Start by marking “JavaScript Allongé: A strong cup of functions, objects, combinators, and decorators” as Want to Read:

JavaScript Allongé is a book about programming with functions that uses the JavaScript programming language for the examples and exercises. JavaScript Allongé is for:

-- Programmers learning JavaScript who want a thorough grounding in its fundamentals rather than a cursory treatment of its syntax.

-- Programmers already using JavaScript who want to go back and take a deep di
Published December 12th 2012 by Leanpub

To ask other readers questions about JavaScript Allongé, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about JavaScript Allongé

Start your review of JavaScript Allongé: A strong cup of functions, objects, combinators, and decorators
Lydia
Aug 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Written clearly, and incredibly approachable, though the material quickly becomes very advanced. Concepts build on each other in a logical fashion. I got about 3/4 of the way through before it started losing me, so I have some re-reading to do.
Regis Hattori
May 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: programming
I really liked it. But I don't think JS was a good choice. It was necessary to talk a lot about JS nuances (this, function scope vs block scope, arrow function vs named function, a lot of different ways to call a function/method, a lot of different ways to construct an object, etc) That is a lot of parts that could be eliminated by choosing another programming language.

Or the author could simplify the explanations by ignoring some JS features, like the approach used in "JavaScript: The Good Part
Harmen Janssen
Apr 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A great book, not just about Javascript, but about programming in general.
I picked up a lot of new ideas and methods that just aren't covered in more traditional Javascript books.
This book once again proves the value of learning different languages, even ones you don't use in your day to day job, because they all bring interesting and useful perspectives to problem solving and programming in general.
Ahmad Bamieh
Sep 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A very good read. The first part about creating data structures using only functions is a very nice topic related to category theory and functional programming. The second part of the book discussing things such as mixins, delegates, and classes is also very interesting for intermediate level javascriptters.
Lucas
Jan 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
JavaScript Allongé is a JavaScript love story that will have you falling in love with functional programming. It's easily my favorite JS book, and should be yours, too
Lorin Hochstein
Sep 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I've written code in Javascript, but never really developed a deeper understanding of the language. Braithwaite uses Javascript to demonstrate patterns of functional programming, and in so doing, illuminates the aspects of it like context ("this") and prototypes that are unlike most other commonly used programming languages. If you are interested in functional programming, and would like to learn more about Javascript's flavour of object-orientation, you couldn't ask for a better book.
Deen john
Aug 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome book.Even first 100 chapters would make a difference in your Javascript understanding
Marco Emrich
Mar 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: js
R. Braithwaite takes a functional programming viewpoint and makes a tour from this point through JS. While some explanations border on the esoteric, it provides a lot of food for thought on functional *and* object oriented design techniques in JS.
Osazeme Usen
Jun 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: javascript
It's probably the clearest and most simplified Javascript book I have read. It did Justice to functions, objects, combinators and decorators. The author was masterful in his use of simple code logic to explain very complex concepts. It's also a pleasure to read as anyone can follow examples used in this book. I will recommend this book to any programmer that want to master these concepts thoroughly.
Rohan
Jan 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really fascinating primer on functional JavaScript. Not an introduction to JavaScript, but really made me think about the language anew. The author builds up a great collection of functional recipes throughout. He also manages a spattering of wit throughout (sometimes nicely self-deprecating), though without losing track of the subject matter. I'm sure that I'm going to be dipping into this book in the future for ideas.
Jorge David Fernandez
Nov 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dev
Great to consolidate most of the knowledge from Functional Javascript. Many of the topics overlap in one way or another. In my experience I wouldn't say it was as profound as Functional Javascript but I may be biased because I read it first. The code in the book has some bugs so that was a bit annoying. Other than that it is a great resource to get you thinking about the power of composition and the functional paradigm.
Teddy Zetterlund
Jan 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If you want to not only write JavaScript, but understand it too. This book is for you. It's one of the best technical books I've read. JavaScript Allongé teaches you the fundamentals, like prototypes, functional bindings, tail-call optimization, and more in a way so you'll be able to teach others when you're done.
Nikolay
Oct 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
Good combination of ES2015 and functional programming. Not too much dogma, doesn’t skip on the OOP concepts, and I love his writing style. Not everybody will enjoy it, but definitely worth keeping in the arsenal of intermediate-level books.
Ivan Longin
Dec 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is the best javascript book I have ever read
Jon
May 13, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: technical
Great book of functional recipes in JavaScript.
Elías Alonso
Feb 10, 2014 rated it it was ok
Too chatty, too little code. I like my books more dense.
Sergej

• Thinking in C++, Vol. 2: Practical Programming
  • Eloquent JavaScript: A Modern Introduction to Programming
  • You Don't Know JS: Async & Performance
  • Functional-Light JavaScript: Pragmatic, Balanced FP in JavaScript
  • You Don't Know JS: Scope and Closures (You Don't Know JS, #2)
  • You Don't Know JS: this & Object Prototypes
  • You Don't Know JS: Up & Going
  • Functional Programming in JavaScript
  • JavaScript: The Definitive Guide

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »