Start by marking “fml” as Want to Read:
fml

fml

There’s more than one way to get the girl in this fun and fast-paced novel about one epic party and a kiss that could change everything.

Tonight’s the night: Simon’s big chance to finally get with Cassie. Cassie, who he’s loved for ages. Cassie, who is newly boyfriend-free. Cassie, who just happens to be throwing the biggest party of the year. Simon’s plan is simple: He’ll
Published June 25th 2013 by Simon Pulse (first published June 23rd 2013)

Start your review of fml
Shaun Hutchinson
May 29, 2012 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
If you loved Deathday, you're going to love FML. If you hated Deathday, I still think you're going to love FML.

The kind of bawdy, zany humor I tapped for Deathday is the sort of thing I think an author can only get away with once in a lifetime. So while FML still has plenty of funny moments, it's also got a lot of heart, a lot of sweet moments, and a lot of smooching.

I'm immensely proud of this book and I think that if you're looking for a great book about real people struggling to figure out t
Jon
Dec 03, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Seen at Scott Reads It
Have you ever seen any of those teenager movies where the guy crushes on a girl for years and finally works up the courage to prove he likes her at a party? If you have seen any of those raunchy movies then you're already familiar with the premise of fml by Shaun Hutchinson.

Simon Cross is your average geeky teenager who falls in love with the most popular girl in his school. You know him as "that guy" from those movies I previously mentioned. Simon Cross is a likeable c
Jessica ❥Chatterbooks Book Blog❥
I picked this up because it seemed like it would be a lot like the movie, Can't Hardly Wait, which I loved as a teenager. In some ways, it was. FML is about a guy that has been obsessed with a girl for years and decides to finally tell her at a party now that she has finally broken up with her boyfriend.

Simon, the main character, passed up a chance to kiss Cassie, his dream girl, years ago and has regretted it ever since. Fate seems to provide the perfect opportunity for him to confes
Nev
Mar 04, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2020
2.5 - With completing this book I’ve now read every full-length novel released by Shaun David Hutchinson (as of February 2020). While it has been interesting to go back and read his two earliest books, they definitely didn’t pack the same punch that his later books do.

fml follows Simon Cross as he goes to a party in his senior year of high school. From afar he’s been in love with a girl named Cassie since freshman year. Now that she’s broken up with her boyfriend Simon thinks this is his final
Andrew
Jun 27, 2020 rated it liked it
Intriguing...
Simon wants to tell the girl of his dreams that he loves her. He's got the perfect opportunity to do it: a party at Cassie (his dream girl)'s house. What begins as a night of light drinking, parties, and bartering for gossip, kisses or fun, swirls into a vortex of reality and fantasy as new friendships, enemies, and situations unwind in what may be the wildest night of Simon's life.

The secondary characters of Ben and Coop (the gay couple who are Simon's BFF's), Aja (Simon's rebound
Angela C
Aug 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: party
I never went to any real parties back when I was in high school (yeah, yeah, I was a dork), but if they were anything like the party in FML I really missed out during my teenage years.

If you’re in the mood for a fun, clever story featuring unique characters, a wild party, and a dose of alternate realities, FML is the book for you. Simon, the protagonist, has had a crush on Cassie, one of the most popular girls at school, for years. When he hears that she’s having a senior year blowout – and that
Sam
Jun 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
FML does something that I really haven’t read before in a non-science fiction/fantasy book, it takes the reader down two different alternative realities based on the single decision of the protagonist. What this split of realities does is allow readers to see the full story without characters seeming to spill their guts so that the readers know what’s going on. Not only that but the different realities play off each other switching right when the normal progression of a story would begin to fall ...more
Delaney razo
Sep 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Book review of David Hutchinson’s FML
In the realistic fiction book FML, Simon who’s A love struck teenager is fighting to tell the girl of his dreams how he really feels about her. It’s the end of senior year and this is the last party before they all go off to college and regret all the chances they didn’t take. Simon took Cassie on a date freshman year and he’s been head over heels with her ever since. Now 3 years later he’s finally going to bring her the one item that he knows will prove hi
DJ
Mar 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Ever see Can't Hardly Wait or Sliding Doors? Or how about both together? Because that's exactly what fml is...

Simon Cross. Guy. In life long love with Cassie Castillo. Who has a boyfriend, Eli...well, maybe ex-boyfriend. Who he missed his shot with in the ninth grade. Who Simon vows to kiss by the end of the night at her house party.

At least that's what he promises his best friends (and dating duo) Ben and Coop while at the diner that night.

REALITY BITES - one direction this story can go. The re
Liz
Jun 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I had to read this book as soon as I heard about it. Why? Because Shaun David Hutchinson took on the same basic idea that I did for my upcoming debut, ASK AGAIN LATER. How weird is that? Like authors need any more proof that there are no original ideas, right?

FML was tons of fun, and definitely captured the chaos of that one epic party everyone remembers for the rest of their lives. Really enjoyable characters and believable events.
Dahlia
Jul 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was a lot of fun and made me laugh out loud a bunch, which I always welcome in a book. It's basically exactly "Can't Hardly Wait" with a "Sliding Doors" construction, so it's hard to give it any points for originality, but it was a really enjoyable, funny read with an always-welcome diverse cast.
Natalie
Dec 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Did my life change as a result of reading this? No.
Did I find it hard to put down? Yes.

When I was in high school, there was no movie I watched more often than Can't Hardly Wait. I have used the line, "I can't feel my legs. I HAVE NO LEGS!" more times than I care to admit. The similarities between this book and that movie are as follows:

-Covers the span of one whopping night at a party that none of us have ever actually attended in real life.
-Main character pines after seemingly unobtainable gi
Cristi-Lael
Jun 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
This book was not as good as I had hoped it would be. But then, it wasn't as bad as I feared, either, so I'm feeling pretty good about it, all told.
There were parts that I thought were really good; hilarious or poignant. But there also were parts I thought were not so good; raunchy or tropey.
However, taken as a whole, the book was enjoyable and I liked reading it.
Lauren Bradshaw
Aug 07, 2017 rated it did not like it
J. Taylor
Aug 23, 2019 rated it liked it
2.5 Cooper and Ben are some friends to have in your corner and I was so much invested in thier relationship then I was in the main characters entire life.
eileen
Check out more of my reviews at ***Singing and Reading in the Rain***!

FML, surprisingly, wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Sure there were issues, but overall I found it to be quirky and fun.

With our premise a teenager in love/ obsessed with another girl, I was as reluctant as an unprepared student taking his or her final exam. Our main character Simon Cross was, to some extent, obsessive and annoying, but his behavior was managed so it didn't come off as intensely insane some of the time.
Tammy Dahle
Jul 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
fml is a light and breezy, fun filled summer read.
It's a fast-paced, non-stop action tale that takes place on one crazy night in two alternate realities. Which basically means- this story that has two versions of the same party.
Confused? It can be a little at times.
I saw this movie once starring Gweneth Paltrow called Sliding Doors back in the 90's. The film alternates between two parallel universes, based on the two paths her character's life could take depending on whether or not she catche
Margie Gelbwasser
Who hasn't wondered what would happen if they got the guy/girl who got away? What would have occurred if you bucked up and talked to that object of your affection? The rest of have to live with the "what ifs," but luckily for Simon Cross, he doesn't. FML focuses on Simon and his unrequited love for Cassandra (Cassie), girl of his dreams. Sounds like any other teen story, right? Guy wants girl, guy lusts for girl, guy does crazy things and girl realizes she wants him, and--boom--awkward guy gets ...more
Jeanatte
Jun 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
OH MY ELI FUCKING HOROWITZ Simon is hilarious. It was drop dead funny, from the beginning to the end. Sure, Simon was a tool and a dick, but it was previously stated that Simon had dick-like tendencies. Sure, I could wish Simon to be less desperate and not an ass, but it probably would have made the book less entertaining. It was a pretty good read. Sure, the plot wasn't original but it sure did make up with the humor and realistic characters.
There are only a few things that bugged me:
**CONTAIN
Aly Miller
Oct 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is like a mystery you never know what is going to happen next! Simon fell in love with this girl Cassie he would always talk about her. Cassie trough a barter party and Simon's mission before the party was done was to get a kiss from Cassie! Simon did everything he could to get that kiss that night! At the very end of the party Simon got his kiss from Cassie but there was one problem It didn't go how Simon planed! He thought It would be amazing but it was nothing like he imagined and h ...more
Philip Siegel
Jul 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Fun, light contemporary YA. It's like Can't Hardly Wait meets Sliding Doors. Great male POV that I would recommend to both guy and girl readers. Finds clever ways to make the two alternate realities intertwine without being repetitive. Gets a little over-the-top by the end, but never ceases to entertain!
s.
Sep 04, 2013 rated it liked it
This book was hilarious from the very beginning. Because of the comedy, I was easily drawn in and could not put it down. It wasn't the greatest piece of literature and it was a tad predictable BUT it was definitely enjoyable. It was a fun, easy, fast paced read with tons of cursing and realistic teenage events.
Kat
Sep 02, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed this book on my vacation in Mexico. Not 100% sure if it was because I had absolutely nothing to do or because it was just THAT good.

It's not like every stereo typical romance book you've read and the aspect of two alternatives makes it even better!
Kris
Nov 07, 2014 rated it liked it
A little too simplistic at times and maybe a bit melodramatic, but it is a teen romance/angst book.

I rather liked the alternating scenarios. Reminded me a bit of the old Choose Your Own Adventure books.

Good writing style.

All in all a fun easy read.
Tammy Cordeiro (devadasi7)
Jul 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
at first, i didnt think i would like this book, but somewhere, without me even noticing it, i found myself rooting for simon!
Ebonique Felix
Dec 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
i love this book because i can relate to simone and Cassie.It is about real world problems that im facing myself
Yolanda
Sep 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Very good and Interesting!
Alyssa
May 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: free-reads
i think the very first book i've ever read by Shaun David Hutchinson was Deathday Letter. and then I read At the Edge of the Universe. just with those two books, i love reading his books! his tenacity in writing and the voices of his characters are just amazing, reckless, realistic and honest. that's why i love his books. it's more of his writing style that carries the whole story and I just love that.

ok FML! i actually had to google it to know the meaning (i know i suck!) this is another Rivete
Corielle Hayley
Nov 08, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: owned
I had said after reading Punkzilla that I was getting too old for a certain type of YA novel -- the ones full of partying and drinking and teens disobeying their parents. I don't mind these in service of a good story, but they rarely are. Alas, I had already purchased fml, so I read the damn thing anyway and...yep. Punks kids all over my lawn.

“People aren't meant to be perfect. We're all imperfect people looking for perfect moments to share with other imperfect people.”

So, fml uses the Sliding D
celina ♡
Oct 19, 2018 rated it did not like it
FML was less than mediocre. I couldn't relate to it at all - and not just because I'm not a high schooler. I didn't like how the entire book stretched out over one party. Come on. I much prefer plotlines that last over a few weeks at the least, not one measly night.

That must have been some damned good party, to last so long. To take up nearly 300 pages of time. I don't think I've ever attended one quite like it.

It's like the author is desperate for you to see the "good stuff" that they write.
« previous 1 3 next »
forgetful 3 8 Feb 06, 2015 02:42PM

• We Contain Multitudes
  • Cemetery Boys
  • The Walls Around Us
  • Insignia (Insignia, #1)
  • Shuri: A Black Panther Novel (Marvel)
  • Vortex (Insignia, #2)
  • We Are the Wildcats
  • The Lost Book of the White (The Eldest Curses, #2)
  • Where Dreams Descend (Kingdom of Cards, #1)
  • Catalyst (Insignia, #3)
  • The Haunted School (Goosebumps, #59)
  • Werewolf Skin (Goosebumps, #60)
  • The Invasion (Animorphs Graphix #1)
  • The Gravity of Us
  • Follow Me Back (Follow Me Back, #1)
  • Shattered
  • wtf
  • Foreplay (The Ivy Chronicles, #1)
Shaun is a major geek and all about nerdy shenanigans. He is the author of many queer books for young adults. Find out more information at shaundavidhutchinson.com. He currently lives in Seattle and watches way too much Doctor Who.