Start by marking “Homeless (Wild at Heart, #2)” as Want to Read:
Homeless (Wild at Heart, #2)

Homeless

(Vet Volunteers #2)

Each of these exciting stories, told in the voice of one of the 11-year-old volunteers at the Wild at Heart Animal Clinic, offers a first-hand account of animal emergencies and rescues. This series is sure to win the hearts of readers who are wild about animals!Dr. Mac's cat is missing! Sunita leads a search party to look for him and discovers a large colony of wild cats ...more
Published June 29th 2000 by American Girl Publishing Inc (first published January 2000)

Start your review of Homeless (Wild at Heart, #2)
Wendi Lee
*3.5 stars*

My library didn't have the first book in this series, so I'm hoping I didn't miss much by skipping to book two. I'm a big fan of Laurie Halse Anderson's YA novels, and interested in seeing what her early reader/pre-MG books are like. Not only that, but I'm looking for stuff my 8 year old might like after he's done with The Notebook of Doom series. We are both big cat fans, so this seemed like a good fit.

Strengths: Sunita is an Indian American protagonist (yay for diversity!) and
'Melanie Perdomo
Feb 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not a fan of cats, but they do look pretty nice in the cover so I chose to read these books because of that, at first I didn't even think it would be interesting after I read it...it was fun...it had some fun moments and funny places in the story...some were confusing...and some were just not expectable...to expect to happen right away..
Verania Wolf
Oct 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Vet volunteers homeless by Laurie Halse Anderson, this book get a 5 out of 5 stars. Something great great about this book is the realist characters they presented. As well as, how emotional attached you get to the characters and animals. Just by reading you could tell how much Sunita cares about the cats she takes care of. The description and detail they give about Socrates (the cat) really helps you imagine how he looks. Sunita desires to get a cat of her own which is continuously shown ...more
Amorette Novoa
Feb 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In the story,homeless (vet volunteers)by laurie halse is a really good book i would suggest you read this book if you love cats. In the book their is kids that help the little cats out and it's so cute. I am not kidding this book is so amazing it makes you feel like your in the book with them i also like who they give details i love this book i hope you like this book to.
Kaley Catron
Jun 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
There's nothing like a light simple read. The Wild At Heart books are perfect for those. I had the first book of these for the longest time and just recently found book 2 and I loved it just as much as the first and I can't wait to find the next ones and finish the series(:
Shazza Maddog
Jul 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Sunita loves cats. Loves them. She wants a cat more than anything. She volunteers at the local vet's office, Wild at Heart, to have a chance to help take care of cats. The vet's office cat, Socrates, who is not the friendliest, loves her. But when he leaves the yard, chasing after an obviously-pregnant black and white cat, Sunita and her friends run after him and find a large colony of feral cats.

Some other kids have been doing their best to take care of the cats but their Mom hates cats - much
Amy
Jan 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book was a read. Main character is an Indian American girl who loves cats. I was so exited to read a book in which my daughter could see herself! The reading level was a bit above my 8 year old, especially the vocabulary surrounding the veterinary clinic, vaccinations and a feral colony therefore it made it a perfect book for us to read together.

I appreciated the story line of kids who love animals mixed with veterinary science. The author didn’t sugar coat the action and it kept my young
Abbie F
Sep 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Amazing!
Cheyann
Mar 16, 2017 rated it liked it
this book homeless was about a girl who truly love cats. who decided to work at a clinic just to be around cats because her mother don't like them nor won't allow her to have one as a pet.she believes that they are to sneaky.

what i liked about the book was how she really liked cats and you could tell because even after she got bit by one hard to where she had to go to the hospital afterward she was making sure the cat that bit her was okay and she was blaming herself and still wanted to check on
beth mccullough
Feb 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good!!

I have nothing negative to say! It was a very good book. I could imagine most of the book in my head.
Viviennegloria
Jan 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
10-11 kacie
Oct 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing
sunita is a very cat loveing person. so whent out to the rescue clinct and got a voeering teerie job to help dr.mac. she became very close to socrates the clinic's pet animal. she took him home one day and there was another cat at the house and socrates became violent and starting attcting the other cat. after the fight they both ran away and sunita became very worriod that something had happened to him and the other cat (she was pregant) so they were even more worried. when they were looking ...more
Speak to the Book
Another of Anderson's great animal stories for young readers. Homeless focuses on Sunita and her desire to have a cat while teaching readers about the difference between pets and feral/wild animals. Through Sunita's gradual understanding of the distinction between domestic and feral, children can learn about the different ways that stray animals relate to people and learn a lesson about being cautious in animal encounters.
Suzanne
Apr 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Same stories in Anderson's Vet Volunteers series. All these stories are so much better than the run-of-the-mill cute animal chapter books out there. They are just as enjoyable for their readers, much more informative, and address current issues. I am using them to help animal organizations plan programs for kids in grades 3-5.
Books Kids Like
When Dr. Mac's cat, Socrates, runs away, the volunteers find a lot of feral cats inhabiting an abandoned boxcar. When Sunita sets out to find the cats good homes,she must overcome many obstacles not the least of which is her mother's fear of cats. Formulaic and predictable, but still a nice quick book to while away a few hours.
stargazer fey
Apr 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Again another beautiful story i read as a young reader (5th grade). I loved this one more then the 1st one because i found this one more sad. I hate seeing homeless pets. They dont deserve it. Plus i like kitty's...hehe.
Beverly
Jun 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cats

It is always important to educate yourself on the species or pet you are planning to add to your home and family. Keeping your new member clean,fed,and healthy is very important. A pet can teach responsibility as well as love and compassion.
Shanell
Jan 08, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cats love Sunita Patel, and she loves them back. Since her mother won't let he have a cat of her own, finding a feral cat colony is a dream come true. But Animal Control is going to destroy all of the cats unless Sunita does something drastic.
Sheri
Mar 13, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
It seems every year I have at least one student that wants to be a veterinarian. Although I worry that some of my struggling readers will get caught up in the technical language and medical terms of this story, it's a story that shows the many ways to get involved with helping animals.
Kayla Kellogg
Jan 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a cute kids book. It could've had more detail, but the book itself was probably meant to be short and to the point. Is is a quick feel good book to read.
Katelyn 11-12
Mar 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is another one of my great books! I would spare time i my day to read this, it had great words and the love never stopped.
Sam
Mar 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A sad story of life & death its self.
Naiya
Jan 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this book is sad and it is a really big adventure for sunita... she loves cats and cats love her back .... you should read this book for further information
Jen Evans
Jan 20, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: school-library
Great for 2nd grade and up.
Mariana Morales-Titla
I really liked and I think I want a cat (maybe).
Jim
Mar 19, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cats, medical
an intelligent and interesting story about feral cats.
Ilana
Nov 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A fun, educational, intriguing book series that helps young kids interested in animals learn a bit more about their furry friends.
Jessica
Jul 30, 2009 rated it really liked it
LOVE IT!!!!!!!!! ALL ABOUT CATS... FERAL CATS BEING SAVED
Critter
Sep 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-grade, animals
I really enjoyed this book. It was pretty sad. It gave plenty of information on the animals.
Maddie
Feb 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Great Book

• Ratha and Thistle-Chaser (The Named, #3)
  • The Outcast (Guardians of Ga'Hoole, #8)
  • The Darkest Hour (Warriors, #6)
  • Rising Storm (Warriors, #4)
  • Shelby's Story: A Dog's Way Home Tale
  • Forest of Secrets (Warriors, #3)
  • How to Dork Your Diary (Dork Diaries, #3.5)
  • Fire and Ice (Warriors, #2)
  • Tabby in the Tub (Animal Ark, #29)
  • Listening for Lucca
  • Infusion (Otherworld Stories, #0.02)
  • June Dreams (Summer, #1)
  • Shoeshine Girl
  • The Grand Escape (Cat Pack #1)
  • Fire Bringer
  • July's Promise (Summer, #2)
  • Savage (Otherworld Stories, #0.03)
  • The Empty City (Survivors, #1)

Ask box is open, my friends! What do you want to know?

UPDATE! SHOUT, my memoir in verse, is out, has received 9 starred reviews, and was longlisted for the National Book Award!

I recently answered all kinds of great questions over at Reddit. Check it out for loads about my writing process and my books:https://www.reddit.com/r/books/commen...

For bio stuff: Laurie Halse Anderson is a New York Times

Vet Volunteers (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • Fight for Life (Vet Volunteers, #1)
  • Trickster (Wild at Heart, #3)
  • Manatee Blues (Wild at Heart, #4)
  • Say Good-Bye (Wild at Heart, #5)
  • Storm Rescue (Wild at Heart, #6)
  • Teacher's Pet (Wild at Heart, #7)
  • Trapped (Wild at Heart, #8)
  • Fear of Falling (Wild at Heart, #9)
  • Time to Fly (Wild at Heart, #10)
  • Masks (Wild at Heart, #11)