Start by marking “First Rider's Call (Green Rider, #2)” as Want to Read:
First Rider's Call (Green Rider, #2)

First Rider's Call

(Green Rider #2)

GHOSTLY RIDERS

Karigan G'ladheon had been a Green Rider, one of the king of Sacoridia's elite magical messengers. Being a Green Rider was more perilous than Karigan had ever imagined, for a rogue Eletians had cracked the magical D'Yer Wall which had protected Sacoridia for a thousand years from the evil influence of Blackveil Forest--the arboreal prison of Sacoridia's ancie
Published August 3rd 2004 by DAW (first published 2003)

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Damn it! I keep starting BIG series books and having to reread to continue on!! I’m cracking down! I need to quit doing other shit and get on with these tomes and such! Oh, and the series is awesome so far 😃

Happy Reading!

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾
Solseit
Jun 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great continuation of the series.
I found there was more pathos this time, more desperation in the matter, more difficulties to overcome. I just feel invested in this world and in Kerigan's adventures!
Gergana
Feb 08, 2016 marked it as zzz-books-not-for-me
Read in March, 2016. DNF:70%

A highly relaxing and predictable read, great for lulling me to sleep! :)

I enjoyed the first book enough to want to buy a Hard Cover copy and to get my hands on the sequel right away. Maybe if I've tried it earlier in my life-time I would've totally loved it and rereading it would've been a happy nostalgic experience. Unfortunately... it's just plain boring for me. Moving on!
Jenny
Mar 16, 2009 rated it liked it
I really struggled between giving this book two stars or three, but ultimately had to admit that I liked it. I am a sucker for series, and this book really had some good moments. I found myself drawn in and actually reading the book before bed, where with most books I reserve them only for my commute.

So now for the bad...GOOD LORD is this book a rip off of Lord of the Rings! Just like the first one is! Allow me to list the similarities (of course, some of these are carry-overs from Green Rider,
Scott
Jan 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
I am really astonished at how much better First Rider's Call is than Green Rider(#1). This book is much darker than the first, but Britain's prose doesn't feel forced here to become such, as I felt it did throughout Green Rider. In fact, just in general, I feel her writing improved a thousand fold. The world building has become very solid and engaging, the pacing is fantastic, and the interlude excerpts from the Journal of Hadriax el Fex are a great addition to the narrative. Smartly written cha ...more
Bob Milne
Oct 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy-epic
With this year marking the 20th anniversary of the Green Rider series, I stepped back into the series with The Dream Gatherer earlier this month, and it rekindled the magic . . . just as I'd hope it would. I vividly remember reading - and enjoying - Green Rider, and I can only figure that it was the 5-year gap between books that kept me from continuing. My younger self's loss, and my present self's gain.

Despite the years between books, I found myself slipping back into Kristen Britain's world wi
Mikki Crisostomo
It's not often that I want to rip the pages out of a book just so I can finally finish the book and be done with it, so I guess that's one thing First Rider's Call will forever be notable for. But that's not a good thing. I swear, the damn thing would never end and a great deal of nothing was happening the whole time. My copy was 800 pages, and the only time anything truly started to get moving was around the 700 page mark, and at that point you just want it to be over.

I am particularly disappoi
Shayla
Aug 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: women who love sword-fighting women
LOVED IT SO MUCH! I finished this a few days ago and it was so so good. I had really enjoyed book 1, but this blew that one out of the water. An awesome fantasy story, I loved it. I wish I could be a rider or Karigan G'ladheon herself. I was super into the story the whole time, though it was kinda painful because there were so many heart-wrenching deaths and I cried like 4x. This was one of those books that felt written just for me, I love stories where women sword fighting is commonplace

Can't w
Elizabeth
Jan 20, 2010 rated it really liked it
This is the sequel to ‘Green Rider’, and a well done sequel at that.

Karigan G’ladheon had gone home to follow in her fathers footsteps, to be a merchant, determined to leave the world of kings, advisors, and Green Riders, behind. Everyone told her she wouldn’t be able to resist the call of the Riders, that once chosen, you stayed chosen, but she would have none of it. She didn’t want to be a Green Rider, she didn’t want to be a messenger. The brief period she had spent finishing the job of a de
Meg
Mar 04, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I almost gave this one 3-stars like the first book, but let's face it friends--any 600 page book that you finish in 2 days is a 4-star at LEAST. Not a great work of literary prowess, but a GREAT STORY. This time around I cared a lot more about the characters--especially Captain Laren, Lord Alton, and Lil--the "First Rider." I LOVED the time travel aspect of the story. That can just never get old to me--so many possibilities. The world and the magic are entrancing.

That being said, it still bugs m
Matt
May 27, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
I tried to make my through this one, I'm close enough to the end that I might be able to just force myself through the rest of it, but I see no reason to do so, there's nothing about this book that makes me think the payoff would be worth it. For a while I thought I would keep going because maybe the next book would be better, but at this point there's no chance that I'm going to pick up the next book.

I think this is the strongest example I have ever had of the second book by an author failing t
Ren
Apr 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-novels
You know when it’s a nice Sunday afternoon, and it’s raining, and you’re just curled up with a good book and some tea? Well it’s like that except it’s a thunderstorm, and instead of tea you have Kleenex.
Sonja P.
Aug 11, 2014 rated it it was ok
Since I read Lord of the Rings when I was younger, I have had a soft spot for high fantasy. I admit it-I love the sprawling epics and the magic and the long history and the unwritten rules that most of them seem to follow. However, every now and then, I find my appreciation for genre is completely overwhelmed by the ridiculousness of the enterprise.
Green Rider/First Rider’s Call falls into the latter. I so wanted to like it. Its something sixteen year old me would probably have gobbled up immed
Kathleen
Feb 26, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: audio, fantasy-scifi
3.5 stars. Another good read, if slightly too long. I enjoyed the scenes in the ancient past, time travel with Legendary Lil, the first Green Rider. I also enjoyed the journal of Hadriax el Fex, with short, succinct entries. Vivid and scary scenes in the Black Veil.

Interesting plot development involving a secret society, The Second Empire. But hard to believe the Arcosians wouldn't have fully integrated after 1000 years. Only think how (comparatively) quickly the Anglo-Saxons accepted the invad
Mike (the Paladin)
Sep 23, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, epic-fantasy
***Update: The forth book to this "trilogy" was just published. Oh well.

This is a good follow up (second book) in a good trilogy(sorry, series).

*This is a mainly character driven book. The "courier" is in fact an interesting historical character in "his or her" own right. Traditionally given special consideration (passing through enemy lines in battle, traveling enemy territory allowing communication between hostile powers etc.) they are fascinating. Of course what I mention above is the "ideal
Althea Ann
Jun 09, 2010 rated it it was ok
The is a sequel to "The Green Rider," which I read shortly after it came out. It was good enough that I bothered to pick up the sequel - but not so good that I really went out of my way to find it.
"First Rider's Call" continues with more of the same. It's fantasy for those who like long stories with girls, horses, light romance and magic. Adequate, entertaining, but nothing really memorable or remarkable.
Karigan, the young woman who was called to the magical royal messenger service known as the
Kelsey Hanson
Jul 20, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, fiction
Actual Rating: 2.5

This is a personal preference of mine, but I hate time-travelling related stories. I think they tend to get very complicated and not in a way that I find especially interesting. This book was a bit of a let down for me. It seems like the writer was trying to make the story much more complex from the first one, but the plot plods along too slowly for it to really pay off. I did like the addition of Lil, but this book had so many slow spots it took me a long time to finish. Hopef
Tammie
May 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is quickly turning into a favorite series. Sometimes I get very emotionally invested in the characters I read about. Parts of this book near the end had me tearing up. I can't wait to read what happens in the next one!

Review also posted at Writings of a Reader
Dichotomy Girl
I've listened to 2 hours of this on audiobook, and I really don't think I can take another 18 hours. I'm just finding it very "meh".
Leah
Mar 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
As with my review of the first book in the Green Rider series, this is based on my second reading of the book. And once again, my initial review of four stars stands, but this comes after much debate, because my four stars for First Rider's Call is very different than my four stars for Green Rider. This is one of those times at which I truly wish there were a way to rate a book with four and a half stars, because First Rider's Call honestly deserves it.

Between books, Britain developed as a write
Bookish Linguist
Dec 04, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fae, fantasy, magic
I really liked the first book Green Rider. It was not amazing, but a solid enjoyable fantasy that had strong characters and a plot full of action.

This book however was very disappointing to me. I would even go as far to say I didn't like it.

The characters seemed to be so confused. Not in a planned way; no one had any idea what was going on; but as if the author didn't know what was going on and was being dragged along with no control of the plot. Everything was twisting in circles and when you
Andrea O'Brien
Mar 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Mar 13, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This volume was noticeably better than the first, in my opinion. Kristen Britain's writing seems to have matured, and the plot and character development are definitely stronger. Britain also manages to successfully weave multiple story threads together in a way that makes the story richer, rather than cluttered, as if often the case when authors attempt to do so. Although the first volume was supposed to be exciting, I personally found it a little dull and generic, an obvious combination of Merc ...more
Lisa Lenox
Jan 27, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: orphans
This is pretty awful. Oh who am I kidding. It's one of the worst books I've tried to for e myself to read in a very, very long time.
And come on people- sticking an apostrophe in the middle of a bunch of letters does not make the name exotic sounding. It just makes it ridiculously unpronounceable.
I bought the book because I read the first one and it wasn't awful. I must have been unbelievably bored at the time. Or drugged. That's it. I was drugged. Drugged I say!
Férial
Nov 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars actually just because I had hard times getting away from the book. That's THE sign. The sign that shows me I love a story and the way it is told.

Completely devastated by Zachary's choice but proud of Karigan's reaction to the gift. I guess there won't be a happy ending for these two. Makes me sad. Really sad. I so much like happy endings.

Anyway, there are still plenty of adventures ahead for Karigan. On my way to book 3
Martha Hurley
Feb 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. Much better than the last (even though I liked 'Green Rider' a lot). Full of magic and adventure with interesting characters that I felt really invested in.

For more details on my thoughts please read my review on my blog.
Adrianna [SypherLily]
Feb 18, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
This series is fantastic. This felt slower than the first, but there were a lot of chilling moments where we find out so much of the past and more about the enemy and how he came to be. We discover more of Karigan's ancestry and on the first rider, Lil. Overall a great sequel, and I look forward to continuing!
Alison
Nov 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book more than the first one - there was more of everything I enjoyed from the first book with even more magic. The pace seemed better and it wasn't as slow to start, and it swept me up straight away. I love how Karigan grows through this book, as she accepts who she is and what she has to do. I'm really enjoying the series so far!
Maria Pittarelli
Jan 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Finally I've found a new series to love!!!! Horses, magic, good characters, good plot, lots of books published. Yum.
Andrea
Sep 19, 2018 rated it did not like it
Fantasy Buddy Reads: First Rider's Call 27 45 Jun 26, 2017 11:03AM
Goodreads Librari...: Combine editions of First Rider's Call 2 18 Jun 25, 2013 06:50PM
  • Cast in Secret (Chronicles of Elantra, #3)
  • Wolf's Head, Wolf's Heart (Firekeeper Saga, #2)
  • The Lesser Kindred (The Tale of Lanen Kaelar, #2)
  • Path of Fate (Path, #1)
  • Reader and Raelynx (Twelve Houses, #4)
  • Exile's Valor (Heralds of Valdemar, #7)
  • Heroes at Risk (Hero, #4)
  • Princess at Sea (Princess, #2)
  • Elvenblood (Halfblood Chronicles, #2)
  • Treason Keep (Hythrun Chronicles: Demon Child, #2)
Kristen Britain grew up in the Finger Lakes region of New York State, where she started her first novel - an undersea fantasy featuring herself and her friends - at the age of nine. She published her first book, a cartoon collection called Horses and Horsepeople, at the age of thirteen. After completing her degree in film production at Ithaca College in 1987 she made the logical (?!) leap from cin ...more

Green Rider (6 books)
  • Green Rider (Green Rider, #1)
  • The High King's Tomb (Green Rider, #3)
  • Blackveil (Green Rider, #4)
  • Mirror Sight (Green Rider, #5)
  • Firebrand (Green Rider, #6)
“They come in injured and mangled, we put them back together, then they stand in my halls making demands. A thankless lot to be sure.” 26 likes
“Reveal yourself, mage! Only a coward stays cloaked in invisibility.” 13 likes