Start by marking “Doctor Who: The Resurrection Casket” as Want to Read:
Doctor Who: The Resurrection Casket

Doctor Who: The Resurrection Casket

(Doctor Who: New Series Adventures #9)

Published September 21st 2006 by BBC Books

To ask other readers questions about Doctor Who, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Doctor Who

Ken
Jul 29, 2017 rated it liked it
The Doctor and Rose arrive on a shadowy planet called Starfall, where no modern technology works. They soon become entangled in a quest for a lost treasure known as the Resurrection Casket.

It’s a fun pirate adventure set in space, plenty of action along with the intriguing mystery of the casket too.
Kimberley doruyter
Oct 11, 2013 rated it it was ok
pirates yes but not of the carribean
M. Van
Apr 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Sometimes the kid in me just wants to read something fun and whats not to like about Doctor Who. Besides Ten is my favorite.
Chrissy
Feb 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
It's kind of hit-and-miss with some of these New Series "Doctor Who" tie-in novels - but I really enjoyed this one! The whole story is full of fun little twists leading up to the REALLY BIG twist at the end. The main characters are memorable and fun - so much so that I wish this could have been an episode on TV. I found the audiobook read by David Tennant and his narration was really good. If you're a Tenth Doctor fan still missing your Doctor (it happens), it's worth your time to track down the ...more
Daphne
Nov 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-audio, quest
My third DW book from BBC, and my favorite yet. Steam-powered-space-pirates. Hell yes.
Laura P.
Mar 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved, loved the audiobook! Good plot and great performance. Tennant is a great narrator, he manges to give an unique voice to each character (also who can voice the Doctor better than the Doctor himself? LOL). If only most of the narrators were as great as him...
Joni
Dec 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy-scifi
My favourite of all the ten/Rose books... actually, come to think of it, my favourite of all the DW books in this series, matched only by Sting of the Zygons. Also I loved the audio r\b David Tennant. Rose was little more than useless in some parts, but I liked the Doctor/Drel sparring. Jimm was also interesting. Is it me or do they use 11/12 year olds quite a lot in this range? Ali in Black Island, Jude in Wooden Heart, Ian in Sting of the Zygons... yet another detail which shows that these bo ...more
a hooded figure from your friendly neighbourhood dog park
a nice riff off Treasure Island (the author admits so himself in the interview) in space :) Rose is a bit neglected, but it's not too noticeable.
Sara
Apr 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5/5 stars!

I know my reviews of these are getting repetitive, but this was just like an episode of Doctor Who! David Tennant is (yet again) a FANTASTIC narrator. The plot of this was interesting as well, and a lot of things clicked in the end, making me go "ahhh". Saying too much would give away a lot, so let me just say that this is about space pirates. If space pirates and David Tennant aren't enough to get you to pick up this audio book, then I don't know what is!
Kirstie Ellen
Jul 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Whovians
Shelves: doctor-who, sci-fi
Initial Thoughts Upon Finishing
This was a lot of fun and a fantastic adventure. Doctor Who meets space pirates - nothing better, right? I'd seriously love to see this one televised and I adored all of the characters in it, especially Kevin and Jimm! And ooh, that sneaky plot twist was fantastic.

The Resurrection Casket
I really enjoyed this one! This is definitely one of the better Doctor Who novels that I’ve read. I so, so, so enjoy the stories with David Tennant in them (not just because he is g
Halley Hopson
Apr 10, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 stars!

David Tennant reading Doctor Who audiobooks is always a fun time but it’s even BETTER when it’s a Ten and Rose adventure 💜
RetroWhoGal
Sep 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Doctor Who Fans, Sci-Fi Fans, Robert Louis-Stevenson Fans
Shelves: science-fiction
This is the funniest of the the Doctor Who novellettes I have ever read.

It is a space pirate parody on Treasure Island. The folk-lore and focus of the entire plot centres on the most bloodthirsty Pirate that ever roamed the Space Seas ... Hamlek Glint, that legend has it went into the casket of the books title and has stayed in stasis for the past 50 years.

Meanwhile, the Doctor has landed on a planet called StarFall, an Industrial Revolution style planet, no new technology works, and that incl
Chris
Sep 30, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: doctor-who
A fairly dull Doctor Who adventure. Characterization varies wildly and the plot is fairly predictable.
Helen
Mar 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Starfall - a world on the edge, where crooks and smugglers hide in the gloomy shadows and modern technology refuses to work. And that includes the TARDIS. The pioneers who used to be drawn by the hope of making a fortune from the mines can find easier picking elsewhere. But they still come for the romance of it, or old-fashioned organic mining. Or in the hope of finding the lost treasure of Hamlek Glint - scourge of the spaceways, privateer, adventurer, bandit.

Will the TARDIS ever work again? Is
Valerie
Aug 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent read/listen. Audiobook read by David Tennant who does a superb job; he is so good at getting the feel, personality and way Rose talks. Well, not only Rose, but in other books does Jackie so well with her attitude, and speech pattern. It is just the icing on the cake for the story.
The story itself is very well written. As with many of the books in the Who series, it would have made an awesome episode to watch. Descriptions are very well done; it was very easy to visualize everything an
Adam Graham
Jul 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The Resurrection Casket features space pirates, steam powered evil robots, steam powered spaceships, and a question for lost treasure. The story is strongly influenced by the classic Treasure Island. However, the book avoids merely being "Treasure Island" in space with a lot of clever innovations. Richards does a fabulous job with the evil shadow creature who bares the name of Kevin, a character that's at times fun and others sad.

The Resurrection Casket is a delight and truly an imaginative stor
Callista Cox
Jul 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Doctor Who fans
Shelves: science-fiction
This was only a short little novel at 250 pages, but I loved how the author was able to capture the Doctor's personality throughout the book. Even the way he described the Doctor's subtle little quirks, like how he waves his arms about as he speaks, was spot on! I could almost picture the words popping out of the pages as an actual episode of the TV show.

If you aren't a fan of Doctor Who, I wouldn't recommend it, since you really have to have a good background of watching the show to fully appre
Celeste
Jul 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The best one so far, this has the Doctor and Rose pitted against steampunk space pirates who keep them hopping and skipping through one plot after the next. The reluctant and apologetic villain was a nice touch, and certain Doctor quirks will have you laughing out loud. I read this on Audible.com, unabridged and performed by David Tennant himself, so it was a real treat.
Stephen Osborne
Feb 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
I had a hard time rating this one. After all, you have the 10th Doctor, Rose, pirates, and an apologetic monster named Kevin. What's not to love? The story is brisk and entertaining...but. The but is that it comes across as a bit silly, and while silly certainly has a place in Doctor Who, this seems to overdo it a bit. Still enjoyable, but fluffy.
Angela
The Doctor's TARDIS loses power and they enter a world of steampunk. Everything is powered by steam in space because electronics don't work. There's a mythical pirate treasure and a monster called Kevin. There's some really good ideas here and it is a fun story. A good read.
Helen Cranberry
Jun 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Книга про монстра, который извинялся перед тем, как убивать. Шикарный английский юмор :) годится, чтобы дочитывать в половине восьмого утра в воскресенье))
Kathy Dolan
Aug 08, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: doctor-who
Another enjoyable read, with some genuinely surprising twists, and a monster called Kevin (who couldn't love a monster called Kevin?)
Daphne van der Meer
Jan 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Kari
Bree
Sep 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
This was the last of the audiobooks from the initial Tennant run I had to listen to. Been saving it for years. On the one hand, I wish I'd listened to it sooner because a) it's a good old fun romp and b) it's very heavily inspired by Treasure Island. Very. Heavily. On the other, in the absence of Black Sails and all my piratey beloveds, I'm glad I had this to dive into without any knowledge of its contents.
As a story, it's a pretty straightforward 'battling monsters of varying kinds from all si
Ofir Levy
Sep 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
I'm not entierly sure how I feel about this one...
On one hand, my God it was awesome! all steampunk sort of thing and pirates! pretty cool!
On the other hand, it didn't really have a Doctor Who kind of vibe... I don't know, it just didn't feel very Doctor Who-ish...
On the third hand (if any one might land me one), I really, but I mean really didn't like the way the author wrote Rose. Seriously, She's not that dumb! It was infuriating, this book made me wonder how on earh did the Doctor stand this
Leila Anani
A Dr. Who version of Treasure Island with robot space pirates. This one's quite cool and will appeal to fans of things like Disney's Treasure planet. Tennant reads very well and this never becomes boring. Tennant/Rose era. Fun.
Helen Hnin Oo Lwin
This is a great one. I saw the plot twist coming a mile away but the other aspects of this book kept me hooked till the end. They introduced great, well-rounded characters; which a lot of Doctor Who novels fail to do. Definitely gonna read the book as well as listen to the audio book again.
Melenia
May 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it!
Kat
Jul 31, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars- a very enjoyable read. Nice pacing, good characterisation, and a decent plot. One of the better NSAs that I've read so far.
Books + Movies + ...: I am the Doctor! 117 46 Aug 18, 2012 01:34AM

• Doctor Who: The Stealers of Dreams
  • Doctor Who: The Story of Martha
  • Doctor Who: The Taking of Chelsea 426
  • Doctor Who: Autonomy
Justin Richards is a British writer. He has written many spin off novels based on the BBC science fiction television series Doctor Who, and he is Creative Director for the BBC Books range. He has also written for television, contributing to Five's soap opera Family Affairs. He is also the author of a series of crime novels for children about the Invisible Detective, and novels for older children. ...more

Doctor Who: New Series Adventures (1 - 10 of 69 books)
  • Doctor Who: The Clockwise Man
  • Doctor Who: The Stone Rose
  • Doctor Who: The Feast of the Drowned
  • Doctor Who: The Nightmare of Black Island
  • Doctor Who: The Art of Destruction
“The guards had asked the Doctor to please wait in the hallway until Mr McCavity had time to see him. So it seemed only polite, the Doctor thought, to wait until they had gone before he wandered off to explore the house.” 14 likes
“Hey, tell me, when did this conversation go completely whoosh?” 4 likes