Start by marking “The Memory Coder” as Want to Read:
The Memory Coder

The Memory Coder

When a security breach is detected, the Memory Restoration Department is called upon to do what they do best: make you forget. But with every memory thats taken out, a new one must be installed in its place. Its a job that requires skill, artistry, discretion, and flawless proficiency in the language of memories. Thats why only the best programmers in the world are ...more
ebook, Short story, 32 pages
Published February 26th 2013 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about The Memory Coder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Memory Coder

Start your review of The Memory Coder
TL
Apr 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
The struggle is not what I remember most about the delivery boys procedure. Its the girl. The one buried deep in his mind. Hidden in his memory like a keepsake.

But of course, it would be difficult to forget that struggle. The delivery boy fought harder than most. Maybe thats because his breach was more personal than the others. A repeat offender. Fueled by fascination and obsession. While most offenses are merely accidental. A slip up.

I, on the other hand, just have to know how to push the
Jon
Extremely concise short story. I would guess it's dystopia but not enough world building or back story to confirm that theory. Not convinced of guys obsession with violet eyes or why said behavior would necessitate a complete memory excision. Quick but somewhat disappointing read.
Rob
Descent little short story. You can read it for free on Tor.com.

Reminds me a bit of Adjustment Team. As a software developer, I cringe at the idea of writing code to replace memories. What if you get a bug?

Not much to say about it since it's short. The writing is good and while I saw the ending coming it's pretty clever.

Leaves me wanting to check out the upcoming novel Unremembered, which is probably the point of giving away the short story.
Meaghan R. (YA-aholic)
Jun 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
EDIT:
The only reason i read this prequel before book one (i normally read prequels asfter the first book because they tend to give something away) because the pub date was before the first book, Unremembered...however, i would strongly suggest that you do NOT read this BEFORE unremembered you will elarn things that are not know in unremembered until at least halfway through the book....

just read it online at tor.....what a great and captivating prequel to Unremembered...because of
ForeverAnAuthor
Mar 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Its really short. I wish it was longer, perhaps a collection of stories all fitted together. Sadly, its only one short story exploring (view spoiler) ...more
Mar 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2013

The Memory Coder is a free short story that can be read on the Tor website here. It is set in the same world as Unremembered by Jessica Brody and fits into the time line before the first book. Although it is set before Unremembered I would personally recommend reading this story after the book because it does give an insight into events that you don't find out about until later on in the novel. I think the story will also make more sense if you've already read the book. That slight
Annamarie
Feb 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013
The Memory Coder is a free short story on Tor.com (link above so you can read it) it is set in the Unremembered world and it gives you information into the biotech company's memory removal and implanted memories.

If you want to know a little about the world before you read the book then you should read it first. I recommend you read it after the book because it would make more sense. I had already read Unremembered when I read this so I enjoyed it because I knew what it was about and it was nice
Chris
Mar 22, 2013 rated it liked it
Kind of meh. Also disappointed that I think it spoiled a bit of the plot of Unremembered, which I was looking forward to. One of the other reviews recommended reading this *after* Unremembered. Wish I had done that.

As far as the actual story, it's well written, although somewhat predicatable.
Brittany (The Book Addict's Guide/Novelly Yours)
Read for free on Tor.com!

Hahaha I loved that little loop. That was really clever.
Pretty quick, but I enjoyed seeing what goes on behind the scenes.
It's been a while since I read Unremembered but I'm hesitating on why Sera was that mesmerizing...? Someone shout it out if they remember. I will definitely need to refresh my memory before I started Unforgotten!
JHACK
Mar 04, 2014 rated it liked it
Wow, Sera's THAT beautiful? No wonder everyone in 2013 treats her like a celebrity. Whoever's playing Sera in the movie adaptation better live up to expectation. But! For a second I thought the first memory coder who climbed the wall was Zen. Haha!
Louisa
Mar 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: re-reads
So I didn't quite read Unremembered soon, so now I've reread this to read that! And yeah, it's kinda hilarious, the circle this goes in!

*First read March 5th 2013*
Great short story, I'm thinking the girl is Seraphina! Must read Unremembered soon!
Kimikimi
Mar 13, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: tor-com
Another Tor.com short story

I don't understand why they couldn't just use a coder that isn't interested in women. Might save them some work reprogramming them over and over like that. I also wish they would explain why recoding people was necessary.
Lady Lioness
Free short story from Tor.com.

I liked the way the author chose to frame the story more than the story itself. Apparently, it's a prequel of sorts to Brody's upcoming book, but I wasn't left with the desire to know more. It was just a good way to kill five minutes.
Maryellen
Mar 09, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kindle-read
This story is apparently set in the new nearfuture of Unremembered, but it didn't do much to whet my appetite for the new book - it was so short that it didn't really do much and I kind of regretted the 99 cents I spent (based on my like of a previous book or two of hers.)
JM
Feb 28, 2013 rated it it was ok
The premise is interesting and well told, but I felt it failed to pay off. Why would three completely different guys become obsessed with a girl they don't know just by looking at her? It felt kind of forced and Mary-Sue-ish.
Heather Helene
Too short of a story to really give it a star rating, but it was interesting and gave a little insight.
Aydrea
Interesting short story!
Liz
Feb 20, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015
Just left me wanting way too much from this story :/
Elizabeth Ray
Oct 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Really good little story to read after reading the book! Almost left off on a twilight-zone kind of feel.
Tony
Feb 28, 2013 rated it it was ok
This was a little to predictable. I found myself waiting for the inevitable ending a quarter of the way through, which ruined the story for me.
Read InAGarden
Jan 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Good short story set in the land of Unremembered - features the erasing memory treatment that goes on in the compound where Seraphina is held.
Beatrice
Mar 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: parts, sci-fi
Theres just something about her eyes...

Awesome short story!

Please read : http://www.tor.com/stories/2013/02/th...
Ab
Doreen
rated it it was ok
Mar 04, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Last Conversation (Forward collection)
  • Emergency Skin
  • Hello, Moto
  • To Be Taught, If Fortunate
  • Schrödinger's Gun
  • Heads Will Roll (Necromancer, #0.1)
  • The Finite Canvas
  • The Night Cyclist
  • Ark
  • For He Can Creep
  • Burnt Sugar (Firebug, #0.5)
  • The Pauper Prince and the Eucalyptus Jinn
  • The Horrid Glory of Its Wings
  • Brimstone and Marmalade
  • Water: A History
  • Sinew and Steel and What They Told
  • The Speed of Time
  • The Ink Readers of Doi Saket
Jessica Brody knew from a young age that she wanted to be a writer. She started self publishing her own books when she was seven years old, binding the pages together with cardboard, wallpaper samples, and electrical tape.

After graduating from Smith College in 2001 where she double majored in Economics and French and minored in Japanese, Jessica later went on to work for MGM Studios as a Manager