Start by marking “Sam (Damienverse, #1)” as Want to Read:
Sam (Damienverse, #1)

Sam

(Damienverse #1)

WANT TO HEAR A SECRET?
When washed-up priest, Angela Murs, and skittish ghost hunter, Tim Golding, are summoned to a vast country manor to help a sick little boy, they have no idea what to expect. It’s clear that young Sammie is a very disturbed child, but there’s surely no way he could have been behind the recent spate of accidents, or the death of his father. The child is
Published September 16th 2012 by SalGad Publishing Group

To ask other readers questions about Sam, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sam

Angel Gelique
Oct 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars rounded up...

I really enjoyed reading this story about an ex-priest and a ghost hunter who are summoned by a frantic mother (from a wealthy, influential family) to help her ten-year-old son who appears to be possessed. This book grabbed my attention from the start and grew increasingly suspenseful as bizarre and creepy things began to happen. Then came a twist, which I won't reveal (no spoilers here!) but it left me wondering if things were really as they seemed. I had my suspicions, b
Jo Ann
May 26, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one.
This novel was staler then week old bread! Clichés galore! Not one original idea anywhere to be found. A generic mutation of the Exorcist meets the Omen, with just a dash of Lord of the Rings. Yes, at one point one of the characters shouts at the demon, "You shall not pass!" think Gandalf. Omg! If your looking for horror, the only scary thing here was that godawful writing.
Jules
Jan 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this book.

Loved the character of Sam, who was somewhat disturbing at times. There is one image I may never recover from. Dirty little boy!

This story progressed well, had some good characters in it, and I didn't guess the ending, which is always a bonus.

Really looking forward to reading many more books by Iain in the future.
Cthulhu Down My Chimney 2Night
Review of Sam by Iain Rob Wright
Reviewed for SalGad Publishing

Did this story scare me? You absolutely bet it did. Having just read Mr. Wright’s “Sea Sick,” I already knew that he is an accomplished and quite masterful author. What I wasn’t expecting was the unusual choice of roles and orientations for the protagonist (or, since she opposes the central character, maybe Angela should be called the antagonist) nor for the sheer terror that rang in my bones from very nearly the beginning.

“Sam” is a
Kimberly
Nov 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars, rounded up to 4 for an exceptional ending.

Sam was a GOOD story, some of the main characters were just a little too cliched for my taste. (The character of Tim, in particular, seemed particularly trite and unnecessary). There were certainly some genuinely creepy moments, but I just didn't feel the "connection" with any of the characters like I did Wright's HOUSEMATES. I was fairly set on a 3 star rating until the events in the book took an unexpected--to me, at any rate--turn for the b
Irene
Feb 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
I admit I have a soft spot for creepy little kids. They scare the bejeezers out of me, so I got quite a case of heebie jeebies from Sam.

When Angela and Tim are basically forced into a meeting with Sam's wealthy mother they are expecting it to be some sort of scam or hoax, but it is so much more involved than that. Sam is not just acting strangely and looking seriously ill, he possesses knowledge that no mere child could possibly have. Things quickly escalate from strange to dangerous and not ev
Andrew Lennon
Mar 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this book. It's not just your normal possession story. In fact you could possibly even describe this as a bit of an action story, but of course it still had all the creepy elements of the traditional possession tale.
I've had a few people recommend this book to me and it took me a while getting round to it, but I'm really glad I did.
Highly recommended.
Chris
Apr 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014-reads, horror
A B-movie style possession novel with some genuinely creepy elements and a good ending that elevate this above “middle of the road.” I will definitely read more by this author.
Keith Chawgo
Jul 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
A fun book that gives an interesting spin to the exorcism phenomenon. Although some of the characters idiosyncrasies balance on the ledge of schlock, they pull through to give the reader an exciting roller coaster ride.with enough twists and turns to keep you engaged.
The atmosphere is well developed and the old dark house routine lends a nod to the fantastic with weather changes and mood setting a very solid setting.

The only complaint I have would be with the forced catchphrases that one charact
Rebecca McNutt
I don't know about this book... it seems to have sucked up a bunch of themes from various films such as Rosemary's Baby (1968), Sinister(2012), The Exorcist (1973) and The Omen(1976), and throughout the whole story a lot of it is just overly violent filler. I like horror books, but only if there's an original story and characters I care about behind it.
Aug 19, 2013 rated it did not like it
I was disappointed that there was no horror in the novel at all. I had high hopes because I enjoyed Wright`s books before, but this was really bad. The author used all cliches of possession tales, and the characters were boring and carelessly created. The final straw was the horrible editing, meaning that it was not done at all. Sorry, but don't read it. ...more
Michelle
Oct 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is a pretty good, easy to read, little horror story. Creepy enough to make me think twice about getting out of bed in the middle of the night. Shame I guessed the ending early on. Damn my cleverness! (3.5*)
Justin
Sep 10, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: lendable, horror
DNF around 80%
Carolyn Injoy
Sam: A Horror Mystery Novel (Possession) by Iain Rob Wright Sam: A Horror Mystery Novel (Possession) by Iain Rob Wright is a frightening book. I gave it four stars. It kept my attention start to finish.

Tim Golding is a ghost hunter. Angela Murs is an excommunicated priest. They are both called by Jessica Bell-Raymeady to help 'exorcise' her child, Sam.

"Tim awoke well rested in his van at 10AM. Frank had offered him a room inside the house, but the van was his home. He didn’t see any reason to ob
Jakob Hessius
I liked the book a lot. The characterizations are good and the idea is well executed. His book do tend to be a bit long and slow. It's not a bit problem, but always when I start geting near the ending I start på geting a bit restles. Otherwise a good book.
J.C. Brennan
May 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Evil comes in all forms!
Sam
What do an ex-conman, turned motivated ghost hunter, a washed-up lesbian ex-priest, an ex-sergeant, and the widow of Joseph Raymeady, owner of a multi-billion dollar corporation, have in common? Well, nothing…that is nothing until Sammie.
Tim (ghost hunter) and Angela (ex-priest) are shanghaied into circumstances that land them in Jessica Raymeady’s Manson to help her son, Sammie. Frank, ex-sergeant, now Mrs. Raymeady’s chief and loyal friend, is very skeptical of the
Kari Dennis
Apr 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Good story 3 1/2 stars

I wrestled between 3 and 4 stars for this book. It was well written and an interesting story, but it seemed to be missing a certain amount of depth. The characters were good, but a little one dimensional. ***spoiler alert*** Tim, debunked and coward, Angela, lesbian ex-priest, etc. But nothing else to their characters to make them into actual people. At times, the behaviour of characters seemed irrational and overboard for their characters personality. Also, I looked up wha
Daphne
May 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: quest
First off all, the main draw to this story for me was the narration. I don't know how much I would have enjoyed the story if I had read it, but the splendid English accent that the narrator gave to the story made it very enjoyable. The only place he did not excel was in his female voices, but even those were not so bad that they detracted from me enjoying the story.

The story itself held my interest throughout. It kept up a good pace for a horror/fantasy/thriller. The author allowed me to learn e
Natasa
Sep 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror, demons
My second book by this author. Loved this one as well, maybe even more.

The plot is developing very slowly and there are some of the scenes that are more than familiar. Still, I totally enjoyed discovering the faith of all the characters all the way till the end.

The ending surprised me a bit, not Sammie though but Frank.

Claire
Feb 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I'll admit that I'm a massive fan of Iain's work, but this book really stood out for me, the way the character of Sam is written and the way the story evolved had me in goosebumps and really scared at times!
Such a unique and well written novel among the tons of similar offerings around at the moment. Bloody fantastic writing.
Olivia
Nov 15, 2012 rated it did not like it
I think there was a good story in there somewhere, but all the flat and clichéd characters and somewhat lacking dialogues made it difficult to appreciate this book. It would have benefited from a bit more editing.
And no, it was not scary at all, or even creepy.
Zach Bohannon
Jun 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Couldn't stop turning the page

At first glance, this book just like another The Omen or The Exorcist. While it is obviously influenced by those, Sam has plenty of suspense and twists that make it its own entity. A horrifying mystery.
Tamara
Dec 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Another masterpiece from the master! What's scarier than children from the dark side of our nightmares? Can't get enough of this author! Makes readers wonder what their children have really been up to ...
Ankit Kapahi
Jan 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
got dissolved in the book and liked the ending which was really not at all predictable.with every page i was reading i was getting excited to know what would happen next ? Liked it
Shadow Girl
Mar 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Full review soon
Diane
Nov 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
3.5

The Exorcist meets Rosemary's Baby. Good, but the ending could be a conclusion OR lead to a part 2. I'd like another book I think.
Anna
Jun 10, 2015 rated it did not like it
Very predictable with tons of horror story cliches. I listened to it as an audiobook if it had been a paper book I don't think I would have finished it.
Brandy
Maybe I just wasn't in an exorcising mood. I usually like this author, but this one was just meh.
Lisa Lee
Jan 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
SAM by Iain Rob Wright is an incredible supernatural horror thriller that kept me enthralled from start to finish. It’s one of those books that makes me verbally curse interruptions because I simply must find out what happened next. Once I began it, I was compelled to read it. The story has fantastic tension and pace and keeps you guessing right up to the end, with so many twists and turns that motions sickness medication just might be in order.

I am a fan of horror and of supernatural thriller
Jenelle
Oct 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
I like to ONLY read horror in October. This year, I keep finding books with real life horror (redneck psychos, sex slavers...real people that are terrible), so I wanted to change it up a bit.
Sam certainly fit the bill. I liked this book, the atmosphere was great and the story was alright. The main characters were a little flat, but they had fleshed out motivations and histories.

I wavered between 3 and 4 stars for this book...but the ending pushed it to a 4 in my opinion. (this has been my year
  • The Screaming
  • The Haunting at Blackwood Hall
  • Suckers
  • Dead Stop
  • Graveyard Blues (Night Blues, #1)
  • Bullied:  The Complete Series
  • Dismember
  • Strange Magic
  • The Nightmare Within
  • The Bank of the River (The River #1)
  • The Hunting Tree - Book One
  • The Haunted
  • Born To Bleed (The Roger Huntington Saga, #2)
  • The Cabin II: Asylum
  • The Frenzy Way (The Frenzy Wolves, #1)
  • Alex
  • Header
  • Darling
Iain Rob Wright is one of the UK's most successful horror and suspense writers, with novels including the critically acclaimed, THE FINAL WINTER; the disturbing bestseller, ASBO; and the wicked screamfest, THE HOUSEMATES.

His work is currently being adapted for graphic novels, audio books, and foreign audiences. He is an active member of the Horror Writer Association and a massive animal lover.

Chec

Damienverse (7 books)
  • ASBO (Damienverse, #2)
  • The Final Winter (Damienverse, #3)
  • The Housemates (Damienverse, #4)
  • Sea Sick
  • Ravage (Ravaged World Trilogy, #2) (Damienverse, #6)
  • Savage  (Ravaged World Trilogy, #3) (Damienverse, #7)
“She wore Sin around her shoulders like a comfortable cloak and felt cold without it.” 2 likes