Start by marking “Dinner with a Vampire (The Dark Heroine, #1)” as Want to Read:
Dinner with a Vampire (The Dark Heroine, #1)

Dinner with a Vampire

(The Dark Heroine #1)

3.77  ·  Rating details ·  9,695 ratings  ·  1,424 reviews
The sexiest romance you’ll read this year…

One moment can change your life forever...

For Violet Lee, a chance encounter on a darkened street draws her into a world beyond her wildest imaginings, a timeless place of vast elegance and immeasurable wealth – of beautiful mansions and lavish parties – where a decadent group of friends live for pleasure alone. A place from which
Published October 11th 2012 by Harper Voyager (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Dinner with a Vampire, please sign up.
Zarah Frost She guessed. You put together the dates of when he came into power and the death of the queen. She just so happened to be right
…more
(less)

·  9,695 ratings  ·  1,424 reviews

Start your review of Dinner with a Vampire (The Dark Heroine, #1)
Louise

0 Stars

Objectively the worst book I have read, not just since I started thinking critically about books or reviewing, but ever.

(view spoiler)
Johnny Hazelnut
Is a novel by a certain Abigail Gibbs, who is 18 years old, an Oxford student, and was in 2012 awarded a six-book deal for this novel, which is subtitled "Dinner with a Vampire," and its sequelae. This was because she was first discovered on Wattpad, which is kinda like Fanfiction.net but for original fiction and has some fribbling social networking thing about it as well. On this site, she racked up thousands and thousands of viewers for the tale... then HarperCollins signed her up before the v ...more
Fathima
Soooo , up until the end I was all like ,

Photobucket

Omg !!! Yaaaaay ! Finally .....

Photobucket

And just before that crucial moment , like THE FUCKING MOMENT that I've been waiting for .. the book goes :

And I'm like :

Photobucket

Damn it !!! I cant wait to read the next book in this series ! Sooo fuckin good !!!

Full review to follow .
NiCoLeTa E. {Addicted To Books}
I have read this book twice and i don't know why i haven't reviewed it yet!!!
I saw that many people hated it and many others loved it!!! I agree with the second half!!! I don't know why but i loved that book...
I loved the story, i loved the characters, but beyond all that, i loved Caspar Varn!!!
With this name is it possible to not love him???

This book had it all inside... Love, fear, political games, a prophecy... Everything inside it kept me on edge...and i really enjoyed that journey!!!

I love
Nicki
Ayra
Sep 09, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The sequel, Autumn Rose, has a publication date of January 28, 2014!!

I was one of the lucky ones to have read this on Wattpad up to chapter 61 before chapters were taken down. It was formely known as "Dinner With a Vampire. Did I Mention I'm Vegetarian?"
However, the author who is known as Canse12 on Wattpad never posted the ending. So now I'm on the edge of my seat anticipating the release of this book so very very badly.

I'm finally reading this after waiting for what felt like a very long
Erin
Aug 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: series
3.5 sexy and fun stars!

I hauled this out of the bargain bin at a boxing day sale, so really it didn't owe me a lot. However, I was promised the sexiest read of the year and well it did gain some points there.

The story..

Violet Lee is just an ordinary 17 year old British girl hanging out in Trafalgar square until she witnesses six vampires annihilate 30 men. She is kidnapped and brought to the royal house. Violet is pretty pissed that she is now with a bunch of murderers and does what she can to
Naoms
Originally Posted on: Confessions of an Opinionated Book Geek"

I have to be completely honest. I didn’t finish this book and I honestly don’t believe I can. I just can’t. I have finished some not so great books in my life. I finished “Fifty Shades Freed,” “Beautiful Bastard” and “Eve,” just to see how they would end, but I just cannot continue. More than not being my style of book, it is just horrible.

The first thing I noticed about this book is that the writing isn’t very good. Ok, I will admit
Marina
BEAUTIFUL. BEAUTIFUL. BEAUTIFUL.

Read in 2 days, completely sucked in (pun intended).
Why is it so hard to write about books you loved? I feel at such a loss for words and that familiar warmth when you have trully enjoyed a read.

The originality of this story blew my mind in bits and fireworks. When you hear the words "vampires" and "romance", you think you have everything figured out. But in all earnest, there is absolutely nothing predictable.

How is this for a first meeting?

‘Kaspar, are w
Mizuki
What should you do if you wanted to read good vampire romance (okay, gay or lesbian ones, please) these days?

I found I only have two options:

(1) Search through a sea of vampire fanfics and find the few good ones.

(2) Write the stories yourself.

*sighs* Ah, woe is me.

Note: I read the Chinese translation of this novel.

Sadly, this vampire romance novel doesn't live up to any of my expectation---and my expectation has never been high when it comes to the mainstream heterosexual vampire romances. I'm
Paige (Illegal in 3 Countries)
The love interest attempts to rape the heroine after she steals his condoms as a prank. There is absolutely nothing more to it than that. He attempts to rape her over a prank, she forgives him, and they have a happily ever after. Of course, it's bad when other people try to rape her. He's Special and is allowed to try to rape her.

Yes, this is the most vile novel I have ever read. There are many that are also incredibly horrible, but this one will always win. Always.

Fuck this novel. May it burn i
Chelsea
Sep 15, 2012 rated it liked it
I really wanted to like this book. There was a lot of hype surrounding the author, who is just eighteen and landed a six figure publishing deal. It is definitely a different take on vampire lore, but it wasn't enough to keep me interested. When I was 75% done with the book I actually thought about putting it away, but I figured I had come this far...

What bothered me the most about this book was her writing style and lack of character development. It didn't flow at all; each time I picked up the
Cassandra
The sexiest romance you'll read this year...
 photo VeronicaIncredulous.gif
I really should have listened to the bad reviews I read,but when the price dropped to just 2 dollars I just couldn't stop myself...Oh how I wish I had.
The book starts out with Violet Lee in Trafalgar Square where she witnesses a mass murder of about 30 people and the murderers see Violet and decide to kidnap her.She's taken to their home and finds out that they're vampires.Kasper(the not so friendly vampire)is the prince of the vampires.He continua
Deborah Dicks
Oct 07, 2012 rated it did not like it
This is my review from Amazon:

I decided to divide my review into three areas - the good, the bad and the ugly (with apologies to the filmakers from whom I borrowed the title). My reason for this was that my first instinct was to write a purely negative review, but this seemed unfair so I chose a title that would force me to focus on the good parts as well as the bad.

And so, on to the good. The author wrote this when she was a teenager, surely a feat worthy of commendation. It is not every teena
Barbara Elsborg
Dec 01, 2012 rated it did not like it
I bought this book for a number of reasons - liked the cover (call me shallow), liked the blurb, liked the little round sticker thing telling me it was a sexy romance. Sadly, that was more or less all I liked about it. It was YA. WHY didn't it say that on the book? I wouldn't have bought it. I don't want to read a romance involving a 17 year old. I've seen comments that say this is something that will appeal to older readers but it didn't appeal to me.
The plot had so many holes it was laughable
kirstin ✿
Sep 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: guilty-pleasure
NOTE: My review is based on the original draft she has posted online on Wattpad.

*POSSIBLE SPOILERS AHEAD*

Abigail Gibbs is already a big thing in the world of Wattpad. When you say her name, Dinner With A Vampire is always associated. I discovered her story a long time ago. And I'm one of the earliest readers of the novel. Glad I had stumbled upon it.

They say she is the next Meyer. I don't know whether to agree or not. Because if they were talking about her writing, Gibbs has proven bette
Jess
So I'm writing this review as I just finished the book ; it's 3am and I can't sleep so I apologise in advance if I don't make any sense.
Erm how can I say this? You see how Twilight is internationally known as being the lowest form of literature there can be right now, along with 50 shades? This book was worse than Twilight. Yes, you read right.
Twilight actually had LIKEABLE characters. Alice was quite enticing, was she not? This book contained no Alices, no Edmees, no character to make this te
Vasya
First, I would like to say that I've read this story on wattpad.com before it was published, so some of my references in this review might be a little bit confusing to some, but I will try to clear it up as much as I can.

Second, I've been a fan of Canse12 (aka the author) for a while and I never would have guessed that the story is inspired by Twilight. I mean, There is just no connection that my mind can grasp and establish between the two works other than it revolves around vampires, and that
All Things Urban Fantasy
Sep 19, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
I should have known better. THE DARK HEROINE began as Twilight fan fiction in the mind of then fifteen year old Abigail Gibbs. Three years later, hot on the heels of another Twilight-fan-fiction-turned-huge-best-seller, Harper Voyager is publishing this sloppy, poorly written, and often upsetting mess.
Violet witnesses a vampire attack, and the vampires decide to abduct the witness and keep her at their family estate until she dies or agrees to turn. The Cullens they are not. They intimidate, thr
Emily (Falling for YA)
*This is a review for an New Adult/Adult book

I requested this title on Edelweiss because I was curious. I had heard this was originally written on Wattpad when the author was 15 and was later picked up by a major publishing house in a six figure deal. That is enough to stir anyone's curiosity. Unfortunately, curiosity can also get you in trouble and that was the case for me.

First off this isn’t going to be a nice review. I had so many problems with this book that is was impossible for me to enjo
Mara
Sep 25, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Update: I rated it. Can't say it's a book I liked nor I connected to it in any way (so no 2 stars): 1 1/2

Hush, hush. I know, GR. You did warn me. This is fan-fic being published after the Book That Shall Not Be Named became famous. This is sparkly going dark and vegetarianism being swapped.

Reading this book was like watching a train wreck or the scene of a big road incident. You stare in horrified fascination. You are ashamed of yourself for it. You know you should turn away and respect the dead
Ashneet
May 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely adored this novel. I thought that the two protagonists were great. This novel is written in the POV of Violet Lee, which is our female protagonist and Kasper Varn who is our male protagonist. However there are considerably more chapters from Violets POV.

Violet is a headstrong, kick ass and all in all an awesome character. But their were moments where I was screaming at her. Kasper Varn however is just SEXY! that's all I have to say on him. He is just amazing!

I won't go into the plot
m.
Nov 05, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: vampires
Dnf-ed at 49%, it was dragging and I started to get really bored...
Natalie Frampton
Oct 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing

I was asked to review this book by the lovely people at Harper Voyager and boy I am so glad I said yes.
This book grabbed me from page one and kept me right until the end.
Whilst on a night out Violet is witness to a horrific slaughter of a group of men. As the witness Violet is kidnapped by the murderers and taken to a lavish estate. On arrival Violet learns these men are not ordinary they are vampires. *squeal*
It turns out this isn't as simple as it first seems. Violet is the daughter of a powe
*TANYA*
Dec 12, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: never-again
I was really wanting to like this book but I just could not get into this book.
Kara-karina
Sep 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing

I'm obsessed with this book, peeps. I'm bullying my fellow bloggers to read it and I keep talking about it.

Thing is there are plenty of faults with the plot and writing in general, but it's just such a compelling, powerful and magical read, that I haven't noticed much of that while I was blazing through The Dark Heroine *grinning*

First of all, it's a gritty, violent, sexy and pretty raw read. The main character, 17 year-old Violet is not a damsel in distress, she is a daughter of a powerful man
Donna {Book Passion For Life}
He sighed, his hands tangling themselves in my already-knotted hair. “Violet, don’t ever leave me. Whatever happens; however things get, just don’t go. Please.”

The Dark Heroine is an absolutely fantastic debut novel by author Abigail Gibbs. I had no idea that this author was only 15-years-old when she wrote this novel, and wow, does she have a talent because this is one exciting page turner.

Violet Lee is a seventeen-year-old who is trying to get over her failed relationship with her e
Didi
What to say, what to say...

I liked this book. For quite a few reasons. But I didn't love it like I hoped I would and that has to do with two reasons.

First I'll get into why it was good. Vampires. Need I say more?! I love em' and will read almost anything with them. So that right there is the first reason I liked this book. I also appreciated the multi-layered plot and detailed world building. This was far from a one-dimensional story and you could get seriously lost in the intricacies of it all.
Amy
Oct 23, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2012
I really wanted to like this book but it really disappointed me on so many levels. Whilst I can see that this could have been an interesting premise and a unique take on vampires- it wasn't. Unfortunately this book was badly plotted, written without maturity (I know that the author is young, but in my opinion this was not of a high enough quality to publish. What were HarperCollins thinking?!), and sadly the story boiled down to bad Twilight fanfiction. As for other reviews that maintain that th ...more
Andrea Heltsley
Oct 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc-reviews
An absolutely amazing read! I can't believe how awesome this book was. It was a long read and I was hesitant, but it looked so good, I had to snag it for an ARC:) I'm so glad I did. The sequel will be out next year and I can't wait to get it!

I was completely engrossed in this book and all the emotions it invoked in me. It was sexy and dark. I love a well put together vampire story. This was the perfect vampire romance. I enjoyed seeing Kaspar go from dark and frivolous to complex without apologi

• As Twilight Falls (Morgan Creek, #1)
  • Suck It Up (Suck It Up, #1)
  • Got Fangs? (Ben and Fran, #1)
  • Must Date the Playboy
  • Wampir z KC
  • The Substitute Bride
  • How To Be A Queen (Myths Finding Love #1)
  • The Bet
  • Reasons Not To Fall In Love
  • Unmasked (Melbourne After Dark, #1)
  • Frost (Jotun Chronicles, #1)
  • The Wallflower's Revenge
  • How I Fell For Death (Myths Finding Love #2)
  • Crave (Crave, #1)
  • Bonds (Royal States, #6)
  • Once Blessed, Thrice Cursed (A Sister Witches Urban Fantasy #1)
  • Diamonds in the Dust (Diamonds are Forever Trilogy, #1)
  • Night Owls (Night Owls, #1)
Abigail Gibbs was born and raised in deepest, darkest Devon. She is currently studying for a BA in English at the University of Oxford and considers herself a professional student, as the real world is yet to catch up with her. Her greatest fear is blood and she is a great advocate of vegetarianism, which logically led to the writing of her first novel, Dinner With A Vampire. At age fifteen, she b ...more

The Dark Heroine (3 books)
  • Autumn Rose (The Dark Heroine, #2)
  • Untitled (The Dark Heroine, #3)