as good as the rest.
M.L.D.
Sep 22, 2013 rated it it was ok
Cute book, but I was disappointed with it. It's nowhere as clever as other books in the series. My pre-schooler enjoyed it, but she's not asked to read it again (unlike other books in the series).
Jennifer Klein
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Book Title: Click, Clack, Boo! A tricky treat
Author/Illustrator: Doreen Cronin and Betsy Lewin
Reading Level: 2.3
Book Level: K-3

Book Summary:
Farmer Brown does not like Halloween and just wants to hid in his bed all night. The farm animals have a party for Farmer Brown in his barn, and plan to make sure that he attends.

Bookshelf Mentor Writing Traits

Word Choice – The words used in the book are very descriptive for the reader. As you read the story you can almost hear the “crunch, crunch,
Jessica Neubauer
Carole
Oct 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-books-read
The series started with Click, Clack, Moo, and has continued with several sequels. Each one is well done in both text and illustrations. Doreen and Betsy compliment each other. This sequel centers around Halloween and includes the usual characters--the farm animals and the farmer and of course the ring leader, duck. The farmer is not a fan of Halloween, is afraid of it and plans isolate himself under the covers in his bed after leaving a bowl of candy on the porch with a note "DO NOT DISTURB." ...more
James
Dec 06, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not quite the complete story of the original Click, Clack, Moo but still a serviceable, fun, and richly illustrated Halloween themed follow up. Farmer Brown does not enjoy Halloween but that will not stop the barn dwelling animals from celebrating. Again, a work my children enjoyed and while not the classic of the original, this is a fun enough holiday tie in that my kids recall and ask for throughout the year.
Connie T.
This story was a bit of a let down as nothing really happens. The farm animals have a Halloween party and, despite being afraid, Farmer Brown goes to the barn to investigate. Upon entering the barn, he wins a prize for his costume. I'm confused. Do the animals like his pajamas? Or do they think an animal came dressed as Farmer Brown? The ending makes no sense and the story is disappointing.
Rosa Cline
Jan 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids, halloween, 2017
These farmer and his animals books are all cute to read but they all end "odd" and this one seemed to have no ending at all... just leaves things hanging. Farmer is afraid of Halloween but the animals are having a Halloween party in the barn. The farmer puts his pjs on and heads to bed. But he hears scary noises on the porch and in the leaves,... and a shadow in the yard!
Lindsey Reece
Sep 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-lit
These books are so fun to read! I love the illustrations and how the animals come to life. It would be fun for students to imagine what animals are doing on Halloween night. I think this book would make a great read aloud with all of the noises and sound effects! The twist at the end of the story also added some humor to the book!
Sarah Westgate
Oct 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Genre: Fiction
This book is great for Kindergarten. One unique feature of this text is it has the same characters as other click, clack, moo stories so the children can build a relationship with the characters!
Michaela Stoffel
This would be a great book to bring to the classroom around Halloween time. It would mainly be useful for younger children. It uses strong descriptive words, which can help build vocabulary. The book creates suspense without becoming too "scary."
Brittany
Oct 30, 2018 rated it liked it
If you like the other books in this little series, you might be a bit disappointed with this one. It is just not as good as the others. Cute illustrations make it a three star due to the lacking story.
Tracy Morton
Oct 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This is a really cute story about a farmer who is afraid of Halloween but the animals in the barn are thrilled and have a big party. There is not a lot of text and it isn't too scary so it would be okay for a younger group!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Pete the Cat: Five Little Pumpkins
  • Big Pumpkin
  • Leaf Man
  • There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Bat!
  • Bats at the Library
  • Creepy Carrots!
  • Pumpkin Jack
  • Bats at the Beach
  • Eek! Halloween!
  • Can You Make a Scary Face?
  • The Pigeon Has to Go to School
  • Bear Says Thanks
  • A Piglet Named Mercy
  • It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown
  • Nobody Hugs a Cactus
  • Scaredy-Cat, Splat!
  • Where's My Mummy?
  • Ghost in the House
Doreen Cronin was a practicing attorney in Manhattan when her first book Click, Clack Moo: Cows That Type became a publishing success. But her book was not published overnight. In fact, she had written this barnyard tale even before attending law school but only received rejection letters from publishers. Five years after submitting the original manuscript she got a call from a publisher who ...more

Farmer Brown's Barnyard Tales (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Click, Clack, Moo: Cows That Type
  • Giggle, Giggle, Quack
  • Duck for President
  • Click, Clack, Quackity-Quack: An Alphabetical Adventure
  • Click, Clack, Splish, Splash: A Counting Adventure
  • Dooby Dooby Moo
  • Thump, Quack, Moo: A Whacky Adventure
  • Click, Clack, Peep!
  • Click, Clack, Ho! Ho! Ho!
  • Click, Clack, Surprise!