Start by marking “Bread and Chocolate” as Want to Read:
Bread and Chocolate

Bread and Chocolate

3.46  ·  Rating details ·  333 Ratings  ·  43 Reviews
A collection of short stories from one of our most popular novelists - the perfect gift. A rich and wonderful selection of short stories. A TV chef who specialises in outrageous cakes tempts a monk who bakes bread for his brothers; a surprise visitor invites mayhem into the perfect minimalist flat in the season of good will; a woman explains her unique view of straying hus ...more
Published December 2nd 2002 by HarperCollins (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Bread and Chocolate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bread and Chocolate

Pragya
Dec 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Read more reviews at Reviewing Shelf.

I am not much for short stories so when I pick one up, I am either in the mood for something short or am not in the mood for anything and can't decide. But this, my my, was a brilliant choice. I finished it in less than 20 hours on a workday which is saying a lot for a 250 page book.

I probably read one book by Gregory long long back. Oh wait, after a quick check on GR, I apparently haven't read a single one by her. I think something is fishy here. I have 4 b
E.M. Tippetts
Sep 08, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This short story collection is a real showcase of Philippa Gregory's talent. I'd enjoyed her historical fiction, but this collection shows that she doesn't just excel at research and period detail, nor does she need hundreds of pages to tell a story. These short stories are mostly modern day and are in a variety of viewpoints from third person, to third person limited, to first person. I'd recommend this to anyone who likes a rich story, but who might not have hours to sit and read. I carried it ...more
Fran Macilvey
Jan 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
'Bread and Chocolate' by Philippa Gregory

B&C is not 'amazing' but is one of these books that I have bought several times. I tend pass on books after I have read them, but the characters and events in these short stories have a tenacious quality: through the years, snippets of them float in and out of mind (especially when I am reading other short stories)so that I have now been driven to buy another copy. It would probably be simpler just to keep it for a few years. B&C seems to have bec
Khaimah Bawingan
Jan 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A collection of touching stories, some even heart-wrenching. Set in different periods, the stories are written in a thoughtful manner- vivid but not overwhelming. And yes, there will always be that little surprise at every end. Worth reading.
Jacqueline
Dec 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-2017
I'm not a fan of short stories. So at first I didn't enjoy this book, but then I realised that the author in each of her short stories was giving us a subtle message on life. Clever woman! I won't spoil it for you, but would encourage you to read it. I have changed my mind on short stories!
Lau
Feb 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stories
As any collection of short stories, there were some better than others but overall, I enjoyed this book. It was perfect for this time of year for me because I had to prepare exams and classes, so I was able to read one or two in between college and work.

Mostly all the stories revolved around women. They were either the main characters or the ones that caused a greater effect on the protagonists. I quite enjoyed the different kind of women that Philippa Gregory created and I rooted for them and
Damaskcat
Sep 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I hadn’t read anything by Philippa Gregory until I read this sparkling collection of seventeen short stories but I think I shall be reading at least some of her other books. The stories are a mixture of genres – historical, mystery, supernatural and stories about people going about their daily lives.

I enjoyed all the stories – which is unusual in such a collection – and I found them all to be of an equally high standard. I particularly liked the title story which features a monk who loves baking
Sharon
Jun 10, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nice collection of stories by great author Phillippa Gregory. As with any compilation, some stories are better that others. I found the book took a little time to come into its own. Each story is special and thought provoking in its own way. favourites are The Conjuring Trick (very spooky!), The Wave Machine (lovely and sweet), The Magic Box (again quite spooky) The Visitor (gave me a lovely glow and warmed the heart) and Catching the Bus (a tale of the special relationship between a clever gi ...more
Mary BG
Sep 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
5 stars might be a little too high, but I really enjoyed this short story collection. All 17 are completely original in their interpretations. Well written, easy reads they are a range of subjects including a bread baking monk, women betrayed by men in widely different ways, a PhD thesis gone wrong, and even a Santa story. Memorable characters, poignancy, humor, and worthy of continued contemplation. Loved all of them.
Book-a-neer
Jul 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: short-stories, europe
Wow! This book was really great. Phillipa Gregory writes really well. The short stories were all different scenarios and conflicts evoking different feelings. I was happy, sad, scared, hopeful... I didn't want the stories to end but at the same time I couldn't put the book down because I wanted to see what would happen in the end.

Definitely recommend.
Karina
Sep 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
What a stirring collection of deliciously crafted short stories from Phillippa Gregory! Connected only by the theme of strong female heroines, each tale is unique, scintillating and downright scary at times. Great writing, sinister characters and deep psychological turmoil abound in this fascinating collection. Well worth a read!
Nicki
Fabulous collection of short stories with lots of different genres. Don't be fooled by the title as its not all foodie stories. I haven't read anything else by the author but certainly want to after reading these. In fact I wouldn't mind owning a copy of this as I'm sure I'd enjoy reading them all again sometime.
Laurel
Dec 23, 2009 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this collection of stories by Philippa Gregory; in fact it's my introduction to her fiction. Particular favorites were "The Wave Machine" and "Going Downriver" (very dark humor). Reading "The Visitor" touched on a past life of mine in many ways, even though it was rather predictable.
JayeL
Feb 10, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012, audio, own
I think I may have read this before. I don't actually remember reading it, but the stories sounded familiar. A number of the stories were a little creepy or had an element of creepiness to them. The stories were well written, but they don't make me want to pick up any of the author's other books.
Natasha
Dec 13, 2013 rated it liked it
Quite a few were kinda depressing in a dark way, but well written.

The conjuring story I thought was scarier than The Woman in Black! but I'm not used to reading horrors so maybe it's not that scary...
JT
Feb 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Philappa's short stories remind me of those by Daphne du Maurier....they're either quirky, or dark. All of them are good and this is no exception. Plot lines are intriguing, characters are fleshed out and interesting, story lines are rich. It's an easy read and one for a long weekend of R&R.
Patsy Collins
Feb 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Great collection of stories.
Sammy
Jun 13, 2016 rated it liked it
Not really my genre, but not too terrible, I guess. The writing was adequate, and the stories were all well enough done.
JayeL
Jun 01, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short stories about food.
Melinda
Mar 13, 2009 rated it liked it
This is an interesting compilation of short stories - some of which are brilliantly written, truly endearing and emotional, while others seemed a bit lack-luster.
Jill Charlotte
Jul 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
wonderful- not usually mad about short stories but she is so surprising and such a sense of subtle humour ............
Shirley
Feb 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Greatest book of short stories I've read in years. All about relationships, and from many perspectives. A refreshing change of pace to pick up short stories that will hold your interest.
Annie
Jun 03, 2008 rated it really liked it
short stories - very good.
Saleris
Sep 09, 2009 rated it liked it
Nice reading. A quick read, though doesn't feel like it due to the fact the stories are interesting enough to get engrossed in and you forget the time. . . in a good way.
Elizabeth Moffat
Didn't really get on with this book, some of the stories are just a little too strange! Quite clever in parts however.
Marsailidh
Jul 21, 2008 rated it it was ok
Great book full of short stories.
Jan Parker
Aug 28, 2012 rated it liked it
Such a strange little book filled with twisted little short stories!
Amanda
Nov 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Great short stories - women getting their own back!
Ladiibbug
Dec 14, 2008 added it
Shelves: wish-list
Drei rec.
Reading For Sanity
May 27, 2009 rated it liked it
read this review and others at http://readingforsanity.blogspot.com/...
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Out of the Hitler Time
  • Bad Boy Jack
  • The Book of a Hundred Hands
  • Crafting a Daily Practice: A Simple Course on Self-Commitment
  • The House Of Lanyon (Exmoor Saga, #1)
  • The Mercenary's Price
  • The Adoption
  • Seduction by the Book
Philippa Gregory was an established historian and writer when she discovered her interest in the Tudor period and wrote the novel The Other Boleyn Girl, which was made into a TV drama and a major film. Published in 2009, the bestselling The White Queen, the story of Elizabeth Woodville, ushered in a new series involving The Cousins’ War (now known as The War of the Roses) and a new era for the acc ...more