Start by marking “The Black Reckoning (The Books of Beginning, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Black Reckoning (The Books of Beginning, #3)

The Black Reckoning (The Books of Beginning #3)

4.23  ·  Rating details ·  2,504 Ratings  ·  363 Reviews
The final book in the bestselling Books of Beginning trilogy that began with "The Emerald Atlas," which the "New York Times" called "a new Narnia for the tween set."
The adventures of siblings Kate, Michael, and Emma come to a stunning conclusion when they must find the last Book of Beginning--the Book of Death--before the Dire Magnus does, for when all three books are un
Published March 2015 by Random House

Lula McCuela
Jun 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Oct 26, 2012 marked it as to-read

EDIT: It now has a title! Yes! And that title also makes the target and plot of this book racially ambiguous!
Aly the Reading Rabbit
Aug 17, 2013 marked it as to-read
Why the hell is this taking so long to come out!?!?! No cover?!?! Not even a description?!?! No publishing expectation date?!?! Come on John! Get your rear in gear!

Edit October 9 2013: Well I see I have been corrected... Hmmm... We still need a cover... And I love waiting.
Nope Bye
Aug 22, 2013 marked it as ready-to-read
Please hurry!! I read the first to books and I hate waiting in suspense knowing that there's still more the of the story left to read. And also, I think the books should be a movie
Jan 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Anne Gilbert
Why is it taking so long for this book #3 to come out, I've already read the books of beginning the first book and second book in the series and now I'm waiting to read the 3 rd book in the series cause the second book ends where I have to wait for the next book and these books were really awesome and I need to find out when the 3rd book will come out and hopefully soon!
Dec 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: juvenile-fiction
Great ending of the series but really sad. It wasn't really a completely happy ending, but I guess that is life. My favorite character died and I couldn't completely enjoy the book. I am glad it was finally published, though.
Mrs. O' Leary
Aug 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I love this series because it's appropriate for seven year olds and still highly entertaining for fifteen year olds. John Stephen reminds me of Rick Riordan in this sense. I've been reading this series since the first, The Emerald Atlas, was released. I'm sad its taking so long between books, but I understand that with as long as they are it will take a while to write. Eagerly awaiting the Wibberly family being reunited! Please hurry, John Stephens!
Just wow. a worthy end to a series that will always be with me. does love for a book count? (Emma looking at you) I never thought this last book would be so emotional, john stephens really shows some of his best writing in this last installment. he deserves all the praise he can get for this. it's been a while since I felt this way about a book or series. I dare say this trilogy is in my top five favourite series of all time
Jan 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fairy-tales
This series... honestly, I don't know what to say, I love it so much. This is one of those stories that will stay with you forever. So many ups and downs, so gratifying in their complexity, and so many beautiful moments of humanity and love. I'm sad to see it end, but at the same time the ending is so satisfying, and just as it should be. Thank you John Stephens. Please write lots more.
Jenny E.
Man ska definitivt inte vänta alltför länge mellan böckerna i trilogin. Det känns som att jag gjorde det. Det är nog delvis orsaken till att den fick 3 stjärnor istället för 4.
May 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, jugendbuch
Zum Inhalt

Dieses Mal geht es ohne Unterbrechung weiter und die Handlung schließt direkt an den Vorgänger an. Der grässliche Magnus rüstet zum Krieg - doch Emma, die jüngste der drei Geschwister, muss ihren eigenen Kampf ausfechten. All die Wut, die sie seit Jahren in sich trägt, spielt sie ihrem Feind in die Hände und das kleine Mädchen muss viele Hürden überwinden, um dem Schicksal zu entgehen und die Welt vor dem Untergang zu bewahren.
Aber auch ihre älteren Geschwister Kate und Michael haben e
Katja Berger
Jeg må indrømme at jeg desværre ikke faldt helt så pladask for denne bog, som mange andre danske læsere gjorde. Den var ikke dårlig, men jeg synes desværre ikke at den formåede at ramme toppen – Mest af alt fordi den haltede på de samme områder som Den Rubinrøde Krønike.

Jeg var ikke helt vildt med Emmas jagt på Den Kulsorte Protokol, og jeg synes den kom utrolig nemt til hende, som om forfatteren bare skulle have det overstået, så han kunne komme videre til det endelige drama. John Stephens form
May 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is the final book in The Books of Beginning series and ties up the story nicely. There is a lot of action and dimensional travel. I ended up enjoying it a lot.

Emma, Kate, and Michael need to get the third and final Book of Beginning, The Book of Death, before the Dire Magnus does. However, the getting of the third book is left largely to Emma; only she can journey to the Land of the Dead and retrieve The Book of Death. Additionally the three siblings have found out that The Books of Beginni
Aug 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
When is this coming out? At least give me a title and a cover! I have been patiently waiting since last October, and there is still no news yet!

Yea!!!!!!!! There is a title for the book! It sounds so cool it almost makes up for all the time it will take before the book comes out.
Oct 29, 2013 marked it as to-read
Excited to finally learn the pub date for this - sad to know that it is August of 2014 - but at least now I can stop hunting the date! Oh, and the name ... The Black Reckoning!
Sep 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It took me quite a while to finish "The Black Reckoning". While it has many of the positive characteristics that I already found in "The Emerald Atlas" and "The Fire Chronicle" I must admit that I do not like it as much.
One thing that I did really like - and this is something I already mentioned in my review of the first two books of the trilogy though I must admit that I can only talk about the German versions - is the way this book is presented. A lovely cover, a nice title and an interesting
No surprises, and far too much time spent putting up with the brat of the family, but worth reading and an enjoyable wrap-up to the series. |

I really wanted to be able to give this four stars, but I just can't. I had been looking forward to this book for ages, and over the past two days I reread books one and two so the story would be fresh in my mind. Unfortunately this just cemented that the first two books were better. All groundwork and foreshadowing of the events in book three were so blat
Emily Andrus
Apr 23, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: middle-grade
This book was a loooooong time coming after the first two in the series. Which I read so long ago, I don't even have their reviews on this blog. Or anywhere, really. But I knew that I loved them, and waited eagerly for this one...only to be a tad disappointed. The most likely reason being that I just forgot the main parts of the story and had lost my real appreciation for it. So, I'll try to review it in a more subjective manner...

Emma is a really annoying character. But in an on-purpose, sort o
Jul 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Soo...This is one of my favourite book series now!

(view spoiler)
Woah okay
What can I say? I really love all three books. But the second and the third were more intense. I am sure that someday i will gladly re-read these books!
Aug 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is not the ending I would have wanted - it wasn't as strong as the previous two installments, but it's still loads better than most of the series fiction for middle readers that's out there. I love these characters and I'm sad this is the end of my journey with them. I still believe this is the best American attempt at a Rowling-like story series. Well done. Please write more, John Stephens!
Apr 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Sandy Irwin
A fully satisfactory and engaging end to the trilogy. There were definitely more than one part that reminded me of both Harry Potter & The Lord of the Rings. which is why I only gave it 4 stars. But the story was interesting and exciting.
Nov 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Es war soooooo toll ! Nur zu empfehlen :) Habe wirklich versucht es zu genießen und es langsam zu lesen und nicht wie die beiden Bände davor. Ich liebe einfach die Story und wie sie aufgebaut ist. Das Buch ist relativ komplex und doch versteht man alles gut.
Richtig toll :D
Nov 16, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-grade
While I did enjoy this last installment. I definitely don't think it was as good or maybe as refreshing as the previous two books. It's nothing you haven't read before, but it was cute and I thought the ending to the series was good.
ultimate reader
Jun 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
yeah, what is taking so long
Feb 16, 2016 rated it liked it
"He stopped rambling and looked into her eyes. As always happened, he was pulled into a private magical world that belonged solely to the two of them."
Feb 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I can truly say that I now know the meaning of the word bittersweet.
Goodreads Librari...: two authors, same name 3 20 Feb 22, 2015 08:10PM
Goodreads Librari...: Changed Release Date 3 28 Apr 08, 2014 08:39AM
What should the third book in the series of the books of beginning be called? 5 82 Mar 29, 2014 08:58PM
WRITE FASTER 2 6 Dec 11, 2013 04:39PM
  • The Triad of Finity (Oliver Nocturne, #6)
  • Rosen und Seifenblasen (Verliebt in Serie, #1)
  • Sand der Zeit (Wanderer #1)
  • Glasgow RAIN: Küsse im Regen
  • Two For Eternity
  • The Dragonlord's Heir (The Ascalon Trilogy, #1)
  • Die Magie zwischen den Zeilen (BookElements, #1)
  • Rise of the Guardians Movie Novelization
  • Path of Beasts (The Keepers, #3)
  • How to Betray a Dragon's Hero (How to Train Your Dragon, #11)
  • Darkest Night (Department 19, #5)
  • Was ich dich träumen lasse
  • The Ascension: A Super Human Clash (The New Heroes/Quantum Prophecy, #5)
  • Moonkind (Winterling, #3)
  • Quest for the Secret Keeper (Oracles of Delphi Keep, #3)
  • The Sandman and the War of Dreams (The Guardians #4)
  • The Unmapped Sea (The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place, #5)
  • The Case of the Time-Capsule Bandit (Randi Rhodes, Ninja Detective, #1)

John Stephens spent ten years working in television and was executive producer of Gossip Girl and a writer for Gilmore Girls and The O.C. He holds an MFA from the University of Virginia. John and his wife have a dog named Bug and live in Los Angeles. His debut book 'The Emerald Atlas' is the first in a series of
More about John Stephens...

The Books of Beginning (3 books)
  • The Emerald Atlas (The Books of Beginning, #1)
  • The Fire Chronicle (The Books of Beginning, #2)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• The Silent Shield (Kingfountain #5)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $3.99 $2
  • Gateway to Fourline (The Fourline Trilogy, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Scourge of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Nightstalkers (Area 51: The Nightstalkers, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Book of Truths (Area 51: The Nightstalkers, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Rift (Area 51: Nightstalkers, #3)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Blight of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #2)
    $3.99 $2
  • The Forsaken Throne (Kingfountain #6)
  • Caraval (Caraval, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Rebel Genius
    $6.38 $2.99
  • Time Patrol (Area 51: The Nightstalkers, #4)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Secret Hour (Midnighters, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The King's Traitor (Kingfountain, #3)
  • Fear the Drowning Deep
    $16.99 $1.99
  • Insignia (Insignia, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Hollow Crown (Kingfountain #4)
  • Moving Mars
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Blood Rose Rebellion
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Wizard at Large (Magic Kingdom of Landover, #3)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Glass Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Final Trade (The Dominion Trilogy, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Flamecaster (Shattered Realms, #1)
    $4.09 $1.99
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Wretched of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #1)
  • Timequake