Start by marking “Core Java, Volume 1: Fundamentals” as Want to Read:
Core Java, Volume 1: Fundamentals

Core Java, Volume 1: Fundamentals

4.1  ·  Rating details ·  206 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
This revised edition of the classic "Core Java(TM), Volume I-Fundamentals," is the definitive guide to Java for serious programmers who want to put Java to work on real projects. Fully updated for the new Java SE 6 platform, this no-nonsense tutorial and reliable reference illuminates the most important language and library features with thoroughly tested real-world exampl ...more
Published September 21st 2007 by Prentice Hall PTR (first published September 11th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Core Java, Volume 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Core Java, Volume 1

Mahmoud
Jun 12, 2012 rated it liked it
This was the first programming book I've ever read.

I liked it back then, but I didn't like the fact that important concepts like networking in Java were considered to be an "Advanced" topic, while GUI programming was included in the fundamentals book.

But I admit it's a good introductory text to Java and programming in general.
BT Robinson
Nov 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: software
Incredibly detailed overview of the capabilities of the Java language. A bit overwhelming at times, but finds focus with several code examples. I'd recommend Head First Java as your first Java book, but if you're looking for a more contemporary look at the language, this is a great next book.
Ultra Violence
Jul 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
В целом все хорошо и полезно, но у меня остались вопросы. И примеров бы побольше! Их мало не бывает вообще никогда.
Roman Romaniuk
Sep 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I read this book couple of years ago.
This book is the best choice who want to start lerning Java and the easiest way to do this.
Tallarico
Nov 01, 2009 rated it it was ok
I was looking for a book to get me moderately familiar with the Java programming language and this isn't it. The authors are *way* too opinionated and keep interrupting the flow of the book to note all the differences between Java and C++.

Perhaps I'm missing the point, but this is a book about Java! I can understand the periodic interlude, but every page has multiple side notes. *Very* distracting.

This is a book of inside jokes and unfortunately I'm just trying to learn Java here.
Frank Palardy
Aug 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: java-jvm
Does a decent job explaining fundamentals. I read the first version way back when. This one explains newer features. It should probably focus on fundamentals instead of getting sidetracked as it does. In the middle it goes off into features that aren't part of core Java. So that's like another book.
Alpha
Oct 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: tech
It covers most aspects of Java, maybe a little shallow on some topics, but already good enough for intermediate level programmers.

It might be a little bit difficult for beginners. The author had to skip some stuff to finish those topics in 800 pages.

The diagrams could be improved according to my personal taste.
Vladyslav
Feb 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: java
One of the best language books.
The content covers different parts of the Java language from simple things to complex details. I used it during my university Java course and it helped alot, explained everything that regular course left untold.
I would recommend it for anyone who started to learn Java.
Japkeerat Singh
Mar 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A must for every person who wants to learn programming in Java. Though it lacks questions for practice but that is not a major issue in this technical world where you could get infinite examples on internet.
Volodymyr
May 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
Good description of Java programming language and various Java technologies. Sometimes long and verbose, but I think it's good for such book format
Ivan
Feb 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Very good book for everyone who wants to start learning Java!
Abdelrahman El-tamawy
A very good reference for the basic to intermediate level of java programming.
Alex Ott
Jul 12, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: programming
Good, but too long description of Java programming language
Kevin
  • Java Performance
  • Java Concurrency in Practice
  • C++ Standard Library: A Tutorial and Reference
  • Thinking in Java
  • Python Essential Reference (Developer's Library)
  • More Exceptional C++: 40 New Engineering Puzzles, Programming Problems, and Solutions
  • Programming Concurrency on the JVM
  • Maven: The Definitive Guide
  • Data Structures and Algorithms in Java
  • Perl Best Practices: Standards and Styles for Developing Maintainable Code
  • C++ Primer
  • Java 8 in Action
  • The Well-Grounded Java Developer: Vital techniques of Java 7 and polyglot programming

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »