Start by marking “Saving Grace (What Doesn't Kill You, #1)” as Want to Read:
Saving Grace (What Doesn't Kill You, #1)

Saving Grace (What Doesn't Kill You #1)

3.79  ·  Rating details ·  6,731 Ratings  ·  720 Reviews
An alternate cover edition can be found here.

Multi-awardwinning, Bestselling Romantic Mystery Series
Saving Grace kicks off the What Doesn't Kill You series off with voodoo, laughs, and suspense.

Katie Connell is a high-strung attorney whose sloppy drinking habits and stunted love life collide hilariously during a doomed celebrity case in Dallas. She flees Texas for the Cari
Published 2012 by SkipJack Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Saving Grace, please sign up.
Vera Long First a disclaimer: This was a free book from Amazon on Book Gorilla, and the first of a series.

I wasn't sure about this book, after all it was…more

I wasn't sure about this book, after all it was "free". It was light reading, a very fast read, about Katie, a 20-something attorney, her rotten love life, and her drinking problem. She sets out looking for answers about her parents "accidental" death in the Caribbean island of St. Marco, and falls in love with an abandoned, supposedly haunted, mansion named Annalise. Following her trials and tribulations, drunken antics, and uncovering the mystery of her parents' death, was entertaining. And yes, they got me hooked to read the sequel, "Leaving Annalise" #2 in the Katie & Annalise series.(less)
Olive Sampson I think it would be a good Book Club choice. Easy to read and good character development. I enjoyed the book and look forward to more by this author.
Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtryThe Time It Never Rained by Elmer KeltonMolly Ivins Can't Say That, Can She? by Molly IvinsThe Road by Cormac McCarthyThe Last Picture Show by Larry McMurtry
Texas Authors
674 books — 206 voters
The Obsession by Nora RobertsBrotherhood in Death by J.D. RobbThe Show by Lawrence H. SolaMurder on Wheels by Lynn CahoonThe Beech Tree by Don  Phelan
2016 Must Reads
391 books — 301 voters

More lists with this book...

Eric
Oct 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
OK YES I am the authors husband, no tricks here, AND, this really is a great book. I have read a ton of books in my lifetime, owned a bookstore before Pamela and I even met. When I first read some of her writing I was immediately hooked by her VOICE, yes, she has an amazing unique wonderful, funny, smart, voice.
She has had the good fortune of hooking up with an excellent editor who has helped her create some really GREAT stuff while keeping that Voice.
Saving Grace is the first of 3 in the seri
Sami
Dec 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love when a free kindle turns out to be better than expected. Absolutley loved this. The author has a witty voice yet the human struggles in this book had depth too. A pinch of romance, some good suspense and a lot of interesting detail about life in the Virgin Islands. This book has a bit of everything and was well worth the read. Will be looking for the sequel in 2013.
Leslie
I'm giving this book three stars for the writing alone. The rest of the story, well, let's just say, didn't quite hit the mark for me. I had a difficult time getting through the first few chapters but when Nick entered the picture, along with Katie's desire for him, I perked right up and the story finally captured me.

The main story takes place in Dallas, (where I'm from) and I was seriously enjoying all the references of places I've been. The mystery surrounding Katie's parents' death, however,
Lbddiaries
Sep 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
After a bit of a slow beginning (chapter or two), the book took off and I didn't put it down until I finished it - all in the same day. I love the island knowledge the author shares and the characters are full-bodied to the point you think you know them personally! I love how the heroine is not perfect; her foibles are like anyone elses, making her easy to identify with in many ways. The house, the lush island feel, the food, drinks - all suck you in and make you wish you were sitting under an u ...more
Joana
Shelves: caribbean
Saving Grace was a breath of fresh air. The book is ripe with mystery and suspense with just the right amount of romance in the air for flavouring. I was drawn into the book from the very beginning. The biggest thing for me was the excellent description of Caribbean life. As a Caribbean woman, I can say this author got it spot on. Even though I'm not from the Virgin Islands, we island people are very similar in mannerisms and I found myself easily immersed into a culture that is much like my ver ...more
Elizabeta
Mar 10, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dnf
DNF at 60%. The more I read it, the more I lost interest.
David Baird
Oct 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great fun adventure read. See the island through the eyes of those in the know. Thoroughly descriptive of exotic places and things you have to have experienced to know they are true. A work of fiction that is steeped in fact. Tantalizing enough to draw one to visit some of the actual spots, if you know where to look... says I who lives on St Marcos... I think... A picture well painted...

Great to follow the rise of this author and her development of this story. It is been a treat and pleasure to
Paul Fagan
Saving Grace is a spell-binding, fast paced mystery that will make you consider your life and the choices you live with. It is a well crafted, entertaining and lovely story that reads itself and will scarcely leave your hand once you start reading it. If courage can come from inspiration, this book will help you be brave enough to finally be yourself.
Coco.V
Mar 05, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: freebies
💝 FREE on Amazon today (1/5/2018)!💝
Jan 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
To put it plain and simple I LOVED this book, which is kind of surprising because this is not my normal type of book that I read. I loved everything about it, the characters, the location. I loved how Katie is so down to earth and real, she could be your best friend or your neighbor. I REALLY hope the wait will not be too long before book two is out (hint hint) and hope to follow Katie and her friends through many more books (again hint hint) ;) Highly recommended. Funny, light, and suspenseful.
Kjersti
Oct 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I love the main character, Katie, a super sassy red-head with a passion for investigating. I also love that it is a thrilling mystery that doesn't resort to gory violence that is unnecessary and sometimes offensive. The drama comes from real human emotions. But, don't worry, the drama isn't too heavy. It is really well balanced with Kate's witty sense of humor. Excellent read! Super fun page turner!
Noni Barker
Mar 05, 2015 rated it it was ok
Light weight, quick read. What I was looking for today. I did not get very attached to the protagonist.
Andi
Aug 09, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle
This was a light and easy read, but I'm not sure it was good enough to make me want to continue with the series.
Nicholas Alfonso Diaz
Pleasantly surprised! Loved this! A very nice read!
Teri
Oct 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This was a wonderful book and I can't wait to read the next book in the series!
Dorene Eoff
Nov 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A really good book!

Lots of twists and turns that come together in the end with refreshingly human characters. Did not want the book to end so on to the next in the series.
Helaine
Feb 23, 2016 rated it liked it
Too much romance, not enough mystery for me.
Rosemary Kenny
Mar 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of murder-mysteries and psychological thrillers
Saving Grace - a review by Rosemary Kenny

Lawyer Katie has a stellar career as a partner in the law firm she works in, but her emotional life is in freefall following the deaths of both her parents, (on a holiday to a Caribbean island) a year earlier leaving her vulnerable to wanting to have an affair with Nick, a new work colleague who's not yet divorced and to frequently 'self-medicate' with alcohol. When she decides to see where her parents died and have a break from work stresses - and Nick,
J.B.
Jun 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The beginning and the middle are so exciting and has a very nice ending.
Meg
Mar 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
It took me a little while to get into the book but was completely drawn in by the time the MC was on her vacation. Then we had the heart of the story and the memorable characters. Good mystery, light on romance, a light but compelling touch of paranormal. Have the second in the series already downloaded.
Julie
Saving Grace by Pamela Fagan Hutchins is 2012 publication. I was provided a copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review.

Katie is going through a bad patch. She lost her parents in a tragic accident and then the man she is in love with makes in crystal clear he is not interested in a relationship with her- period with about ten exclamation marks. As a result, Katie has been killing the pain with a few too many bloody Mary's. Her job as an attorney also suffers.
Katie's frie
Tina
Feb 25, 2017 rated it it was ok
No, this was not for me. It was uninteresting and I didn't care for any of the character. If I hadn't needed it for a challenge, I would have chosen another book!
Connie Knight
Jun 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Saving Grace by Pamela Fagan Hutchins is the first novel of a mystery series starring Katie Connell as the heroine. She's an excellent Dallas attorney who hates her job, drinks too much, and despairs over the recent "accidental" deaths of her parents on vacation in St. Marcos, one of the U.S. Virgin Islands. And then there's Nick, who doesn't love her and disappears.
Katie makes a trip to St. Marcos and hires Paul Walker to investigate her parents' accident despite his indifferent attitude. She m
Sheri
Oct 26, 2012 added it
Saving Grace (Pamela Fagan Hutchins)

Katie Connell, a Texan attorney needs a break from her life. She has been drinking way too much, suffers an embarrassing moment with the man she (thinks) she loves, and has a professional melt down in front of an entire court room. Her brother suggests rehab, but she has other plans, escape to the Island of St. Marcos. While there she decides to distract herself by investigating the suspicious death of her parents.

Once there she becomes friends with a young na
Esmeralda
Oct 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Hurricane Sandy interrupted my reading but I did manage to finish. Katie is an attorney whose career suffers a large setback when she loses her first criminal case. She had just returned from the Virgin Islands where she hoped to uncover information concerning her parents' deaths in an auto accident. While she is there she falls in love with an abandoned estate called Annalise, which supposedly is haunted. She makes an offer to a real estate agent but the house has been bought by someone else.

Di
Fiona
Nov 19, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Katie Connell is a Dallas trial lawyer. She has had a bad year: her parents mysteriously died in a car accident on the Caribbean isle of St Marcos (USVI, she is in love with her investigator Nick who is now avoiding her, and she has a nuclear meltdown in the courtroom when she learns her client admits to buying off his only witness. She has no choice but to take a vacation. She decides to go to St Marcos to grieve her parent's death and also investigate what really happened.

She falls in love wit
Brandy
Mar 23, 2015 rated it liked it
Losing someone close to you can send you into a downward spiral. For Katie, it was harder, she felt as though her parent's death wasn't an accident. Katie's life was hard enough without the constant wonder whether her parent's death was on purpose. She was an attorney with a drinking problem on the weekends. Her life needed to change and she felt the only way to fix what had been broken was to go to the place of the so called "accident". Katie's life changes when she goes to investigate the deat ...more
Connie
Sep 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I first recommended this book, the title led some to assume that it is an inspirational book. It is actually a chic lit, island romance, page turner of a mystery - with a jumbie thrown in for good measure.

Katie Connell is our hilarious heroine, a sassy Dallas attorney with a fondness for Bloody Marys. After enduring a professional melt-down, Katie impulsively moves to St. Marcos, buys a dilapidated estate in a rainforest and investigates the death of her parents. Somewhere along the way, s
Vera Long
Aug 23, 2015 rated it liked it
This was a "free" book on Book Gorilla, and it sounded interesting, so I took a chance. The genre is romantic mystery, I think.

Katie is a 30-something attorney in Dallas, who drinks too much, and is attracted to an unavailable hunk of a man called Nick. She's still reeling from the unexplained death of her parents, supposedly accidental, on the Caribbean island of St. Marco. She decides to visit St. Marco to see if she can determine what really happened there, and falls in love with a dilapidat
D.L. Williams
I love the writing style, I love the characters, the setting was fantastic, but here is another story where the writer hates the main character. Poor Katie was "the best lawyer" in Dallas, Texas, but she was an alcoholic, her whole life revolved around Nick who never gave her any interest, bad things happen to Katie which change her life. I understand this is fiction, and things happen like she oversleeps "right before the big trial" and she is drunk and "misses the much needed text message", bu ...more
  • An Island of Illusions (A Sarah Woods Mystery #3)
  • Bird Brained (Rachel Porter, #3)
  • Amanda's Eyes (A.J. Gregson)
  • Cocoa and Chanel (Chanel, #1)
  • All the Blue-Eyed Angels (Erin Solomon Mystery, #1)
  • A Heat Of The Moment Thing
  • Torn
  • Fatal Error
  • Stranger in Town (Sloane Monroe, #4)
  • In the Arms of Danger
  • Black Oil, Red Blood
  • Sound of Blood
  • Olivia
  • InSight
  • Strictly Murder (Verity Long Mysteries #1)
  • Diary of a Small Fish
  • A New Life (Escape #1)
  • Voodoo Daddy (Virgil Jones Mystery, #1)
Pamela writes overly long e-mails and the What Doesn't Kill You romantic mysteries from deep in the heart of Nowheresville, TX and way up in the frozen north of Snowheresville, WY. Pamela is passionate about hiking with her hunky husband and pack of rescue dogs (and an occasional goat and donkey), riding her gigantic horses, experimenting with her Keurig, and traveling in the Bookmobile.

Get free e
More about Pamela Fagan Hutchins

What Doesn't Kill You (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Act One (What Doesn't Kill You Prequel): An Ensemble Mystery Novella
  • Leaving Annalise (Katie 2): A What Doesn't Kill You Romantic Mystery
  • Finding Harmony (Katie 3): A What Doesn't Kill You Romantic Mystery
  • Going for Kona (Michele 1): A What Doesn't Kill You Romantic Mystery
  • Heaven to Betsy (Emily 1): A What Doesn't Kill You Romantic Mystery
  • Earth to Emily (Emily 2): A What Doesn't Kill You Romantic Mystery
  • Hell to Pay (Emily 3): A What Doesn't Kill You Romantic Mystery
  • Fighting For Anna (Michele 2): A What Doesn't Kill You Romantic Mystery
  • Bombshell (What Doesn't Kill You #9)
  • The Emily Box Set (What Doesn’t Kill You, #5-7): Three Full-Length Romantic Mysteries

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Genome (The Extinction Files #2)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Wrong Man
    $9.49 $1.99
  • What You Don't Know
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The River Is Dark (Liam Dempsey, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • When They Come for You (Harper McDaniel #1)
  • Murder at Bray Manor : a cozy historical mystery
  • Wired (Wired, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Every Single Secret
  • Name of the Devil: A Jessica Blackwood Novel
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Working Fire
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Night Crew (Sean Drummond, #7)
  • The Music of the Deep
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Adventuress (Lady Emily, #10)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Summer Children (The Collector, #3)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • The Good Twin
    $5.99 $2.99
  • An Innocent Client (Joe Dillard, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Speed of Sound (Speed of Sound Thrillers #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Bones (Shetland Island, #3)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Bourne Initiative (Jason Bourne, #14)
  • The Good Neighbor
  • Under an English Heaven: An Ellie Kent Mystery
  • Pretty Girls Dancing
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Swansong (DI Nick Dixon #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Cold Day For Murder (Kate Shugak #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Have His Carcase (Lord Peter Wimsey #8)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • My Brother Michael
  • Casino: Love and Honor in Las Vegas
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Mr. Timothy
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Kill Society (Sandman Slim, #9)
  • The Memory Closet
  • What Lies Below
  • Silent Child
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The World of Lore: Monstrous Creatures
  • Pleasantville
    $12.49 $1.99
  • The Walkers of Dembley (Agatha Raisin, #4)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Killing Orders
  • Heirs of Grace
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Prince Lestat (The Vampire Chronicles #11)
  • Horrorstör
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Mind's Eye (Inspector Van Veeteren #1)
  • The Sound of Rain
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hidden Killers (Tennison, #2)
  • What If
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Paragon Walk (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #3)
  • The Secret Mother
    $2.99 $1.49
“my” 3 likes
“I’d been working too hard to listen to my instincts, which were screaming “bullshit” so loud I almost went deaf in my third ear.” 1 likes