Start by marking “The Wednesday Daughters” as Want to Read:
The Wednesday Daughters

Read Excerpt

The Wednesday Daughters

(Wednesday #2)

Meg Waite Clayton, nationally bestselling author of The Wednesday Sisters, returns with a compassionate, wise, and enthralling new novel of mothers and daughters, best friends who become family, and secrets and dreams passed down through the generations.

It is early evening when Hope Tantry arrives at the small cottage in England’s pastoral Lake District where her mother, Ally, spent
Published July 16th 2013 by Ballantine Books (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Wednesday Daughters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wednesday Daughters

The Help by Kathryn StockettThe Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsGone Girl by Gillian FlynnThe Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk KiddWater for Elephants by Sara Gruen
Best Beach Reads 2013
2,322 books — 4,355 voters
The Fault in Our Stars by John GreenThe Help by Kathryn StockettTo Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeThe Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsCatching Fire by Suzanne Collins
Smart Summer Reads
3,607 books — 3,994 voters

More lists with this book...

Meg Clayton
Mar 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Dear Wednesday Sisters fans,

Thanks so much to the delightfully many of you who suggested I write this sequel of sorts that I never meant to write. It was such a warm pleasure to rejoin these old friends and their now-grown daughters, and I would never have thought to do it if not for you. I hope the daughters find as comfortable a place in your affections as their mothers did, and as you have found in mine.

Warmly,
Meg
Lauri
Jul 08, 2013 rated it it was ok
I loved the Wednesday Sisters and gave it 5 stars. I think the only reason I gave the Wednesday Daughters 2 stars was because of that.

This book was dreadful. The final chapters tied it all together and I would like to say you could read those and know what was going on, but there were bits of information threaded throughout the book.

The book was confusing. I thought I was losing my memory because I couldn't keep the characters straight, but see others had the same problem
Ionia
Mar 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A very memorable book. There isn't a tremendous amount of action in this novel, but there is substance. This book will at times make you laugh, make you reminisce and even make you shed a few tears.

This novel is very much about people and the unbreakable bonds that form among the women in a family from generation to generation. There are mothers, daughters, sisters and friends and you will find yourself thinking of them long after the last page has been turned. The characters in this book are y
writer...
May 18, 2013 rated it did not like it
The one star given is, appropriately, 'did NOT like it'.

Nor could I continue reading it. It remains unfinished.

As to the writing, much of the beginning was actually garbled. Constant confusion of voices and multiple characters. It continued with each chapter change of undesignated viewpoints.

The only writing I valued was the fictional discussions with Beatrix Potter, the deceased mother's unpublished work in progress. Each chapter opened with a Potter quote which was del
Jun 08, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2013
Loved the Wednesday Sisters but thought this one was a huge mess. I felt like it started in the middle because I had no idea who anyone was (even though I read the first book!) and even after I figured out who was who, like many other reviewers, I had a hard time following it. Absolutely terrible. I'm not even sure why I'm going it two whole stars.
Karen
Apr 06, 2013 rated it it was ok
I loved “The Wednesday Sisters,” so I was pretty excited when “The Wednesday Daughters” came out. I wanted to love this book, but there were too many structural oddities that prevented it. If Clayton wanted to be omniscient, as she clearly did to craft the story as such, then why didn’t she choose third-person omniscient? It would have flushed out the almost head-hopping first chapters that felt scattered and frenetic. Fortunately, the pace did slow down later on. Telling the story from Hope’s p ...more
May 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book once I got into it. The descriptions of the locales are wonderful and they make the reader feel like they are there in the Lake District of England. The interactions of the characters are intriguing. The way that Beatrix Potter is woven in, gives the book an added dimension. I would definitely recommend this book!
Pam Camel
Jun 19, 2013 rated it did not like it
Dry, boring, monotone and confusing. I don't have a clue what I read. I was excited about it because I loved the wendsday sisters. The wendsday Daughters leave a lot to be desisted.
Jessica
Feb 16, 2015 rated it it was ok
As beautiful as the writing in this book is, it almost makes me feel bad to say how much I did not enjoy the book. Almost. Too many characters introduced too quickly who's voices are all too similar. I spent the first half of the book thoroughly confused as to which woman I was reading about or who was talking because they all sound the same. They all quote the same classic authors and have all the same (non-funny) humor. Therefore, I found it very hard to care about them. I pretty much only sor ...more
Julie
The Wednesday Daughters by Meg Waite Clayton is a 2013 Random House /Ballantine publication. I was provided a copy of this book as a part of the Library Thing early review program in exchange for an honest review.

I will be honest and confess I did not read the first book- The Wednesday Sisters. I didn't even realize this book was a sequel. So, it goes without saying that you can read this one as a stand alone, but it might enhance this one for you if you had the back story.

The daugh
Bookish Indulgenges with b00k r3vi3ws
Hope Tantry along with her friends, Anna and Julie visits the cottage where her mother spent the last years of her life. Hope’s mother’, Ally, had used this cottage as a retreat to finish her biography on Beatrix Potter. Hope knew very little about the time her mother spent here.
Hope soon realises that there’s a lot of things that she did not know about her mother – like the friendly neighbour next door and the encoded journal that ally left hidden in a drawer. Hope is overwhelmed by her grief,
Melissa
I’m being generous with 3 stars.

I had high hopes for the sequel (or complement) to The Wednesday Sisters. Unfortunately, the book takes on the frenetic, chaotic rambling of too many undefined characters, with too many rushed details, with too many run-on sentences, to care about. There isn't a clear backstory, but even knowing the history (admittedly read a few years ago) I was terribly confused about where the storyline landed, and when.

At about the halfway mark, however, the books pace final
Peebee
Jul 03, 2013 rated it it was ok
I liked the prequel to this book, The Wednesday Sisters, quite a bit, as well as The Four Ms. Bradwells, so of course was looking forward to this one. What a disappointment! First, the Beatrix Potter thing just does not work. It wasn't interesting, it made the plot confusing, and if you're not a Potter fan, it's just annoying. Then, I can appreciate the challenge of writing a sequel attuned to fine line between not boring the readers who read the prior book and not confusing the readers who haven't, but this book ...more
Holli
Feb 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
It took me a little bit to get into this novel mainly because it had been so long since I had read The Wednesday Sisters and I was trying to familiarize myself with the characters again. Once I realized that those characters are just on the fringes of this novel I could relax into this one and lose myself in a new set of people. I really liked this book. Meg did a fantastic job of weaving people in and out of the story and I loved how different yet intertwined everyone was. Good read!!
M.J.
Mar 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I got this as an advanced reading copy and loved it. The Wednesday Sisters was a terrific novel and this is equally charming and absorbing. Clayton gives us wonderful characters with heart who stay with you long after the novel is over.
Catherine
May 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
A strong emotional story of mothers, daughters, sisters and friends. I loved the little details that brought you into story, like the slipper tub and the Beatrix Potter stories. A book to be enjoyed.
Mary
Feb 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes contemporary fiction
Recommended to Mary by: Bookmooch
During the late 1960s, five extraordinary young women - Frankie, Linda, Kath, Ally and Brett - forged an amazing friendship that endured for a lifetime. Although the ladies initially had little in common with each other beyond a shared love of literature and watching the ‘Miss America Pageant’ together, their casual bond quickly blossomed into a much stronger relationship than any of the women could ever have imagined. ‘The Wednesday Sisters’ as they began calling themselves, soon realized that ...more
David Edmonds
Jan 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, own, read-2013, signed, arc
So, I'm not going to lie. When I received The Wednesday Daughters in the mail, I anxiously picked it right up and started reading, having loved Meg Waite Clayton's two previous novels. Then I thought for a moment that I was reading something a little too familiar. I felt like The Wednesday Daughters was treading too similar waters, that the characters from The Wednesday Sisters had been dropped into the setting of The Four Ms Bradwells, where friends go off to a cottage in the woods to deal with a major life change. Well, I was w ...more
Artemiz
Apr 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley, 2014
Meg Waite Clayton's book The Wednesday Daughters is absolutely wonderful book about families - immediate and extended families - about friends, about love, about lovers and spouses, about children and parents, about books and authors, about old and new memories, about losses and grief, about finding things you didn't know were lost and things you thought you lost forever, and most of all about not losing the love of the loved ones, who are no longer with us.

It was really deep and emo
Patty Mccormick
May 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was a great book it is about 3 women who are the Wednesday daughters and they come together after Hope’s mother dies. They bring her ashes to leave them in England’s Lake District where her mother went to write. I liked the characters in this book, they were real people to me. I enjoyed the excerpts from the Beatrix Potter stories at the beginning of each chapter. I found it a little weird at first that the ghost of Beatrix Potter was following Hope’s mom around all the time, but you get us ...more
Jan Stites
Feb 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
What I liked most about Meg Clayton Waite’s new novel The Wednesday Daughters is its gentleness. Maybe because so much of what we read or hear about these days is grim, grim, grim, I felt eased into a softer world every time I opened the book. There’s sadness and loss recounted in the story, of course, but there are also short passages of description of England’s Lake District or the well realized details of a sunset that are captivating. Much of the book involves a reimagined Beatrix Potter, an ...more
Elle
Aug 02, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: light-reading
First of all I want to say that I LOVED The Wednesday Sisters, so I was thrilled when I saw The Wednesday Daughters. I snapped it up. I also want to say that I LOVE Meg Waite Clayton's writing style. However, I was often confused with what was going on in this book. To me it seemed to be all over the place. Then it would come together and I became absorbed in the story... THEN just like that the story became disjointed again making it hard to follow.
The end tied it up nicely, but, for me t
Lori Spielman
Feb 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I was fortunate to receive an advanced copy of this wonderful book. A fan of The Wednesday Sisters, I had been eagerly awaiting another "Wednesday" story. In contrast to their mothers, I found The Wednesday Daughters more accomplished, their issues more complex, their relationships more conflicted. Set in the English Lake District, Meg Waite Clayton's descriptions are vivid and alluring, her prose lyrical. Fans of The Wednesday Sisters, along with fans of Beatrix Potter, will flock to this book.
Jane Wilson
Jul 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
There are many facets to this little gem of a novel. The Wednesday Daughters are members of an extraordinary extended family, whose lives have been intricately interwoven. Their gently recounted stories are told with tenderness and great insight.

The charm and rich literary history of the English Lake District enhances the narrative. This is an exquisitely written, multi-layered story, replete with whimsical imaginary conversations with Beatrix Potter's ghost. It’s a great read.
Anita
May 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library
Many times sequels do not live up to the initial book. Not so in this case! In fact I actually liked the sequel better. Maybe it was because I could relate to the daughters better than the mothers, but I also loved the Beatrice Potter and English Lake Country imagery. Now I want to visit and read children's stories again.
Ray
Jun 06, 2016 rated it it was ok
Oh, I am so very disappointed! I loved The Wednesday Sisters, and I and hoped this would be as good, and it just isn't. I almost stopped reading it many times, but I couldn't because I thought it had to get better. By the end all the parts come together, but it's just not what I was hoping for or expecting.
Sharon Huether
A take off from Wednesday sisters. The daughters take a trip to England. Hope, Anna Page and Julie arrive in the Lake District to help Hope sort through her mothers things. It brought back bittersweet memories. Hope and her friends sort through their own problems. It draws them closer together.
Terelyn Marks
Feb 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
I liked The Wednesday Sisters a lot more. While there were parts of this I could relate to, there were other parts I simply couldn't and found I really did care. It gave me urge to swat the whiner and tell her to 'grow the hell up and get over yourself!'
Jane Ciabattari
Aug 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Mother-daughter relationships are at the heart of this beautifully told and moving novel, which combines loving connections among friends, the mystery of a writers' coded notebooks, and a Lake District setting.
Peggy
Dec 05, 2016 rated it it was ok
I couldn't finish this book, I just couldn't follow the story, it jumped way to much for me. This is the first book I read of Clayton, I read the reviews and I feel better it just wasn't me. I can tell she is a good writer, I just didn't like this book.

• Hour of the Rat (Ellie McEnroe, #2)
  • The Search Angel
  • A Simple Thing
  • The Doctor and the Diva
  • The Glass Wives
  • Studio Saint-ex
  • Why Can't I Be You
  • By Fire, By Water
  • Murder Below Montparnasse  (Aimee Leduc Investigations #13)
  • The Last Will of Moira Leahy
  • In Need of a Good Wife
  • The Shortest Way Home
  • Seduction (Reincarnationist, #5)
  • Kitchen Chinese: A Novel About Food, Family, and Finding Yourself
  • The Lake House
  • Glow
  • Death in the Floating City (Lady Emily, #7)
  • Blue Jeans and Coffee Beans
Meg Waite Clayton is a New York Times bestselling author of the forthcoming THE LAST TRAIN TO LONDON (HarperCollins, Sept 10, 2019), the #1 Amazon fiction bestseller BEAUTIFUL EXILES, the Langum-Prize honored national bestseller THE RACE FOR PARIS -- recommended reading by Glamour Magazine and the BBC, and an Indie Next Booksellers' pick -- and THE WEDNESDAY SISTERS, one of Entertainment Weekly's "25 Essential Best Friend ...more

Wednesday (2 books)