Start by marking “Past Secrets” as Want to Read:
Past Secrets

Past Secrets

3.7  ·  Rating details ·  2,184 Ratings  ·  141 Reviews

They all hide secrets that won't go away....

From the outside, the welcoming, garden-adorned houses of Summer Street are the picture of Irish charm. But on the inside, unexpected and heartbreaking secrets swirl. At house number thirty-two, hardworking, single-mother Faye Reid conceals the truth about her marriage from her fiery daughter, Amber. But Amber, a budding artis

Published December 26th 2007 by Gallery Books (first published 2006)

Christine
Aug 05, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I first started reading Cathy Kelly, I hated how she had 3 very main characters and stories going on. When the chapter ended I wanted to know more about that character, not someone new. But as you get further into the book she nicely spins the three characters together. I love how the underlying theme of this book was about building inner strength and facing the "demons" of the past, leaves you feeling like "live for the future"!
Lauren
Mar 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this. To be honest, I bought it because I liked the cover and its about Irish families. But I ended up thoroughly enjoying it. You follow 4 women of 3 different families, all different generations. We all have secrets that we don't need to keep.
Anne Brooke
This all started out very well indeed and I was instantly hooked on Chrissie and her gift of sight, uptight Faye and betrayed Maggie. At the beginning of this book, I loved them all and couldn't get enough of them, to be honest. Heck I even liked teenage daughter Amber and that, for me, is a very hard sell.

So, a strange kind of kudos to the author then for somehow taking that very strong beginning and tearing the whole thing into tiny pieces. It all starts to go wrong about halfway through when
rameau
I honestly don't have a clue why I finished reading this one. Except that the paperback was lying on my desk for weeks and I needed something safe (as in I wasn't risking my Kindle) to read while travelling. I was expecting some kind of romance novel maybe with a bit more mature and realistic approach and that's about as much as I got.

What I didn't expect were three different novels in one about three different characters I never got the chance to like or care about. The only connecting thread
Jan 16, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book I've read from this author and, after reading her reviews, I assumed I was in for a good story.

However, I just could not finish it. It was too bitty with too many characters and too much going on. she should have had half the stories and done them in more depth.

I gave it a good go and read the first 100 pages but, after that, I skipped to the last chapter. If you guessed the ending at the start, you were probably correct as it was completely predictable.

Will give her one
Paige
Jul 29, 2008 rated it really liked it
This was my first read from Cathy Kelly and it does remind me of an Irish Winteral Lane. Careful when you keep secrets from the past because they always come back to haunt you. The author does into just enough character detail to keep you interested and is all in all, well written. I'll read more from Cathy Kelly.
Julie
Apr 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this one - can't figure out why I prefer London and Irish stories but I do. Strong Irish women who all have a secret that catches up with them - Cathy Kelly is one of my favorites.
Say
May 21, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Ugh. Why do I do this to myself? I can't sleep, get bored and go and buy a cheap audiobook. Well there's a reason they're cheap folks. Utter tripe.
Ketija Grēta
Jan 08, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Grāmatas "Past secrets" nosaukums latviešu valodā ir "Meitiņ manu...", kuras autore ir Ketija Kellija. Darba žanrs ir romāns. Šajā grāmatā ir aprakstītas četru sieviešu dzīves, katra savā vecumā, ar citām domām un dzīves pagriezieniem, kā arī ar savu ģimeni, tomēr viņām visām ir kas kopīgs- katrai savs pagātnes noslēpums. Liela daļa šī romāna darbības norisinās Īrijā- Sammerstrītā, kur visi iedzīvotāji ir pazīstami viens ar otru. Sižets ir ļoti saprotams un pēc romānā rakstītā var saprast, ka da ...more
Chantal
Ce livre trainait dans ma bibliothèque depuis un peu plus d'un an, mais j'étais trop absorbée par The Hunger Games et Harry Potter pour en entamer la lecture... ;)

Les secrets de Summer Street raconte l'histoire de quatre femmes et comment les secrets de leur passé viennent bouleverser leur vie paisible dans un petit coin charmant de l'Irlande. Christie Devlin est professeur d'arts visuels, mariée depuis longtemps à un homme qu'elle adore. Le retour de Carey Wolensky, un artiste polonais reconnu,
Lobna Amer
Probably under other circumstances, I would have fallen for the poetic, magical descriptions which this book is so full of, but, you see, stretching this "poetry" over the course of 650 pages is just pushing it. At many many many many many points the book was just plain redundant, slow, boring! I'm afraid Ms. Kelly's books will not have a place in future to-read lists.
Mιss •kαthєяίиє•  Τhε Emεrαℓd Pяίиcεss®
Apr 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all romantic souls
Recommended to Mιss •kαthєяίиє• by: my instict!
Shelves: favourites
Cathy Kelly's books always have a hidden meaning. This one taught me well the importance of never fearing my secrets - otherwise they will haunt me forever....
Three amazing woman and one teenager are the heroines of this book and soon they realise that their secrets will have to be faced one day and they must free themselves to live their lives with the best.
Camille
This is one of those annoying books that becomes unputdownable because of the strong characterisation but has awful writing - I felt the writer must think the audience is dumb and needs everything spelling out. A good light read though.
TMJ
Mar 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit
Be careful when you keep secrets from the past because they will always come back to haunt you. Comfortable, Maeve Binchy style read like curling up with a cup of Hot Chocolate.
Anne C.
Jan 17, 2008 rated it really liked it
A wonderful Maeve Binchy read-alike.
Mary
May 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a good read. I started to read it because my niece told me it was like Mauve Binchy's Irish Stories. Well, it is very much like her stories. I will be looking for more of Cathy Kelly's books from now on especially since Mauve has passed on.

This story tells of the lives of the many people who live for many years on Summer Street near Dublin, Ireland. It seems that everyone has secrets to hide. Not only from each other in the neighborhood, but from the people who in the houses. Maggie
Lesley
May 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Ireland and Irish writers. Cathy Kelly takes you into the heart of an Irish community and gradually introduces you to some of its inhabitants and their lives. I like the way she writes and that when I finish the book I'm almost in grief for losing all the friends I have come to know.
Mary Doherty
Jul 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
True life

I loved this book as it have great insight into the different lives of four families and how they can present a different face to the world
Tracey
Cathy Kelly has written another oops read.
Sheu Quen
Mar 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There have been way too many nights of sex, lies and secrets. Too many nights of debauchery and drama. All the Cathy Kelly's and Dorothy Koomson's. About how lying never helps any situation and it only gets worse when it gets out of hand. About how it's better to be yourself than to be someone you're not or worse, to be someone you think the other person wants you to be. Time to take a short break from the stuff that reality is made of and read something that's a little more me. Because in reali ...more
Kay
Mar 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the variety of characters and how their lives intersected.
SIMON Karine
Ce roman nous dresse le portrait de trois femmes de trois générations différentes. Leurs points communs, elles habitent toutes les trois la même rue : Summer Street, et cachent un secret qu’elle croyait enfoui à jamais mais qui malheureusement va finir par remonter à la surface, et va venir bousculer leur vie tranquille, du moins c’est ce que laisse entendre le synopsis.

Christie mène une vie tranquille dans Summer Street avec son mari depuis trente ans. Ses enfants mènent à présent leur propre v
Melissa Johnson
Very easy to read and it was enjoyable but definitely didn't grip me. Just an insight into some ordinary lives really. Not my usual type of adventure or action packed book but a nice easy story.
Brandie
Charulatha
Jan 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I started reading, the first few chapters with description of 3 characters, the book had disappointed me; But when the story started spinning I couldn't keep it down. The transition of story from one character's hidden secret to another is done in a beautiful manner. The story involves Christe who is gifted of seeing the future, Maggie who has been bullied and Amber who has been brought up in a protective way by Faye. What happens when each of them decide to reveal their past secrets in the ...more
Anna
Oct 27, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I had a hard time finishing this book. It seemed to drag on and on, and was repetitive. I got tired of the whining. Leave the past where it belongs, and quite hashing it over day after day. Also I found Amber's whole "following rock band going to America adventure" to be over the top and not believable. Honestly all of the characters made me feel impatient with them; I kept wanting them to get over themselves and stop living in the past. At times I found myself rolling my eyes, and wondering why ...more
Natasha
Jan 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, favorites
This book was really quite good.

I thought I wouldn't like it, seeing as I'm fairly sure it's an adult book and I am but a naive teenager. But I loved it!

I loved all the different stories, (and, oh my gosh, it was in third-POV, such a change!!) and how they all intersected and how dark pasts were discovered. And the secrets were revealed in a timely fashion, not all at once nor did Ms. Kelly wait too long and lose my interest. She released everything gradually, like an IV-drip, never too much at
Rhonda Rae Baker
Oct 04, 2010 rated it liked it
This was an enjoyable read but didn't get as deep with meaning as I hoped. The premise is to not hold secrets from yourself or others for they do eat you up from the inside out. I like that part and it kept me going because I wanted to know what the 'secrets' were. But, in the end, there was little fizzle to keep me emotionally involved. Maybe it was just more predictable or stereotypical than I prefer.

Either way, I have enjoyed this author and am usually able to get past her writing 'accent' wh
Leanne Hunt
A pleasant but unremarkable read, "Past Secrets" deals with the lives of four women of varying ages, all with guilty secrets which end up dominating their choices. As someone recently said to me, "That which you do not talk about rules your life." By interweaving past and present, the author portrays her characters with hidden depths, so that it is possible to see how their circumstances have come to be. All this is entertaining but it isn't gripping to the point that one can't put the book down ...more
Karyne Gaouette
Mar 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
J'ai vraiment aimé ce livre!
Dans cette histoire, l'auteure prouve bien que tout le monde à ses propres problèmes de vie et qu'ils ne paraissent pas toujours lorsqu'on regarde quelqu'un. Elle parle aussi de l'amour de la famille, de la confiance en soi et des relations amoureuses.
Comme l'adultère.
On apprends à connaître 3 familles différentes qui ont en commun l'endroit où ils habitent. Au début, il est vrai qu'il est difficile de différencier les personnages puisqu'il y a beaucoup de nom en m
book starting to drag 2 14 Sep 21, 2012 08:32PM
  • Tell Me Something
  • Three Girls and Their Brother
  • A Bad Bride's Tale
  • Vengeance
Born in Belfast but raised in Dublin, Cathy initially worked for thirteen years as a newspaper journalist with a national Irish Sunday newspaper, where she worked in news, features, along with spending time as an agony aunt and the paper’s film critic. However, her overwhelming love was always fiction and she published her first international bestseller, Woman To Woman, in 1997. She did not become ...more
More about Cathy Kelly...