Start by marking “Promises (Star Wars: Junior Jedi Knights, #3)” as Want to Read:
Promises (Star Wars: Junior Jedi Knights, #3)

Promises (Star Wars: Junior Jedi Knights #3)

3.7  ·  Rating details ·  471 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Before she joined the Jedi academy, Anakin's friend Tahiri knew nothing of her real parents--or how she came to live with the treacherous Tusken Raiders. Now the day has come when Tahiri will learn everything, But first she must prove herself worthy. With Anakin at her side, she must pass a deadly test, using the Force like never before.
Published March 15th 1999 by Berkley (first published April 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Promises, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Promises

Jess Neuner
May 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
This is the book where we finally learn what happened to Tahiri's parents and how she came to be adopted by a tribe of Sand People. Part of the agreement when Tahiri went to Yavin 4 to learn to be a Jedi was that she would come back to Tatooine to find out about her family and then make an informed decision about whether or not she truly wanted to be a Jedi or if she wanted to return to her tribe (I think we all know which one she chooses, as there are two more books in this series). Naturally, ...more
Jaime Krause
Oct 21, 2012 rated it liked it
Okay, Richardson. You have contradicted yourself here. I specifically remember the first book saying that Tahiri is 10 and was orphaned at 4; here you say Tahiri is 9 and was orphaned at 3. I don't get it.

And we learn this because it begins with Silven, a Tusken Raider tribe leader. He raised Tahiri against the wishes of the rest of his tribe and knew her parents. He also holds a secret that contains a promise about her past and very real danger.

Part of this promise requires Tahiri to undergo a
Bernard
Jan 15, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: wookieerrific
This, the third of six Junior Jedi Knights books, closes out the story arc set in motion in the first book, namely, that of the mysterious golden globe discovered in a cave on the planet Yavin 4, where new recruit to the Jedi Academy, Anakin Skywalker Solo, is learning the ways of the Force. For its intended age level (juvenile) I thought it was a fun story. Each of the three so far have been short, easy to read, but also providing some additional character development for Anakin and precious fe ...more
Megan Trimble
Apr 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi
Promises is the third book in the Junior Jedi Knights series, and has a strong focus on Tahiri and her origins. Her and Anakin go to Tatooine where Tahiri must make the choice of whether to return to the Jedi Academy or to stay with her (adopted) people, the Tusken Raiders. Which of course leads the two to end up having to cross the desert alone in a week because the Tusken Raiders' are, in fact, batshit insane particularly when it comes to political strategies.

(view spoiler)
Z
May 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Anakin and Tahiri attempt to survive the desert of Tatooine. This was always my favorite of the Junior Jedi Knight books. It's a classic survival story, but beyond that, we get to learn a lot about Tahiri's own history, and also get to learn a lot about the Sand People. Incidentally, reading this book is what made me really horrified when Anakin Skywalker went and killed all those Sand People in the movie. Really, really horrified.
Darryl Dobbs
Dec 05, 2016 rated it liked it
This a great book earmarked for ages 7-9. Highly recommended for that age group. Much, much better than the Galaxy of Fear children's series.

I'm reading the series because it won't take long and perhaps some of the characters will appear in the regular novels.
M
May 15, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fantasy
About the same quality as the previous book, this one wraps up the first story arc. Overall it's not been a hugely interesting story in comparison to many of the others in the Star Wars universe, probably in large part because an 11 year old can't face threats that are all that powerful.
amypete
Hayden loves listening to these stories each night before bed, but I can hardly stomach them! Oh well, I love to make him happy. And it's great to test his listening comprehension and see him so engaged in a story. He wants to read the whole series. He also wants to be a Jedi when he grows up.
Caitlin
Nov 12, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: media-tie-in
Well that ending sure wasn't rushed at all.
Mark Kaye
Apr 21, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-wars
Yeah not a bad book. Finishes the Golden GLobe tale. Not as good as book one and two.
Todd
Mar 20, 2010
Leigh
Apr 16, 2012
Bernard Wright
rated it did not like it
Mar 07, 2017
Jun 06, 2011
Jerry
Aug 31, 2017
Nancy Fischer
Dec 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Douglas Dvorak
Apr 04, 2014
Josh
Feb 08, 2012
  • Anakin's Quest (Star Wars: Junior Jedi Knights, #4)
  • Against the Empire (Star Wars: Last of the Jedi, #8)
  • Jedi Bounty (Star Wars: Young Jedi Knights, #10)
  • Pursuit (Star Wars: Boba Fett, #6)
  • Queen of the Empire (Star Wars: Jedi Prince, #5)
  • The Swarm (Star Wars: Galaxy of Fear, #8)
I was born on the east coast and went to Cornell University. After college I worked as a writer for Ringling Bros. Barnum & Bailey Circus. It was a fun first job and I learned how to write quickly, and also that when elephants sneeze on you it's very (VERY) messy. After a year in the circus, I moved out west. I lived in Aspen, Colorado where I skied as much as possible and worked as a waitress ...more
More about Nancy Richardson Fischer...

Star Wars: Junior Jedi Knights (6 books)
  • The Golden Globe (Star Wars: Junior Jedi Knights, #1)
  • Lyric's World (Star Wars: Junior Jedi Knights, #2)
  • Anakin's Quest (Star Wars: Junior Jedi Knights, #4)
  • Vader's Fortress (Star Wars: Junior Jedi Knights, #5)
  • Kenobi's Blade (Star Wars: Junior Jedi Knights, #6)