Start by marking “SQL Performance Explained” as Want to Read:
SQL Performance Explained

SQL Performance Explained

SQL Performance Explained helps developers to improve database performance. The focus is on SQL-it covers all major SQL databases without getting lost in the details of any one specific product. Starting with the basics of indexing and the WHERE clause, SQL Performance Explained guides developers through all parts of an SQL statement and explains the pitfalls of object-rel ...more
Published July 30th 2012 by Markus Winand (2012) (first published March 8th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about SQL Performance Explained, please sign up.
Ralph N There is the free edition as an e-book online. Just search for Use the Index Luke on Google.

Start your review of SQL Performance Explained
Alexandru Muntean
Jan 10, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: programming
Definitely a book you need to read in order to improve your SQL skills.
Michael Gaudet
Jan 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is by far the most valuable SQL book I’ve ever read. I got hooked on Markus’ free version of this text on his website, and ended up buying a hard copy to show my support and to have it readily available.

The premise of this book is that developers should have a working knowledge of how SQL indexing can be most effectively used to retrieve data. Since developers have an intimate knowledge of what data is required by the application, they are in a better position to design efficient queries th
Pavel
May 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: technical
A tiny book containing a lot of useful material. Very relevant for developers who are also responsible for the database.
Knut
Jul 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Good introduction into how databases uses indices to make effective and efficient queries. Relatively small chapters that focus on one topic at a time and use examples and visualization a to explain the topics discussed. I had never read anything about SQL performance before and this served as a very good introduction. I imagine this being a good reference to come back to when tackling performance problems.
Jon Gauthier
Mar 31, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Developers who build / maintain / optimize SQL schemas / queries
Shelves: programming
This little book contains so many useful nuggets of information. It focuses largely on indexes, but also touches on things like query parameters and their gotchas. With each major feature Winand includes a table listing usage details specific to each SQL implementation. Definitely worth a read.
Ulas Tuerkmen
Oct 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It's really strange that there are so few SQL and relational data management books written for a general developer audience. RDBMS systems are integrated in all kinds of applications that deal with user data, and a big majority of web aplications interface to them. The job of creating, running and optimizing SQL, however, has been delegated to specialized subsystems such ORM's, and DB administrators. The results are the various horrendously performing web applications that I have had the pleasur ...more
Sergey Machulskis
Apr 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: professional
It's short and very well-written. It's the most valuable read on SQL I've ever seen. Usually I avoid reading books online because it's distracting but I couldn't switch to anything else until I finished it.

It's here https://use-the-index-luke.com/sql/ta...

Hard to say what was the most useful in this book. It's dense with advice. Maybe the most important thing for backend developers is "Do NOT use OFFSET for pagination".

I wish there was a book about other index types (this one explains B-tree in
André M. Treffeisen
This is just brilliant. I had the pleasure and joy working with Markus on a small task where I could see and experience his profound knowledge on SQL performance. This made me buy this book. Reading this book now got me back to that time and as I already saw that the knowledge and efficiency taught in this book is really paying off, it was an even greater joy reading more about the underlying magic behind this performance improvements.
Stilgar
Feb 06, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
It takes real skill to explain relatively complex things so simply. I was also impress by Winand's ability to split the content into bite-sized chapters which makes reading effortless as opposed to some work you have to do (even if you do it for work) ...more
ferhat
Jun 14, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2021_read
Basis of B-tree indexes. Useful to review but not like wow.

It is mostly the theoretical extended explanation of his 3-min test in his website. If you had the test good enough consciously, no need for the text.
Michael
Sep 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, computers
Important stuff to know for designing and maintaining a database.
Lucija
Apr 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very useful and easy to read, Contains lots of examples.
Danny
Jul 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2018
Great little book, just going through the first chapter on how the specific index algorithms work (behind the scenes) is worth the small price tag.
Max Borysov
Jul 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-done
Amazing book. It was a real pleasure to read it.
Bugzmanov
Dec 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
Short and solid. Delivers what is promised in a concise, no-bs way. I wish there were more books like this.
Superning
Nov 14, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2020
all knowledges could be find on google,this book just Gather these knowledges.
Can Eldem
Feb 23, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: data
Every application developer should read this book. Nothing more to say. Thank you Markus
Senjin Hajrulahovic
Mar 04, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Phenomenal book. Concise. Packed with useful information.
Tito Brahmanto
Feb 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is the best SQL Performance book I've read so far. ...more
Tim Black
Oct 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book is definitely within the canon for understanding databases. I have a handful of books on writing SQL and this one I reference most often and is the only one I've been able to read from start to end.

Winard keeps the book focused on the main SQL language without going into the peculiarities of each database system and thus keeps the material broadly applicable no matter what system you are using. For each main concept, he creates illustrative examples and includes query syntax from three
chalda
Jan 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
I read a review at https://www.root.cz/clanky/markus-win... and I was thinking quite a long time to read it.
Maybe probably I had quite a big expectations I was not so excited as I thought. I really like the first chapter where is explained how relational databases work with index and what consequences it has. Other interesting chapter was about EXPLAIN command and its usage. That's what I didn't know much in details.
Next chapters are then about particular parts of SQL commands and how they influ
Jean-Luc
Doesn't apply to my job at all, but it's nice to know how database systems are implemented. Certainly more useful than any of the textbooks I've seen on the topic. Covers Microsoft SQL Server, MySQL, Postgres, and Oracle (author's database software of choice).

Doesn't cover nosql databases at all, and that's fine. How those work, or whether they do, is something I'm happy to put off investigating.

If you're an IT professional and you use SQL databases, then you owe it to yourself to pick up a cop
Marek Suscak
Jun 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: computer-science
This is a must-read for every software engineer who maintains a software system that uses an SQL database as the data store. The book goes into the nitty-gritty details of the DB indexing which is a valuable information to have when working with any DB system.

Markus is well-known in the community of DB specialists, not only for this book but also for the complementary website use-the-index-luke.com and for insightful workshops he ran and talks he gave all around the globe.
Mahmoud Tantawy
May 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
i read the book online @ use-the-index-luke.com
The book is great, however it is not a book to read once and forget about because one should always get back to it & try to implement what is learned from it and enhance the queries bit by bit.

Everything was clear, and i liked that the author doesn't speak generally all the time but mentions specific DBs as SQL Server/MySQL/Oracle/PostgreSQL.
Andy Wang
Apr 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really love this book, I indeed learned how indexes work in one week. I've written a book review at http://climber2002.github.io/blog/201... ...more
Andrzej Hołowko
Nov 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, favorites
Short, well organized book, with a lot of good examples and explanations. It should be one of the first books after SQL course. I regret I haven't read it earlier.
One minus: There is no mobi or ebub version, nevertheless kindle handle pdf version well
CJ
Jul 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Easily the best book on SQL performance I've seen. Is cross-platform, covering Oracle, DB2, MSSQL and MySQL. Highly recommended if you want to learn how SQL queries are interpreted by the database engine. ...more
Jan Holcapek
May 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, paperback
The best book on SQL performance by far: short, comprehensible, to the point.
Alex
Aug 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Informative short book.
Ignacio
Nov 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: development
Excellent book. I prepared some slides about it: http://juanignaciosl.github.io/postgr... ...more

• Clean Code: A Handbook of Agile Software Craftsmanship
  • Head First Design Patterns
  • Designing Data-Intensive Applications
  • The Pragmatic Programmer: From Journeyman to Master
  • Design Patterns: Elements of Reusable Object-Oriented Software
  • Coders at Work: Reflections on the Craft of Programming
  • Effective Java
  • Effective Kafka: A Hands-on Guide to Building Robust and Scalable Event-Driven Applications with Code Examples in Java
  • High-Performance Java Persistence
  • Kafka: The Definitive Guide: Real-Time Data and Stream Processing at Scale
  • Clean Architecture
  • You Don't Know JS: Scope and Closures (You Don't Know JS, #2)
  • Node.js Design Patterns
  • JavaScript: The Definitive Guide
  • The Manager's Path: A Guide for Tech Leaders Navigating Growth and Change
  • Янмэйская охота  (Полари, #4)
  • Java Concurrency in Practice

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »