Start by marking “Explore It!: Reduce Risk and Increase Confidence with Exploratory Testing” as Want to Read:
Explore It!: Reduce Risk and Increase Confidence with Exploratory Testing

Explore It!: Reduce Risk and Increase Confidence with Exploratory Testing

Uncover surprises, risks, and potentially serious bugs with exploratory testing. Rather than designing all tests in advance, explorers design and execute small, rapid experiments. In this book, you'll learn how to analyze software to discover key points of vulnerability, how to design experiments on the fly, how to hone your observation skills, and how to focus your effort ...more
Published 2012 by Pragmatic Bookshelf

To ask other readers questions about Explore It!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Explore It!

André Gomes
Sep 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
There are two chapters being written yet, but the book is just awesome!

The best book I've read about testing until today.

I really recommend it, specially for for developers and testers, but it could be interesting for everyone working on team that is building any kind of (software) product.
Michael Larsen
Dec 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Exploratory testing has been getting press lately. Deservedly so, I should say. Still, outside of blog posts and direct interaction with those who have represented the movement of exploratory testing, there isn't a good one stop for explaining what exploratory testing is in a meaningful way. Practitioners have to scratch around and try out a number of different sources and models and deal with a lot of "it depends". Getting all of the details in one place, and with a smooth narrative that can he ...more
David Westerveld
Jun 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent summary of exploratory testing and how to use it well in various environments. A book I continue to come back to, to look stuff up and get a refresher on various exploratory testing topics. Well written, this book pulls in you while teaching you a lot about how to be an effective tester.
Venkatesh-Prasad
The book talks about exploratory approach to testing wherein we explore the subject at and around "boundaries" to figure out how the subject performs at and around "boundaries". The book provides good strategies to process to conduct exploratory testing along with exploration strategies specific to different kinds of boundaries. If you write tests on a day to day basis and benefit from them, most of the content may seem like "been there done that" or "I agree". However, if you are skeptical abou ...more
Brad
Aug 29, 2018 rated it liked it
I read this book with a group and enjoyed discussing each chapter. I was hoping to find more advice on how to get a team to support me in exploratory testing but I guess I am on my own for that. I found most of the content applicable and helpful. I have certainly gained a stronger understanding of exploratory testing and how to better approach it in the future.
Algirdas
May 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: testing
First real book on exploratory testing I found. I like it is short , concrete and with real life examples. Not perfect, because it may not give you much if you have some experience in this area. But really good for everyone who is new in exploratory testing.
Colin Marks
Feb 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This is a quick read and offers some sensible approaches to exploratory software testing. There's no great insights, and personally I don't feel I'm going to approach testing any differently as a result of this book, but it certainly contains information that others may find helpful.
Nikhil
Apr 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Super helpful and insightful book on exploratory testing, both on methods and how it fits into the product lifecycle. Peppered with interesting anecdotes from the author's many years of testing and development experience.
Jane
Jan 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
A well written, and engaging, read. It would suit testers, programmers, and product owners and would provide insight into how to explore applications, or specifications to ensure a good quality result.
Sergiu Postolachi
Mar 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Scott Griffiths
Apr 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Easy to read introduction to exploratory testing
Devin Brown
A worthy read with some valuable nuggets and applicable heuristics. Not overly profound, but in general, high quality and relevant common sense wisdom for improving process and product.
Noah Moerbeek
Dec 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Another great book from Pragmatic Programmers that is worth reading whether you are in management, software development, analysis or testing. The thoughts are well laid out, the author is personable, the chapters are organized well, and lots of real world examples are provided from specific projects.

In my years of working in software development I have noticed to paths testers take. Chaotic, where they initially try to break the system with the most extreme choices they can, and spec testers tha
Johnny Graber
Mar 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Testing can be more than just following a script. When the basic functions work one can start with tests that are not formalized (jet) to figure out how wide the happy path really is. Often enough a minor difference in the input and a webpage or a parser no longer works as expected. Problems like those will not be found by regular testing and need therefore a different approach. Elisabeth Hendrickson explains in this book what exploratory testing is, how you should time box your explorations and ...more
Jonas Granquist
Apr 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book for someone like me, who just started working with software testing and want to learn more about how to test effectively. This book is not only useful for exploratory testing but also contain some useful heuristics for when doing other kinds of testing. The only topics I miss are a discussion more about locale and Unicode which are two things that always seem to break in software.
Joel Liriano
Mar 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: tech
This is the perfect go-to source of information for exploratory testing, whether you'll start on a new project or you're joining a long-running one. It's clearly written and offers examples and suggestion to convey the message and get you started right away.
Emma
Jan 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This was a great read. It is well written and easy to follow and engaged the side of me that gets excited about testing. It exposed the methods that should be being applied for both exploratory testing and to help scope the projects themselves.
Amanda
Apr 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Nice summary of techniques to keep in back of my mind (eg CRUD; none, one, many; beginning, middle, end)
Erik
Nov 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: erik, ebook
nice book. as a developer, after reading it I am encourage to do more testing...
Nick Zdunic
Aug 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Excellent ideas of the best ways to Explore software to uncover issues starting from testing the requirements!
Jan

• Lessons Learned in Software Testing: A Context-Driven Approach
  • The Cucumber Book
  • The RSpec Book
  • Agile Testing: A Practical Guide for Testers and Agile Teams
  • Your Code As a Crime Scene: Use Forensic Techniques to Arrest Defects, Bottlenecks, and Bad Design in Your Programs
  • HTML5 and CSS3: Develop with Tomorrow's Standards Today
  • Commitment
  • The Art of Software Testing
  • Test Driven: Practical TDD and Acceptance TDD for Java Developers
  • Scrumban: Essays on Kanban Systems for Lean Software Development
  • The Book of CSS3: A Developer's Guide to the Future of Web Design
  • Refactoring to Patterns

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
“many teams that say they have an estimation problem actually have a negotiation problem. A manager asks for an estimate. The team says, “That will take four days.” The manager makes a counteroffer, “Can you make it two?” This is no longer a discussion about estimates. It’s a negotiation.” 0 likes