Start by marking “The Nature of Code” as Want to Read:
The Nature of Code

The Nature of Code

How can we capture the unpredictable evolutionary and emergent properties of nature in software? How can understanding the mathematical principles behind our physical world help us to create digital worlds? This book focuses on a range of programming strategies and techniques behind computer simulations of natural systems, from elementary concepts in mathematics and physic ...more
Published December 13th 2012 by The Nature of Code

To ask other readers questions about The Nature of Code, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Nature of Code

Antonio
Jul 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I think this book is the best choice if you're starting in the world of Computational Science and simulation.

But not only! If you know how to simulate or programming, but you want to learn how to start programming some complex systems (like neural networks, for example) this book is great. Or even if you're planning to become a videogame programmer, this book also is a good choise!

The language is very simple and is really easy to read and follow. It starts from zero, you don't need to know almo
Alexandre
Dec 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reference
Processing... mas muito divertido. Mesmo sem programar em Processing, vale a pena dar uma olhada nos capítulos sobre celular automata, fractals, genetic algorithms e neural networks

Dá pra ler grátis no natureofcode.com
Lucas
Mar 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book took me the longest to read. I read it in parts and not in any order.

I have this book to thank for my interests in the link between biology and computers.
So many things have been inspired by or are connected to nature in computer science: neural networks, genetic algorithms and fractals to name a few.

It has also been an inspiration for many of my projects. The amount of fascinating information explained in such simple ways is amazing. How complicated subjects are made visual in variou
Oscar Rodrigues
Jul 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The best thing about this book is its simplicity and elegance in describing the patterns we find in nature through code. It's great for learning programming, physics, math or art. Or, even better, all of the above!
Ben
Dec 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Gentle introduction to OOP using Processing, showcasing its tremendous power.
Corrado Canepari
Oct 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Nature Of Code, by Daniel Shiffman, is a wonderfully written book, which is not only useful for learning how to code certain simulations, but also to learn how to analyze a phenomenon and recreate it in smaller scale through code.

Even though it may seem like this is more of an advanced book, in reality it requires almost no programming knowledge to read, and can be picked up by anyone.

Shiffman's writing style is fluid and the low register used throughout the piece really helps with grasping
Richard
Jan 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I've decided to put some of the geeky maths books I read up on here, at least the good ones, and this one is good!

You can make things fly about the screen! And give those things basic intelligence and all sorts!

Its written for processing, but its more of a conceptal book than a processing one. Once you get those concepts, you can apply it anywhere. If you want to do AI, Steering Behaviours, Motion Graphics, even XSI ICE and Houdini effects, this book will really help you(even though its not abou
Franck Chauvel
This book is a nice and light introduction to artificial intelligence, from the perspective of producing nice visualisations. If you are more interested in the AI parts than the visualisation with the Processing platform, you may want to check out other books.
Abdelhadi Naimi
Mar 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book in it self is art, it taught me a lot about coding from simple physics engines to neural networks.
It didn't go into much details into its subjects but it was really fun to read and try out the code and mess around with it.
Patrick Arminio
May 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I love this book, everything was nicely well explained with good examples. The only bad chapter was the last one (about neural networks) which didn't have too many informations about them, but since this is an hard topic I won't blame the author, in fact the introduction was good :)
David Lomas
Nov 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Very good and simple explanations
Hiéroglyphe
Jun 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
If you're into Artificial Life, this is a must have.
Alexandre Teles
Mar 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great book. It summarizes the concepts of nature, movement and physic laws from our world to code in a very explanatory and intuitive way. It's a must have book to understand how to program in real world, so it's good for math, physics, games and experimentations.
Giuseppe Tavera
Feb 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
La parte relativa agli algoritmi genetici e agli automi cellulari è meravigliosa, non posso che consigliare la lettura di questo libro a chi si interessa veramente al mondo della programmazione.
Derrick Schultz
Outdated version
Olivier Wellmann
Great book

amazing book on sw development. goes deep with many interesting topics and aspects covered through-out. if you want to re-discover all. this is a fascinating book.
Justin Smith
Aug 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A book for people with little programming knowledge, while still being worthwhile for those with experience.
carl patton mckinney
  • The Well-Grounded Rubyist
  • Tmux: Productive Mouse-Free Development
  • Design Patterns in Ruby
  • On Lisp: Advanced Techniques for Common Lisp
  • The Computational Beauty of Nature: Computer Explorations of Fractals, Chaos, Complex Systems, and Adaptation
  • The Linux Programming Interface: A Linux and Unix System Programming Handbook
  • Metaprogramming Ruby
  • Seven Languages in Seven Weeks
  • How to Design Programs: An Introduction to Programming and Computing
  • Objects on Rails

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »