Start by marking “Riding Shotgun” as Want to Read:
Riding Shotgun

Riding Shotgun

3.79  ·  Rating details ·  816 Ratings  ·  43 Reviews
The author of Venus Envy takes you on a riotous ride back to one woman's future...

In a delightful contemporary farce with a riotous twist, Rita Mae Brown welcomes you to Virginia's horse country, where a fox hunt is about to lead a 1990s woman, Cig Blackwood, into a 1690s adventure of the heart.  Infidelity, single motherhood, family betrayal, and the thrill of the hunt (i
Published May 1st 1997 by Bantam (first published January 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Riding Shotgun, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Riding Shotgun

Susan Marrier
Jul 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
My first Rita Mae Brown book; I will be looking for more! Much of the fox hunting aspect was foreign to me, but that didn't destroy the story. Through experiencing herself in a time 300 years prior, the main character learns much about herself and her own time, as Brown unfolds the story with gentleness, humour, and empathy. These are characters to like (except for some). I might have given the book five stars except for the somewhat unbelievable row that occurs near the ending.
Jen
Sep 03, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Rita Mae Brown fans, equestrians
Rita Mae Brown mentions in the Author's Note for Riding Shotgun that she wrote the book during a blackout when she was bored, and feeling weighed down by troubles. She goes on to say that she hopes the book helps readers forget their troubles, even if just for a short while. Mission accomplished.

The book is filled with Brown's usual Elizabeth Bennett types: strong, beautiful, intelligent, independent, ass-kicking women who make men swoon, with some lesbian sensibility for good measure. This one
Jenna Stewart
Aug 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
Enjoyable historical fiction. Light and fun read. Rita Mae Brown at her best. Topics include: foxhunting, life in America in 1699 and 1995, human relationships/sexual orientation, love, forgiveness, feminine strength, horses and cats.
Sandi Hall henning
Jul 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
I read this book the year it was published (1996). It was a good summer read. I enjoyed the time-travel element and, of course, the equestrian-theme.

I have tried "Outfoxed" and its counterparts but never really got into them. Perhaps will try again in the future.
Melanie
Jan 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: horses, time-travel
I gave this book 3 stars because the story started off slow and I almost didn't stick with it.
Also, because even though I am a horse person, I know nothing about foxhunting and hunt club and often there were long strings of terminologies used or situations talked about that only a fox hunter would understand. I had no idea what the author was talking about in several places.
There were also several places that drug on and I had to just skim through what felt like I was peeking through the window
Emily Bailey
Sep 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
Great historical fiction! The story is well-written, telling the story of a woman who goes back in time. Even though I went from liking, to disliking a character, the main character showed me how to enjoy the first character again. I'd read this book once already, but forgotten. The history was great, made me wish I'd gotten the chance to go back in time, too.
Olympia
Apr 09, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: booksfree-com
I probably would of liked this story more, if I had been around horses more, but I've seen horses only when my class goes to the farm on a field trip. Although I enjoyed the parts about going back in time, I think this author made life in 1699 a little to comfortable and easy. An easy read, now going to read something for work so I can be a better teacher ha ha!!
Edmund
Dec 23, 2007 rated it liked it
It's always comforting to spend some time with a Rita Mae Brown creation. If I hadn't been obsessed with "Lost" in recent months, I'm not sure how I would have felt about the time-travel element in this story. But, it worked for me and, even better, it worked well in the story.
Sally
Aug 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
Set in Virginia, Cig is the Master of the hunt, But during the ride a fox, Fattail, leads her into a mysterious fog and she travels in time. This story gives you a lot to thing about contracting 1699 to current times. I enjoyed this story more as I got into it.
Judith
Sep 01, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Time Travel

This was “not bad.” It was readable. The nickname given to the main character drove me crazy. “Cig” was named because her middle name was Chesterfield. I hated it through the whole book.
Another book cleaned off the shelf.
Susan
Sep 08, 2009 rated it liked it
Always enjoy Rita Mae Brown books. A little mystery, some horsemanship, and in this one - a little time travel.
Sharon
Feb 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this yet another time! I truly love this book! It starts off in Virginia, so I am in love already! This adventure, time travel tale is full of family wisdom. A must read. Thank you, Rita Mae!
Sue
Mar 27, 2014 rated it liked it
In 1699, the Indians were portrayed in a stereotypical manner. The main characters of the past grasped time travel all too easily, when they would have likely cried witch. Very slow moving.
Hope Szabo
Nov 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
My favorite
Susanna
Jan 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is one of my favorites by Rita Mae.
Suzanne
Jun 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: good-reads
an 'oldie but goodie' shelf..time travel and horses, what more can one ask? Well written, good story!
Gerri
Nov 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was my first Rita Mae Brown novel, won't be my last!
Kathy
Jan 03, 2013 rated it it was ok
time travel VA foxhunting
Bonnie Hudon
Dec 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
More typos that I like but I really enjoyed the book. This is the first book of Ms Brown's that I've read outside of the Mrs Murphy's series. Very interesting story line and a nice easy read.
Julia
Mar 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-favorites
I loved this book so much that I re-read it all the time! I was lucky enough to receive a signed copy as a gift, so I treasure it :-)
Sue
Mar 16, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
I'm not typically a fan of time travel books, but this was a nice weekend read.
Bonnie
Jan 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
I re-read this for the pleasures of time travel and fox hunting. I may have loved it more the first time but it's still a lovely story with some great descriptions.
Patricia
Jul 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Interesting story with a horse theme , fox hunting and time travel. This was a light read.
Georgene
Sep 10, 2012 rated it liked it
A non-preaching Rita Mae Brown story! Not a mystery, but modern fiction mixed with historical fiction.
Rita
Jan 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mysteries
i really like this book. The time travel is believeable.
Clivemichael
Sep 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Entertaining well written light read
Lisa
Jul 29, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Lisa by: Salina Public Library
If you like time travel, horses, fox hunting, and women done wrong - this book is for you. Set in Virginia horse country Cig Blackwood is take for a trip on her family heritage thru time.
Hilary
Sep 29, 2007 rated it really liked it
While out on a fox hunt, the heroine goes back in time to get over the death of her husband and other stuff. Modern times back to 1699 Virginia. Pretty good.
Catherine
Sep 06, 2015 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Wendy Lessard
IInteresting to think she started this while snowbound for a few days... love her phrasing and language and sense of humor!
Forgiveness and redemption 2 3 Aug 26, 2012 09:41AM
  • Harka (Die Söhne der Großen Bärin #1)
  • The Kaiser Affair (The Drifting Isle Chronicles #1)
  • Falling Slowly
  • Song of Years
  • A Harvest of Ripe Figs (Mangoverse, #3)
  • That Distant Land: The Collected Stories
  • Madness in Maggody (Arly Hanks, #4)
  • The Book of the Dead
  • After The Storm
  • North Star Conspiracy (Glynis Tryon, #2)
  • Fortune Said: A Valentine Haberdashers Tale (The Haberdashers, #2.2)
  • The Glass of Dyskornis (Gandalara Cycle, #2)
  • I'll Be Leaving You Always (Lauren Laurano, #2)
  • The Firemaster's Mistress (Francis Quoynt #1)
  • A Woman's Eye
  • Traveller
  • The Barbarian's Mistress
  • Sleeping Bones (Kate Delafield, #7)
Rita Mae Brown is a prolific American writer, most known for her mysteries and other novels (Rubyfruit Jungle). She is also an Emmy-nominated screenwriter.

Brown was born illegitimate in Hanover, Pennsylvania. She was raised by her biological mother's female cousin and the cousin's husband in York, Pennsylvania and later in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida.

Starting in the fall of 1962, Brown attended the Un
More about Rita Mae Brown...

“Sorrow is how we learn to love. Your heart isn't breaking. It hurts because it's getting larger. The larger it gets, the more love it holds.” 2808 likes
“Loving's pretty easy. It's letting someone love you that's hard.” 315 likes