Start by marking “The Most Dangerous Game” as Want to Read:
The Most Dangerous Game

Read Book* *Different edition

The Most Dangerous Game

3.93  ·  Rating details ·  42,472 ratings  ·  1,537 reviews
The Most Dangerous Game features a big-game hunter from New York who becomes shipwrecked on an isolated island in the Caribbean and is hunted by a Russian aristocrat.
Published July 2nd 2006 by Filiquarian Publishing, LLC. (first published January 19th 1924)

To ask other readers questions about The Most Dangerous Game, please sign up.
Georgina Brandt not sure why this book is assigned at school. There are other books about people shipwrecked like: Robinson Crusoe, and also the famous Robert L Steve…morenot sure why this book is assigned at school. There are other books about people shipwrecked like: Robinson Crusoe, and also the famous Robert L Stevenson's book Kidnapped.
Kidnapped the person gets shipwrecked somewhere in England, not a
deserted island.(less)

·  42,472 ratings  ·  1,537 reviews

Start your review of The Most Dangerous Game
Stephen
A Goodreads Pop Quiz:

QUESTION: What do Gilligan, Jean-Claude Van Damme, Homer Simpson and this Star Trek alien** have in common?
936full-jean--claude-van-damme-1-1-1v2

ANSWER (select the one that best applies):

1. None of them could act their way out of a puff of smoke.

2. They all starred in adaptations of Richard Connell’s famous short story “The Most Dangerous Game.”

3. They are all very happy NOT to be Jan Michael Vincent.
Photobucket

4. All of the above.

Yes, it was an easy, soft ball of a question; the correct answer is 4.

**Removing th
Bobby Underwood
Jan 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Richard Connell’s The Most Dangerous Game is one of the most enduring and timeless short stories ever penned. Its reputation is well deserved, as Connell grabs the reader instantly and spins a tale that while exciting, has broader implications than a simple adventure tale. It is probably most famous today due to the film starring Joel McCrea and Fay Wray, which was shot around the same time as King Kong and used many of the same sets. Connell's short story, while not having the feminine characte ...more
PattyMacDotComma
Feb 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: short story fans, thriller fans
‘Off there to the right—somewhere—is a large island,’ said Whitney.

‘It's rather a mystery—’

‘What island is it?’
Rainsford asked.

‘The old charts call it “Ship-Trap Island,” Whitney replied. ‘A suggestive name, isn't it? Sailors have a curious dread of the place. I don't know why. Some superstition—’

This is why I love short stories. It’s a wonderful, well-known classic, first published in 1924. Who needs a whole novel? Who needs The Hunger Games? I wouldn’t be surprised if this was the inspi
Duane
A man accidentally falls off a yacht at night, luckily (or unluckily) close to an ominous, dark island. He soon discovers it is inhabited by a Russian big game hunter who has become bored with his easy success, and has now taken up hunting Man as it proves to be a bigger, more entertaining challenge. Very well written and certainly deserves it's inclusion in the "50 greatest short stories" list.
Fred Shaw
Jun 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Most Dangerous Game, by Richard Connell. A very short classic story published in 1924. Regardless of the length, I don't think I have been more scared by any book. The story begins as 2 friends, skilled big game hunters, are sailing in the Caribbean on their way to hunt jaguar along the Amazon River. One of the men loses his footing and falls overboard while on a moonlit stroll around the deck. What happened to him is for you to find out. I don't do spoilers! Leave it to say that you should ...more
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Hounds of Zaroff = The Most Dangerous Game, Richard Connell
The Most Dangerous Game, is a short story by Richard Connell, first published in Collier's on January 19, 1924. The story features a big-game hunter from New York City who falls off a yacht and swims to what seems to be an abandoned and isolated island in the Caribbean, where he is hunted by a Russian aristocrat. The story is inspired by the big-game hunting safaris in Africa and South America that were particularly fashionable among
Swaroop Kanti
Jul 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The sensuous drowsiness of the night was on him. "It's so dark," he thought, "that I could sleep without closing my eyes; the night would be my eyelids -"

Richard Connell's The Most Dangerous Game is, as the name suggests, an exciting and adventurous game... A game of life and death!

The theme of this 1924 published short story is the Hunter vs the Hunted.
Nataliya
Apr 06, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012-reads, shorts
My favorite part of this 1924 story was a brief but satisfying cameo appearance by BORSCH, as in "the rich, red soup with whipped cream so dear to Russian palates". Excuse me for a second while I salivate.

"Great sport, hunting."
"The best sport in the world," agreed Rainsford.
"For the hunter," amended Whitney. "Not for the jaguar."
Rainsford is a hunter who (very conveniently for the plot purposes of this very compact story) utters statements such as, "The world is made up of two classes—
Mike (the Paladin)
I read this in college, in a "Lit" class. It was one of those exercises where the Professor gives you two stories and your supposed to compare them "qualitatively". I don't remember what the second story was, I found this one vastly superior...and really "ticked off" the prof. You see, I was 30 when I went back to school to get a degree and apparently didn't have the "proper deference" for the professor's....position. The man was an elitist snob who was impressed enough with himself for all of u ...more
Pooja
Dec 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: short-novels
If you're out there for short stories, this one is for you!

Short but raised a lot of questions in my mind like what makes human different than animals?
Is it the desire that one hunts for fun rather than for food?

And the lines of psychopath Zaroff,

There is no greater bore than perfection!

Oh my!

[image error]
Alex ☣ Deranged KittyCat ☣
You can listen to this story on YouTube.

I've seen many film adaptations of The Most Dangerous Game, but I've never read it until now.
I liked it and I think the ending was befitting of General Zaroff.

He had never slept in a better bed, Rainsford decided.
Bill Lynas
Nov 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've always enjoyed the 1932 film version of The Most Dangerous Game, but this is the first time I've read the short story that it was based on. I was prompted to pick it up after reading the latest Jack Reacher novel by Lee Child & thought that it reminded me of the old movie. Still, if you're going to borrow a plot idea then you might as well borrow one of the best.
Although Richard Connell's story has been filmed many times (& adapted in many ways) it's incredible how refreshing this 1924 stor
debbicat
Oct 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved it!!! One of my favorite stories. Very memorable and has stuck with me for years. First read it when student teaching in 1996 in a 9th grade literature class. What a thrilling story. It has some really beautiful writing. Some of my favorites are:

"Ugh! It's like moist velvet." (Rainsford speaking of the night.)

"The best sport in the world," agreed Rainsford.

"For the hunter," amended Whitney. "Not for the jaguar."

"Don't talk rot, Whitney," said Rainsford. "You're a big-game hunter, not a p
Jim
Nov 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
An excellent short story of about 8000 words that I read every decade or so & still get a thrill out of. It should be well known by everyone after all the movies, acknowledgements, & outright rip-offs of the plot. If you don't know it, it is a must-read & is available for free here:

There is a scary amount of realism to the story, especially in the time that it was written. Best - or possibly worst - is how easy it is for me to understand the General's POV.
Pop
Jun 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this little short story when I was about 12 or 13 years old, in what we called grammar school, some 50 years ago. It has always been in the background of my memory as a story that gave me the desire to read and explore the world of literature. I had to reread this again, and thanks to Bobby Underwood I remembered this great classic and found it. Thanks Bobby, it was a fun read, one I'll probably read again sometime if I live long enough. It is a masterpiece of classic literature IMHO. May ...more
Sarah Marie
Aug 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: people who don't aspire to be serial killers
The Most Dangerous Game by Richard Connell

5 stars (Originally 4.25 stars)

Update: It's been almost five years since I read this short story as a freshman in high school and recently I read Zodiac by Robert Graysmith. Since becoming familiar with the killings the Zodiac executed, as well as the possible ones he may have committed, I wanted to reread this short story. Zodiac pretty much copies all of Zaroff's obsession with hunting humans. It's quite fascinating to read such an old short story tha

Chadi Raheb
The whole reason of reading this short story was because I'd forgotten to bring a book with me at work so I could read during my coffee break, So a colleague of mine handed a book over & insisted on reading specifically this story in it so we could talk about it later. I did. & now I regret!

The first two pages were amusing enough, but the rest of it was a real boredom to me. God I just wanted it to be over! Thanks to my dear brain which can connect lots of things together, I could guess the "sur
Sara Santos
Interesting premise, if it was a full book not a short story.
Sara
Apr 12, 2017 rated it liked it
This was not a new story for me. I read it years ago, probably in high school. I cannot recall the reaction I had then, and this is one of those tales that you cannot react the same way once you know the outcome.

It does spark some interesting thoughts about putting yourself in someone else's shoes. I liked this line:
Sometimes I think evil is a tangible thing--with wave lengths, just as sound and light have. An evil place can, so to speak, broadcast vibrations of evil."

I'm not sure an evil place
Alyssa
Sep 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Definitely a very intriguing and thrilling read for me! Though it could've been a little longer because it took me only 10 minutes to read this XD

Recommends It For: Someone looking for an extremely short read with a bit of horror, thriller, excitement, and just a whole lot of awesomeness!
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
Jun 30, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of good adventure stories
I always loved the 'pulpy' type stories we had to read in school more than the serious, cerebral ones. This is a favorite. I loved the irony of the situation faced by the characters in this book: the hunters becoming hunted. Really thrilling, yet short read.
Ayesha (The Fifth Marauder)
I love short stories because they can be exceptionally difficult to write, but entertaining to read. This book was action packed, and not a single moment was boring. Connell did a great job at building tension, and I loved the characters. Dark and intense, a great read.
mwana
Is there a movie for this? Because I would pay to see that. A lot.
Tiffany Neal
Feb 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012, adult-classics
Oddly enough, this morning my husband and I were watching a show on Robert Hanson, the serial killer that hunted and murdered women in Alaska as if they were prey. That led to a discussion about a book that he remembered reading (I use that term loosely, since he is not a big reader, but more of a skimmer) back in high school. He couldn't remember the name of the book, but he swore it had something to do with games (he even suggested The Hunger Games at one point - lol) and there was a picture o ...more
F.R.
Feb 28, 2016 rated it liked it
So, the hunter becomes the hunted….

What we have in ‘The Most Dangerous Game’ is a fun, old fashioned, boy’s own tale. A big game hunter (who, in an opening more comic than its supposed to be, leans too far over the rail of a boat and drops into the ocean – which hardly suggests the steely-eyed precision we’re supposed to expect from this character) finds himself the prey of a madman on a deserted island. The dialogue is clunky and the prose can be kindly called basic, but the sense of by-gone ad
Allison Tebo
Classy and chilling at the same time - a fast paced adventure full of atmosphere and set on a claustrophobic setting. Also an interesting commentary on how man without God--living with an evolution based mindset--sinks into the sickening mindset of viewing humans as animals and prey to be hunted down and destroyed.

Because of the intense subject and some violence - this short story is best for older readers.
Zuky the BookBum
Mar 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
So. Many. Short. Stories.

Sometimes these kinds of weird, old school, random books really hook me, but I can't explain why. This is one of them. This story has the most simple of plot lines, yet it does so well to inflict fear and excitement into the reader.

I loved the writing. I loved the tension. I loved the plot. I loved the psychopath. I loved the ending.
Hákon Gunnarsson
Sep 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
The first time I read this story it was in some comic book adaption, I honestly can't remember much about that version, but this time I read the original.

The beginning reminds me of H.G. Wells' The Island of Dr. Moreau, but the story soon takes a different turn. I probably don't have to say where it goes. I think the plot is fairly well known by now. The whole thing has to do with hunting.

The story is pretty well built up. The beginning echoes the end in an interesting way. A good short story
Karla
Nov 18, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Karla by: Stephen
Shelves: ebook
It's been awhile since I've seen the 1930s movie version with Joel McCrea, but I think I like the story better by virtue of the lack of padding that was done to make it a feature film. The story itself is a lean and mean little tale of terror, with a simple moral of hunter becoming the hunted and a final sentence that caps it off brilliantly.
Marianne
Sep 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Most Dangerous Game is a short story by American journalist and author, Richard Connell. Rainsford is on a boat with Whitney, headed south to do some big game hunting in the Amazon. But a slight accident sees him swimming for shore, and shore is an island known on old charts as Ship-Trap Island. There, encounters a strange fellow and soon finds himself in an unenviable position. A classic short story with quite a twist at the end.
And then what? 2 12 Aug 04, 2019 02:58PM
Review 1 8 Sep 17, 2018 09:39AM
Classic Trash: The Most Dangerous Game - Book vs Movie (Spoilers) 4 17 Mar 24, 2016 01:00PM
Classic Trash: The Most Dangerous Game - (Possible Spoilers) 6 13 Mar 24, 2016 12:58PM

• The Cask of Amontillado
  • The Monkey's Paw (Oxford Bookworms)
  • The Lottery
  • The Sniper
  • The Scarlet Ibis
  • An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge
  • The Gift of the Magi
  • The Interlopers (Tale Blazers)
Richard Edward Connell, Jr. was an American author and journalist, best known for his short story "The Most Dangerous Game." Connell was one of the best-known American short story writers of his time and his stories appeared in the Saturday Evening Post and Collier's Weekly. Connell had equal success as a journalist and screenwriter. He was nominated for an Academy Award in 1942 for best original ...more