Start by marking “Implementing Domain-Driven Design” as Want to Read:
Implementing Domain-Driven Design

Implementing Domain-Driven Design

Implementing Domain-Driven Design presents a top-down approach to understanding domain-driven design (DDD) in a way that fluently connects strategic patterns to fundamental tactical programming tools. Vaughn Vernon couples guided approaches to implementation with modern architectures, highlighting the importance and value of focusing on the business domain while balancing ...more
Published February 6th 2013 by Addison-Wesley Professional (first published 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Implementing Domain-Driven Design, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Implementing Domain-Driven Design

Start your review of Implementing Domain-Driven Design
Alessandro
Apr 14, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: it
The amount of frustration I felt reading this book is directly proportional to the value I see in domain-driven design.

As others have noted you'll have to read a lot for little information. I totally agree and here are a couple of examples I have at hand:
[p. 402 - Repositories - Introduction]
"there are circumstances under which a collection-oriented design will work for you, and circumstances when it is best to use a presistence-oriented design. I first discuss when to use and how to create a co
Piotr
Oct 10, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: it
It was a really painful book to read. I had some rough idea what DDD is about beforehand and most of the time I was bored. There were some new inspiring insights, some useful structured explanation how things should be done, but most of the contents were rather dull. I hope there is a better introductory book for DDD, as I cannot recommend this one.

Whenever there was a text explaining an example code, I usually read about 10% of it, because 90% of it talked about things that were obvious by look
Sebastian Gebski
Feb 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
It's good, but it was supposed to be better.
First, it doesn't repeat the basics from the Blue Book - that's a pro.
Second, it extends the DDD content by some ideas that appeared in DDD lingo after Blue Book appeared (like Domain Events) - that's a pro as well.
Third, it contains a very, VERY good appendix about event sourcing - that's a big pro.

But the majority of content is ... a bit unconvincing, you can't feel much of the value added. Examples are said to mimick RL, but they don't seem really c
Rob
Apr 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Seriously serious software engineers and their architects.
Shelves: 2017, 2016, technical
Short version: excellent book on the DDD philosophy, and both the strategic and tactical patterns that you can use to apply that philosophy to your software projects. Be forewarned though, this all comes with a cost, and requires significant discipline. For best results, read as part of a group or book club.

A few additional details:

1. If you're in a hurry, read Domain-Driven Design DistilledDomain-Driven Design Distilled. Given that IDDD is over 600 pages, it is... comprehensive. If you just nee
Tomasz Bartczak
Dec 13, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: software
It's quite slow and steady, and some Java examples are really not presenting what they should, e.g. Publish-Subscribe implementation with crazy ThreadLocal in there... https://books.google.pl/books?id=X7Dp...

Miloš Milivojević
DDD Masterworks: the Red Book - check!

Let me first start with a list of the book's failings.

First off, I can't see anyone taking in everything that this book has to offer without first going through the Blue Book (colloquial name for Eric Evans's seminal DDD book) and let's be honest - that one can be a tough nut to crack and people can get stuck reading it (guilty as charged, had to return to it and start from the beginning half a year later).

Secondly, I wish the author took his own advice on d
Ieva Gr
Jun 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: technical
Follows “real life” team navigating from bad to good design decisions
Provides considerations of benefits and drawbacks for most decisions taken (which I think is awesome for exercising your own critical thinking – trying to see with how many of these you could come up yourself)
Provides implementation examples with code snippets and explanations
Additional information about things like Architecture styles, RESTful’ness and etc.
Ranil Wijeyratne
Dec 23, 2019 rated it liked it
It's a terrible read, don't get me wrong: what's being said is great it's just soooooo long and not fun to read. I'd recommend his "distilled" book and then dive into the specific subjects when needed with other resources (incl. this book)
Guilherme Labrego
Dec 06, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: creditas
This book was so terrible and painful to read that I almost forgot to write a review and tell why I disliked this. I think that Alessandro’s review reflects exactly what I felt reading this “big ball of mud”.

Benjamin
I don't remember ever struggling more to get through a book than when reading this one. I kept feeling like the requirements to properly understand the book included "having read this book already" – kind of difficult.

Much of this came down to the author's decision to start with the strategic patterns before covering the tactical ones. He gives a reason for doing so, which I can't remember, but I do remember that he references the tactical patterns an awful lot before actually covering them. I d
Kaspars Laizans
Got it, because was recommended by a colleague, who did read Evan`s Blue Book (BB) and this. He said, that this is easier to read and better suited for getting into DDD. Haven't read BB yet, but IDDD seems a bit chaotic, as if it's meant to be a reference book. First chapters often refer to last chapters, which require some understanding of previous chapters. I would call it a dependency hell.
It does have some good points and examples, but generally wouldn't recommend as a book for a beginner.
Dina Bogdan
Jan 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I've read the book from a junior perspective that faced before some DDD principles and implementations. Also, I've read before the book several articles and viewed some talks about Domain Driven Design. The book helped me to understand what I've already faced before, to create a mindset of how I should develop a project from a DDD perspective, or how to improve your team velocity using DDD strategies and tactics.
The book is structured really well, has a lot of code examples that are pretty simpl
Lai Duy Ha
May 29, 2014 rated it liked it
When you doubt about what you believed before about N-Layer. When you are struggling for determine the logic with big service layer, and dump (anemic) models with ORM & DTO then this book is for you.

As DDD - Tackling Complexity could be consider as theory textbook. Implementing DDD filling the gap between theory and practical.

It points out the pitfalls of our current architecture design (N-layers), and show how could we re-thinking about design approach with practical examples. You will find you
Oleksandr
Nov 18, 2013 rated it it was ok
Hard language, not very good examples. I started reading Evans book, I didn't understood why I even started reading this book.
Nicolás Laurito
Feb 25, 2018 rated it it was ok
Tedious. Repetitive, ambiguous explanations. Too implementative. Unnecessarily long.
Shahriyar Nasir
Jun 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An essential read for all software developers, Implementing Domain Driven Design provides practical guidance on how to understand and model the problem spaces encountered by software. Vaughn Vernon goes into depth in each chapter starting out with the Strategic DDD patterns and finishing up with the Tactical patterns. I especially liked the story that he laced throughout of a team that encountered domain modeling challenges. This team used DDD to overcome each challenge. IDDD is a dense book and ...more
Michał Olejnik
Ok, so I have definitely mixed feelings about this book. I'm a big fan of the DDD itself and the original book by Eric Evans. I've heard a lot of good things about this book as well and my expectations were high. And I'm afraid they weren't quite met unfortunately. The part dedicated to strategic DDD is good. The concepts are explained thoroughly and understandably, the examples are easy on point and the whole part reads well enough and stood the test of time. But the part dedicated to tactical ...more
Peter Rybarczyk
Sep 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Ok, I made a big mistake by taking this book before the blue one. But still, there is a lot of knowledge worth of reading. But now for someone (like me) who just want to start a more professional journey with DDD. After some discussions with colleagues, I skipped the last few chapters of this book and i am going to start with Destiled and Evans book. Later, read Folwer Enterprise Patterns one more time.

And then, for sure I'm going to read this book one more but another way than I just did, read
Victor
Mar 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-tech
This book takes a more practical approach than the Blue Book. It doesn't try to redefine all the DDD concepts. The author shows how to apply DDD on a project and how the DDD patterns can influence your design (strategic and tactical), with pros and cons. I liked the fact that all examples were part of a single domain, even though they were not very challenging.

Chapters that I enjoyed most:
- Domain, Subdomains and Bounded Contexts
- Domain Events
- Aggregates
- Aggregates and Event Sourcing
Ben
Apr 14, 2018 rated it liked it
DDD introduced a new way of looking at enterprise software engineering. Whilst the "Strategic modeling" part is vague and difficult to apply, the "tactical modeling" is very applicable and I found useful. All in all, I wish this book would be 200 pages shorter. To many chapters are not engaging enough. I highly recommend book when working on a DDD codebase - the book provides good theory, but without practice it won't stick.
Selim
May 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It greatly explains most of things that you may not get in the first time while reading Blue Book. Chapters are organized well and well explained by real world examples and trade-offs. For me, Blue Book was mostly theory but this book is the practice. Now many of the things are clear for me because after reading Blue Book I had a lot of questions in mind. Really recommended for people who are interested to learn more about DDD.
DANIEL
Jan 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Before you read this book, you have to read "Domain-Driven Design" by Eric Evans.

This is the book where you can find a reference about how to implement in real life the thoretical concepts regarding to DDD. It is a dense book, like the previous one, but it is full of code examples where you can take a real good idea about how to implement this pattern.

It is useful if you want to start a microservice applications based on this design.
Renanreismartins
Mar 26, 2020 rated it it was ok
This book is ridiculously repetitive, it feels like it was not even reviewed by the publisher. The author introduces a lot of well known and old concepts of good practices of OO with a new name, as if it is a completely new thing. The code examples have really strange practices even for the time it was written.

There are some good concepts inside the book, but could be way more concise. I would suggest another title, this is too dense for very little useful information.
Gishu Pillai
Mar 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Good book although it started going over my head from Chapter 13 onwards.

NOT a page turner and the running example of a building a project mgmt tool didn't help at all. In fact, it contributed more to the drudgery of finishing this book.

Didn't care much for the cowboy duo and their jokes either.
Dmitry
Apr 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Vernon gives thorough treatment to the DDD topic, covering lots of ambiguity in concepts that I had in mind after finishing Evans’s DDD. Highly recommended. Also, make sure to check out sample code on github.
Michał Niczyporuk
Jun 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: technical, design
This book is way better then Evans' 'blue book' . Its written in plain English, using simple examples.
Chapter by chapter we're introduced into new elements of DDD, and author explains all neuances very well.
Cheng Xu
Jul 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book provides many practical advices and tips for implementing a DDD system. However, in the ebook version (Safari Online), the code examples are not very easy to read, and some concepts are not very clearly explained (e.g. Appication Service vs Domain Service).
Jan
Sep 16, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Too much Java. Too much noise. The best chapter was appendix by Abdullin Rinat. But still, I will probably re-read this book since there is a lot of knowledge inside.

But definitely not in polish - translation is... just too far.
Antonio
Apr 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Very good technical book, if you are interested in Domain Driven Design this is your go to for questions. It's like the Bible but for DDD very big but worth every page. The examples are very clear and it's explained from the basics.
Marko Kunic
Oct 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
I never read it cover to cover because I really don't like all the cowboy reference, but I always open it when I need a refresher.

Great book, can be used as a catalogue of DDD patterns.

• Domain-Driven Design: Tackling Complexity in the Heart of Software
  • Patterns Principles and Practices of Domain Driven Design
  • Head First Design Patterns
  • The Clean Coder: A Code of Conduct for Professional Programmers
  • Design Patterns: Elements of Reusable Object-Oriented Software
  • Domain Modeling Made Functional: Tackle Software Complexity with Domain-Driven Design and F#
  • The DevOps Handbook: How to Create World-Class Agility, Reliability, and Security in Technology Organizations
  • The Pragmatic Programmer: From Journeyman to Master
  • Working Effectively with Legacy Code
  • Shape Up: Stop Running in Circles and Ship Work that Matters
  • Refactoring to Patterns

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »

News & Interviews

“Developing software that delivers true business value is not the same thing as developing ordinary business software. Software that delivers true business value aligns with the business strategic initiatives and bears solutions with clearly identifiable competitive advantage—software that is not about technology, but about the business.” 1 likes
“It is more desirable for Entities to have equals() and hashCode() methods that are based on the object’s unique identity rather than other attributes.” 1 likes