Start by marking “JavaScript and jQuery: Interactive Front-End Web Development” as Want to Read:
JavaScript and jQuery: Interactive Front-End Web Development

JavaScript and jQuery: Interactive Front-End Web Development

Learn JavaScript and jQuery a nicer way

This full-color book adopts a visual approach to teaching JavaScript & jQuery, showing you how to make web pages more interactive and interfaces more intuitive through the use of inspiring code examples, infographics, and photography. The content assumes no previous programming experience, other than knowing how to create a basic web
Published June 30th 2014 by Wiley (first published March 5th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about JavaScript and jQuery, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about JavaScript and jQuery

Start your review of JavaScript and jQuery: Interactive Front-End Web Development
Ronando
Sep 07, 2014 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Beginners of JavaScript
You won't like this review because I am in the extreme minority. I thought this was going to be a fantastic book because of the reviews and because of the fantastic imagery. But, by the time I was neck deep in chapter two, I realized that I had drunk the Kool-Aid; the book was nothing but a beautiful presentation of definition of terms, more so than a tutorial that led a beginner through the fundamentals of learning JavaScript and or JQuery.

I have tried Code School, Lynda, Thinkful, Code Academ
Cindy
Jul 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Just came out but what I've seen is beautiful and clear. Be forewarned, this book doesn't come with exercises but you can find the examples online to mess around with at javascriptbook.com.

It may not be as technical as your other javascript/jquery books, but it really inspires - anyone who's not a newbie should not get this with the mindset of advanced programming because it's definitely geared toward people who haven't touched code.
Jeffery Moulton
I have read a lot of technical books over the years, and I have read more than a few JavaScript books. This book is one of the best I've ever read. It is very informative yet concise. It addresses the needs of first time learners and experts alike. And it is absolutely gorgeous to look at and a pleasure to read. I highly recommend it anyone learning JavaScript.

I am not paid by or any relation to the author. I sincerely believe this is an excellent book.
David Sarkies
Sep 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: science
A Not So Basic Programming Language
8 September 2018

The first book in this series was pretty easy going, but it turned out that this one really wasn’t the case. Then again when we come to Javascript we are basically dealing with a computer language, and when it comes to computer languages they can be pretty complicated. Honestly, reading a book, particularly with the speed that I read it, really isn’t going to give you a good idea on how the language works. Well, there are some people that proba
shakespeareandspice
This was a brilliant addition to the advanced web development courses I am taking at the moment. Whenever I felt a bit lost in class, I would refer to this, and vice versa. It is visually attractive and the author kindly also offers downloadable content for you to see/play with as you attempt to learn the concepts and ideas of Javascript/jQuery programming.

I would highly recommend this to someone who is searching for a good beginners guide on JS and jQuery. I did find some of the later content a
Jelena
Sep 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: on-my-shelf
Awesome book for begginers to start with! I started with it! <3

But, at this time JavaScript got some improvements and I don't think this book is enough. It is not outdated, but there are some stuff missing. After finishing with this book, I reccomend something about ES6 definitelly, to have complete knowledge.
Andrijana
Jan 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book is so visually pleasing, BUT, it is not very interesting if you have some experience in programming. My advice for those alike (advanced beginners), is to choose only the chapters covering topics you're not familiar with and read those, since there is certainly useful content in this book.
Graham
Jun 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The book 'Javascript and jQuery' by Jon Duckett is a masterminded intelligent book that has a very good step by step process on everything a beginner should know. From how to put through a GET request to fine tuning your login form for your website. The format of the book is laid out in a very modern style and just makes you want to read it based on the feel and look of it. They say don't judge a book by it's cover, but this is one book that has a beautiful cover and a lovely inside. On page 221 ...more
Sally Ragab
Feb 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I have never mastered programming until I have read this book
Laurence
May 13, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: computer-science
Lots of pretty pictures and colours, but the contents are outdated (pre-ES6) and the exercises barely qualify as such. I recommend it to absolute beginners (like, what's-a-variable-beginners) who are scared of the usual user-unfriendly textbooks and don't care (yet) about practice and being on top of the latest web technologies.
Carlos Completo
Nov 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'm reading this book after I have read its companion "html&css" (in 2019).
I have tried many years ago (somewhere in 2008) to learn javascript from another book, but at that time it was too confusing to me.
With this colorful and simple explanations I think I finally will learn something (despite I'm yet in the page 215).
Despite I think this book is very good for beginners like myself (and not so good for experienced developers) due to its slow pace, it is getting boring to see code that I think
Robert Hernandez
Nov 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: computer-science
As I collect coding books down my coding career, I find myself coming back to the basics from time to time again, and I have heard good things of this book so I decided to give it a shot. Now pretence, I came with about 8+ years of dev time by this time, and there were still some sections I needed a good second/third read. It's not that the book doesn't give examples(I think their visual approach is actually quite welcome from many terse books in the past) but indeed the content is just as it is ...more
Morana
Feb 06, 2020 marked it as to-read
I am a beginner/intermediate level front-end dev and really wanted to buy a physical book about JS. This would be my first choice because, based on what I saw, it is absolutely beautiful, well structured and illustrated. It would be perfect to brush up on what I already know, as well as to fill in the gaps and learn something new. However, it seems to me that there's a rather big downside - it is no longer up-to-date. It doesn't include the ES6 update, so it says nothing about let and const vari ...more
Lena Luna
I was working on a practice website with HTML5 and CSS3 when I began reading this. The end of the book was really what started to help me add to the website in small ways. Really, it was a great read during my 9-5 call center job, that made me feel like I understood fundamentals, that may have taken longer to learn any other way. It wasn't what helped me code (practice is all that's really helped), but it was a great use of time. I felt like I really accomplished something (not, jQuery though). ...more
Albi Hasani
Dec 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This books is meant to follow the 1st book of the series of Jon Duckett: HTML and CSS.
The styling remains consistent, making for a pleasant reading experience.
I had to skip a lot of pages to get to actual new content for me, as I had previous javascript experience. This is understandable because the book is also meant for newcomers to web development.
The Javascript concepts and APIs were examined thoroughly and the jQuery coverage, even though it's now less popular, was extensive.
Aubrey Fletcher
Jul 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: programming
If you want to learn more about JavaScript and jQuery, this book is totally a plethora of information. It gives you a wealth of information with the feel of reading a magazine. From Object-Oriented Programming within JavaScript, to manipulating API's, to developing forms, and showing you snippets of code that makes you feel totally involved. It's one to reference from for years to come!
Jose Herrera
Jan 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
The book explores very well the bases of the language, thought for people who begin in programming since it is detailed a lot in general aspects of programming.
It also explores many characteristics of JS that some developers ignore, but the book its excellent for beginning with JS, clearly, illustrated and very well explained.
Tech Nomad
May 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book is a great introduction into the JavaScript language and has the best visual design of the content I've seen so far in a technical book. Which is quite an argument for an frontend developer.

I've read the jQuery part in 2015/2016. But I'wouldn't advice anybody to read anything on jQuery in 2020 :)
Avi
Nov 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
It's a good reference book. As others have noted, it does not have specific projects tied with case studies, which might have been more useful. Still, with beautiful design and valuable information, I'd say it's a must-have on your business bookshelf.
Hannah Notess
Jul 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: tech
beginner-friendly. hurrah for well-structured information.
Alexa Williams
Jul 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: computer-science
Haven't quite finished yet, but I wish all CS books were this beautiful.
Liz
Jul 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Hard to get through, but good information, and great graphics :)
Roxaan Khan
Mar 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
i love the way thiis book is i really wanna web develpar
Raymond Lewis
Jun 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great resource though my copy was a little old. Great follow up to the HTML/css book.
Cayla Green
Sep 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
I did not feel that this book was helpful at all. It is a disjunct dictionary of terms with pictures.
Erica Garcia
Nov 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, tech
Slightly outdated, great illustrations.
Mitchell Naleid
Mar 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'm a visual learner, and I thought the book had great, real life examples that were well laid out. Just need to practice my own examples now and get repetition in.
Kristen Byers
May 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
I like how the concepts in this book are organized and presented in a very visually appealing way. I will keep this one on my shelf for future reference.
Faith
Jun 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: web-development
Absolutely useful! Despite some typo in the second half of the book.
Claire
Aug 03, 2019 added it
Shelves: 2019-reads
Haven't read this cover to cover but am calling it good for now.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Python Crash Course: A Hands-On, Project-Based Introduction to Programming
  • You Don't Know JS: Up & Going
  • Eloquent JavaScript: A Modern Introduction to Programming
  • You Don't Know JS: Scope and Closures (You Don't Know JS, #2)
  • JavaScript: The Definitive Guide
  • You Don't Know JS: Types & Grammar
  • The Self-Taught Programmer: The Definitive Guide to Programming Professionally
  • JavaScript: The Good Parts
  • Secrets of the JavaScript Ninja
  • Hackers: Heroes of the Computer Revolution
  • You Don't Know JS: this & Object Prototypes

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Jon Duckett has been designing and building web sites for over a decade, working with global brands, and has authored and co-authored over a dozen books on web design, programming, usability and accessibility. He has curated conferences about web programming and has been a web strategy consultant, often coding front ends for projects and designing architectures for back end programming. He is the ...more