Start by marking “Suddenly You” as Want to Read:
Suddenly You

Suddenly You

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  20,799 ratings  ·  1,296 reviews
Bestselling author Lisa Kleypas creates a beguiling story, set in a world where appearance means everything, passion simmers just below the surface, and a respectable Englishwoman is willing to risk scandal for one night of love.

She was unmarried, untouched and almost thirty, but novelist Amanda Briars wasn't about to greet her next birthday without making love to a man. W
Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Published November 28th 2006 by Avon (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Suddenly You, please sign up.
Anna They have an audiobook of this but the women reads the book like she would read a medical book not a romance. The plot of the book is not very bad for…moreThey have an audiobook of this but the women reads the book like she would read a medical book not a romance. The plot of the book is not very bad for the genre where most readers do not expect much and mostly away for , you know what. (less)

·  20,799 ratings  ·  1,296 reviews

Start your review of Suddenly You
chan ☆
looooots of thoughts 2 cum
Dina
Feb 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fan-tas-tic! One of the best Kleypas' I've read. Why have I waited so long to read this book?

Spinster novelist Amanda Briars doesn't want to celebrate her 30th birthday as a virgin, so she decides to hire the services of Mrs. Gemma Bradshaw, a well-established madam (whom anyone who's read Worth Any Price should recognize), to find her a suitable man to take care of her, er, "problem". Unbeknownst to Amanda, Mrs. Bradshaw decides to play matchmaker and sends her publisher Jack Devlin in lieu of
Anne

This was my second time reading Suddenly You, but I had read it so long ago that I couldn't remember anything about the plot. Either it didn't make much of an impression, or (and this was the most likely scenario) I was going through Kleypas books too fast to savor the sweet taste.

description

Upon second reading, I can definitely say that this was another winner from this author. No, it wasn't my favorite book ever, but it was a really good romance from a really talented writer.

So, Amanda hires a
Alp
Nov 24, 2017 rated it liked it
2.5/5

I’m not sure where to start. Well, I’m still ambivalent about this one. On the one hand, it was undoubtedly an entertaining read. On the other hand, the romance aspect of this book failed me big time.

This one had an interesting plot. Not quite as original as the author’s other books I’ve read, but still good. For the most part, it was a decent read but there were a few things that ticked me off.

As I already mentioned, I wasn’t impressed with the romance part. In my opinion, Jack and Amanda’
Mo
May 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked it. 3.75 stars ...

“How do I look?" Amanda asked.
Jack shook his head ruefully as he glanced at her. No one could mistake the remaining flush on her cheeks, or the soft sparkle of her eyes, or her lusciously swollen mouth, for anything other than the results of physical passion. "Like you've been ravished," he said flatly.
She astonished him by smiling. "Hurry, please. I want to go inside my house and consult a looking glass. I've always wanted to know what a ravished woman looks like.”

edge of bubble
Lately, I've been let down too many times by the romance genre so I chose a tried and loved author to pick up my dragging rating. Aannnd... Finally! A well written romance with enjoyable characters and nice story. My ovaries wants to thank LK!

Amanda is about to hit the 30 and she's still a virgin. So, she takes the situation in her hands and gets herself a present for her birthday. Nope, not a Teddy Bear with a strap on like my last unfortunate read, but a man-whore? hmm, male escort? a lord of
Jilly
Jan 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A new book-boyfriend for me! He's half Irish, dark hair with blue eyes, loves reading and books, and empowers his woman.

"Good," he said softly. "Set the world afire. Just let me hand you the matches."
.........

"I'll give our son the best of everything. I'm going to spoil the hell out of him, and send him to the best schools, and when he comes back from his grand tour, he's going to run Devlin's for me."

"What if we have a girl?"

"Then she'll run it for me," came his prompt reply.

"Silly man, a woman
UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish
My Review:

What an absolute joy it was to read this book! Jack and Amanda are wonderful characters, in and of themselves, but bring them together and you have magic!

I love the way Lisa Kleypas defines and develops her characters, making them larger than life but at the same time keeping them grounded in reality. They may have fancy houses and more money than they can spend in one lifetime, but they always have to deal with the same things we mere mortals do – life. I find that I become easily inv
☘Misericordia☘ ~ The Serendipity Aegis ~  ✺❂❤❣
Oh, gosh.
Q:
“Set the world afire. Just let me hand you the matches.” (c) Isn't that cute?
Q:
"I've never seen a shred of evidence that spending the rest of one's days in domestic drudgery is any easier than working at some trade. What women need is more education, more choices, and then they will be able to consider options for themselves other than marriage.” (c)
Q:
"Critics say my work is lacking in decency."
"That's because your underlying theme- that ordinary people are capable of extraordinary t
Jonetta
Amanda Briars is unmarried and about to turn 30-years old. She’s an accomplished novelist, independent and self sufficient in an era that’s pretty hard on women without husbands (19th century London). But, she does not want to reach that age milestone without experiencing carnal love. So, she discreetly arranges with the town’s brothel owner for a man. The next day, a gentleman shows up on her doorstep the very next day. Jack Devlin is a successful publisher, known for printing some racy materia ...more
Mir
Nov 15, 2008 rated it it was ok
If you love someone you cannot help but have sex with them.
If you have great sex with someone you must love them.
If you love someone it is okay to blackmail them into having sex with you because you are meant to be together.

In addition to not agreeing with any of these underlying romantic principles and finding the initial set up entirely implausible, I found the story strangely lacking in tension or conflict. Still, it was sort of nice to see grown-up, relatively mature and rational characters
Holly
Sep 22, 2018 rated it really liked it

This was another atypical historical romance featuring a 30 year old heroine, and let me tell you I am all for more of this - it helps me feel not so old myself lol! The heroine in this book is feeling her years too, only she decides to celebrate her birthday by hiring a male prostitute to rid herself of her pesky virginity. That's something I can't say I have ever done, so kudos to her for an original birthday gift to herself, LOL! Jack ends up being quite a bit more then she ordered a
XxTainaxX Curvy and Nerdy
May 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Lisa Kleypas doing what she does best. <3 ...more
ρυηүα [Punya Reviews...]
Lisa (Remarkablylisa)
Mar 14, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: march-2020
This book was not what I expected from Lisa kleypas. I mean it included some themes that I have yet seen in HR but the execution of it seemed quick and the story in between dragged and I didn't connect well with the characters. However, it didn't deserve a 2.
Caz
I've given this an A- for both narration and content at AudioGals, so that's 4.5 stars founded up.

I was really pleased to see that some of Lisa Kleypas’ older, previously un-recorded/out of print titles are making their way into audio format, and even moreso when Suddenly You popped up at Audible with Beverley A. Crick as the narrator. (I’m not so pleased that Tantor’s next foray into Ms. Kleypas’ backlist, Someone to Watch Over Me, uses one of the worst narrators I’ve ever heard, but that’s ano
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
Eh... I had big hopes and dreams for this one because everyone else seems to love it but it felt really cheesy and forced to me. Virgin... blah blah doesn't know she is pretty... blah blah. It just didn't bring anything to the table for me personally.

I also wasn't in the mood for this type of book when I read it so maybe that was part of the problem. I had really high expectations... unrealistically high I think. I'm going to try another Lisa Kleypas book because everyone raves about her. Maybe
Eastofoz
Jun 05, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Readers who like tastes of Emma Holly with their historicals
Recommended to Eastofoz by: Auntee
I don’t know if I should give this a 4 or a 4.5 because it’s got a mix of both. On the one side you’ve got that 4.5 read with a sexier than sexy alpha, Jack Devlin, who does some wickedly scorching sex scenes unlike anything I’ve ever seen in traditional historical romance (we’re talking glimpses of Emma Holly-like writing here!) but on the other side you’ve got a bit of slow start where you’re wondering when the ol’ party is ever going to get started! Maybe 4.5 stars is better because the coupl ...more
Heidi
Feb 11, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2020-goal, hf-romance
A chubby over-the-hill spinster for a heroine? Sign me up!!

But it was more of a “let’s get it on again” (and again and again) delivery system rather than an engaging story. Believe it or not, the bedroom scenes got tiresome after awhile. Yes, really!!

However, I was in need of a happy ending and Kleypas delivered it charmingly!!
Katrina Passick Lumsden
Sleep deprivation might be the cause of my higher than usual rating.

Or maybe it's Jack Devlin. I think I might be in love with that half Irish bastard.
God, I need some sleep.
Rane
This book was Hot,Hot,Hot! I think the steamiest so far I read from LK!

This book started off with a sensual level that was never totally far from the main story plot, although at times it would have gotten on my nerves but it only brought out more from the characters.

Jack Devlin was a great hero, with his dark sexy humor that could drive you up the walls at times or want to throw your arms around him and kiss him. With a harsh past the drove him to success. He wasn’t stuck-up or prideful and
Addie H
I am re-reading all my 5 star rated romance novels. There are 60 on my shelf. This is book 16.

(Tropes: Mistaken Identity, Wallflower/Spinster, Cougar, Scarred Hero, Culture/Class Divide, Love Triangle, Unrequited Love

This is how my 16th re-read held up.

Problematic favorite ☹

*****
She had lacked the good fortune of having been loved so greatly by a man that he would seek to join his life with hers. But did that mean she should forever be undesired, unwanted, unclaimed? There were perhaps twenty
Lana *Lifeinwordsandlyricscom*
Jul 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: standalones
“Set the world afire. Just let me hand you the matches.”

This would have been the most female empowerment I've seen in a historical romance if not for one little thing. It's probably not even a real thing for most people. For me - it's the difference between a five-star rating and four stars. And that thing is? Lack of any other action between all the Jack and Amanda scenes. It's like they don't even exist if they're not talking with or about each other.

See how that defeats the purpose?

Still, a f
ᴥ Irena ᴥ
Jun 29, 2016 rated it liked it
3.5

Suddenly You is pretty much all in the blurb. That doesn't take away anything from the story though. Amanda Briars and Jack Devlin are wonderful together. The story has a bittersweet beginning and right from the moment you meet Amanda you want her to have all the happiness she could get. No, she isn't some whiny woman trying to catch a husband. She has made a decision for her thirtieth birthday and she isn't sorry.
'There were perhaps twenty thousand nights in a woman’s lifetime. For at le
Megan (BookWifeReviews)
Not my favorite... I hate Jack. HATE him. He was a manipulative little shit. And Amanda was so weak. Jack would kiss her and she would melt at his feet. And Im just here sitting on my couch like "girl get a freaking grip. Have some damn pride."

I feel like I would have really liked the story if I wasn't so mad about how Jack treated Amanda. He kissed and undressed her under false pretenses when they first met. He used that information to blackmail her into working for him. He used her inexperien
alicat ♡➹♡
My first romance by Lisa Kleypas - and it was great! I had a couple issues but overall I greatly enjoyed the passion between the two main characters.

Amanda is a novelist and self-described spinster at 30, yet her curiosity leads her to approach a madam about receiving a male "visitor" to help her discover what all the fuss is about. But the man who appears at her door is not a professional but someone sent by the madam with a sense of humor.

Amanda is adventurous and fun (though she does not se
Seffra
4 stars!

So I really wanted to re-visit a fav author of mine so I bought this book back in December but couldn't get to it until recently and booooyyyyy I was not disappointed!
Meet my Jack Devlin:
Meet my Amanda Briars:
description

So we begin with one of the most unique heroines in historical romance. Amanda Briars is a famous author who is a 30 year old spinster who wanted to lose her virginity so she hires a prostitute...Enters in Jack.... He's enraptured with her from her books and he soon becomes her publ
Chitra *CJ*
"Suddenly You" is the story of Amanda and Jack.

What a delightful book!

I love historicals. I love spinster romances. I love strong heroines. This book had a trifecta of wonderfulness.

The heroine is a famous novelist who is strictly "on the shelf". Having never found the ideal man who accepted her for being herself, she hires an escort for her thirtieth birthday to determine what the fuss is all about, and also be rid of her pesky virginity. What she doesn't realize is that not only is he not an e
Nenia ⚔️ Queen of Villainy ⚔️ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

I read this book for the Unapologetic Romance Readers' New Years 2017 Reading Challenge. For more info about what this is, click here.

I've been wanting to read this standalone by Lisa Kleypas for a while now. One, it's a standalone, so I don't have to worry about acquiring the rest of the must-have series; and two, it's about a heroine who is a writer and a hero who is a publisher, and there's plenty of delightful book chatter, which I l
Eilonwy
Feb 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Eilonwy by: edge of bubble
3-1/2 stars, rounded up
Spinster Amanda Briars is hitting her thirtieth birthday, making her an old maid for sure. But as a novelist with a good income, she can do something about one aspect of that. Determined not to die a virgin, she visits a madam known to supply both men and women and arranges for her “gift” to be delivered to her own doorstep. The man who arrives is surprisingly tender and attentive -- but also considerably more than he admits.
I really enjoyed this romance! Amanda was an in

• The Secret Diaries of Miss Miranda Cheever (Bevelstoke, #1)
  • Nine Rules to Break When Romancing a Rake (Love By Numbers, #1)
  • A Week to Be Wicked (Spindle Cove, #2)
  • Romancing the Duke (Castles Ever After, #1)
  • The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie (Mackenzies & McBrides, #1)
  • A Rogue by Any Other Name (The Rules of Scoundrels, #1)
  • The Wallflower Wager (Girl Meets Duke, #3)
  • One Good Earl Deserves a Lover (The Rules of Scoundrels, #2)
  • Eleven Scandals to Start to Win a Duke's Heart (Love By Numbers, #3)
  • Ten Ways to Be Adored When Landing a Lord (Love By Numbers, #2)
  • Lord of Scoundrels (Scoundrels, #3)
  • When a Scot Ties the Knot (Castles Ever After, #3)
  • Any Duchess Will Do (Spindle Cove, #4)
  • A Lady by Midnight (Spindle Cove, #3)
  • And Then He Kissed Her (Girl Bachelors, #1)
  • Say Yes to the Marquess (Castles Ever After, #2)
  • Just Like Heaven (Smythe-Smith Quartet, #1)
  • Do You Want to Start a Scandal (Spindle Cove, #5; Castles Ever After, #4)