Start by marking “Fireproof” as Want to Read:
Fireproof

Fireproof

3.8  ·  Rating details ·  143 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
Equal parts crime fiction, dark urban fantasy and black comedy.

Hell hath no fury for Mike Rocks. He's fireproof; an anomaly caused by a slip-up in afterlife bureaucracy. Lucifer bundles him off as an embarrassing problem with a mission to introduce Satanism to Northern Ireland. And while he's at it, Mike can exact revenge on the men who took his life.
Published August 10th 2012 by Blasted Heath

To ask other readers questions about Fireproof, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fireproof

Josh
Aug 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Similar yet distant enough to be a unique take on the occult brand of Satanism. Switching up the fallen angel angle to have a more human feel, Brennan's 'Fireproof' is more than a story of Hell and it's dark angels. Aside from the main plot lies a love story, albeit misguided (and partially built on a common interest in murdering people); the allure of the unnatural combined with a fatal attraction of sorts (fatal by means of the mortal bodies Mike occupies) adds another element to the reincarna ...more
Col
Sep 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012, b
I was lucky enough to get a copy of this from the publisher.
Does that mean I’m expected to praise it to the hilt?
No, I doubt it.

I will start by saying I’m an inexperienced book reviewer, though I do tend to rely a lot on what other people say about books before purchasing most of the time. I find it to difficult to determine how much of the story to discuss without giving away too much of the plot and how the finale unfolds. (Spoiler alert!)

Previously, I’ve found myself re-hashing the synopsis
Benoit Lelièvre
Mar 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
I liked FIREPROOF. Can't say I loved it, but I liked it and can definitively get behind its ideas. It's the form that bothered me. Like for WEE ROCKETS, Brennan took a starting point and developed from there instead of having a complete story bottled. While it worked wonders and fit WEE ROCKETS perfectly (WEE ROCKETS being a social novel), but here it hampers the satirical potential of the novel, or at least I thought it did.

But it would be unfair to severely punish FIREPROOF for that since it's
Sean
Oct 26, 2016 rated it did not like it
I started reading this with a flourish thinking blurb sounded really interesting,

Woah, I was really quite disappointed as 25% through I am thinking that I am just not feeling this and wondering where it is going to go.

The premise sounded really good and I was so looking forward to it. But It got really slow and I hate to say quite boring and I could go no further.

I don't know if it was just the writing style or whether the author was just trying too hard to be funny;dark and unsettling. But to h
Richard
Mar 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
This is a wonderful piece of modern day fantasy. Gerard Brennan writes with dark humour reflecting on the blackest aspects of violence in Northern Ireland. He doesn't marginalise the troubles, deaths or senseless violence he brings fresh eyes and subverts it with comedic situations.
This is a challenge to the many words used to justify a position and in allegorical symbolism and almost parable like narrative he helps the reader take a fresh perspective.
The result is a novel that will help you s
Jennifer Thomson
A book for fans of US TV show Reaper

Fireproof marks a departure for Gerard Brennan. It's not about the mean streets of Belfast, although they do feature as the backdrop.

The main character is murderer Mike, dead and in hell. But Mike doesn't scare easy. He uses his scything wit to keep himself sane, in between sewing his limbs back on when the demon he rooms with rips them off.

When he has a chance to leave hell by Lucifer, by 'becoming a civil servant for Satan' in exchange for a mortal body, t
Peter
Jun 04, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Heavenly and Hellish in equal measure.

Lots of laugh out loud moments but also times when I nearly out the book down unfinished. It will not go on my list of books to read again but glad I persevered with it.
Ms J Linney
Apr 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great new story

Fun innovative as a great read. Meet Mike Rocks a man who returns from Hell again and again, all to set up The new church of Lucifer. Excellent. Hope there's a sequel.
Kevin Grigg
Jun 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Fun bit of chewing gum for the eyes. Nothing to dislike about this story, nice twist on the whole heaven and hell subject.
Ian Ayris
Sep 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Gerard Brennan is one of those names in the circles I have come to know that oozes quality. Having read his WEE ROCKETS a short while back I was keen to have a look at his next outing - FIREPROOF - as quick as I could.

I was not disappointed.

Mmm . . . 'equal parts crime fiction, dark urban fantasy, and black comedy' - well there's a thing, eh. And I'd have to say it's a pretty accurate description.
FIREPROOF begins with Mike, a former Belfast bad boy, in Hell, being swallowed by his room-mate - a
Karren321
Feb 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
I liked this book and most fantasy these days bores me

I thought the ending was a little too lovey dovey for the nature of the book
Paul
Dec 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
The story opens with Mike in Hell. Literally. Mike's bored. He has a very high pain threshold & his Personal Tormentor, or as Mike likes to call him/it, his roomie, Astheiziachial (Mike likes to call him “Wriggly Worm”) just doesn't terrorize him any more, if he ever did. Mike suggests WW ask the Boss for a transfer. WW sulks. But concedes it's the only course of action. After all WW has his rep as a vicious tormentor of damned souls to consider.

I'm paraphrasing;

In due course Lucifer summ
Keith Nixon
Dec 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Mike Rocks is, literally, in Hell. He’s given a choice by Lucifer himself – stay in the nether region for the rest of eternity or return to earth and set up a Satanic religion in Belfast. Mike takes the latter path, in part because he has his own unfinished business, getting revenge on the people that sent him to Hell in the first place. Before long, Mike’s mission is well underway, but then Cathy Maguire, wannabe contract killer, crosses his path and things start to get complicated.

This is a un
Researcher-a
Well, fuck me sideways! What a bloody excellent book! Really. It’s brilliant!

*some slight hint-y-type spoilers below*

It's packed brim(stone)ful with dark, violent humour and gittish little demons that fully deserve to be stuffed inside hand dryers and electrocuted. I loved this book and found myself giggling aloud through most of it.

There’s some great characterisation and storytelling. The plot is fairly fluid and fast-moving, never lingering on one scene for too long. It’s very intelligently w
Edward
Aug 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
I had always heard that Gerard Brennan was a crime writer. So imagine my surprise when reading the first chapter of Fireproof. It came off a lot more like Bizarro (a genre of humorous, weird and absurd fiction) than traditional crime fare. The rest of the book doesn't stay as crazy as this first chapter but still continues to be weird. In a good way.

Mike Rocks is a guy sent from hell by Lucifer to start the True Church Of Satanism. Then he dies. He's sent back again and, well, dies again. He fin
Ryan Bracha
Feb 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Thoroughly enjoyed this book, which rightly or wrongly, set me in mind of a better version of Little Nicky. Perhaps in other hands, the story of a murdered man being sent back to Earth from Hell to wreak havoc by punting satanism to the disillusioned masses would have resulted in a macabre horror-fest filled to the brim with things I'm not bothered about. However, the way Gerard Brennan injects a fantastic sense of humour, three dimensional characters, and dialogue that a lot of other writers wo ...more
glitrbug
Sep 29, 2012 rated it did not like it
The publisher's notes on the book peaked my interest. I love urban fantasy, dark humor and stories about Belfast. I watch the BBC America series "Being Human" and loved "Of Blood and Honey (A Book of the Fey and the Fallen") by Stina Leicht. The newsletter from the publisher said they were looking for early readers so I sent them a note telling them I read a lot of urban fantasy and science fiction but not horror. Don't send me any horror.
I didn't find any humor in this book. To me, putting s
Macpudel
Sep 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
At first I thought this was just your basic mucking about with heaven and hell. Then the writing style started growing on me, almost a grittier PG Wodehouse. Gradually I realized that this funny sort of fantasy novel had a bigger point to make about Northern Ireland. The morality in the novel is not black and white (or good and evil) any more than the political situation there is. Brennan's light touch will make this an enjoyable read, whether you agree with my interpretation or not. If you enjo ...more
Danny
Aug 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Meet Mike Rocks. Mike is a regular guy living in Belfast, or so it seems. As it turns out, Mike is the very charismatic leader of the True Church of Satan on Earth, and as such, has some very unique co-stars, including an imp that appears on his shoulder to give advice, and a three-headed dog that doles out punishment.

FIREPROOF is a lighthearted romp through Hell (and in some cases, Hell on Earth) that reminds me of the works of Sam Raimi. If you like irreverent books that deal with larger-than
Brandon Nagel
Aug 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Wow. What a story. I have never read anything like this before. A new direction for Brennan. I wasn't sure that I was going to like this because I love Brennan's crime novels. This is a must read for someone who wants a change in their usual reading material. Loved it from start to finish!
Barac Wiley
May 09, 2013 rated it liked it
Moment to moment, Fireproof is moderately entertaining. It just never really winds up going anywhere or gelling as a whole experience. Still, despite the deeply questionable cover, you could do worse for devil-related shenanigans.
Mark Wilson
Aug 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Part Irish crime, part keyhole into the afterlife. A fun romp through hell and Belfast from the ever-reliable Brennan.
Charlie Durell
Oct 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Very different, funny but not in a laugh out loud kind of way.
Well written.
Will look out for another from Gerard, thats for sure
G8tes
Nov 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Very entertaining and quite a departure from Brennan's previous crime novel Wee Rockets. Really enjoyed it.
Barry Graham
Aug 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Think of the very best of Martin Millar's novels. Now imagine them with torture and violence, and you've got some idea of this brilliant book.
Jean Campbell
May 01, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Addt'l info needs to be added 4 23 Aug 23, 2012 01:17PM
  • Hard Bite
  • We Are The Hanged Man (DCI Jericho, #1)
  • The Vanity Game
  • All The Young Warriors (Mustafa and Adem, #1)
  • Graves' End
  • The Bastard Hand
  • Shotgun Gravy (Atlanta Burns #1.1)
  • 8 Pounds: Eight Tales of Crime, Horror, & Suspense
  • Death's Avatar (Descent, #0.5)
  • Hive (No Man's Land #1)
  • On Unfaithful Wings (Icarus Fell, #1)
  • Stinking Rich
  • The First One You Expect
  • Realms Of The Red Rabbit: (Realms Of The Red Rabbit Series, Book 1)
  • Old Ghosts
  • Federales
  • The Killing of Emma Gross
  • Dark Waters
Gerard Brennan's latest novel is Undercover, a Belfast cop thriller. His short stories have appeared in a number of anthologies; including three volumes of The Mammoth Book of Best British Crime and Belfast Noir. He co-edited Requiems for the Departed, a collection of crime fiction based on Irish myths which won the 2011 Spinetingler Award for best anthology. His novella, The Point, was published ...more

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• World After (Penryn & the End of Days, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fortune's Rising (Outer Bounds #1)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • End of Days (Penryn & the End of Days, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Beginning of the End (Apocalypse Z, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Going Wild (Going Wild #1)
  • Renegade: The Lost Books, Book 3
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Awakening (The Vampire Diaries, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Making History
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Godsgrave (The Nevernight Chronicle, #2)
    $10.99 $2.99
  • Carve the Mark (Carve the Mark, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
    $12.99 $3.99
  • Enchantress (Evermen Saga, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Glass Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #2)
  • Let the Right One In: A Novel
  • Come Out Tonight
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Iron Trial (Magisterium #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • First Drop of Crimson (Night Huntress World, #1)
  • Fawkes
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Sticks & Stones (Upside-Down Magic #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Hidden Relic (Evermen Saga, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Soul of the Fire (Sword of Truth #5)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress, #2)
  • The Witch's Vacuum Cleaner and Other Stories
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Last Namsara (Iskari #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Rift Uprising (The Rift Uprising Trilogy #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Girl from Everywhere (The Girl From Everywhere, #1)
  • A Game of Thrones: The Graphic Novel: Volume One
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Temple of the Winds (Sword of Truth Book 4)
    $9.99 $2.49
  • The Witch's Daughter (The Witch's Daughter, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Winter King: A Novel of Arthur (Warlord Chronicles)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Red Knight (The Traitor Son Chronicles, #1)
  • 14
    $7.99 $2.49
  • Journey to the Center of the Earth
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Riot (Peter Grant, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Venom in the Veins (Elemental Assassin, #17)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The City of Brass (The Daevabad Trilogy, #1)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • I, Robot
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Wizard's First Rule (Sword of Truth, #1)
    $8.99 $2.49
  • Running with the Demon (Word & Void #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Infomocracy (The Centenal Cycle, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Atopia Chronicles (Atopia, #1)