Start by marking “The Binding Stone (Djinn, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Binding Stone (Djinn, #1)

The Binding Stone

(Djinn #1)

Tricked into slavery by the man she loved, the Djinni Leela has an eternity to regret her choices. Awakened in the prison of her adolescent body, she finds a new master in possession of the opal that binds her. But seventeen-year-old Jered is unlike any she's seen. His kindness makes Leela yearn to trust again, to allow herself a glimmer of hope. Could Jered be strong ...more
Published May 12th 2013 by Fuzzbom Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Binding Stone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Binding Stone

Start your review of The Binding Stone (Djinn, #1)
Margo Berendsen

First line: My eyes snap open the moment I feel it.

I've been looking forward to this book for a long time, so thank you Lisa Gail Green and Fuzzbom publishing for an advanced copy! There might be a few minor spoilers in this review; I couldn't resist sharing some of my favorite parts, which seemed a shame to hide behind spoiler tags, since they are minor.

I love how The Binding Stone begins, with the main character, Leela, awaking from a long sleep when a teenager unknowingly finds her binding
Jojobean
I really liked this book. This is my first time reading a book about genies/djinn and I was glad I picked this book to introduce me to that world.

I'm gonna clarify the difference between a djinn and a genie, as least as how I understand it to be. Leela (the main character) is a being called a djinn that has magical powers. All djinn are free. A genie is a being that is trapped and forced to have a master. The genie must do what the master wants/commands/wishes whether they want to or not. Leela
Lisa
Mar 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
First, a disclaimer...I designed Lisa's cover for the BINDING STONE. And to be honest, I was only given a synopsis to work with.

That being said, when I did get the ARC a few weeks after the cover had been completed, I did not HAVE to read it. I figured I'd at least try. But, you see, once I started, I did not want to stop. And I was literally stunned by how well my cover suited the book.

The first thing that grabbed me in was the voice of the MC, Leela, the thousands year old Djinn. Lisa manages
Martina Boone
Mar 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Lisa's imagination is astonishing. She has managed to blend a Djinn creation story of remarkable depth and creativity with a present-day tale that is as twisty and complex as it is easy to read. I won't risk any spoilers by commenting on specific parts of the story, but there is literally not a dull moment in this book, and it is fresh, original, and wholly absorbing. I defy anyone to guess what will happen!
Megan
This was an interesting story. Leela and Jered were fun characters, but I liked Sophie, Gabe, and Taj the best. The ending was good, but sad, and I feel some parts were unnecessary. If there's ever another book in the series, I'd most likely want to read it but that doesn't seem to be in the works...at least that I could find.
Pauline Ross
“My eyes snap open the moment I feel it. The magic is palpable. It tingles as it travels up and down my arms. I am not happy. Whoever dares disturb my century-long slumber will suffer my wrath.” So begins 'The Binding Stone', one of the most intriguing openings I've ever come across.

Leela is a Djinn (genie) awakened from sleep by an unwitting new Master, Jered. This is not the three wishes kind of genie, but a powerful enslaved Djinn, compelled to do whatever her Master of the day tells her to.
Anna
Jan 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I received an ARC for an honest review on this book several weeks ago. So here goes.

I read a lot. I read various genres from YA to Contemporary Romance to Historical Fiction to Nonfiction. I love Paranormal anything, usually. However, Genies and magic has never been my interest (read I never got the whole Harry Potter thing), so I was excited to see if this author could bring me over. I do not award 5 stars easily either. A book must be PERFECT to garner a PERFECT review. Interesting characters,
Sam
Sep 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book blew me away! It's been a long time since a story has had me this gripped, so well done to the author.

STORY: We enter the life of the Djinni Leela, tricked into slavery along with her fellow Djinn by a man she loved. Now, awakening in the 21st century to a new master, Leela realises that the scars of the past still remain, but there's hope to get her ultimate freedom.

In a somewhat unique twist, Leela is the protagonist rather than Jered, her master, and this makes for a much more
Brianna C
Sep 09, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013, review
3.5 out of 5 stars
received a copy from the author in exchange for an honest review

"Time has taught me many lessons. Most important of all is caution."

I know nothing about traditional genie/djinn lore so this was definitely my first foray into this type of character. That said, I did enjoy it. It was pretty easy to fall into, but it did feel somewhat jumpy/inconsistent at times. As well, it seems it was dragged out longer than it needed to be-there was just so much going on.

"One moment he says
Lisa
Sep 08, 2013 rated it liked it
I received this book by the author for an honest review.

My likes:
Some of the supporting characters- Sophie was an cute and innocent addition to the cast. And even though I didn't like Gabe at the beginning of the book, he became a good character by the end (and then man...why do you have to do that was there any point)

The story concept about a Djinn isn't one commonly used. I really think the author did some research into some of the legends.

I really liked how Jered wasn't one of those
Terri
May 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
It took me two days to read this book only because I couldn't stay up reading all night (I had to go to work the next day). The book was fast-paced, engrossing, and I loved the characters. This was a fresh and new take on the mythology of djinni who are presented as sort of innocent babes in the woods, living in a state of grace and nature, until they get curious about the human world and then bad shit happens to them. Very, very, very bad shit. The flashback scenes of Leela's torture and ...more
Laura Pauling
Mar 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
What an original genie story. I went in expecting a certain kind of story but Green really adds a lot more to this trope to make it unique. Yes, the genie is trapped but she wakes to a new master in modern times. I loved Leela's interaction with her new master, Jered. A very cute romance.

I also loved how the author delves into Genie history with in depth world building and history. She accomplishes this through a different timeline in the past, revealing Leela's past masters, her past love, and
Toni Kerr
Mar 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The Binding Stone is such a unique, imaginative story...I don't even know where to start! I love the cover art, Gabe, Taj, and little Sophie (all side-kick characters), the overall complexity, and the twists and turns that keep upping the tension along the way. This book was so different than what I thought it would be!

The voice and tense took some getting used to, but the historical/flashback chapters were nearly a story of their own, and they added so much depth and character to everyone
Ava Jae
May 19, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
3.5/5

What a fun read! I'll admit it took some time for me to get used to the present day/flashback format, but once I did I found that I really enjoyed Lisa's rendition of the Djinn. Without giving anything away, there were several twists throughout the story, the characters were fully realized, and I particularly loved one of the Djinn (spoiler: it was Taj) who, for once, was totally awesome without being a love triangle interest—yay! I haven't read any genie or Djinn stories before this, but
Rob Cohen
Jan 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can honestly say that I didn't know what to expect from this book since I am not a fantasy/sci-fi fan at all. But this was so much fun and a pure delight to read. The good guy characters were all so likeable and the bad guys were all so hateable. I am looking forward to more volumes in the series-- what a nice surprise!
Pasquale
Jan 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Lisa has written a masterful first YA novel that will appeal equally to young adults and the young at heart. The action-filled modern-day scenes contrast brilliantly with its heroine's origin story told in flashback chapters dispersed throughout the novel. It is a tenderly moving, assured and beautifully written debut.
Natalie Aguirre
Feb 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I really love the idea of this story—a djinn trapped in an adolescent girl’s body and of the binding stone. That’s so original. And I loved the story and learning about Leela’s life now and 1000 years in the past. Lisa did an amazing job with the flashbacks and the pacing of the story. There was constant action and new problems to solve.

Kyra Dunst
Jan 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This was an incredibly wonderful book. The characters are so real that you feel their pain and joy as your own. Told from the point of view of a djinn slave, Leela's story is full of pain and love and the desire for freedom. I would definitely recommend this series to others.
Cat
Sep 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-freebie
As YA as this book sounded, there was actually a lot going on that was more adult (dealing with an abusive past, etc).

This book really surprised me - in a good way. I thought the characters were well written and I found the plot easy to follow and interesting.
Jules
Jun 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mind-candy
What an intricate plot and a cool twist on djinnis I love the way the story was woven throughout. I couldn't put it down once I started it.
Sonia
Aug 27, 2014 rated it it was ok
Not sure why I didn't like this more, I just didn't. I also didn't like that sex was included.
Julie Musil
Jul 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Full of plot twists and action! The Binding Stone kept me glued to every page.
Hmr28
Jun 07, 2013 marked it as to-read
I'd like to read this book but it is not available from BN for the Nook.
Brandi Robertson
Dec 11, 2013
Erin Cashman
Oct 04, 2017
« previous 1 3 next »

• Gabriel's Gift (Sanctuary #4)
  • River's Recruit (Sanctuary, #1)
  • River's Remorse (Sanctuary, #2)
  • River's Revenge (Sanctuary, #3)
Lisa Gail Green writes paranormal and fantasy. She would most definitely have a werewolf for a pet if she weren't allergic.